• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does losing a pet hit so hard?

pramod

Banned
I just had to give away my cat because my wife couldnt stand all the cathair amymore.

I feel devastated and am a total wreck. Even though weve only had her for about a year.

I cant even imagine how people feel when their pets die. I will probably never own another pet again just to avoid losing one again.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This. I haven't had to give away a pet but every time one has passed, it has hurt deeply. They are family.

Yep. I am going to be devesated when my dog and cat pass away. Love them both.

I couldn't stay with someone personally if they demanded I give up my pets. There are always alternatives. Allergic? Medication. Hair? A sticky brush will fix that up (and combing the cat/dog).

MastAndo

Yeah, I don't know, OP - no trying to pile on, but that sounds like a pretty shitty reason to part ways with a pet, particularly considering you were attached and forced to do so. It sounds like your heartache and possible resentment means less than some annoyance over cat hair.

We had to put the family cat to sleep when I was 13 (had her my whole life) and the family dog when I was 22 and both situations still play vividly in my mind - just absolutely soul crushing. I have a cat now that I never intended to have - my girlfriend and I had her at her home and when we broke up, she started dating some jerkoff that was allergic, so she was looking to get rid of her. I couldn't take a chance that she would end up in a shitty home so I demanded to take her in at my place. It's almost 10 years later now, she's in the twilight of her life and while in relatively good health (just less nimble), I can't help but think about how gutted I'm going to be when she's gone. This will be the worst one of them all. Ugh.

Last edited:

nush

My dog died recently, shit's hard when they were part of your life for so lomg. I just look at is this way, it's better for me to lose the dog than the other way around because I can understand loss.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Damn dude, sorry to hear that.

If you ever reconsider getting another pet someday, especially one that sheds a lot, get a deshedding tool.

If there’s any way to get the cat back, consider the above recommendation. Not kidding, seriously, a deshedding tool will have you pulling out insane quantities of pet hair, especially now when the winter coats are falling out of every pet.

pramod

Banned
Yep. I am going to be devesated when my dog and cat pass away. Love them both.

I couldn't stay with someone personally if they demanded I give up my pets. There are always alternatives. Allergic? Medication. Hair? A sticky brush will fix that up (and combing the cat/dog).
Well she didnt really demand it but suggested it. The cat was not technically mine since we got it for our teen son, but the cat ended up picking me as her favorite human and so its been an awkward situation. The cat basically spends all day with me and i have to take care of her. I even asked my son "this is your cat so youre going to take her with you when you go to college right?" He said no. So both wife and son agreed to give her away so i figured better i find her another home where she fits in better before i got even more attached. To be honest deep down i was not prepared to take care of her for the rest of her life.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Sorry, man. "Pets" can be good friends. They don't judge, just give, and share affection (and poop sometimes when they can't hold it during the night hours).

winjer

Gold Member
Because they are our best friends.
5 years ago, my dog died at the old age of 16. I knew it was going to happen, but it still hurt a lot.
This is him, 13 years ago, playing ball with me in the backyard.

ORfoMht.jpg

My dog died 2 months ago, had many pets before but this one was really “mine” as I started my own family.
She was 12 years old and had many heart issues , she was inside an oxygen box for complications and doctor said not to let her get exited, next morning when i went to check on her and touch her had she got so excited, passed away at the spot. Her tail moved so fast and I was really happy to see her well after months of bad health (previous dog passed away around 16-18 years old, never euthanize).

I was very sad but this time for some strange reason I got very stressed after she passed away (before was only sad). I keep seeing her or trying to avoid her pee (she was old) and that made me more stressed.

Btw. She died in japan and I did the ritual of burning and separating the bones with chopsticks, I thought I couldn’t do it but actually was the only moment of peace I had.

Last edited:

sleipnir

Neo Member
My eldest son just lost his Bearded Dragon and that hit us all really hard. I would never have thought it possible to become so attached to a lizard, as they are hardly the most interactive of pets, but it was quite devastating. It was made worse by it being sudden and unpleasant; vomiting blood and passing in hours after seeming fine and normal beforehand. I lost a cat as a kid and that was terrible, to the point that I never wanted a pet again, as I couldn't stand the thought of impending loss.

sleipnir

Neo Member
Btw. She died in japan and I did the ritual of burning and separating the bones with chopsticks, I thought I couldn’t do it but actually was the only moment of peace I had.

Wow I had no idea that was a thing in Japan... That sounds like a tough thing to go through. Glad it gave you solace though.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would never let my SO pressure me into giving up a pet if it wasn't medically necessary. Did she have severe allergies or was she just bothered that hair was on her couch?

A friend of mine lost her cat of about 14 years (not sure his age, but that's the time she had him), and she said it was the hardest loss of her life, including losing her dad as a kid.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm one of those people that consider a pet like a family member. It's like losing that.. I can't even think about but when they're a certain age those thoughts will pass through your mind.

I've lived a predominantly seclusive life (beyond some GF's here and there) with my cat. Sounds cliche and a bit hyperbolic but she's everything to me.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
It took me by a quite a surprise when I lost it when watching our 14 y.o. cat's life ebbing out (from massive blood cloths..) at the vet a couple of months ago. At the same time I'm really happy that I can feel something, didn't think.i was quite there anymore.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I remember Neil degrasse saying something when it comes to dog years. I think for every week we live a dog gets a day. That’s why they make sure everyone counts. It’s true. Dogs are always happy no matter their past or even sometimes their health. They only care about the simple things like being with their loved ones. I feel we can learn from them

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I remember Neil degrasse saying something when it comes to dog years. I think for every week we live a dog gets a day. That’s why they make sure everyone counts. It’s true. Dogs are always happy no matter their past or even sometimes their health. They only care about the simple things like being with their loved ones. I feel we can learn from them

I don't think Neil's saying is known to dogs. Not to be an asshole btw.

And yes. Being in the moment instead of being bogged down living in the past or our future insecurities would indeed be something to strive for.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I find it quite curious that while I'm emotionally cut off generally speaking. Watching that Dodo channel occasionally makes me teary eyed.
I think it's the pure bond, love and trust

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I know how that IS. My dog used to get pregnant a lot. For some reason my mom didnt want to castrate her. So we had to say goodbye to a lot pets

But you're lucky, at least your pet is still alive. Recently I had to put my cat down. It's a hundred times worse. Many pet owners end up having to do that eventually. So think positive.

I'd have ditched the GF over the cat. Poor little kitty. I'd have took it and got the fuck outta there.

I've had to put 3 of my cats to sleep. It's god damn heart breaking and one of the worst things I've ever had to do in my life. 2 of them were old and sick so I knew it was a kind thing to do. I could've been selfish and kept them around for longer but I already got ~20 years with both of them and as hard as it was I knew it was the right decision. My other cat was younger at ~15 and he deteriorated really fucking fast. I did notice he was losing some weight but didn't think much of it. Looking back now I wish I hadn't been so fucking stupid and took him to the vet right away. But I did take him when his behaviour totally changed. He was my little best friend and followed me everywhere but he ended up hiding most of the day refusing to come out of the cupboard and the few times he did he looked extremely uncomfortable. That was when I took him to the vet but by that point it was basically too late for him. I let him down. I remember after leaving the vet I went straight home and drank until I blacked out. I hated myself and even now thinking about it I still hate myself for letting him down. He got me through so many tough times and when he needed me I didn't do what was right.

It took me a few years to bring myself to get another cat. Now I have another 3. I try to give them the best life possible and learn from my mistakes. At the slighest hint of anything wrong with them they are off to the vet. My kitten was sneezing a lot when we got her and I was freaking the fuck out lol. When I think about my previous cats I still feel bad knowing I could have looked after them better. This time I am going to do even better for my cats. I know some day I'll need to go through all that shit again with putting them to sleep (or even worse since they are now outdoor cats when my previous ones werent) but I try to enjoy every single moment and day with them. They are my family.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I don't think Neil's saying is known to dogs. Not to be an asshole btw.

And yes. Being in the moment instead of being bogged down living in the past or our future insecurities would indeed be something to strive for.
Ya I know dogs ain’t thinking like that. It’s just gives a little perspective.

badblue

I just had to give away my cat because my wife couldnt stand all the cathair amymore.

I feel devastated and am a total wreck. Even though weve only had her for about a year.

I cant even imagine how people feel when their pets die. I will probably never own another pet again just to avoid losing one again.

I know how you feel. My cat died in January. He was pretty much my emotional support animal after my surgery and I only had him 13 months. That broke me.
I wasn't planning on getting another cat (figured a dog was the only fitting successor) after that but a month or so later, one of my wife's friends invited us over for dinner. He had just gotten married in Vietnam and his wife also didn't like the amount of hair his cats shed and wanted him to rehome them. They had been confined in the (finished) basement for a while to keep the hair out of the rest of the house, then had limited human interaction for two months while he was away.

I decided to take them because I knew he wanted them to be with people that would love them. They are very sweet cats and pretty much spoiled. I hope that you were able give your cat to someone that will love her as much as you did.

Top Bottom