• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When making a cup of tea, do you put hot water followed by milk, or vice versa?

How do you make your cup of tea?

• Total voters

Star-Lord

Inspired by the sensational cereal thread, I thought I'd throw this one into the mix.

Providing you drink tea, how do you make it?

Being British, I adopt the traditional (and only acceptable) way of making tea. Sugar, teabag, hot water, steep, milk.

Any other way is just despicable.

Go.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't understand why someone would pour milk into a tea.

I hope this thread will enlighten me in that regard.
For me it depends on what kind of tea it is. I really like milk in Thai tea and chai tea. It really isn't the same without it. However, I would never put it in a lemon tea, a green tea, or any kind of fruit flavored tea.

I can't imagine drinking Earl Grey or Tetley British Blend without milk, tbh.

For those living the U.K, here’s what I recommend for a good cup of tea.

My personal favourite brand is Marks & Spencers Gold, rich and smooth with floral notes is how I describe it.

For sugar I use Demerara cubes, I find they have a less pungent taste compared to regular white granulated sugar.

As for how I make my tea. I never use re-boiled water, as it apparently has less oxygen and lessens the flavour.

Adding the sugar and tea bag into my cup, I immediately add the boiling water to the cup after the kettle has gone off.

I stir it for 10 seconds then I let the tea bag brew in the hot water for exactly 5 minutes, there’s severel reasons you want to do this. It increases the anti-oxidents significantly compared to just brewing it for 2 or 3 minutes and it also tastes much better.

After taking out the bag, I then slowly pour my milk to my desired colour. I recommend full fat milk for the best flavour.

EDIT : anyone who adds milk before water then you’re just a ‘wrongun.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
For those living the U.K, here’s what I recommend for a good cup of tea.

My personal favourite brand is Marks & Spencers Gold, rich and smooth with floral notes is how I describe it.

For sugar I use Demerara cubes, I find they have a less pungent taste compared to regular white granulated sugar.

As for how I make my tea. I never use re-boiled water, as it apparently has less oxygen and lessens the flavour.

Adding the sugar and tea bag into my cup, I immediately add the boiling water to the cup after the kettle has gone off.

I stir it for 10 seconds then I let the tea bag brew in the hot water for exactly 5 minutes, there’s severel reasons you want to do this. It increases the anti-oxidents significantly compared to just brewing it for 2 or 3 minutes and it also tastes much better.

After taking out the bag, I then slowly pour my milk to my desired colour. I recommend full fat milk for the best flavour.

EDIT : anyone who adds milk before water then you’re just a ‘wrongun.
This man teas, I'm more of a Punjana Thompson's fan myself, I grew up with site tea where the old lads used to brew about 40tea bags into oblivion and hand you something you could walk on, nowadays I prefer very little milk, not a fan of all that hipster English Nettle tea shite whatsoever

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The only exception where it's acceptable to not add milk is when it's a herbal or flavoured tea.
Makes sense. This was pretty much my complaint since i only drink herbal tea and could not imagine adding milk to it.

Little Mac

Milk?!

30 rock farmer GIF by Amy Ciavolino

FunkMiller

I'm British, so of course I pour the milk into the mug with the tea bag already in it, and then pour on the hot water afterwards.

This is why we both created the greatest empire ever known to man, and then lost it again.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

The Chinese invented tea and the English ruined it by adding milk and sugar.

How I do tea: drop a pinchful of green tea leaves into a cup, pour hot water, brew until they sink to the bottom, and drink.

Lower quality products found in teabags or black tea are best brewed cold in the fridge for 10-20 hours.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't understand why someone would pour milk into a tea.

I hope this thread will enlighten me in that regard.
A guy at my work claimed it eliminates any tea froth. I do not. I do the tried and true way. Teabag first (breakfast tea, fuck earl grey. ‘Low that). Boil kettle. Let brew. Add milk. Stir tea remove bag. No sugar. I’m sweet enough.

Anything darker then beige is the way.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Earl grey for me, so no sugar or milk.

However, when I'm making an English Breakfast (AKA builders delight) for my wife, the water ALWAYS goes before the milk.

If you're English and put milk before the water then you sicken me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't drink tea because it gives me a migraine. i don't have anything against tea itself but i'm not up for a week of pain, sickness, and dizziness every time i have a cup of it. the last time i had tea was in 2012.

if i were to make tea for someone then i'd put the tea bag in, pour hot water, stir it, then add milk. so far nobody has thrown me dirty looks or the cup in my face so that'll do.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I pull the white pine needles off of the tree in the yard and some mint from the garden. Add hot water and let it steep for 10 mins. 3 sugars and a slice of lemon.

PERFECTION!

Wildebeest

I don't use milk, but the answer is milk first if you pour tea from a pot and water first if you brew in the cup with a tea bag. If you are American, don't worry, you will probably do it horribly wrong no matter what and nobody expects any better of you.

Star-Lord

I've not had it for a while. Twinings is good but £££.
Never had Twinings; I don't consider myself posh enough to drink them.

For a laugh, I spent 70p today on a box of Stockwell teabags from Tesco. I've no idea how they taste, but I'll report back to the thread once I've tried them.

Also, I had no idea you're British. I always assumed you were American for some reason. My bad.

The British acquired a taste for milk in tea because it was necessary to cool it down to serve in clay cups. The proper way is milk first so the hot water doesn't crack the cup. Americans used to drink tea the same way but then ya'll acted like jerks about it so we went to war.

will ferrell GIF

For hundreds of years we essentially stopped drinking tea because it was un-American, and we lost the taste/customs for it. Its slow resurgence is due to ice tea and sweet tea, and since there is no reason/custom to put milk in hot tea anymore we don't bother doing it and thus haven't acquired a taste for that style.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I remember being grossed out when I first saw my British co-worker drink his tea with milk around 15 years ago. Only later I learned this is actually a thing in Britain. Never knew before.

Absolutely distgusting.

Fbh

Nah man, it's first water, then a bit of our local brandy.
Nothing better on a cold winter evening (except maybe Mulled wine)

Dural

I'm American and like milk in tea if I'm having it hot, I do prefer unsweetened iced tea though. I also put the milk in after, just like with my coffee.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Really depends on whether its Black Tea or Green Tea, because with Black you want very hot water to maximize the infusion, but with Green you want a few degrees cooler.

Top Bottom