• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who should AI kill in a driverless car crash? It depends who you ask

patrickb

And why would it matter if the person is unemployed, overweight, or elderly?

It won't. Those putting logic together are better than this I am sure. If choosing one over the other sounds bias to some, well humans have been around long enough to blame themselves for it and not some tech that's reforming the industries.

Blam

The car should break itself? I mean most of this tech is in the center console right? Just ram itself into a part of the car that can be repaired if it has to?

guggnichso

Banned
I guess that might be more of a question quite far into the future, as what I know from AI, they still have problems to discern a person from a chair.

So choosing between a grown up and a child, or a male and a female is quite far off, isn’t it?

Still, interesting moral question, that will likely viewed different by different cultures.

Sannakji

Banned
and unemployed like an old man in a farmers market.

...you're gonna have to explain this one to me.

Could terrorists program an AI truck to calculate the most efficient way to drive over as many people as possible?

I hear the alt-right are creating Computer Science scholarships for nice straight white boys for just this purpose. The last time one of their domestic terrori... I mean lone wolves did it, he only killed one.

Last edited:

L0wMax

It should kill whomever defaulted on their car loans.

The car should hit the brakes NOT swerve into anything.
So if it's going down the road at 60mph with cars behind you and a bunch of kids run out onto the road, it should slam on the brakes and kill everyone.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
The car should hit the brakes NOT swerve into anything.

I actually agree with this and Australian regulations I believe would say the same thing... that said I would have had a horrible car accident had the human driver not swerved out of my way as I mistakenly drove on the wrong side of the road.

I hope that AI divers have the "awareness" to do the same.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.

So if it's going down the road at 60mph with cars behind you and a bunch of kids run out onto the road, it should slam on the brakes and kill everyone.

From my understanding, and I think you should do your own googling, it is understood that swerving is considered more dangerous than just braking.

edit: also, if a car crashes into your back then they are automatically at fault (at least in Australia). You need to leave enough space between you and the car in front for safe braking should they stop quickly.

Last edited:

Why are you going 60 mph in a residential area? Why are kids running onto the freeway?

Last edited:

Phoenix

The vehicle can only ever really try to protect its occupants. Everything else becomes a bit non-deterministic if you're trying to count costs and determine what might happen in the million iffs of trying to save the other people who may, in fact, do very unpredictable things when trying to save themselves.

camelCase

The highest ranking employee should be held responsible for any criminal infraction and prosecuted for it... unless they pay a handsome bribe to the city to transfer said burden to a working class employee. Or justice, as they call it where I'm from.

patrickb

NO. You don't roll out driverless cars or any car for that matter if the infrastructure is so poor that a bunch of kids run out onto the road. Just keep walking, that's what you deserve.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The AI's first concern should always be the safety of the people in its vehicle. Hopefully it'll be able to communicate with other vehicle AIs to avoid head-on collisions by both vehicles swerving left or both swerving right. I would never own a driverless vehicle that didn't put me and my family's safety first.

Last edited:

Traianvs

Do whatever it takes but save cat, dogs and any animal crossing the street. Then maybe kids...
But I'm a vegan and a sociopath so.... :messenger_beermugs:

Top Bottom