• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the stupidest thing you've done related to gaming? The Mooreberg appreciation thread 😂

GrayDock

Pre-ordered PS3's Lair... Never finished...
On the HW side I found a 3DO FZ10 on the garbage, it looked OK so I took it home, cleaned it, did some basic check (plugged on the wall and no strange smells or noises), connect it to my TV and poof, damaged my 1 month hold Sony Bravia 3D 50" TV...

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Sold a box full of factory sealed nes and snes games individually, back in the early 2000s that I grabbed from Toys R Us on clearance when they cleared them out. Yep, this included copies of Metroid, Final Fantasy 2 and 3, Chrono Trigger, Zelda, Super Punchout, etc…I have a panic attack every time I look at the resale prices on EBay completed listings now. That box values in the range of $50,000-$60,000 now. I’m not even going to share the total I probably got for them, because that’s depression.

Last edited:
Pre-ordered PS3's Lair... Never finished...
On the HW side I found a 3DO FZ10 on the garbage, it looked OK so I took it home, cleaned it, did some basic check (plugged on the wall and no strange smells or noises), connect it to my TV and poof, damaged my 1 month hold Sony Bravia 3D 50" TV...

Holy shit. Now that's a name I haven't heard in years. Makes me want to go back to the E3 shows in PS3's launch year.

Last edited:

Zarak

Selling my game collection back in 2001. I had a ton of now extremely valuable games. All the PS1 rpg's, like 50 saturn games and a ton more. I got like 300 for the everything. Probably 50k worth of games if I sold them today.

Solidus_T

Banned
Haha wow.

It's a PC mate. I managed to rebuild it, currently has my old 2070 super ryzen 5 2600 in it. I built it completely by hand, no templates completely custom. Rotating screen, Wii mote light guns, pinball buttons. 22 emulators and mame with a custom maximus arcade frontend.
TiCxex3.jpeg
6lB0QuL.jpeg
c00Yjti.jpeg
Let's see what you built you piece of shit 😂
You are a champ for building this with a Sega Astro/Blast button layout

Ceadeus

Returned Final Fantasy Tactics to buy the game One for PS1(which was terrible).

Yes, I did get another FFT copy later on thankfully that I still own today.

Traded in valuable games that are worth a fuck ton today.
You don't even wanna know what I traded younger for small change at the pawn shop. Do you know Earthbound?

Yeah.... It still breaks my heart ahah!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
In the past i may or may have not connected the hdmi\vga cable into the motherboard instead of the gpu and panicked for 2 min because i had no signal, probably did the same with at least one console.

I bought a wii even if i hate motion controls (at least i enjoyed madworld and red steel 2)

I bought the disgusting remilk of ff7 part one in digital at full price so i can't even re-sell that piece of shit, like adding salt to the injury.

Gaelyon

I did play original Dark Souls on my original PS3 back in the day. Then the disk drive fails and the blue ray of DS got stuck inside.
I ordered a new non official blue ray drive and tinkered the PS3. Managed to replace the disk drive, and managed to remove the dark souls disk.
Then I booted up the PS3, insert the DS disk, and the new BR drive instantly die, with the DS disk stuck again.

After that I tried to dismount this junk but never succeed, distord the drive and couldn't remove the disk.
Finally I put the PS3 aside and bought a new slim one. To this day I've still got the useless OG PS3 in a closet with the DS disk still stuck inside. (I bought DS on steam to finish it after that)

Last edited:

kyussman

I went with an OG Xbox and a Gamecube......but no PS2.I have been a huge PlayStation fan over the years owning PS1,PS3 and PS4,skipping PS2 meant I missed out on a lot of great games,luckily I was able to play a lot of them when they got HD updates on PS3.Looking back I don't know what I was thinking,I guess I was swayed by the better graphics because I ended up selling those consoles to be a PC gamer for a couple of years before returning to consoles with a PS3.

Hudo

Gold Member
  • During my WoW phase, when Burning Crusade was about to come out, I preordered it. After realizing that the shipping wouldn't make it in time, I went to a store and bought it again, so I could play it on launch day. Repated the same mistake with Wrath of the Lich King...
  • I went to an Xbox link party where we all played Halo. I deliberately sniped a guy a couple of matches. He lost his shit, went over to my side of the hall and wanted to punch me, I defended myself with the original Xbox Duke controller, beating that guy up with it (I still have that controller and it still works).
  • Sold my GameBoy Color because I was a retarded teenager and it wasn't "cool". I regret it to this day.
  • Buying Hellgate: London

tommib

Gold Member
Buying a series s.
I got one and sold it 3 months after for the same price. Just because I could finally find a PS5 available.

I don’t think it’s a bad console but it is indeed severely limited, specially on storage.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Haha wow.

