• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do we go from here PlayStation Nation?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nothing is impossible after paying 70 billion cash for Activision. Take 2 is only a fraction of that. This coming from a Sony fan.
Take 2 was $20 billion before last week when they bought Zynga for $12 billion. Now it will probably cost MS at least $40 billion to acquire Take2 and they have just $67 billion cash left on hand.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Most gamers are casual who play FIFA and COD.

Not hardcore gamers on this forum like us who don't give a damn about either.

I am saying this a Sony fan. I just hope Sony puts a ring on Square Enix or Capcom.
You are a Sony fan but news like this screw your mind completely. Nothing will happen and games by Bethesda and Activision will be replaced with new ones on playstation.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Take 2 was $20 billion before last week when they bought Zynga for $12 billion. Now it will probably cost MS at least $40 billion to acquire Take2 and they have just $67 billion cash left on hand.

Just 67 billion cash on hand?

They can't take loans?

Quantum253

Finally someone gets it.
I remember when Microsoft held timed exclusives for COD (presentations on stage, map packs, weapons, etc.) and Sony would receive those updates weeks to months later. When the "exclusivity" changed from Microsoft to Sony, it was a pretty big deal in the community, so I can see how what appears to be only a season first-person shooter was a big concern for both companies. It looks like those maps, guns, and first look will be on Microsoft's side now.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Live footage of Kretos' reaction:

god-of-war-kratos.gif

FStubbs

I don't think it would though. It would definitely make an impact to some extent but Sony has legit some of the best studios in the world and the games sell like crazy. And I say that as someone who doesn't even play 95% of Sony 1st party titles, lol. Everyone else does though.

I guess the biggest thing, and I don't know if it can be tracked, but how much money does Sony make from Activision/Blizzard/Bethesda games? I guess if it was like 75% of their total income than yea, Sony should be shitting their pants but I'd be surprised if the figures were that high.
Sony's fear would be long term.

All of sudden, Joe casual who owns a PS5 can't get the new Call of Duty game, finds out it's only on Xbox (or PC). Now he buys an Xbox. PS6 comes around and no Call of Duty, so he doesn't buy a PS6.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
We're fucked lads. At this point nothing is off the table. EA, Take-Two, Square, Sega, hell even Nintendo probably isn't safe.

I've done my best to support Jim through these difficult times but It's clear Uncle Phil isn't just out for blood. I refuse to be in the cross-fire. It's time for me to retire from the PlayStation Nation

Godspeed
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sony reliably cranks out some of the best selling games in the industry. Spider-Man 2 is going to far outsell any Xbox-exclusive version of CoD, and Sony only had to pay $230 million for Insomniac, about 0.3% of what MS paid for Activision.

Activision-Blizzard is a dog of a purchase, full of rot, and consolidated around a single IP, which is itself in sharp decline. It is not a game-changer in the console war.

Bethesda was a much bigger deal. They actually make acclaimed, marquee titles that enhance the brand, they can create new IP, and adapt. They're going to be a great asset. Activision not so much.

SlimySnake

Just 67 billion cash on hand?

They can't take loans?
Oh they can, I am sure Take2 didnt buy Zynga with all cash either, but I was just pointing out how Take2 is no longer just a fraction of the $70 billion MS paid for Activision which had a $50 billion market cap.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
T2's market cap is around $18B. I dont think a T2 buy would involve more than doubling their price.

Ogbert

Here’s what Sony needs to realise.

They can’t charge £70 for a single title. It’s over. The industry has changed. It doesn’t matter if Last of Us Part 3 gets 100% on Metacritic, in three to five years Gamepass is going to be utterly compelling.

It’s like Netflix. Most of the stuff on there is dogshit, but people will watch it rather than shell out for a cinema ticket or buy a home movie.

Sony will be fine in terms of games but they seriously need to wise up on pricing.

Alphagear

You are a Sony fan but news like this screw your mind completely. Nothing will happen and games of Bethesda and Activision will be replaced with new ones on playstation.

I am simply talking economics. This won't make me shift to Xbox as a gamer. Nothing will to be honest.

Only third party Publishers I gave a damn about were Square Enix and Capcom and even that was around 20 years ago when they were in their prime.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Here’s what Sony needs to realise.

They can’t charge £70 for a single title. It’s over. The industry has changed. It doesn’t matter if Last of Us Part 3 gets 100% on Metacritic, in three to five years Gamepass is going to be utterly compelling.

It’s like Netflix. Most of the stuff on there is dogshit, but people will watch it rather than shell out for a cinema ticket or buy a home movie.

Sony will be fine in terms of games but they seriously need to wise up on pricing.

Nope

They can charge $70, and people will pay that, because they make premium content that can’t be played or purchased elsewhere

Netflix is a very bad example. Lots of shit content and a small player in a much bigger pond of overall entertainment and media

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

All of sudden, Joe casual who owns a PS5 can't get the new Call of Duty game, finds out it's only on Xbox (or PC). Now he buys an Xbox. PS6 comes around and no Call of Duty, so he doesn't buy a PS6.
That's valid. I'd think by the time PS6 arrives, Sony will have established an exclusive FPS series that either forces people to stick around or brings in new players.

If Sony doesn't do that, they're fools.

Ogbert

Nope

They can charge $70, and people will pay that, because they make premium content that can’t be played or purchased elsewhere
But MS will provide premium content all year round for a fifth of the price.

We’re enthusiasts. We’re not the average consumer. In about two to three years time Gamepass is going to be irresistible in terms of bang for buck.

Loxus

So you think current Sony going to have the same amount of Studios/IPs by time PS6 comes out?

I don't understand why Sony fans are getting worried. This is the best news we could get this year, Microsoft buying Activision and possibly taking away the biggest money maker from playstation is the best news for me as primary playstation player. Everyone knows history repeats itself, when PS3 was losing market share to Microsoft they had to change the way they were working and made some of the best games and they outdid Microsoft 4 to 1 but they become arrogant and cocky in their journey like making games 90€ But now again Microsoft comes to eat their Cake, they have again to shift their strategy and come down to earth and make sure they can keep their customers in their platform and that benefit me as playstation owner.

SNG32

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sony reliably cranks out some of the best selling games in the industry. Spider-Man 2 is going to far outsell any Xbox-exclusive version of CoD, and Sony only had to pay $230 million for Insomniac, about 0.3% of what MS paid for Activision.

Activision-Blizzard is a dog of a purchase, full of rot, and consolidated around a single IP, which is itself in sharp decline. It is not a game-changer in the console war.

Bethesda was a much bigger deal. They actually make acclaimed, marquee titles that enhance the brand, they can create new IP, and adapt. They're going to be a great asset. Activision not so much.

Call of Duty Vanguard and Call off Duty black ops cold war were both in the top 5 software purchases of 2021 for Sony. Call of Duty Vanguard was number 1. If casuals have a way of playing Call of duty for a much cheaper way best believe there will be people jumping ship. Especially if timed exclusive.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't understand why Sony fans are getting worried. This is the best news we could get this year, Microsoft buying Activision and possibly taking away the biggest money maker from playstation is the best news for me as primary playstation player. Everyone knows history repeats itself, when PS3 was losing market share to Microsoft they had to change the way they were working and made some of the best games and they outdid Microsoft 4 to 1 but they become arrogant and cocky in their journey like making games 90€ But now again Microsoft comes to eat their Cake, they have again to shift their strategy and come down to earth and make sure they can keep their customers in their platform and that benefit me as playstation owner.
I can't deny that.

The PS3/360 generation was fucking awesome once Sony started making a comeback. Man, those E3s were just wild and the PS3 was just delivering the goods like no other.

If they went down that road again, we could be witnessing one of the most exciting gaming generations of our lives.

SF Kosmo

While everyone is worrying about Sony, this creates a massive opening for EA. They need to get Respawn working on a killer version of Battlefield and fill that CoD void on PlayStation.

Ogbert

I only play Sony exclusives at this point. But COD does move a needle, all my friends play that game. They buy it every year, and say it sucks every year.

What other big Activision titles are there? I cant think of any. Crash?
Diablo, Overwatch, Warcraft and StarCraft.

SF Kosmo

Well, they’ll have Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6 and Diablo 4. Plus the new Doom. And whatever Arkane cook up. And Call of Duty. Oh, Starfield too.

I mean, I’m a PS5 owner but it’s self evident that I’m going to have to pick up a Series X.
Fallout 5 isn't even development, despite the fact that MS owns Bethesda, Obsidian, and inXile.

I don't think MS is being very thoughtful in how they plan their lineups. Nintendo and Sony make sure they space out and schedule their games so that there's always something. MS is just buying the universe, sitting back, and hoping it all works out.

Last edited:

lachesis

I think Sony will push even further for the Cinema/Game/Music synergy as those are their strength... and that's where MS never really succeeded, re-create the success of Disney's MCU type deal, with multi-front synergy projects....

But rather than Sony - I'm actually wondering what Amazon, Google and Apple are going to do about it. Who's going to fold, and who's going to push even harder.
Maybe Google - Sony alliance on the horizon? or Amazon - Sony alliance? Will Apple aggressively approach to partner with Nintendo?

Truly.. interesting time to live in.

As a Sega fan, I saw how exclusives (EA and Square, especially) hurt them - and it was one of the reason for them to become a 3rd party themselves....
I kinda feel the same for Sony fans who must feel rather "robbed". At least in Sega's case, it was their mutual choices - but this case, is like being swallowed by a bigger fish.

