• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where do you stand on No Man's Sky?

It's not cynical, there is not a single game out there with procedurally generated content that compares to handcrafted environments (and just as importantly: map design to accommodate the gameplay mechanics)

Thinking that this game will be different is naive.

Procedurally generated is always red flag for generic content.

You're acting as if you can procedurally generate a king's landing or minas tirith.

Those are the kinds of interesting and well designed environments people talk about when they say they want to explore. To find crazy points of interest like that.
That is the drive to explore.

You leave midgar in ff7 and on the world map you find junon and rocket town , you explore in dragon's dogma and find the valley of the wind and bluemoon tower.

You're not getting that quality of content with procedural generation , ever. And the odds of any semi interesting formations or designs to ever come out of the rng are so slim that you'll be wading through a sea of generic garbage before you ever find it.

'biomes' are not interesting, what you might find in them is. And that is what NMS is missing. No matter how many different biomes you generate, it's pointless as there is no junon or bluemoon tower waiting for you in them. And since everything is reset once you leave a planet you can't even leave your own mark and make your own creations like in minecraft. (a game not about exploring, but a creative sandbox, every last interesting scene ever screenshotted in minecraft is of hand made content created by the players)

People lose interest when they hear the words 'procedurally generated' for a reason

When did this FUD start again?

Every hole in the ground you make stays there, every animal you kill stays dead (unless it's eaten by another animal).

As for procedural generation, it's the future get used to it. And at some point it will make games indistinguishable from people.

NMS will be a footnote in the future of procedural generation (quoting Sean Murray). But even this game is programming a more human understanding of colour theory, foliage placement, and path/landmark positioning.

Here's a video of Innes McKendrick talking about procedural generation in NMS.

Apt101

Day one baby. It looks right up my alley. Even if it isn't a great game I have a strong feeling I will love it. I am just undecided on platform - I will probably go PS4 so I can play it on my couch without having to stream to my Steam Link.

itshutton

Thank you SomTervo for such a thorough update.

This thread has made me very curious, so I have decided, I will buy it and decide for myself.

legacyzero

Banned
It's not cynical, there is not a single game out there with procedurally generated content that compares to handcrafted environments (and just as importantly: map design to accommodate the gameplay mechanics)

You're acting as if you can procedurally generate a king's landing or minas tirith.

Those are the kinds of interesting and well designed environments people talk about when they say they want to explore. To find crazy points of interest like that.

You leave midgar in ff7 and on the world map you find junon and rocket town , you explore in dragon's dogma and find the valley of the wind and bluemoon tower.

You're not getting that quality of content with procedural generation , ever. And the odds of any semi interesting formations or designs to ever come out of the rng are so slim that you'll be wading through a sea of generic garbage before you ever find it.

'biomes' are not interesting, what you might find in them is. And that is what NMS is missing. No matter how many different biomes you generate, it's pointless as there is no junon or bluemoon tower waiting for you in them. And since everything is reset once you leave a planet you can't even leave your own mark and make your own creations like in minecraft. (a game not about exploring, but a creative sandbox, every last interesting scene ever screenshotted in minecraft is of hand made content created by the players)

People lose interest when they hear the words 'procedurally generated' for a reason
All this while COMPLETELY missing the point of WHY they are usong procedural generation. Tiny team - big universe. They rrall arent trying to create your hand crafted experience, but rather, create algorithms that can gandle that. And youre going off of complete assumption based off of history witg other games that did it, while writing No Mans Sky off for bo reason other than your cynicism.

SomTervo

There are a bunch of written hands-on previews by journalists from early May. I recommend reading those. Very enlightening and have interjections from the devs explaining stuff. In short:

- your 'objective' is to reach the center of the galaxy. When you open up the starmap you can see all nearby systems but also a 'breadcrumb trail', a gold line showing you the most direct route to the center
- the devs are very secretive about what is there, so we don't really know if it's a maguffin or if it will have meaningful content (presumably the latter, TBH. You don't give players a massive objective like that and then make it nothing but the credits)
- you start on the outer edge of the galaxy with low-tech gear. To get anywhere you need better engines, more fuel. To get these items/upgrades you need to hunt for resources, survive dangerous weather/animals, etc (this is the beginning of the 'what you do' gameplay loop)
- the closer you get to the center of the galaxy the more dangerous planets and space-faring races become. Planets will be more toxic (poison atmospheres, high radiation, freezing/extreme heat), and have more dangerous wildlife. So you need to keep upgrading your weapons, suit and ship to survive here. You can't just fly along merrily to the end of the game. You'll die repeatedly if you do. The devs are dedicated to making the game challenging (see my quote above to eXistor)
- reaching the center could take anywhere from 50-200 hours, or forever if you weren't interested and just wanted to explore
- there are a bunch of hand-crafted (ie non-random) space-faring races who you can enter dialogue with, who have faction affiliations, etc. Build up affiliation with them and you can have good trade. Kill them and you can steal their stuff but aggro other race members. They have buildings on planets you can break into, destroy, gain access to through dialogue. There are hints you can hire positive-affiliation race members as wingmen for more fire support. Different races are at war across the galaxy and these battles are just dynamically happening of their own accord

So as a player you have the choice to:
- just muck about in an endless, unique universe exploring and finding cool shit
- aim for the center of the galaxy to 'beat the game' and see what happens (will still lead to a long, hard adventure)
- join forces with an alien faction and take part in the galactic war

Ofc, you're basically making your own fun either way. Unless there's some really game-changing shit at the center of the galaxy.

Edit: and ofc none of it might come together and the game might still be shit

Thank you SomTervo for such a thorough update.

This thread has made me very curious, so I have decided, I will buy it and decide for myself.

My pleasure.

It's probably still wise to hold off and read reviews, but it would be cool to support a small team on day one.

Quoted my post back in for others' info.

Coxy100

Banned
Um. Planet's are just there. There's no scripting or on-railing surrounding them.

You can fly around a whole planet and pick where you want to land based on wildlife; buildings; resources; safety.

If you want, you can upgrade your ship's weapons and blow a hole clean through the planet and fly in to mine.

The choice is yours. It sounds like 75% of their work has been making the on-planet exploration as meaningful as possible. You can break into buildings, meet aliens, hide from space-based pursuers, tag wildlife, look for portals, etc etc.

There are a bunch of written hands-on previews by journalists from early May. I recommend reading those. Very enlightening and have interjections from the devs explaining stuff. In short:

- your 'objective' is to reach the center of the galaxy. When you open up the starmap you can see all nearby systems but also a 'breadcrumb trail', a gold line showing you the most direct route to the center
- the devs are very secretive about what is there, so we don't really know if it's a maguffin or if it will have meaningful content (presumably the latter, TBH. You don't give players a massive objective like that and then make it nothing but the credits)

- you start on the outer edge of the galaxy with low-tech gear. To get anywhere you need better engines, more fuel. To get these items/upgrades you need to hunt for resources, survive dangerous weather/animals, etc (this is the beginning of the 'what you do' gameplay loop)
- the closer you get to the center of the galaxy the more dangerous planets and space-faring races become. Planets will be more toxic (poison atmospheres, high radiation, freezing/extreme heat), and have more dangerous wildlife. So you need to keep upgrading your weapons, suit and ship to survive here. You can't just fly along merrily to the end of the game. You'll die repeatedly if you do. The devs are dedicated to making the game challenging (see my quote above to eXistor)
- reaching the center could take anywhere from 50-200 hours, or forever if you weren't interested and just wanted to explore
- there are a bunch of hand-crafted (ie non-random) space-faring races who you can enter dialogue with, who have faction affiliations, etc. Build up affiliation with them and you can have good trade. Kill them and you can steal their stuff but aggro other race members. They have buildings on planets you can break into, destroy, gain access to through dialogue. There are hints you can hire positive-affiliation race members as wingmen for more fire support. Different races are at war across the galaxy and these battles are just dynamically happening of their own accord

So as a player you have the choice to:
- just muck about in an endless, unique universe exploring and finding cool shit
- aim for the center of the galaxy to 'beat the game' and see what happens (will still lead to a long, hard adventure)
- join forces with an alien faction and take part in the galactic war

Ofc, you're basically making your own fun either way. Unless there's some really game-changing shit at the center of the galaxy.

Edit: and ofc none of it might come together and the game might still be shit
I reckon it will be Peter Molyneux' face :)

SomTervo

I reckon it will be Peter Molyneux' face :)

*boot game up*

*play for 100 hours*

*reach galactic center*

*black screen*

"Sony Interactive Entertainment presents..."

"Created by Hello Games..."

*black screen for 10 seconds*

molyneux1.jpg

Freeman76

All this while COMPLETELY missing the point of WHY they are usong procedural generation. Tiny team - big universe. They rrall arent trying to create your hand crafted experience, but rather, create algorithms that can gandle that. And youre going off of complete assumption based off of history witg other games that did it, while writing No Mans Sky off for bo reason other than your cynicism.

