• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your go to Live Service game?

I have only regularly played a handful of live service games in my life, but HD2 got its claws in me at the moment. Apex Legends was my got to for like 4 years straight. I think I'm burned out on it though. I have not played it for over a year. The crossover stuff is a turn off for me, honestly

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
MTGA. It’s fun to get stoned and throw together dumb historic decks and play them in ranked.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bit of a crap spot for me at the moment.

Splatoon 3 and Rocket League are the only 2 I’d class as live service. Although I also play Smash Ultimate, MK8D and Tetris 99 a lot.

Apex is unplayable on Switch, and I only found it semi-decent. Fortnite I don’t gel with.

If MCC came to Switch 2 I’d play that daily. Infinite I would dabble in to see what the current state of play is. Sea of Thieves I’d play a little.

acidagfc

Path of Exile for the past 8-9 years.
I don't play it all the time, but I get back for a few weeks with each new season/expansion.

PoE2 is looking to become my next obsession.

I also played Warframe for a while, it is great too.

T0minator

My current go to Live Service game is Sea of Thieves. Great game with a great gameplay loop and tons of content.
What exactly do you do in Sea of Thieves? When it originally released it didn't appeal to me but it seems to have a healthy community, especially now on PS.

I'm interested in checking it out

T0minator

I think it's going to be a revelation. Bigger (and better) than Helldivers 2.
As long as it releases packed with content, a decent amount of maps and cool unlocks it'll do well. I'm sure PlayStation will market the hell out of it now that their marketing for CoD is gone. I'm hoping it's really good too

Havoc2049

What exactly do you do in Sea of Thieves? When it originally released it didn't appeal to me but it seems to have a healthy community, especially now on PS.

I'm interested in checking it out
Sea of Thieves has three gameplay pillars:

The main game:
  • Your main goal here is to become a Pirate Legend and reach end game activities. There are factions to join to level up in your quest to become Pirate Legend. Each of the factions has various mission types and goals. There is also an Athena faction (good) vs Reaper faction (evil). There is also an overall storyline and struggle of Athena vs Reaper in the main open world game.
  • Various world events, like Skeleton Forts and Fleets, seasonal events, Sea of Thieves Adventures, Sea of Thieves Mysteries, one time story events, random world events, exploration, etc., etc.
  • Guilds - Join player created guilds and level up your guild.
PvP Mode:
  • Hourglass - Join Athena (good) or Reapers (evil), dive and battle it out in ship v ship combat. This replaced the old Sea Dogs Arena PvP mode.
Tall Tales:
  • Gold Horder storyline (The 9 original Tall Tales)
  • Flameheart storyline (2 additional Tall Tales and possibly continuing in Season 14)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean storyline
  • Secret of Monkey Island storyline

Last edited:

Fbh

Rocket League.
I've always liked the simplicity that still allows for a very high skill ceiling. Other than a few hitbox differences between the various cars everyone is on even ground, there's no loadout or customization or different characters with unique abilities. It's why I always liked a lot of arena shooters too, like in Halo everyone spawns with the same skills and weapons.

It also means it's relatively easy to drop and pick up again. Because you won't come back to some new "meta" where everything is different and there's some new weapons and people will shit on you if you pick the car that was good the last time you played but now it no longer is. While there's advanced moves and people will give you shit for playing poorly, the game has remained relatively unchanged since I started playing back when it first launched.

Also there's 1Vs1 up to 4Vs4 so you never have to play with randos if you don't want to and no friend is online to play.

Superkewl

Am I correct that there is no way to play the game alone? I like the game, but I need practice to get used to the controls, in particular against stronger enemies. I would like to do practice runs just on my own to try things out without angering anyone, but that is not possible, is it?
No, unfortunately, no solo mode yet. I would just play on the lower difficulties till you feel comfortable enough to move up. I usually just bounce between difficulty 3 or 4, depending on how good the randos are that day.

bender

What time is it?
Rocket League.
I've always liked the simplicity that still allows for a very high skill ceiling. Other than a few hitbox differences between the various cars everyone is on even ground, there's no loadout or customization or different characters with unique abilities. It's why I always liked a lot of arena shooters too, like in Halo everyone spawns with the same skills and weapons.

