• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you stand on No Man's Sky?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What I find fascinating is the lengths some people are going to to express why those of us who are excited for this game are wrong. It's reaching 'fanatic' levels of hyperbole and misinformation. Why are people so intent on pushing their opinion on a game they won't even play? It's damned near psychotic. I feel as if this is a symptom of something far more obvious.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
LOL I know it's difficult to grasp for some denser individuals, but perhaps, No Man's Sky fan want a game based around exploration.

I know that's a difficult concept to grasp. I've also included a definition below:

ex·plo·ra·tion
ˌekspləˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
the action of traveling in or through an unfamiliar area in order to learn about it.
"voyages of exploration"
synonyms: investigation, study, survey, research, inspection, examination, scrutiny, observation; More
thorough analysis of a subject or theme.
"an exploration of the religious dimensions of our lives"
synonyms: investigation, study, survey, research, inspection, examination, scrutiny, observation; More

Exploration is great so long as there are interesting things to find. So far, this has not been demonstrated.

I think they have done some fantastic work, especially with the procedural tech. However I don't think there is enough to keep me playing for long, so I think I will be passing. If can get it but fleshed out (SC, C'mon 2020) I'll be very happy.

I'm in the wait and see camp. I really hope they make something great. The exploration could be wonderful if the game manages to weave a cohesive narrative, or at least provide the space for my mind to invent a cohesive narrative. However, I have two main fears:

1. It will be repetitive and boring.
2. The gunplay will be often, and shit.

What I find fascinating is the lengths some people are going to to express why those of us who are excited for this game are wrong. It's reaching 'fanatic' levels of hyperbole and misinformation. Why are people so intent on pushing their opinion on a game they won't even play? It's damned near psychotic. I feel as if this is a symptom of something far more obvious.

tumblr_mn8yu5X2Ez1ruuoaco3_500_zpsafdc537c.gif

It's really not worth paying attention to. For every person with a genuine question or concern for the game there are 9 who just want to crap on something receiving a large amount of hype. See: any major game release thread on GAF.

I think it's a sham of a game.
Man I hope this team isn't on gaf. Must be heartbreaking to read crap like this when they've been nothing but upfront and excited about everything. The mass amounts of hyperbole that flows from some of your fingertips is embarrassing it's not hard to say a game isn't for you or say it doesn't appeal to you but to try and call out a bunch of hard work and dedication is an embarrassment.

Senoculum

Plenty has been demonstrated (because billions upon billions of planets isn't interesting).

C'mon dude LOL

There are already a few games that offer near infinite worlds to discover/explore - it really depends on the mechanics of the game. Multiplayer games can also offer countless hours of entertainment, but if the core gameplay isn't interesting then it won't last long.

C'mon, you know what he meant.

I, for one, was going to purchase NMS day one when it was first announced. But recently I'm more in the mood of narrative-focused games, so I'll be waiting until it's a bit cheaper.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Plenty has been demonstrated (because billions upon billions of planets isn't interesting).

C'mon dude LOL

No, they haven't been shown to be all that interesting. Typically procedurally generated content ends up being repetitive and uninteresting. It's like saying Minceraft would be fun if all you could do was explore the world. Sure it would be interesting for a few hours, but then you would want to actually have some meaningful interaction.

I honestly hope I'm wrong, but I'm not seeing anything to lead me to believe that I am.

SomTervo

The NMS fanboys are really hyping it up and likely setting it up for massive failure. They are telling people exactly what they do in NMS, when in fact it is just a glorified walking simulator. People have figured out this game, just look at how much the fanboys are typing. Also, you cannot compare this algorithmic illusion to handcrafted movies!

Just look at all of the vids:
- Watch as the terrain pops up as the ship approaches the ground
- The camera movement is not natural with pop up everywhere
- Things repeat A LOT on a planet/biome
- Lots of transitions to take you out of the game, after the umpteenth time, you'll get sick of them
- Every planet has floaty dusty thingies in your face
- When shooting at resources, it doesn't get destroyed to let you know you took it
- Procedural generation is just dumb--I got a big gun, time to shoot the ground everywhere to see the caves that are present everywhere, gotta find the "rare" tech so I can leave the planet...
- ETC.

Glad to see you've already played the game, cool_dude, and you came to us with loads of final-release impressions. Your presence is always enlightening and appreciated in these threads.

1. Not a fanboy.

2. The game might be shit. That's a totally realistic outcome. The reason people like me and M_B are in here going crazy is that people like you are misrepresenting the game - as shit as it might turn out to be.

Just look at all of the vids:

Why don't you try reading an article? Press have played the game and reported a completely different experience to what you spout.

- Watch as the terrain pops up as the ship approaches the ground
- The camera movement is not natural with pop up everywhere

These are the same point - and yes, on PS4 this is probably going to be a really bad issue. The game might get panned because of technical (CPU-related) difficulties on PS4.

I think this is why they announced it for PC near-simultaneous release. I'll be buying it on PC and I foresee PC will be the 'true' version of the game.

- Things repeat A LOT on a planet/biome

... Because they're showing you one planet, at one time of day, and it's an outer-galaxy planet so it has mundane/generic plantlife and animal life.

We know this stuff will change. And again, read the written hands-on previews. They say that there's still plenty to do/see on one planet. Not my words: theirs.

- Lots of transitions to take you out of the game, after the umpteenth time, you'll get sick of them

Which ones exactly?

- Every planet has floaty dusty thingies in your face

You've seen all 18 quintillion planets, then? Cool. Cool Dude indeed.

- When shooting at resources, it doesn't get destroyed to let you know you took it

I think it does? What videos have you been watching?

- Procedural generation is just dumb--I got a big gun, time to shoot the ground everywhere to see the caves that are present everywhere, gotta find the "rare" tech so I can leave the planet...

Lol.

Three non-arguments in one sentence and none of which have anything to do with procedural generation which we've explained to you tens of times

The tech tree is hand crafted and why wouldn't it be rare?

Again, no fanboyism here. There's at least a 40% chance the game won't be fun/will be shit, IMO.

You're just talking utter rubbish.

Prophane33

Day one for me. I've had the LE pre-ordered since it was possible. The more I see and hear about this game the more excited I get about it. Seems like a total dream game for me. While I'm not expecting a 10/10 perfect game, I certainly don't believe it will be "mediocre".

Spyware

Yes it's FUD, he said that planets reset after you leave. Instead it's the opposite, planets continue to rotate around suns, and life continues to exist, and every mark you do make will stay.

You're taking about something different, sharing of every piece of information which is pretty obviously limited by the finances of Hello Games for servers.

It seems the critics are the ones who have unrealistic expectations of the game.

But... in this video from April he says everything "you've seen will be thrown away" and the planet will be re-generated when you fly away?
From about 15m15s if "start at" doesn't work.

Or am I just misunderstanding everything?

ys45

I think a lot of people will agree with me if I say every single thread about this game ends up the same way each time ....

Seriously guys, can't we just wait till the game is out ? -_-

Vex_

Banned
Okay then. Let's break it down, shall we?

> you were interested

> they announced it was multiplayer (which they never did)

> you became less interested

> then said you wanted to play it with your bro
> so it's eh 'because it's multiplayer' (which it isn't)

Is the crux of your post that it was air quotes multiplayer? Ie "multiplayer"? You were suggesting that the multiplayer really wasn't multiplayer?

Your opinion is totally valid you just wrote it in a totally unclear way.

Now youre gonna make me do all this work. I really dont feel like it, but ok:

1. I never said they announced it was multiplayer.

I said *sigh* ......here we go... now where was it?:

Heard of the possibility of multiplayer.

Big difference. Pls dont make me explain why.

2. It isnt "eh" because it WAS multiplayer. I cant... I... just no. My next sentence even says:

*sigh*
Really wanted to explore this game coop with my bro,

MEANING...what? Take a guess. I WANTED IT TO BE MULTIPLAYER. How in the world did you get that I thought the game was "eh" because it WAS multiplayer? Never mind. I see you realized what I was initially saying. I'm just shocked you could even take that from what I was saying.

3. Yes! You noticed the AIR QUOTES! "Thanks" for that. i really "appreciate" it.

"Get me"?

":)"

Portugeezer

Gold Member
But... in this video from April he says everything "you've seen will be thrown away" and the planet will be re-generated when you fly away?

When I watched this before I took is as him meaning that the planet will just be as if you never affected the terrain, because it has to load out of memory and then be regenerated. So the holes you blasted into the cave will not be there, for example.

I don't see what else it could be, if it's generated it will use the same formula and the planet has to be the same.

Oh, I'm also concerned that resource gathering will feel like a blind fetch quest. If I need a resource to mine for fuel, say, or to upgrade some part of my ship, is it going to be obvious where I get that resource? Or is it pot luck?

daveo42

Banned
I'm looking forward to the OT for this game, as most of the misinformation being posted here will be abscent.

When I watched this before I took is as him meaning that the planet will just be as if you never affected the terrain, because it has to load out of memory and then be regenerated. So the holes you blasted into the cave will not be there, for example.

I don't see what else it could be, if it's generated it will use the same formula and the planet has to be the same.

I think you have to do alot to affect massive change on a planet for it to take affect. For example, you could kill a few animals but the number of animals on a planet won't really change. Dropping an entire species though should have lasting affects, at least I remember that being a talking point on the game from some time ago. I think the same applies to the stucture of the planet. If you completely hollow a planet out and extract all it's natural resources, it should have an affect.

Because worlds are procedural and not really stored anywhere, accounting for so much variation would be far too much data to process and save for anyone else who just so happens to find a planet you've been to.

Spyware

Yeah so then "and every mark you do make will stay" can't be true? (which others were sorta fighting about)
I figured the game would be unplayable if it tried to save everything you did, so I'm thinking it's logical that nothing in the world (except the names you give stuff) will be permanent even for you personally.

