• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

While homelessness surges in Disneyland's shadow, Anaheim removes bus benches.

Gallbaro

Banned
Addiction is still a mental illness though and it's likely that those people are self-medicating in order to stave off another mental illness be it depression, anxiety disorders or something more debilitating.

I'm curious to know the difference in prices between street drugs and the prescription drugs (w/o insurance) that have similar effects on various mental illnesses. I wouldn't be surprised that street drugs are cheaper. Unfortunately I can't find any info on that.
No. The methadone clinic is in the area.

ezrarh

America needs to just face the fact that we're going to have to legalize make-shift slums at some point because we certainly aren't willing to do what it takes to build enough housing that's affordable.

Gallbaro

Banned
This was absolutely true a decade ago but over the last 5 years I have been seeing a lot more mothers with kids.
I generally avoid the area now. That MacDonald's and that Wendy's.

America needs to just face the fact that we're going to have to legalize make shift-slums at some point because we certainly aren't willing to do what it takes to build enough housing that's affordable.

As long as the middle class doesn't go underwater on their loans, fuck everyone else.

I don't think the people affected by rising rents are the same as the ones leaving behind needles and defacating on the sidewalk.

Why not? There are no public bathrooms outside, so they go in stairwells and nooks. You have to understand - hundreds of people have been camped outside the courthouse for years now. It's kind of their defacto home, and at night when all public facilities shut down, you run into this problem.

Let's say someone manages to get a minimum wage job. Where are they going to find an apartment with that wage in OC?

None of those things statistically reduce homelessness.

Contrary to popular belief. The USA does not have a homeless problem as bad as UK, Australia, or Canada even.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Not sure how each country is calculated, the figure is really about 40k for the UK and not 250k. The recent 250k has been generated from people living in hostels and other accommodation.

Sleeping rough there's around 3-4k in the whole England (pop 55 mill) and LA County (pop 10 mill) has 40k unsheltered. Perhaps someone can get better figures for LA county that tally with UK's sleeping rough term. Unsheltered sounds like sleeping rough to me.

Ashhong

Going to Disneyland in two months for the first time ever. Our hotel is about a half mile away from the parks and we were planning to walk... I'm sure I'll be seeing this. I just couldn't justify the cost of staying at a Disneyland on-site hotel and paying more than double (even with their discounted room rates that just came out today) for no perks other than not walking by homeless people.

Depends on what hotel and where really. I live about a mile away and my walk to Disney has almost no homeless. Also I imagine you will be walking at a time when there are a lot of others walking as well. I think you'll be fine.

Solving the homelessness is not feasible by merely raising taxes. In particular, CA state government does not need more money, the budget is large enough. The issue is what the money is spent, which is absolutely squat.

Truth is, government institutions in particular are pretty poor at allocating funds efficiently. Look at the Federal budget and just how large military spending is. We could cut the budget massively, and still have the largest military budget in the world and plenty of cash to use towards funding affordable housing and then some. Don't tax poor households more, otherwise the vicious cycle continues. Taxes in SoCal are already appropriately high, use what money you have now with more financial responsibility.

What we need is smarter leaders and public officials.

EDIT: I'll provide an example. I have a friend who works as a lifeguard at a public pool. He makes between $13-15 per hour. Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but one he and myself share, he is ridiculously overpaid. First off, the cost of living in my area is lower than the US average (though I'm aware of flaws in those statistics). He usually has plenty of free time on the job, as the pool is rarely used during any period that isn't summer, and works even during the Winter! Even in the Summer, the pool is rarely if ever full. Now, I'm not saying that minimum wage is appropriate in this case, that's too damn low. But little justification for making so much.

Now an argument I expect is that this creates job, people should be paid more, etc etc. I agree, but in a world riddled with scarcity, you have to budget.

Of course, you could just raise taxes and be done with it. This doesn't solve the inefficiency issue, though.

State Rep Weiner wants to severely limit the ability of local municipalities to limit new housing construction. It would be a massive step towards reducing the wealth of upper middle class homeowners and redistribute it to poor renters. When housing prices go down, more people can afford houses.

This appears to be a solid plan, since gentrification is certainly one of the driving forces in rising housing prices. I see it in my home town and it depresses me greatly.

Gallbaro

Banned
Solving the homelessness is not feasible by merely raising taxes. In particular, CA state government does not need more money, the budget is large enough. The issue is what the money is spent, which is absolutely squat.

Truth is, government institutions in particular are pretty poor at allocating funds efficiently. Look at the Federal budget and just how large military spending is. We could cut the budget massively, and still have the largest military budget in the world and plenty of cash to use towards funding affordable housing and then some. Don't tax poor households more, otherwise the vicious cycle continues. Taxes in SoCal are already appropriately high, use what money you have now with more financial responsibility.

What we need is smarter leaders and public officials.

State Rep Weiner wants to severely limit the ability of local municipalities to limit new housing construction. It would be a massive step towards reducing the wealth of upper middle class homeowners and redistribute it to poor renters. When housing prices go down, more people can afford houses.

Artanisix

You do realize that most people who are homeless in the US are by choice? There is a reason mental illness is rampant among the homeless population... They often refuse to take part in govt programs that could help them.

But you guys have an agenda.. Keep on that

It's not like the us homeless population percent is very close to Norway and other western countries

Yep... It's a strange thing that not a lot of people acknowledge. A lot of people who are homeless have options of shelter available to them. They just don't use them.

Better assistance for mental illness would go a loooong way towards culling the homeless population.

junpei

A lot of people are saying the Disney isn't at fault but it's not like they exist in a vacuum. Having Disney anything next to any area is going to make the price of property and rent go up. That in turn is going to contribute to homelessness. It may not be their intention but their presence alone does have a consequence. Maybe they can use their political power in order to specify that any sort of taxes or money that they paid to the government a portion of that has to be used in order to help the homeless. I don't think it's wrong for the community to ask them for more help either. Build more homes not benches to hurt the homeless.

Gallbaro

Banned
A lot of people are saying the Disney isn't at fault but it's not like they exist in a vacuum. Having Disney anything next to any area is going to make the price of property and rent go up. That in turn is going to contribute to homelessness. It may not be their intention but their presence alone does have a consequence. Maybe they can use their political power in order to specify that any sort of taxes or money that they paid to the government a portion of that has to be used in order to help the homeless. I don't think it's wrong for the community to ask them for more help either. Build more homes not benches to hurt the homeless.

Disney was there way, way, way before the area actually had housing.

And once again hard to produce housing when the voting citizenry does not want not housing to devalue their own housing. Homelessness is a political problem of the local level.

Kill3r7

I generally about the area now. That MacDonald's and that Wendy's.

As long as the middle class doesn't go underwater on their loans, fuck everyone else.

True.

Mothers can also be junkies. It is sad but true. Surely they aren't all but some probably are.

Since I became a dad I have become a total softie. Seeing kids suffer or potentially be hungry is heartbreaking. It is probably why I started noticing the mothers more. The one thing about the tri-state area is that you become numb to homeless people. It is a necessary coping mechanism.

KSweeley

It seems to me like homelessness is a very complicated issue and honestly I have no idea who is supposed to fix it and how. You'd think Disney would have a vested interest in clearing these people out but wouldn't be stupid enough to think the bus seats would be enough to clear them away from the money funnel that is Disneyland. I don't seem them really having as much involvement as people might take from the title of the article.

Another money funnel for Anaheim is their convention center, hosts a lot of fandom events and fandom events are reported to be known for their strong economic impact for their host cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Convention_Center

Anaheim Convention Center is a major convention center in Anaheim, California. It is located across from the Disneyland Resort on Katella Avenue. The original components, designed by Adrian Wilson & Associates, opened in July 1967—including a basketball arena followed shortly by the convention hall. It holds many events, like VidCon, BlizzCon, Anime Expo, WonderCon, etc.

Disney's inaugural D23 Expo, a biennial convention for Disney fans, was held at the Anaheim Convention Center in 2009. The convention center has hosted all subsequent D23 Expos.

So where is all the money coming from events such as D23 Expo, VidCon, BlizzCon, Anime Expo, WonderCon is going towards? That should be enough to try to assist with the homeless.

Gallbaro

Banned
Another money funnel for Anaheim is their convention center, hosts a lot of fandom events and fandom events are reported to be known for their strong economic impact for their host cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaheim_Convention_Center

So where is all the money coming from events such as D23 Expo, VidCon, BlizzCon, Anime Expo, WonderCon is going towards? That should be enough to try to assist with the homeless.

You can have all the money in the world, but if the law prevents you from building housing, you cannot build housing.

Although I am sure the locals would love the "fund housing in someone else's backyard option." They can keep their liberal cards while not actually dealing with it.

Ashhong

Homelessness is largely concentrated in major cities in the US. Its not a very big problem in other areas because of cheap land prices.

But why do the homeless stay in these largely concentrated major cities? If it's because of land prices, can't they go somewhere where it's cheaper?

Zoe

But why do the homeless stay in these largely concentrated major cities? If it's because of land prices, can't they go somewhere where it's cheaper?
Because of the services available, and in the case of the coast, the climate.

As someone who lives in a nearby city and someone who drives past Anaheim, and to Disneyland often.. the homeless need to go. There are some serious encampments and the city needs to come up with a real plan to build shelters and get them off the street or located elsewhere. The area has gone from a nice area to just a slum in certain parts due to homelessness and littering. Matter of fact, Anaheim has done a poor job of dealing with this for a few years now. There is a major homeless encampment off the 57 FWY by Angel stadium now too.

That might be changing too.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/1...nter-to-move-from-flood-control-channel-area/

Disney Land charges about $175 a day for a park hopper pass. They intentionally set the prices high to discourage lower class elements from entering their park and maybe upsetting the flow. They used to have local California deal for the less fortunate kids, but those are all shitty three day long passes now as well. It's a middle to upper middle plus experience now unfortunate.

I'm not shocked nor am I that upset by this bench thing either. We need to do a better job of dealing with the homeless population and we need to to it humanely. That being said, it doesn't need to be a free for all. Anaheim is basically funded by Disneyland. A quick look at the City of Anaheim's city page and you can see that a majority of their tax revenue comes from hotel taxes. The City should be able to make sure their businesses that surround the area are clean and perceptibly safe.

That being said ... removing benches and not adding more benches in other locations isn't cool.

I'm trying to figure out where this is Disney's fault and not Anaheim's Government. Did Disney actually cause the homeless problem? Homeless need shelters to go to and treatment for the issues that caused them to become homeless in the first place, not benches.

Easier to go after the easy target, I guess.

Yeah, the article even specifically says that this action was not requested by Disney.

Kill3r7

It is the only place they know. Also, big cities are better equipped to deal with this issue.

I work at the courthouse right next to that plaza. It's a terrible situation... hypodermic needles can be found all around the outside of the courthouse, and they have to power wash the concrete weekly because there's urine and feces everywhere.

It's only going to get worse, too. Rent prices in OC are out of control.

My friend Dan worked at the courthouse there a few years ago.

I don't think the people affected by rising rents are the same as the ones leaving behind needles and defacating on the sidewalk.

Indeed, it's so bizarre that housing affordability somehow becomes the primary reason for homelessness over addictions and poor spending habits.

In my city we have plenty of homeless shelters but they aren't as full as you'd expect compared to the amount of homeless because they aren't anywhere near tourist attractions or near wealthier areas.

Gallbaro

Banned
Indeed, it's so bizarre that housing affordability somehow becomes the primary reason for homelessness over addictions and poor spending habits.

In my city we have plenty of homeless shelters but they aren't as full as you'd expect compared to the amount of homeless because they aren't anywhere near tourist attractions or near wealthier areas.

You are listing bullshit people tell themselves so they can maintain a dissociation with the "others."

https://www.nlchp.org/documents/Homeless_Stats_Fact_Sheet

Insufficient income and lack of affordable housing are the leading causes of homelessness.

Top Bottom