It's a PC mate. I managed to rebuild it, currently has my old 2070 super ryzen 5 2600 in it. I built it completely by hand, no templates completely custom. Rotating screen, Wii mote light guns, pinball buttons. 22 emulators and mame with a custom maximus arcade frontend.
TiCxex3.jpeg
6lB0QuL.jpeg
c00Yjti.jpeg
Let's see what you built you piece of shit 😂
ron burgundy GIF

Caio

I was 13 years old, I got my hands on the Strip Poker code lines of the Commodore 64, in order to load the photos of the woman in reverse, that is, I started playing with the naked ones, and as I won, she got dressed. But in reality I wasn't winning anymore :D

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Bought a Xbox one. But you cant blame me, the xbox 360 was great.

Bought a Switch.. yeah this is my fault, I've kwon that nintendo games dont appeal to me anymore (to childish and shitty graphics) but I bought one anyway holding down to my nostalgic feelings, is collecting dust for some time now and I played like 2 games on it.

Mithos

Does buying games for a console you do not own at the time of purchase count?

1. The Elder Scrolls Online (did not own a PS4 at the time I bought it, got one months later).
2. Stellar Blade (I do not own a PS5/Pro and I am not even 100% sure "IF" I will, it's so expensive...)

I don't have one that will top yours 😂 Not even close... That's amazing.

The one I have, is me deleting my Final Fantasy 8 save file, because I was so pissed at that game, the end of the 3rd disk, to be more specific. And then deeply regretting it for years (to this day)

Before that point, FF 8 was going to be my favorite FF. I love the gameplay, the junction system, LOVE Triple Triad, and I was excited to face the Bosses that were going to come (Adel and Ultimecia). It doesn't have be best story, but as game, I deeply enjoyed it.

But the the part in the game where you got to space and everything after it, pretty much was the biggest fell off a game had for me, it was SO embarrassingly bad, writing and plot wise. Everything that made Rinoa fun, completely gone. Everything that made Squall a good protagonist, gone.
I heard the romance was going to be bad, but I didn't expect it to be that bad.

Anyway, long story short, I was so pissed at the game, that I deleted the save.

And months later when I decided to try it again, I found out how excruciatingly slow and boring the first disk is. And I couldn't do it.

I still want to fight Adel and Ultimecia, really bad. But I just can't. The game is such a slog, on replays.

Garibaldi

I bought Marvel Avengers for £3. Still haven't even installed it. I could have bought a meal deal with that money.

I remember buying a game back when I was really little. For my Commodore 64. Think it was Predator or something. My mother hadn't long passed her test so was a bit of a nervous driver. She took me the 12 or so miles to the Metro Center (UK equivalent of your US Malls) parked in the multistorey and we went and bought my game. Unfortunately there was a bomb scare that day (my memory is hazy, it might not have been a bomb, but I remember they evacuated the MC). My mam was so nervous and anxious it took us over 2 hours to just get out of our parking bay and she didn't dare pull into the traffic trying to get out.

I vividly remember being a horrible little selfish brat crying and moaning on that I wanted to get home to play it. She should have left me there to be honest.

Anyway, we eventually got home. My mam stressed to bits. I immediately dumped her and ran upstairs to play it. It didn't work. I'd bought the wrong bloody version hadn't I?

I regularly think about that day as for how much or a little shithead I was and how much I deserved that it didn't work.

Turned 30 a day later.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Haha I'm only playing. I spent like a hundred hours making that thing. When I move it for the first time I dropped it and it just exploded. The rage and anger, sadness and despair was real. Only thing that compares was losing my mum to cancer and I'm not even joking 😂

Shifty1897

I took a week's vacation from work in college to write a 20 page research paper worth like 90% of my grade for a class, but it was the week Symphony of the Night released on the Xbox 360 store and I spent 5 out of the 7 days trying to 100% it. I got a C on the paper and in the class.

One last one, in middle school we were all addicted to this multiplayer browser-based Java game (maybe it was called StarDart?) Anyway, we would frequently play it during school hours whenever we could, even though it was explicitly forbidden at our school. I attacked one kid's base during lunch one day and destroyed it. He saw me walking to my next class and literally beat the shit out of me in the hallway. Punched me, slammed my head into a locker. The worst part was I couldn't say anything to anyone without implicating myself, which would get me in more trouble than it was worth (I had strict parents), so I just had to keep quiet about it.

Traded a pair of Air Jordan's for Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2.

Horny teen brain won that day.

Never even got to finish.

Toots

Gold Member
The dumbest thing I’ve ever done was break a controller out of anger. But not by throwing it…

See, I had been playing Master mode in a rhythm game called Gitaroo-Man on PS2, and for anyone who’s attempted that, you know it’s holy-shit-hard. After a few days of attempting the same damn song over and over again, I let loose and threw my controller. Nothing happened, the controller was fine.

But then I got more and more frustrated. I kept throwing the controller. Eventually, I actually spiked it on the floor, and that was enough to finally break my beloved DualShock 2.

But that’s not the controller this post is about.