It also means it's relatively easy to drop and pick up again. Because you won't come back to some new "meta" where everything is different and there's some new weapons and people will shit on you if you pick the car that was good the last time you played but now it no longer is. While there's advanced moves and people will give you shit for playing poorly, the game has remained relatively unchanged since I started playing back when it first launched.

Also there's 1Vs1 up to 4Vs4 so you never have to play with randos if you don't want to and no friend is online to play.

Heh. Rocket League is one of my favorite games ever and what pushed me away is how they monetized it, especially after it went free to play. Considering the thousands of hours of playtime I had in the game, I wanted to support it but loot boxes with ridiculous drop rates were replaced with cosmetics that were grossly overpriced.

Fbh

Heh. Rocket League is one of my favorite games ever and what pushed me away is how they monetized it, especially after it went free to play. Considering the thousands of hours of playtime I had in the game, I wanted to support it but loot boxes with ridiculous drop rates were replaced with cosmetics that were grossly overpriced.

While the cosmetics are indeed hilariously overpriced, I can't say I ever cared.
It's just visual stuff that doesn't affect gameplay, and you still get a decent selection of options for free to give you car some personality.

But yeah I'm not paying $20 for a fucking goal explosion.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Gran Turismo 7.
sad walking dead GIF

Dynasty8

Destiny 2. Gameplay is amazing and it scratches an itch that can't be found anywhere else. Have to be sure to take breaks though, not just from this game, but all live service games in order to not get burned out.

T0minator

Gran Turismo 7.
I've played a bit too much of GT7 this last year over 500 hours including on PSVR2.

I'd say

GT7
Helldivers 2
Halo Infinite
FallGuys

Have all taken up my time for live service games. Idk if I. An add another in there with the family... There's too many great games out there. Gaming rut...yea right.

mdkirby

Helldivers 2. And before that it was helldivers 1, if that even counts given they stopped adding stuff years ago and don’t have microtransactions.

That’s it 🤷‍♂️

Tried destiny1 and overwatch1 for a bit, but they didn’t stick for long. Only helldivers managed the same feeling that halo 1 & 2 managed back in uni days, and managed to get the “bunch of friends playing together for fun” vibe down…even if it’s online now and not sat in a room together with a quarter of a screen and some smoke.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
The "I love being treated as a product and pushed to play a game out of FOMO items & stuff that will not be available anymore" thread.

There i said it 👀.

Now BRACE for impact 👀.

Plz don't eat me 👀.

Last edited:
I play the free quarterly tracks in Trackmania, now limited to just 10 while it were 25 before, and I think I might subscribe for one year once to get the track of the day, gold and author medal trophies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves has three gameplay pillars:

The main game:
  • Your main goal here is to become a Pirate Legend and reach end game activities. There are factions to join to level up in your quest to become Pirate Legend. Each of the factions has various mission types and goals. There is also an Athena faction (good) vs Reaper faction (evil). There is also an overall storyline and struggle of Athena vs Reaper in the main open world game.
  • Various world events, like Skeleton Forts and Fleets, seasonal events, Sea of Thieves Adventures, Sea of Thieves Mysteries, one time story events, random world events, exploration, etc., etc.
  • Guilds - Join player created guilds and level up your guild.
PvP Mode:
  • Hourglass - Join Athena (good) or Reapers (evil), dive and battle it out in ship v ship combat. This replaced the old Sea Dogs Arena PvP mode.
Tall Tales:
  • Gold Horder storyline (The 9 original Tall Tales)
  • Flameheart storyline (2 additional Tall Tales and possibly continuing in Season 14)
  • Pirates of the Caribbean storyline
  • Secret of Monkey Island storyline

And they also constantly add new stuff to do with every season.

Last season they added the Skull of Siren Song voyage.

This is literally a recreation of the ending of POTC: Dead Man's Chest where everyone is competing to find a skull to turn it in (it sells for 50,000 gold so it's worth it).

You get the quest and you need to find a chest and then its key. Unlocking the chest gives you the skull. As soon as ANYONE picks up the chest, key, or skull they're visible to EVERYONE on the map and they have a giant blue beacon coming off their ship that can be seen from almost anywhere in the game.

It's so fun. I've had Galleons chasing brigs chasing sloops to get the stuff.

UPHSI6.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom