• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's with Akira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCX

DCX
I don't know, maybe i'm just not following, but what is up with the story?? By the end of it i'm left with a WTF just happened look. I mean i followed most of it, but the ending fucked me up bad.

DCX

way more

I saw it for the first time recently and thought it fit together pretty well. All except for that scientist, "We're watching the creation of the Universe." That was a real red herring.
I really don't know how to expain any of it except that a lot of Japanese creations seem to employ the same themes and maybe it's just a popcorn movie from the past, the 80's was it?

Chrono

Banned
The same thing with me, except I read the 12 volume manga and then watched the movie. Yet I still had a "wtf" face on me when it ended.

We're just talking about this in the Inuyasha thread. In Akira's case, they took about 20% of the manga and put it in a 2 hour (?) movie. Of course it ended up making no sense. The manga absolutley ROCKS though. Characters who only show up for 30 seconds in the movie are practically main supporting characters in the manga with PLENTY of development.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Akira is a shitty movie.

Maybe I'll try reading the manga one day, but it's not high on my priority list.

Here's my take on getting the manga to follow the story:

It'll help you understand the basic themes that the movie follows, but it wouldn't explain the plot. Most people tend to look at the movie as a badly compressed version of the manga. It however, isn't. I consider it a retelling of the themes, with it's own original plot (which has been done quite a few times in movies based on longer anime series and manga). I look at them as two different beasts, that share the same characters and overall goal in storytelling.

My suggestion, just watch the movie again. It didn't really sink in with me until the second viewing.

The manga however, is one hell of a read and should be read on it's own merits. Not as some kind of guide to go along with the movie.

DCX

DCX
ConfusingJazz said:
Obviously what happened is that Tetsuo bought the Dawson's Creek trapper keeper, which grew out of control. Past that, I have no idea.
LOL I Understand now

I'll re-watch tomorrow morning...that way i can concentrate and no drift off.

DCX

SKluck

Banned
I just saw it the first time last week. It was interesting, entertaining, don't really know what the fuck it was about though.

It was pretty cool when Tetsuo was walking down a hallway in that base (or hospital, whatever) after he was captured, and he made those guards just explode and plaster the walls with guts.

DCX

DCX
I like the movies alot...it just want to follow it enough to explain to someone else...that is the true sign of "getting" the movie.

DCX

I liked the movie very much, but it was a little hard to understand at times. I think I got it though. However, I have completely forgotten the entire movie by now, and I'm due for a re-watch.

DJ_Tet

Banned
It's one of my favorite movies. The manga are incredible as well, I'm partial to the original american dub rather than the special edition tin that I currently have.

It's half of my user name, I love this flick. It shits all over Ghost In The Shell as well...

GDGF

Soothsayer
DJ_Tet said:
, I'm partial to the original american dub rather than the special edition tin that I currently have.

Damn skippy. The original dub is so much better than the SE it's not even funny. Better voice talent and more memorable lines.

Wait for the wind. Wait for the wind called Akira!

XS+

Banned
Chrono said:
Characters who only show up for 30 seconds in the movie are practically main supporting characters in the manga with PLENTY of development.
Yup, and vice versa.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Error Macro said:
So DJ_Tet is from Tetsuo? Didn't know that. That's cool.

yeah and the DJ is from Moby, before he turned into a rock god. It all started from a group (duo) I was in called Ziggy Tetsuo. I was Tetsuo, the guitar player, while Ziggy was the keyboardist/singer. We never really got off the ground, but we had a cool name ;)

Ziggy from David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust and Tetsuo from Akira.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom