• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your laptop?

What's your current laptop?

• Total voters

Go_Ly_Dow

I've been rocking an Asus Vivobook 14 OLED for just over 2 years. It's got a very nice 16:10, 2880x1800, 90hz OLED screen with high accuracy..

Decent specs for general use (Office software, emails and having a lot of Chrome tabs open): AMD Ryzen 5-5600H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

The hinge is starting to show some minor issues. My next laptop will be either the Asus Zenbook 14 2023 variant or I'll wait for the 2025 model which could have an ARM processor. I'll never buy a Lenovo again as my last one the hinge came apart after just 11 months.

This is my go to guy for laptop reviews: https://www.youtube.com/@JustJoshTech/videos

What you got GAF and how's it treating you?

Last edited:

Kilau

I have several brands but my main “daily driver” is an Asus ROG Strix G17

I’m very happy with it but not sure what I’m doing when I upgrade. Probably a cheaper laptop and a SFF gaming PC.

Last edited:
I have an Asus TUF F15. Not too happy with it. Frequent blue screens, noisy fans that need to be cleaned very often (No, I don't use it in bed) and several other minor complaints. I've heard Asus customer service is horrible, so I don't think I'll take my chances again.

Quasicat

Gold Member
I bought a Magic Keyboard along with a standup case for my iPad. I only used my laptop for word processing and even then that only happened once a year or so. Now that my school desktop is completely on OneDrive, I use it more than the school supplied Surface that runs crazy slow compared to my iPad. I was looking at a gaming laptop at one point, but I don’t think I would use it any more than my Steam Deck.

GHG

I have an older Dell that now runs Linux and a HP omen 15 that runs Windows 10.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I used to own a bunch of shitty craptops that broke down on me and since getting a desktop I've sworn off them. Maybe that'll change when I get a Macbook or one of those new Snapdragon powered Win systems, but I think I prefer the reliability and customization of a regular old PC.

Sorry for injecting myself on a thread that has nothing to do with me. I like to talk

Last edited:

Aesius

Dell 7559 from 2016. i7 7600HQ with a 960M GPU. Incredibly, I found out only a few years ago that the monitor can be overclocked to 100hz perfectly. It still runs great, which is hard to believe since it's nearly a decade old. Plays old games well, too (I played Dark Souls Remastered and DS2: SotFS on it not long ago).

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m in a dell right now from work. It’s trash. Had a Lenovo before that was pretty cruddy too. My surface before was the best laptop I’ve ever used.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
2023 Asus G14 zephyrus with a 4060. Got it for $800 from Best Buys. Only use it for destiny so more then I need. I put a 2tb ssd from my ps5 and doubled the ram.

Use a iPad Pro for most of my daily needs.

Last edited:

Hypnotoad

I use a laptop at work and while travelling, but just something to get the job done and watch videos on it during breaks. Got a desktop setup at home anyway, so went with a lower tier Asus Vivobook 14. Size is ideal, screen is a bit dim, but that is to be expected at the price (less than 20,000 TWD, so just over 600 USD new). Thought about getting one with an OLED screen instead, but that would be around 40% more expensive with the same specs. Build quality is better than Acer, and didn't run into any issues so far. Another plus is the small power adapter, since it only needs 45 w.

Specs
Core i5-1335U, 24 GB / 3200MHz of RAM, 512 GB hard drive

4YVpTWa.jpeg

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Had to get rid of my desktops so now i'm currently running an HP victus (13th gen i5) upped the RAM to 32GB, and the M2 to 2tb, with a 3050. I will be building a new desktop soon, but for now, this one does the trick.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MSI Katana 17 B12V. Got it last summer on deal.

It only maxes out at 1080p/144hz I think. But it has a 4070.

Funny thing is I dont even play high end PC games. But my old laptop was falling apart as more and more keyboard buttons stopped working and I think I fucked it up more taking off the keys trying to clean it watching a YT video! LOL.

For the first time ever, I decided to buy a higher end laptop instead of always buying a ~$1000 17" laptop. Gave away my old laptop to my nephew and niece and they attached a USB keyboard to it.

Go_Ly_Dow

I use a laptop at work and while travelling, but just something to get the job done and watch videos on it during breaks. Got a desktop setup at home anyway, so went with a lower tier Asus Vivobook 14. Size is ideal, screen is a bit dim, but that is to be expected at the price (less than 20,000 TWD, so just over 600 USD new). Thought about getting one with an OLED screen instead, but that would be around 40% more expensive with the same specs. Build quality is better than Acer, and didn't run into any issues so far. Another plus is the small power adapter, since it only needs 45 w.