See, after saving up a bit of money and buying a new controller, I decided I obviously couldn’t afford throwing the controller anymore, and promised myself I wouldn’t throw another one. But, stupidly, I kept playing the unbeatable level in Gitaroo-Man.

The frustration kept building, failure after failure. But I held true and did not throw the controller. Instead, I just started gripping it. HARD. Every time I failed, I squeezed the controller harder and harder, with my knuckles going full white and my hands getting a bit tingly.

But I kept playing.

Over ONE WEEK LATER, I still hadn’t beaten this level. But I was close, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a few solid runs, where I made it to the final batch of notes, only to lose it all. The anger continued to build, but my controller remained safe.

Until one run. THE run. I was nailing all of the notes, it was the best I had done, and I knew that if I could just get through the last section, I’d finally conquer this song. There it was… the finish line. The final few notes. Victory was almost mine.

Then it happened. I failed on the VERY. LAST. NOTE. I literally could not have been ANY closer.

The rage boiled over. I could only see red. I squeezed my controller harder than I ever have, but it wasn’t enough. My desire- no, NEED to throw that fucking controller could not be suppressed, but I made myself a promise.

That’s when, in a blurry primal rage, instead of throwing the controller, I went the other direction; I SLAMMED the controller RIGHT on my fucking face. I hit my stupid head SO HARD with that controller, that BOTH analog sticks snapped inward and went limp. I had broken a controller on my face.

The worst part was that I had two circular, analog stick-sized bruises on my forehead for the next few days, which I tried to explain at school that it was some sports accident. (No one was buying it.)

Since then, I don’t think I’ve thrown or broken a controller out of rage. I took a break from Gitaroo-Man for about a month, and when I finally came back, I beat that song on my THIRD try.

That’s definitely the dumbest gaming thing I’ve ever done.
What a storyteller, you had me in tears :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Every time I failed, I squeezed the controller harder and harder, with my knuckles going full white and my hands getting a bit tingly.
Bitcoin Crypto GIF

My dumbest gaming moment was vacuuming one day near my switched on PS4. Tried to go behind the TV stand, hit the console electrical outlet. It shut off immediately. I turn it back on to an error message telling me i done goofed and now i need to factory reset it. Lost all my saves, screenshots, etc. but at least it taught me to shut down any appliance when vacuuming or dusting a room.

Last edited:
Bought Dark Souls because a friend pestered me for two weeks about it. Got to the Gargoyle fight and rage quit so hard that I returned the game to GameStop.

That night all I could think about were other tactics and what ifs and I had to go back and buy the game...again. I forgot how much $$$ I lost total but what a fucking idiot lol.

Reaseru

Got scammed by a "friend" in school at the end of the year as a kid, who "borrowed" my Sonic 3 for some really shitty games. Think they were Sword of Sodan, World of Illusion and some top down Shooter. Went to his place after a month and found out his whole family moved to another city. Fuck people like this, I never forgot about it. Betrayal.
I can relate with that. With me it was my Megadrive "Wonder Boy in Monster World" for that shitty "Micro Machines" game, for the same system. The first time I felt disappointed with myself for trusting people.

Last edited:

_Ex_

Gold Member
Back in the late '90s, when emulation was taking off like a rocket, I gave away loads of my 8 and 16-bit console games, because I liked emulation better. Nowadays those games would be worth a small fortune. Back then it was inconceivable the kind of prices 80s/90s console games would command on today's market.

Billbofet

Gold Member
Bought an Ouya and after spending days getting it set up with emulators and games, I then tried to convince a few friends that it was great.
I played it maybe 15 minutes total after putting all that work in.
Worst. Controller. Ever!!!

El Muerto

My mom took me to a video game store for my birthday to pick out a game. I had a SNES at the time. It was getting close to closing time and my mom had to be at work soon. I played a couple games like Castlevania 4, R-type, and checked out Beethovens 2nd last. The clerk said he's about to close so no more testing games. My mom is telling me to hurry up. Me being a dumbass autistic 8yr old self was like "uhhh uhhh, i'll take Beethoven's 2nd please". My mom and the clerk were like "ArE yOu SuRe?' I said yep. Ngl, i felt pretty proud beating that shit. But my brothers wanted to whoop my ass for not bringing home Castlevania 4.

nush

Gold Member
Saw a boxed Xbox 360 in a charity shop/thrift store a few months after the consoles release for only £15. "Fuuuu bargain of the century!" rushed to the counter and brought it. Got it back to the office and bragged about my good luck, then opened the box. There was an OG Xbox inside.

While still an excellent price at the time for that console I had the absolute piss ripped out of me by my colleagues. Much "I can mod it and it's great for emulation" cope could be heard from me all afternoon.

DryvBy

I had 35 hours in Terraria and stopped playing. Randomly one day a friend asked me if I wanted to run through Terraria with him, which I was really confused. Turns out, there's bosses and good loot hidden around. I thought the game was about building up a giant castle and digging for materials around the area. I had never ventured too far and was constantly rebuilding my castle with newer material.

Top Bottom