I think it does? What videos have you been watching?
Don't really want to defend that poster because wow... incredible. It's really rubbish indeed.
But I still feel that this is worth addressing.
Maybe something like this video (3m25s and onward a bit) is what they are thinking of, where crystals that explode into small pieces you absorb look just like nothing happened to them. I think I looked at that like he wasn't actually fully exhausting the resource. It looks like it gets another "lifebar" just as he stops shooting. So it might break down if you keep mining it? Because I also wanna think I remember seeing them disappear.
Edit: Yeah this one shows how they disappear. Oh, and rewatching the first one makes it pretty clear that they do disappear, it's just that there are many small pieces and it isn't all that clear, so nevermind. But I can see the first video giving someone the wrong idea about it (obviously).

Listonosh

I noticed this too. The things people point out as boring is the stuff I'm looking forward to. It's all purely subjective.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I can't think of a single game that comes close to what this is doing as far as the procedural tech goes. Examples are welcome.

It's definitely impressive procedural tech.

It's just still not going to appeal to people who'd prefer a vastly smaller number of explorable places that are hand crafted.

And that's fine. Games don't need to appeal to everyone. Hopefully ME Andromeda will nail the planet exploration and appeal to that crowd.

kevin1025

Banned
I have too much stuff to play, so unfortunately I won't have the time to jump in. I hope the game does really well, though! I might hop in on PC later on down the road if the excitement stays with the game after launch.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

He's just describing the tech. It's based on an algorithm and so it just spits out exactly the same result on returning. If anything of any significance gets destroyed then that will be removed for everyone, but any changes that aren't significant will only change the game for the owner of the game. Make holes and they'll be there when you return and only you. Destroy a space station and it won't be there for anyone.

Battlechili

Banned
Originally I thought the game looked boring and purposeless. Newer information sparked a bit of interest, and I'll admit its a pretty looking game, but I still worry that the game will be boring to me. It having a goal helps, but it looks exploration focused more than anything, which is hard for me to be excited about.

Kumquat

I'm on the fence for this game but to be fair to it the lawsuit was bullshit. A company suing them because they used the word Sky in their name. I would not put that as a detractor at all.

Vex_

Banned
Multiplayer was never announced for the game and we had a fun old charade because you seemed to think it was and then deployed air quotes (which don't work so well online) to get across some disappointment.

Cool. Coolcoolcool.

"Deployed air quotes"? Lmfao. Looll sounds like air warfare.

Ok ok. That was my fault. I should have clarified better without deployment. But im laying down right now and am in lazy mode

_h8bit

Banned
Given how ravenous people are about this game in terms of both the positive and negative I've done my best to just keep out of conversations about it (except this one i guess lol). I have it on pre order and I'm trying to go in with zero expectations other than getting lost in space for a few hours at a time.

Handy Fake

He's just describing the tech. It's based on an algorithm and so it just spits out exactly the same result on returning. If anything of any significance gets destroyed then that will be removed for everyone, but any changes that aren't significant will only change the game for the owner of the game. Make holes and they'll be there when you return and only you. Destroy a space station and it won't be there for anyone.

Aye, as I understand it, if you blow a hole in the terrain, that will be saved locally onto your machine so it'll still be there when you go back to the planet.
But if another player finds the planet afterwards, that hole won't be there, as it's not saved to a cloud since the galaxy-wide changes will be just too big.
But if you kill an entire species of animal on that planet, THAT will be cloud-saved as you've wiped out a species.

Again, as I understand it.

SomTervo

"Deployed air quotes"? Lmfao. Looll sounds like air warfare.

Ok ok. That was my fault. I should have clarified better without deployment. But im laying down right now and am in lazy mode

Hey, we deploy language all the time. You just deployed a bunch right now.

No worries man, deploy yourself into a prostrate position

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Aye, as I understand it, if you blow a hole in the terrain, that will be saved locally onto your machine so it'll still be there when you go back to the planet.
But if another player finds the planet afterwards, that hole won't be there, as it's not saved to a cloud since the galaxy-wide changes will be just too big.
But if you kill an entire species of animal on that planet, THAT will be cloud-saved as you've wiped out a species.

Again, as I understand it.

That's pretty much it, yeah but I doubt anyone will ever destroy a whole species. :)

The visuals will be thrown away because they are only created when you are on a planet and stored in memory.

But the visuals are just an interpretation of the mathematics. The mathematics will change if you blow up bits of the terrain, and that will be remembered.

As mathematics it's tiny in size to be stored locally but would be large if Hello Games were storing each player's on servers and sending it out to all players.

Watch the video I posted at the top of the last page.

Tigress

The visuals will be thrown away because they are only created when you are on a planet and stored in memory.

But the visuals are just an interpretation of the mathematics. The mathematics will change if you blow up bits of the terrain, and that will be remembered.

As mathematics it's tiny in size to be stored locally but would be large if Hello Games were storing each player's on servers and sending it out to all players.

Watch the video I posted at the top of the last page.

There is some truth to what he says though. The game will save your changes for your game but some one else going to that planet will only see any really large changes (like killing off a species) and names you gave things. They won't see a cave you made and if you shot an animal they could see that animal (well if you could prove it was the same one).

Top Bottom