As opposed to blind faith?

karnage10

Banned
Personally i'm waiting for users impressions, i think this game is something that i really want to experience however i don't know if the current technology can make this game satisfying for me. I'll wait for users review talking about the factions, the crafting and most importantly the felling of the exploration.

Artdayne

I just have no idea what you do in the game, it sounded interesting when it was revealed and I'll keep my eye out to see how well it is received but it's not a must buy right now.

web01

I think people will tear this game to shreds after release.
No way it can live up to the illusion they are selling through marketing.
The randomly generated content wont hold up once people start comparing and seeing everything is just variations on a small amount of actual content.
Based on what they have shown there is also legit concerns on how this game will run on a technical level.

E92 M3

Minecraft isn't about exploring? The most interesting engaging thing about Minecraft is the exploration. Seeing what natural formations are over the next hill, or finding an insane cave system to descend into. That's the main reason I played and enjoyed the game so much

I have zero interest in building things in Minecraft. That's boring.

Trust me, exploring landscapes for me is just as exciting as exploring cities and towns in other games

I've been saying that for so long. I fell in love with the Minecraft beta due to the limitless exploration. Never cared much for the building and found it very boring.

Also, why I was disappointed that Xbox version had a limited map lol.

I think people will tear this game to shreds after release.
The randomly generated content wont hold up once people start comparing and seeing everything is just variations on a small amount of actual content.
Based on what they have shown there is also legit concerns on how this game will run on a technical level.

You have no idea what you're talking about. There is no "illusion" it's all math that is being propagated by their custom engine. And most recent videos show the game running very well.

Stop being ignorant and actually look stuff up.

--

Destiny was trolled for months in the gaming section and it seems to be the same for NMS.

I have been so hyped for this game since the initial reveal (which I consider one of be best reveal trailers ever ).

However as more on more has been shown my hyped has started to die down a little and I worry I will quickly get bored of just exploring the worlds (not to mention those sentinels ).

But I feel there is also a ton of stuff they have kept hidden , I am hoping for tons of story lore hidden away , or unique points of interest (like some of the crashed ship stuff they have briefly shown), but I will wait and see what the reviews say before I fully commit .

Greddleok

I stand exactly where I stood since it's initial announcement.

Cautious optimism. It looks cool, but it could end up shit, just like pretty much every game announced.

SomTervo

What illusion? Journalists played it back in May and found it wowing.

Also, the content isn't 'randomly generated' and no, it is not likely to be a problem. There are so many variables as well as so many procedural systems working on top of each other, from high-to-low levels, that there will be millions of unique combinations and probably thousands of drastically-different combinations of creatures, planets, etc.

This is a legit worry and could completely fuck the game. On PC it'll be grand but the PS4's CPU is meant to be struggling.

Vex_

Banned
Was interested in it. Heard of the possibility of multiplayer. Then heard it was actually "multiplayer". Went to a "eh". Really wanted to explore this game coop with my bro, but "eh" is all I can say.

All that's left is well, a forever moving release date and I just sort of forget this game exists sometimes unless a thread like this is made.... "eh".

As impressive as the game's ambition is, I will probably pass. It doesnt look like the kind of game I would get into even if they manage to pull everything off (which is still an open question IMO).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Diablo III is Click on monsters until they die. Have I simplified it to the point of having no meaning? I don't think so. It's actually a very good game because it's polished and people like the gameplay loop and sense of progression. Will we be satisfied with no mans sky? I won't know until I've played it.

Edit: oh and feel free to correct when I'm wrong. You asked me to elaborate and I had the courtesy to do so. I'm not sure why you havent shown me the same courtesy.
Well, if you said Diablo III was "just click monsters until they die. It doesn't seem polished." How is that different? That tells us absolutely nothing. What first person shooter can't be reduced to "Pew pew Point reticule, watch laser or projectile fire"? How does that make it unpolished?

Exploration on the planet is about dropping a probe and walking to blinking thing.
This is frankly untrue. Some objects can be scanned, but you know, you have a scanner, so buildings will be found... So will other objects that you know, scanners can locate. Special places like underground caves, special caches of materials, and unique animals wouldn't be simply scanned.
Space travel is zoom out, warp to new destination.
So is elite:dangerous when boiled down to the way you have it. Yet you say "Space travel is not exactly elite dangerous."

Progression seems too simple. After you warp to new destination, get better tech and warp to even further destination.
Like the whole Diablo thing, this ignores things like being a trader, being a pirate, making money to upgrade just by being an explorer and discovering new planets and animals. Getting more tech by befriending aliens. You know, all the stuff you do in Elite, too (minus the aliens atm).

MaxiLive

I'm still interested in the game but I don't think it will have the 100 of hours of playtime that people are expecting for 23678234 billion different planets.

The biomes and feels of the planets will all become very similar hopefully the way they push you to the centre adds more curve balls in terms of abstract environments, space storms or other weird natural affects they can come up with.

I'm pretty sure it will be a decent game but the expectations of most players may put them off when they realise it is still a video game with a small about of gameplay hooks with just a massive playground to explore.

I just hope its fun to explore the planets and hopefully there is enough variety on them to make you want to explore more than 10m of the planet as well as a wide variety of planet types/biomes so every 3rd planet doesn't feel super similar.

It is going to be great at launch when everyone is showing off the planets they've found and the creatures they've encountered.

SomTervo

Was interested in it. Heard of the possibility of multiplayer. Then heard it was actually "multiplayer". Went to a "eh". Really wanted to explore this game coop with my bro, but "eh" is all I can say.

So let me get this straight...

> you were interested
> they announced it was multiplayer (which they never did)
> you became less interested
> then said you wanted to play it with your bro
> so it's eh 'because it's multiplayer' (which it isn't)

OuterLimits

I'm worried sales are going to be a disaster. Why has hype died so much for the game? From what I have seen, it looks pretty good. Were expectations so high, that it's now almost impossible to reach?

Or is the delay the main reason people are worried? My biggest concern is the technical aspect, especially on PS4. I don't have a good PC currently, so hopefully the PS4 version doesn't run terribly.

I'm worried sales are going to be a disaster. Why has hype died so much for the game? From what I have seen, it looks pretty good. Were expectations so high, that it's now almost impossible to reach?
It won't. It was already a top seller on Amazon and Steam, and the Collector Editon sold out

At least 170,00 preorders only in North America is the number I've seen online back when preorders became available

Greddleok

Might as well shut down GAF and replace it with a simple HTML page featuring nothing but this sentence

Gaf is more interesting when people talk about games that have already released. It's better when it's not just an extension of the marketing machine.

Cth

And I still implies cynicism. Its not fair to judge a developer based on OTHER games.

Or to put it another way, no one realistically thought the Russo Brothers could go from making a TV show like Community and then crank out something like Winter Soldier. For that reason, I'm not so quick to dismiss similar ambitious risks. I can understand why others might be more cynical, but I can only speak for myself

A mix of a few things I'd imagine. Yes, the delay brought the game into the spotlight once more which reignited the debate between "this is awesome/this is stupid" and both sides are likely tired of repeating themselves. Add in the fact that E3 just happened and there's a lot of focus/discussion on those games that drowns out pretty much everything else. I mean, we have people souring the RE7 demo for clues, playing it hundreds of times (something with 15 minutes of content or so).

Day one on PS4 for me, at the same time I'll buy it for two of my kids for their PC's. Just pissed I can't find the collectors edition here in Australia, EBgames aren't listing it anymore.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd argue that maybe also a lot of rogue-lites and survival games have a very dull sounding gameplay loop (especially if you don't disclose the actual amount (and variations) of loot, enemies, locations and other gameplay systems), but I think the "giant wall of text" bit is absolutely the number one reason why so many people have trouble figuring out what this game is about.

If they'd shown a half an hour of an actual, unmoderated gameplay loop (with all the glitches and rough edges of an early access game, for example) showing absolutely all (or most) gameplay systems early on (they've started doing some of it much later in the dev cycle, especially in relation to the marketing push), it would've been a lot clearer to most people. I'm not actually saying they should have done that, as I'm kinda happy they didn't (although I might've preferred if they were these strange, esoteric devs with a cloud of mystery hanging over them), but if they did, it would help the marketing side of things. That's why I'm very interested in just how well it will sell despite all that, or will it really hurt its sales (but there won't really be a good way of knowing that for sure).

But yeah, for the folks that try to explain the game with long walls of text (including myself!), it doesn't have much of an effect (and I'm really not trying to insult anyone here, on any side of the argument).

No Man's Sky is a freeform first person single player survival/exploration rogue-lite space trading sim set in a procedurally generated universe (as in whole galaxies), with endless alien species to discover, battles to fight and money to earn, gather resources, upgrade your gear, suit and ship and discover the mystery of the center of the universe.

That's what you do.

How you do it... (which is what most people actually mean by saying "what do you do") well, that's something you can piece together by reading massive info repositories, watching some gameplay preview videos and make educated guesses, but because how info dumps and marketing's been handled, we'll really know the full breadth of the gameplay once the game comes out and there's been enough time to learn most emergent gameplay systems.

I don't think the problem is the wall of text explanations leading to people still not getting what the game is.

