• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which type of game do you play more /prefer?

cuccoo

A. One time game (most RPG, action adventure)
B. Repetitive/constant replay (tetris, anything on bnet, counter strike, UT)

I spend most of my time on B, but I spend more $$$ on A with sizable backlog.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Option B for me - Quick Fix Gaming.

I just do not have the time to invest in a single long gaming session, so I tend to stay away from plot-based games now.

When I do get enough time to play something for longer than 30 mins I tend to run LOTS of laps in a driving sim on the PC. (GPL, F1C, and currently the GTR Demo.)

Freeburn.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
A is far superior.

B is only good because of multiplayer.

A with Co-op is the ultimate form of gaming.

Solid

Easily A. But Pro Evolution Soccer 3 is probably the best game I've bought this gen. I play it EVERY day, and have been doing so since October. Best replay value ever imo.

puck1337

B. Puzzlers, fighters, sports, FPS. I don't have time to sit down for hours at a time and type A games don't feel worth it if you play in short stretches.

etiolate

Banned
I like both, but prefer A. A good adventure/RPG game isn't a one time experience, but something you'll replay just because its fun. I prefer a game world to a game level.

Ramirez

A)

I like games that engross me in a story or long epic adventure...stuff like Shenmue,KOTOR,Zelda,MGS,etc. Can't beat'em :D

Although Diablo 2 does pwn me :p

Mumbles

A. Even more so now that puzzle games, shootemups, and the like are drying up. And it doesn't help that most online content bores me.

Wario64 said:
B

Wario Ware rox you

so does online play
headbang.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm definetly more into A. There are so many games that I want to play I can't afford to waste time on many games that fall into the B category.

Xizk

I like both, but it's great when there's a good category A game that I can spend much time on.

Lately I've been playing B games because there hasn't been any good A games released in a while.

I flip flop between the two for every couple months.

One month I run through Gaiden, Far Cry, a coupla Hitmans, coupla Metroids...

Then the next I'm up till 4am every night practicing SF3rd and SC2 combos and using kawaks to go through the same thirty seconds of Metal Slug ad nauseum.

However, some type A's can be played like type B's: that is, repeatively. Hitman is a good example of this.

Pimpbaa

B for sure. I don't know how anyone can say A. Any game I only want to play through once I consider crap. Although it's not really good to catagorize games into those 2 choices, cause I'm there are are lots of "A" type games that have the infinite replayability of a "B" title.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I much prefer B, mostly because I don't have time for A these days.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Oooof. I don't know. On one hand it seems that many of my favorite games of all time are A. A good adventure with good fighting/puzzles. The Zelda Franchise, etc.

But it seems often that the best games tread the line. Ninja Gaiden was an adventure game, but really it's arcade like in it's clear times, etc. A good beat-em up like that is my favorite kind of game. And sometimes I bemoan the lack of Metal Slug type games or current gen games that have the capability to remind me of when games were new to me. Beautiful, hard to master, replayable with a narrative that actually holds the game together but doesn't try to be a movie or novel (hello SMB!)

I guess I need a mix. I've been a heavy reader/film watcher longer than a game player, and when I play games that are heavily based on narrative (most rpgs) I end up feeling their lack.

I have to stay away from all B type games, because I'm a sucker for online multiplayer first person shooters. Occasionally games like Tony Hawk or puzzle games suck me in too, but I don't have the same amounts of free time to pour into them like I used to, I have a big backlog of A type games to be busy with.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
longer a response time

whether a game fall sinto A or B really depends on the person playing it. I wouldn't ever really classify any game as being only A or only B... but like... scales maybe. Like you can have a game thats say... 3/10 A and 5/10 B. They aren't supposed to add up, just sort of measures against the rest of the games in existance. like consider it as percentiles. This myster games is better than 30% of all games if treated as an A game, but better than 50% of all games if treated as a B game. Something like that.

I tend to think of A games as... entertainment that is crafted so intentionally and so well that no random aspects could ever compare. The downside being of course that you lose replayability. I tend to think A is better because of that human touch of craftmenship.

I think of it like say... riddles. I love riddles in video games because of how cleverly designed they can be and how I have to often think so hard to realize the solution. But a riddle is a one time thing. Once you know the answer, the riddle can never be fun again. But I find that 5 minutes of riddle solving to be better than any amount of replayability that could have been substituted in its place.

even something like monkey ball for me... the singleplayer is an A, and the multiplayer is a B. I did everything there was to do for singleplayer. Master mode, all of it. And it was a one time thing for me. Once I had seen every level and thought of a way to master it, thats it, done. I've never played the game since. For me SMB single player is an A.

but many treat it as a B. Replaying each level trying to get faster and faster times. I find that utterly boring. Its not for me. But the game appeals to both types and so there is something about the gameplay that is simultaneously A and B.

or I guess a better example would be diablo 2. I thought that was a good game, but again, its an A game for me. One time through in single player, I saw the story, beat the game, the end. Never wanted to play it again.

so obviously, I treat every game as if its an A game to begin with, and thus, games that do A well are generally going to appeal to me.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Give me B any day of the week. I do A, but it's so rarely that when I do, it's got to be a memorable and spectacular game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In the long run I find Type A games more rewarding and memorable, but it's difficult for me to find the time to invest in those, so I tend to play more Type B titles.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A, and those are the ones I replay the most.

These days, I have NO patience for B type console games. Strangely, I do dig them on my GBA, however.

I love A, but B is great with friends. Unfortunately, B is the only type of game I seem to have time for anymore, as I have been trying to find the time to get back to Dragon Quarter ( love the game)for almost a year; thus, GBA has been my friend lately.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I'm really finding myself running out of time for A games. I just don't have the will to devote so much time to keeping up with the game and story. I use to be an A gamer, but college, girlfriend, etc.

B gaming is easily the way to go. Wario Ware, Animal Crossing, and Super Smash Brothers easily some of the best of the bunch.

Auron

I play both, but A titles are the usually the only ones I purchase. Shorter games just aren't worth the investment.

arter_2

b

i dont know y but i get addicted to them especially hard ones and i never stop till i perfectly complete them.

DCX

DCX
I don't usually play in groups, very seldom...but i love B, but i grew up on A. Lately though A games have B components which make the AB great!!

DCX

Subitai

cuccoo said:
A. One time game (most RPG, action adventure)
B. Repetitive/constant replay (tetris, anything on bnet, counter strike, UT)

I spend most of my time on B, but I spend more $$$ on A with sizable backlog.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat you are. I'm always playing Generals: Zero Hour and MechAssault long after I've I play through more of the RPGs and action games I buy.

Top Bottom