• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

where is the industry headed without nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnimal

Banned
*dodges beer bottle....chair and tomato*

WAIT A GOT DERN MINUTE! :lol

Serious topic here. Those who have been into gaming as long as I have have pretty much known nintendo to be the innovator. Before the NES there were games. You know. Defender! yay! fly around the screen on an endless level! :lol the physics were kinda cool though. I remember when I first got an NES. Mine was packed with Gyromite and Duck Hunt. By the way, who created gyromite?

Anyway, Enter super mario. This was probably the first game I played where I not only felt connected to the character but the worlds were amazing as well. You WANTED to explore them. you WANTED to find all the secrets. Super Mario pretty much ended up shaping an entire 2 generations and an amazing 2 generations it was.

Next up we had the 32/64 bit era. Not only did mario make a come back but he helped usher the revolution of 3d gaming. Many will argue that many had a hand in this, sega and namco namely with their arcade games BUT nintendo did it at home and along with mario 64 3d gaming began to take shape. Everyone followed suite and not only built on but expanded and improved on nintendos ideas of having a vast 3d would to explore.

Now I dont know where or why it exactly happened but we seem to have gotten "stuck" per se. there has been a whole generation in there without much movement. Sure games are getting "better" but there hasn't been anything truly "new". One could say Microsoft has done best in adding to the formula. Bringing the real world to the fantasy worlds pioneered by nintendo with xbox LIVE but deep down, Its not THAT much different.

When you look at the past generation, the one real innovator that was missing was nintendo. Its as if they are the great equalizer and the balance has shifted. Not shifted from nintendo but shifted because they havent come up with anything new for the rest of the world to copy and then improve upon. Then comes the question, will there really be a revolution with the revolution? We keep hearing nintendo say its not about power and you know what? they are right. Its about ideas. Its about change. Maybe they ARE indeed cooking up something that will wow us all gameplay wise and at the same time give the rest of the rookies something to dream up new gameplay ideas with but hat happens if this isnt the case? will we remain stuck in the same old same old with a few new bells and whistles or with somone else be bold enough to take gaming to the next level?

LakeEarth

hutz_lionel.jpg

"If there's anything the world needs, its more Nintendo. Can you imagine a world without Nintendo?"
lawyer_thumb.jpg

(shudders)

Gattsu25

Banned
wow
Nintendo made Zelda and Mario? great gosh that's amazing

last I checked Nintendo was still a major player in the industry.
*checks again*
yep...still are

now...their importance IS going down...but they still play a major role...and I feel their "old library" thing involving the Revolution will be more than worth their investment...they may not always deliver...but they know how to discreetly bleed their fanbase

Link316

Banned
the industry's been doing just fine with Sony leading it, if Nintendo was still in the driver's seat it would probably be as stagnant as the handheld industry is

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Link316 said:
the industry's been doing just fine with Sony leading it, if Nintendo was still in the driver's seat it would probably be as stagnant as the handheld industry is

I fully expected to come in here and find a DRINKY troll of MASSIVE proportions. Kinda odd at least we have others who valiantly take up the mantle while he's on his hiatus.

I really hope Revolution does well I'd hate to see NINTENDO go the way of SEGA

Barnimal

Banned
thats the thing. the industry IS stagnant. sony hasn't done a damn thing. gimme a break. name one game thats doing something way different than SM64. even something like GTA can be traced back to SM64. its just more evolved. more mature and a fleshed out story and play. deep down its still very much based on nintendo pioneered 3d gameplay.

koam

Barnimal said:
*dodges beer bottle....chair and tomato*

WAIT A GOT DERN MINUTE! :lol

Serious topic here. Those who have been into gaming as long as I have have pretty much known nintendo to be the innovator. Before the NES there were games. You know. Defender! yay! fly around the screen on an endless level! :lol the physics were kinda cool though. I remember when I first got an NES. Mine was packed with Gyromite and Duck Hunt. By the way, who created gyromite?

Anyway, Enter super mario. This was probably the first game I played where I not only felt connected to the character but the worlds were amazing as well. You WANTED to explore them. you WANTED to find all the secrets. Super Mario pretty much ended up shaping an entire 2 generations and an amazing 2 generations it was.

Next up we had the 32/64 bit era. Not only did mario make a come back but he helped usher the revolution of 3d gaming. Many will argue that many had a hand in this, sega and namco namely with their arcade games BUT nintendo did it at home and along with mario 64 3d gaming began to take shape. Everyone followed suite and not only built on but expanded and improved on nintendos ideas of having a vast 3d would to explore.

Now I dont know where or why it exactly happened but we seem to have gotten "stuck" per se. there has been a whole generation in there without much movement. Sure games are getting "better" but there hasn't been anything truly "new". One could say Microsoft has done best in adding to the formula. Bringing the real world to the fantasy worlds pioneered by nintendo with xbox LIVE but deep down, Its not THAT much different.