I think it's more your first line...that the people who don't get it just don't like these types of games. They also probably don't like rogue likes, survival games like Don't Starve etc. They're probably more like me (who gets what NMS is and understands that it's likely just not for me which is fine) who mostly only enjoy games with a clear purpose/progression/narrative and mostly only enjoy AAA games.

People saying "what do you do?" are more saying "what's the appeal of this game?" When they should just accept that it's not for them and move on.

Some people like exploring virtual worlds, gathering resources, crafting and upgrading things and working toward a vague goal with little to no narrative. Others don't. It's as simple as that.

Trying to explain what you do in the game ends up in circular posts with walls of text not because the skeptics don't get it, but because the gameplay loop just isn't appealing to them. That and the usual trolling from people that like getting a rise and egging people into wasting time writing walls of text of course. And then you get more arguments as the defenders insult those who aren't interested saying they need a ton of "Ubisoft handholding" to enjoy games etc. etc. and you get threads like this.

TheFatMan

I'm excited for the game, but I am a little nervous. It just seems weird to me that the game is only 5 weeks away and they really aren't saying or showing anything at all.

That said, it's a dope idea with a "shoot for the moon" mentality and I will definitely be giving Hello Games my money on day one. If for no other reason than to encourage more games like this.

Mr Git

I'm still very excited for this - it's basically my dream sci-fi game with the aesthetic of old sci fi cover art. Wonderful. Unfortunately my MA thesis is due in end of August so I'll have to wait until then to play it. :C

Hahs

...a large minority of people here are saying this game has too much hype, but nobody can eloquently elaborate why this is. No fucking clue what their talking about - because although it's procedurally generated, it has essentially been demoed like most other games in the past.

I think people taking facts and speculating about them is the hype, but that's it...like essentially we hyped this game - the people speculating. Hello Games already knows what the fuck NMS is about - it's for us to find out - hence this post and others like it.

Here's another conundrum:

What's considered too much - how the hell do you quantify "too much hype" before the hype can be reviewed? Acting all Dionne Warwick.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
...a large minority of people here are saying this game has too much hype, but nobody can eloquently elaborate why this is. No fucking clue what their talking about - because although it's procedurally generated, it has essentially been demoed like most other games in the past.

I think people taking facts and speculating about them is the hype, but that's it...like essentially we hyped this game - the people speculating. Hello Games already knows what the fuck NMS is about - it's for us to find out - hence this post and others like it.

Here's another conundrum:

What's considered too much - how the hell do you quantify "too much hype" before the hype can be reviewed? Acting all Dionne Warwick.

I think it's more people worrying that the hype/recognition will lead to a lot of backlash when the game comes out.

It's a niche genre indie game that will end up selling more than it would without the hype as a lot of people will buy it who aren't really into these type of games, get bored with it quickly, feel like they got ripped off at $60 for a "shitty indie game" etc.

Of course, it's those own peoples fault for buying games based on hype rather than really seeing what the game is and whether it's their cup of tea before buying it. But many people are sheep and buy every hyped new game and then bitch endlessly online about the ones they end up not liking.

Lonnie413

Are they still sticking to the thing where you won't know if you see another player you can't tell if it's a friend, a bot, or another human player? I remember hearing about this when it was first announced.

Illucio

Banned
Day 1.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be disappointed with the game, so if the game is good in anyway I will be content.

E92 M3

I think the new Zelda game looks really boring, but I don't go around asking ignorant questions in the Nintendo threads.

Molemitts

I'm very cautious so I'm going to wait not just for reviews but what the player opinions will be like after a while. I'm not going to get my hopes up for anything, but if it turns out to be good then that's cool.

100% in this camp, especially the wading through a sea of generic garbage factor.

The aesthetics are beautiful and I wish there was anything about this gameplay wise that pointed towards anything promising for my tastes, but alas I see nothing but utter boredom. What they've shown isn't the kind of exploration I'm remotely interested in for reasons better stated by the poster I've quoted.

As it stands, it's No Man's Buy for me.

Cloud7

I loved the first reveal in 2014. I was interested in the game with the 2015 trailer but started to become skeptical. Now, my skepticism has reached a peak. All we see is that you go to a planet for 5 minutes, check things out. claim it, and move on. There's gotta be more to this game than that. I still want to play it but I won't buy it day one.

Does the alien faction AI actually like, do anything? Or are we still hyping up "if you make an enemy go hostile his friends go hostile" and "enemies pointlessly fight each other when they come into range of each other" as anything other than absolutely rudimentary npc behaviour?

Top Bottom