• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the stupidest thing you've done related to gaming? The Mooreberg appreciation thread šŸ˜‚

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Parents wouldn't buy me Pokemon cards they were the shit when I was in 7th grade (99-2000)

would skip lunch and trade my pizza, taco bell ect. for any Pokemon cards I could get and starve all day I was a fiend

my low point was trading a whole N64 w/ smash bros, mario, tony hawk, wcw/nwo revenge for my friends Pokemon card collection and WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game for PSX *sigh*

I finally had some very decent and rare cards but Pokemon went out of style for my age group basically the next week

I had what I have wanted for over a year but it didn't matter anymore

my mother finally caved and bought me digimon cards which I ended up liking way more and everyone envied me for because they were harder to find

GHound

Gold Member
A toss up between buying the same game multiple times because reasons and playing competitive shooters ranked modes while wasted.
I still just barely remember getting so hammered one night all I could do was lazily drift in a circle.

Last edited:

Vandole

Probably when I let my girlfriend keep my NES, SNES, and all my games over at her apartment. The thought behind it was, I was pretty much only playing PS2 games at the time and my older consoles were pretty much gathering dust. She liked to play all the Kirby games so it would give her something to do, and when I was hanging out at her apartment while she was in class or working, I'd have something to do.

Then we broke up. And it was ugly.

Pretty much the first words out of her mouth were, "You're never getting your games back." A few years later, that collection of games probably was worth thousands of dollars. It still was a small price to pay from getting away from her crazy ass, but it was definitely a mistake.

Alebrije

Amanda Seyfried I Have Questions GIF by PBS SoCal
Short story bought the CE , played the Game like 1 hour it was crap ,so returned it to the box..the other stuff was Also low Quality so Put the box on My closet..

Years later was buying some games and saw the CE on a Nice price, go it and when was loading the Game saw something familiar ...then realized I had the same Game on My closet.

On My favor I have a Big videogame and CD collection sometimes I don't remember what I own this happens no only with videogames ,by example have two copies of Iron Maiden the book of souls.

But the Aliens CE is the the biggest "Black out" of My memory since I play videogames. Also te Game resulted crap.

Danknugz

MS reset my gamer score from 230k to 0 in 2016 and since then i have this OCD complex about reclaiming my score, so i'll waste time playing stupid games to try and claw it back.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I mean auto shut down. Motherboards usually have overheat protection.
I guess that one didn't. By the time that happened the computer was already quite old.

PC just shut down and never was able to turn it on again.

SHA

Buying all Nintendo exclusives, it's not that bad actually but clearly I did a poor job to find what I like.

I purchased final fantasy 13 and played it thinking it was going to be good.

What a fucking idiot I was playing that turd on a disc.
haha I remember the same, I was like 40 hours in and I always thought that at some point it will unlock the RPG elements to it.

OneBigPuss

I bought a ps3 game on ps store that was multiplayer only but servers were shut down few months before my purchase.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Not my story, but this one I find funny to this day.
I meet the guy who leak Mortal Kombat 9, during the marketing campaign of Mortal Kombat 9, the game was being printed here in Manaus to a worldwide launch, some copies were stolen and sold, he bought a copy from someone at the street without cover, only the disk and instead of enjoying the game ahead of everyone quiet, he went to forums to brag about it, when people ask him proof he spoiled all characters that Warner were revealing in different shows. The police raid his house, take his PS3, games and even TV as evidence, he barely avoided prison. We meet during a gathering of PS3 owners in Manaus. I never saw him again. For a while, every time someone f*ck up online, people call them Kaleb. šŸ¤£

kaleb-mortalkombat-580x312.jpg

hollams

Gold Member
Last week I took off the protective covers on the end of my Sim Rig to change out my seat. During the process I hit my knee on the exposed profile and put a 3 inch gash on my knee. Luckily it wasn't quite deep enough for stitches but I had to take it easy for a week so I didn't pull the wound apart.

When the first Diablo came out I drove home from lunch for a week which was about 20 minutes away so I only got to play for 20-25 minutes before having to head back.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
warning: boring for anyone who didn't work on PCs in the 90s.

1997. My friend and I had just got Diablo and played it together using null-modem serial connection. We got a bit into the game, and my HDD crashed for some reason. A HDD head crash. It was toast. The HDD was relatively new, I got a replacement from the store. I lost my Diablo character and had to start over. The next day, the same thing happened. HDD head crash. Lost everything again. I bought my own HDD and started anew. That night, another HDD crash.

I had always built my own PCs. When I had initially put in this new HDD, I got lazy. I couldn't access the screws for one side of the HDD without taking out the entire motherboard, so I had only screwed in one side of the HDD to the case. I finally realized that the vibrations from my new 8x CDROM drive when a disc was spinning was causing the HDD to vibrate and cause the head crash. I did the extra work, put in the other screws, and had no HDD problems after that.

Last edited:

clintar

past out in underwear pizza slices covered in game cases peoples woked me up laughing
So you made your own underwear out of pizza slices? Genius!

Edit: mine is lending my week old Dreamcast with Skies of Arcadia to my cousin. He moved 3 weeks later and sold it a few months later. I never had a Dreamcast again and never played that game. He made sure to tell me how good it was, though.

Last edited:
Stupidest thing i've done was pay full retail price for Octopath Traveller, and i bought it digitally so i can't even get rid of it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
The stupidest thing I ever do in regards to videogames is to sell everything I own. I blame this on recurring bouts of a disease I like to call "Adult-itis." It's a terrible affliction where you feel compelled to "act your age" and be a responsible adult.

Consoles and games that I have sold in the past include: Atari 2600, Atari Jaguar, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Wii, Switch OLED, Super NES "Mini," a stack of Genesis cartridges in the box, and a little obscurity called "Panzer Dragoon Saga."

How foolish. Eventually, you do realize that you had all the answers to life when you were a child surrounded by your favorite toys, a group of close friends, and not a care in the world. Everything they sold you--Career, Marriage, The Adult World--evaporates into dust. Just like our own dear selves.

Joy.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
Sold my Sega Genesis and all of my games and used that to help me buy a N64, the N64 is probably in my top three consoles of all time so at least that but still a dumb move because I had a lot of great games, thank fuck for emulation.

Sold my PS1 including all of my games. It was when I bought my first car, I had a job at the time where I was making minimum wage but I was living at home, I didnā€™t even really need the money but it just helped me fix the car up quicker, selling it was a huge mistake.

Brought my Game Boy to the same job and left it in the lunchroom, would play it occasionally and let other people play it, some piece of shit who worked there brought in their broken GB and swapped it with mine and I got left with a paper weight, not only that but mine was in good condition and I had it since childhood, it was a birthday gift from my father and he played it sometimes too. I now have that broken Game Boy framed as a decorative piece on my wall in my game room, so itā€™s not a total loss but still.

I let one of my friends borrow a game, and I when I got it back it was scratched up.

What I learned from these are, I never get rid of consoles, never sell or trade-in games unless if Iā€™m certain not a fan of them, never let people borrow anything unless if I really trust them.

Also, I guess this is dumb in a financial sense, but Iā€™ve bought way too many games on a whim or just because and they are in my backlog and I will likely never get to them.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Gold Member
I bought this. It was the first betrayal I ever experienced from Bethesda. I also convinced like 8 of my friends to buy it.

BRINK_%28game_box_art%29.jpg
My brother and I were so excited for this. We each got a copy. Instant disappointment.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

True story.

Banged my friends mom when I was sixteen. She bought me Joe Montana football. she was 38, she was a milf who's husband quit paying attention to her.

How does this happen? When your friends mom let's him have parties and buys the beers and everyone passes out.

But yes she said she would buy me that football game I wanted and she did.

me , my cousin and my bro , stayed up all night to to bike to the videogame store (which was about a hour away biking distance), just to go and reserve to rent the Japanese N64 with Mario 64, we almost died on the way there and it wasn't 100% sure we would be able to rent it !
good fucking times man

Leonidas

Probably selling a bunch of low value games to GameStop a long time ago.

I got them back though in various trade-ins over the years (me selling a "broken" system to them and getting full value, and buying/trading in a bunch of games when they gave more trade-in value than the games cost at their own stores.

Top Bottom