• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When making a cup of tea, do you put hot water followed by milk, or vice versa?

How do you make your cup of tea?

• Total voters

Pejo

I worked with a guy trained by a Chinese tea master at a previous job, he really opened my eyes to different teas and ways to prepare/drink it. Could never get into milk in my tea though, that must be a Brit or Vietnamese thing.

jdforge

Banned
No-one drinks more tea than the Northern Irish, therefore my opinion on the matter to hand supersedes all others.

Boil kettle
Add 2 tea bags to a tea pot (Nambarrie brand)
Add boiling water and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes
Pour “stewed” tea from teapot to cups/mugs
Add milk and sugar (if desired)
Serve tea to everyone in the household, including all visitors. If you have visitors you must serve tea within 5 minutes of their arrival.
Repeat entire process in about 1 hours time or if other people arrive.

Serve with biscuits suitable for dunking such as rich tea, digestives, ginger nuts etc.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What am I reading..!!?
You don't put milk in until it's brewed!
You'll just end up with a milky tea that way....who does this?!
I want names!
boxing-crazy.gif

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I was going to make a joke post about microwaving it but I see that some of you barbarians have beaten me to it.

Lasha

Putting milk in hot tea is weird. You kill all the nuance of the tea's flavor. You're probably drinking shit tea if it tastes like hot water. Milk is only for cold drinks like bubble tea. Milk goes in second so the tea cools faster.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
No-one drinks more tea than the Northern Irish, therefore my opinion on the matter to hand supersedes all others.

Boil kettle
Add 2 tea bags to a tea pot (Nambarrie brand)
Add boiling water and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes
Pour “stewed” tea from teapot to cups/mugs
Add milk and sugar (if desired)
Serve tea to everyone in the household, including all visitors. If you have visitors you must serve tea within 5 minutes of their arrival.
Repeat entire process in about 1 hours time or if other people arrive.

Serve with biscuits suitable for dunking such as rich tea, digestives, ginger nuts etc.
shocked hot tea GIF by britbox

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've never tried tea with milk in it, but I may give it a shot. Growing up in Tennessee, tea here usually meant black tea ice cold with sugar, or with fruit blended into it (peaches usually.)

My favorite comfort tea is hot jasmin tea with a touch of local honey. It's perfect for a cold winter day. ❤️

I only add milk to Earl Gray, other than that, Bigalow Chai Tea is my jam as it smells like Christmas, sometimes I'll add honey..

Last edited:

lachesis

Depending on what I'm making.

A lot of time, I don't put any milk in the tea at all.
When I make milk tea - then I go with the Japanese Royal Milk Tea method. (heat up milk first, adding tea to the milk)
Bubble tea - I just go out and get them. Too lazy to cook the tapioca bubbles.

Top Bottom