Specs
Core i5-1335U, 24 GB / 3200MHz of RAM, 512 GB hard drive

4YVpTWa.jpeg
That's basically my laptop but with an OLED screen.

The 16:10 screen is wonderful.

Peter303

Acer Predator + 3070. It's a great laptop but the trackpad is unusable, button clicks are really vague so I have to use a mouse.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I have an Asus TUF F15. Not too happy with it. Frequent blue screens, noisy fans that need to be cleaned very often (No, I don't use it in bed) and several other minor complaints. I've heard Asus customer service is horrible, so I don't think I'll take my chances again.
I don't have the software issues at all, but when the fans in my F15 got loud, it got better after I removed the bottom panel, used compressed air all over and then vacuumed all the fans and vents. For what I paid I'm still really happy with it (999 a few years ago for 3070 version). But yeah given the nature of laptops and their customer service, picking an Asus is maybe risky lol.

Sucks about the blue screens, maybe time to try a fresh install?

Haven't owned one since UT2004 and I played the shit out of it on a compaq with specs rivaling that of a Nokia cell phone.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Alienware RTX4070 64gb ram Ryzen 9, do absolutely zero gaming on it tbf, just a work laptop I specc'd although I did run Crysis on it for the craic

They're pricey for what they are but picking up a surface at tax time sales for upgrades keeps me and my work happy enough.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Lenovo Legion Pro 7 16" with AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX and Nvidia 4090.

Does the job, both for work and gaming. I can happily run any game on quiet mode with at least 60fps, which is all I care about.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Lenovo Legion something or other with a mobile 4080 and intel processor (go ahead and laugh bitches.)

But I use mostly Macs for work.

I have 1 Intel MBP from my actual company, and currently in possession of 3 other MBP’s (all M1’s) for the 3 clients I’m currently working with lol.

lachesis

MBP 13” mid 2009.
I put it in the basement hooked up with a left over monitor, basic mouse (track pad no good) - and I sideloaded Catalina(?)

Slow as hell, but sometimes use it for iMessage chat, or light YouTube watching while I lounge around the basement for doing laundry.

As per real laptop - I have company provided MBP (one right before M series) for some software, but don’t use it unless I have some Mac specific projects like Keynote. Mostly I am a desktop guy…

Trilobit

Gold Member
On a Lenovo as I felt it was right for my programming studies and such. But not a day goes by with me not wishing for a Macbook with 32GB of RAM as I really dislike Windows. It has zero taste and lacks the wonderful feel and fluidity of Mac OS.

I really can't emphasize enough how disgusting W11 is design wise. I've managed to get rid of the ugliest UX by downloading Explorer Patcher, removing unnecessary tray icons and overall trying to make it more minimalist. But it's like polishing and perfuming a pig.

Nothing against Lenovo as the laptop itself works without flaws.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have an M2 MacBook Pro, a Microsoft Surface Book 2 i7, a Lenovo P14S i7, and a couple of older Dell 14" i5 Latitudes I picked up at auction for cheap. I run Linux on one of the Dell laptops and Windows 11 on the other Intel laptops. Sometimes I play games on the Surface because it has a GTX 1050 in it. It can play quite a few games at 60 FPS but not at max settings.

RavageX

I actually forgot what mine is, it is pretty old at this point.

Found it. It is a...HP Pavilion 16.1" Laptop - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane

Now, I did change it to 32gb of memory and expanded the storage quite a bit.
I have zero issues playing whatever I want on it still. It did have some issue with Cyberpunk, Dragon's Dogma 2 and Final Fantasy 15, but a patch or two corrected that(except for 15).

I also have a macbook pro, but I don't do a damn thing with it except work stuff and read. Haven't even tried to play a game on it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
M2 Max, spec’d out. I don’t use it for games, but it’s an absolute workhorse and lasts for a stupid amount of time on battery. I will never go back to Windows for a professional use laptop.

I’ve got a Surface Pro as well, but it’s kind of outdated at this point. I would never game on a laptop, and MacBooks are undeniably the best you can get, but you definitely pay the price for it. My laptop was almost 4 grand. But I use it for 8 hours a day, everyday, which makes that price a drop in the bucket compared to how much it better it performs than other options.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have an Alienware gaming laptop, maybe that makes me a normie but I like them. It’s my second one, like five years old but still plays the games I want to play on it. I’d buy another.

Last edited:
Top Bottom