Unreal & rather scary... and it really does show the power of $$$ and MS isn't really looking at the market differently. If Sony's looking and winning at "battles", MS seems to be waging "War" in bigger scale.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Well, they’ll have Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6 and Diablo 4. Plus the new Doom. And whatever Arkane cook up. And Call of Duty. Oh, Starfield too.

I mean, I’m a PS5 owner but it’s self evident that I’m going to have to pick up a Series X.

Your assumption that MS just went on a 100B acquisition spree to maintain their current pricing structure is a poor one

This isn’t charity

[Sigma]

Just keep releasing game🤷‍♂️. It just seems like Jim and company has been a bunch of MS followers lately. I would do nothing of significance in terms of buying publishers. Id instead would be trying to do more to repair the Playstation brand in Japan that's for sure.

Fallout 5 isn't even development, despite the fact that MS owns Bethesda, Obsidian, and inXile.

I don't think MS is being very thoughtful in how they plan their lineups. Like Nintendo and Sony, they make sure they space out and schedule their games so that there's always something. MS is just buying the universe, sitting back, and hoping it all works out.
Not sure what you mean. MS has been putting out games as often (or more) than Sony.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They have the talent.

Killzone and Resistance were always pretty underwhelming but the talent is still there with the studios Sony owns. Just gotta take the time to create something truly stunning. We'll find out in the next 12 months when a new IP is announced or not.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Always been a Playstation first / Nintendo Second guy because life never allowed for anymore time gaming but since my wife got me and XSX for christmas I am enjoying some things about XBOX but so far but nothing that makes me think I would ever take it over Sony. I just love their exclusives too much, but it I was 14 again I may be singing a different tune if Sony doesnt come up with something to compete with XBOX sheer number of exclusives.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They have the talent.

Killzone and Resistance were always pretty underwhelming but the talent is still there with the studios Sony owns. Just gotta take the time to create something truly stunning. We'll find out in the next 12 months when a new IP is announced or not.
They need to stop screwing around and bring SOCOM back. Put that First Party Sony graphical goodness on it, give it an amazing SP, and deep addicting MP.

SlimySnake

But MS will provide premium content all year round for a fifth of the price.

We’re enthusiasts. We’re not the average consumer. In about two to three years time Gamepass is going to be irresistible in terms of bang for buck.
Last year they only had two premium exclusives. Both at the tail end of the year.

This year they have announced ZERO games until Starfield in November. Maybe Redfall in Summer but we havent seen a single screenshot from it.

In 2023, they will have CoD in November, Forza in October, and Hellblade 2 in there somewhere. Avowed, Everwild, Fable, Perfect Dark and State Of Decay are probably 2024 games. That along with CoD will be the first year they will have premium day one content all year around, but the year after that? One CoD game is the only guarantee. Every other team has taken 5-6 years to make their games and will take just as long to make the sequels. Note that Sony themselves are going to struggle with this as proven by the fact that they have no next gen first party games coming out this year and only 1 next year. So they definitely need to go all in asap.

I think it's important to note that this acquisition essentially gets them a big November title every year. But thats just one game. One giant megaton of a game, but still one game. They still need first party to deliver on the 'all year round' promise which is something they have mightily struggled with since they started acquisitions in 2017. Point is simple acquisitions isnt enough. These teams need to be much much larger. Bethesda can no longer be a 100 person team that made Skyrim and Fallout 4 back to back. they need to be three 500 person teams that make Elder Scrolls, Starfield and Fallout concurrently in order to have premium content every year.

Also, Netflix just raised their subscription prices to $20. In a few years, expect Gamepass to be around that. Costs are always passed down to customers.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Your assumption that MS just went on a 100B acquisition spree to maintain their current pricing structure is a poor one

This isn’t charity
Sure, Gamepass might go up a bit. I expect we might even see a Gold/Silver tier, down the line.

Anyway, I’ve been whinging about Sony pricing since it was first announced. Ratchet and Clank was the turning point for me. £70 for around 8 hours entertainment. Returnal was off too.

I love their games but they need to wise up. If they want to remain on top in the medium / long term, they need to respond to Gamepass.

Lunarorbit

Nope

Netflix is a very bad example. Lots of shit content and a small player in a much bigger pond of overall entertainment and media
I don't see how Sony and other publishers will be able to maintain $70 with this acquisition and the price of gamepass. Spartacus will have to directly compete to remain relevant in this market. Before this deal I would have agreed with you but this changes the landscape way too much.

It's such a megaton that the optics of cod during Christmas will be pay $70 on ps or get gamepass. It's going to be a blood bath. Sony really can't afford what Microsoft is doing.

I just turned 40 on Saturday and I've never felt such a seismic shift in the industry. Google, Netflix, and amazon entering the fraught? Streaming isn't there yet and it was laughable to think Google would shake the industry up.

Sony splitting from Nintendo to form their own video game division? No one could have foreseen what would happen 25 years down the line.

This? This is catostraphic for ps ecosystem and their short term plans.

Top Bottom