When you look at the past generation, the one real innovator that was missing was nintendo. Its as if they are the great equalizer and the balance has shifted. Not shifted from nintendo but shifted because they havent come up with anything new for the rest of the world to copy and then improve upon. Then comes the question, will there really be a revolution with the revolution? We keep hearing nintendo say its not about power and you know what? they are right. Its about ideas. Its about change. Maybe they ARE indeed cooking up something that will wow us all gameplay wise and at the same time give the rest of the rookies something to dream up new gameplay ideas with but hat happens if this isnt the case? will we remain stuck in the same old same old with a few new bells and whistles or with somone else be bold enough to take gaming to the next level?

You're forgetting about the hardware. Nintendo brought out analog sticks last gen, the wavebird this gen, the DS for portables. Let's not forget their two latest IPs, Electroplankton and Nintendogs.

Barnimal

Banned
quotes like this worry me...

from the miyamoto interview

Nintendo is about entertainment, and we're looking at trying to get users from five to 95.

i really dont think nintendo was about this back during super mario in the 8 bit days and mario at 64. I know damn well he wasnt worried about a 95 year old trying to figure out mario 64.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I dunno. I'm pretty much done lamenting Nintendo's position in the industry. They're going to do their own thing, and I'm going to follow them because I like what they're doing. That's all I care about.

Borys

Banned
Barnimal said:
thats the thing. the industry IS stagnant. sony hasn't done a damn thing. gimme a break. name one game thats doing something way different than SM64. even something like GTA can be traced back to SM64. its just more evolved. more mature and a fleshed out story and play. deep down its still very much based on nintendo pioneered 3d gameplay.

Uhh... what?
How about tracing GTA back to the GTA games on PC? You know, the 2D ones? It's the same damn game only in 2D.

You shouldn't ignore PC gaming :/

Barnimal

Banned
Borys said:
Uhh... what?
How about tracing GTA back to the GTA games on PC? You know, the 2D ones? It's the same damn game only in 2D.

You shouldn't ignore PC gaming :/

so you are telling me that in 2d gta you could hide in a parking structure for a few then make your way to the rooftop and not only take out helicopters above you but pedestrians and cops below you as well? 3d gameplay. KTHNXBYE!

TheDiave

Banned
In the nuevo gamers eyes, it'll be just fine. To the old school gamers, to hell in a hand basket.

I'd really hate to see Nintendo go third party.

FiRez

Have you factored that "just maybe" you're getting bored of the gaming world?
I mean, IMHO I don't feel the need of a revolution in the way of playing games

Zer0

Banned
Barnimal said:
so you are telling me that in 2d gta you could hide in a parking structure for a few then make your way to the rooftop and not only take out helicopters above you but pedestrians and cops below you as well? 3d gameplay. KTHNXBYE!

3d gaming was invented by nintendo? sure..

GDGF

Soothsayer
Nintendo's not going to go third party just for the fuck of it. They make money hand over fist. It's going to take them alot of time to burn through that 7 billion or so dollars in the bank.

(and they'd actually have to start losing cash, first)

Barnimal said:

Dude, I love Nintendo and SM64 and all, but you're pushing it WAY TOO FAR with that post... sheesh.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Naked Snake said:
Dude, I love Nintendo and SM64 and all, but you're pushing it WAY TOO FAR with that post... sheesh.

Yeah, I know what he's saying though. Sandbox gameplay is pretty much the same thing as Miyamoto's Mario 64 'garden' design concept, and Zelda :MoM took it even further.

(just adding fuel to the fire :))

Barnimal

Banned
FiRez said:
Have you factored that "just maybe" you're getting bored of the gaming world?
I mean, IMHO I don't feel the need of a revolution in the way of playing games

not bored at all. i used GTA3 as an example because its my absolute favorit evolution of 3d gaming. its funny because i HATE vice city and san andreas and i just realized why. part 3 was more gameplay focused and the freedom seemed more plentiful. VC and SA seem more story/fluff driven. zzzzzz. My most anticipated 360 game is saints row because its going to take my favorite from this gen to the next level but in the end its still going to be more of the same. Then again the advanced physics could make for better destruction. :lol totally destructable levels in adventuring games like these could help alot actually.

GDGF said:
Yeah, I know what he's saying though. Sandbox gameplay is pretty much the same thing as Miyamoto's Mario 64 'garden' design concept, and Zelda :MoM took it even further.

(just adding fuel to the fire :))

thats EXACTLY what i'm saying. its all just evolution.

3d gaming was invented by nintendo? sure..

didnt i already say that sega and namco did it in the arcades? ???? READ. sure they didnt "invent" it but they brought all the necessary pieces together and put it all in the right place at the right time for the rest of the industry to want to take it and run with it.

Eyetoy + Antigrav = Innovation upside yo' head!

Sony just doesn't churn out a bunch of second rate consoles to justify their predilection for screwball hardware like Nintendo.

I'd like nothing more than for Nintendo to steal the second place spot from Microsoft; but they seem to be too far gone to manage even that. :D

Barnimal said:
not bored at all. i used GTA3 as an example because its my absolute favorit evolution of 3d gaming. its funny because i HATE vice city and san andreas and i just realized why. part 3 was more gameplay focused and the freedom seemed more plentiful. VC and SA seem more story/fluff driven. zzzzzz.

WTF? There's no way GTA3 is more free than San Andreas. Vice City I can somewhat understand, but San Andreas just allows you to do so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom