• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who ultimately made more contributions to the console hardware market?

Who made the more meaningful contributions?

• Sega

Votes: 140 69.3%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 62 30.7%

• Total voters

cireza

SEGA were basically showing the way forward to the entire industry in the 80s and 90s with their arcade hardware.

Sega had a ton of forward thinking projects that were simply released too soon.

A great example: The concept of Gamepass before Gamepass was even an idea in someone’s head.

It was called Sega channel.
EE581D74799DB18FCF6889FB64DB7FFF20A27CE7

I think many people here are downplaying Sega’s fearlessness to try new things out long before the market was ready to do so.

StueyDuck

Depends what you define as a contribution...

Sega had plenty of forward thinking ideas and innovations for their consoles. They were terribly managed.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Microsoft also proved that first person shooters could thrive in the console space

I'd give that to Sony with the first Dualshock controller. That controller combined with FPS game Alien Resurrection defined how FPS games are played on consoles and a system we still use to this day.

Fatmanp

From a pure eco system perspective MS has contributed more to console gaming than any platform holder

-Achievements
- HDD
- Xbox Live
- online Store
- Video Streaming Services
- Integrated Social Media
- Enhanced BC
- Consile OS overlay

I’m sure there are more

SenkiDala

SEGA ! No question. How can some people say Xbox ?

- Online gaming (mostly with Dreamcast)
- Motion gaming (sega activator)
- 3D fighting games with Virtua Fighter
- Open Worlds (Shenmue)
- Saving inside the console without memory card (the battery in the Saturn)

Xbox brought :

- HDD in a console (which was used mostly to save our games in the console without a memory card so it's not much different in that sense than saving to a battery).
- Achievements (still dunno if it's a good thing after all).

That's about it.

EDIT : oh watching other posts like the one above me makes me understand, it's just a lack of gaming knowledge.

Last edited:
I'd give that to Sony with the first Dualshock controller. That controller combined with FPS game Alien Resurrection defined how FPS games are played on consoles and a system we still use to this day.
Nah he’s right, it’s good to give credit where credit is due. People laughed and scoffed at shooters on console until Halo came out. Goldeneye made waves, but Halo set a standard.

Shooters pre-Halo couldn’t quite figure out the right controls. Bungie made it all crystal clear.

IDKFA

Nah he’s right, it’s good to give credit where credit is due. People laughed and scoffed at shooters on console until Halo came out. Goldeneye made waves, but Halo set a standard.

Shooters pre-Halo couldn’t quite figure out the right controls. Bungie made it all crystal clear.

I have to disagree. Look at Alien Resurrection on the PS1. Before that game developers couldn't figure out the right controls for a FPS on a console. That game nailed it. So much so that it set the standard controls that we still use today.

That's partly thanks to Sony coming up with the Dualshock.

I have to disagree. Look at Alien Resurrection on the PS1. Before that game developers couldn't figure out the right controls for a FPS on a console. That game nailed it. So much so that it set the standard controls that we still use today.

That's partly thanks to Sony coming up with the Dualshock.
I’m sorry man, if you ask any gamer who was alive when both AR and Halo came out during their respective years, 9 times out of 10 Halo is going to be given that crown.

You’re only focusing on who did it first and not who did it right. The game feel in Halo was on another level compared to any shooter before it(and after it for a few years). This includes how the deadzones and sensitivity were handled, down to the circle reticles which made slight room for error and the slight usage of soft-lock aiming help when aiming close enough to a part of an enemy for it to count as a registered hit. Even the way the enemy hitboxes were treated was extremely cleverly done.

I suggest looking at a behind the scenes on Halo when possible. It’s almost like they came from the future with everything they considered for a console shooter.

When I say Halo set a standard for console shooters, I truly mean that it set a standard on all fronts.

You can give playstation credit for everything else, even introducing the popularization of the right stick, but Halo takes this specific case by a mile.

IDKFA

I’m sorry man, if you ask any gamer who was alive when both AR and Halo came out during their respective years, 9 times out of 10 Halo is going to be given that crown.

You’re only focusing on who did it first and not who did it right. The game feel in Halo was on another level compared to any shooter before it(and after it for a few years). This includes how the deadzones and sensitivity were handled, down to the circle reticles which made slight room for error and the slight usage of soft-lock aiming help when aiming close enough to a part of an enemy for it to count as a registered hit. Even the way the enemy hitboxes were treated was extremely cleverly done.

I suggest looking at a behind the scenes on Halo when possible. It’s almost like they came from the future with everything they considered for a console shooter.

When I say Halo set a standard for console shooters, I truly mean that it set a standard on all fronts.

You can give playstation credit for everything else, even introducing the popularization of the right stick, but Halo takes this specific case by a mile.
I have to respectively disagree. I'm 38 and was alive at the time. I remember it well.

I'm not looking at who came first, but who set the standard with FPS controls on a console, and that was Sony with the DS controller combined with AR on the PS1.

That's the only argument I'm making and it's the one that made the most impact to how we play FPS titles on consoles.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Xbox. I remember talking to online people on the other side of the world through Live, which culminated in the 360's Gears of War matches where you just chat with each other about shit nobody cared about, and had fun. Not an experience I would wanted to have missed. I have no such feelings towards Sega.

Del_X

Sega was first to do online with broadband.
Microsoft was first to include an HDD, get matchmaking right, get dual analog sticks working properly in multiple first party titles...

I was a mostly-Sega kid growing up and had an OG Xbox. The Dreamcast and Xbox were both very impressive hardware at release. I give MSFT the edge but only a little. The Xbox really felt like a successor to the dreamcast, especially with the kinds of titles Sega made for it.

BlackTron

Net neutral. They’ve both had a pretty equal share of success and failure.

Disagree. Sega's failures hurt Sega. Microsoft entering the business will have negative consequences for the whole industry that can never be undone even if they disappear tomorrow.

Laptop1991

This will be a generational thing, i remember Sega, Atari and Nintendo, when i started gaming first Amiga then PC, Microsoft wern't in the console market, they did the OS i used so it's Sega for me, but younger gamers will probably choose MS.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Xbox for sure. It standardized good fps console controls, wireless controllers, reliable online infrastructure, an online marketplace, and having a built-in harddrive for saving data.

Sega’s consoles have better game libraries but I wouldn’t say any of them were particularly influential? The Dreamcast’s online functionality was more of a novelty than a core feature. Phantasy Star Online was a bigger deal on Gamecube than DC, for example.

Majukun

depends if you like the state the industry is now compared to the old 2d times...microsoft contrinuted to the rise of online gaming and everything, good and bad, that came from that.
Sega comparatively did less, but acted as a great foil to old Nintendo in many ways pre-95.

dem

Giving Sega credit for online gaming is stupid.
Dreamcast had a modem, yes. So did Nintendo or Sega Genesis if you had an Xband.
A modem is just a modem.

But Xbox Live was.... a whole thing.
A whole console online community... thing. It was a different. It felt different.

Last edited:
Microsoft brought us true online, hdd, achievements, controller refinement to almost perfection the xbox 360 controller was prob the most used controller ever.

Um I guess sega introduced us to cdrom and console addons.
The 360 controller is probably the best controller ever made period. I still use them on PC or PS3 via USB dongle. No other controller has ever felt as comfortable as that one does.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's obviously Sega, largely because of the time period in which their consoles launched. At the same time, I don't think it's fair to discount the innovations Microsoft introduced, particularly as it applies to mainstream online gaming on consoles. And, as much as I don't care about it, some of the system level features like achievements. I think people tend to downplay those things because Microsoft's been swinging and missing on their harebrained ideas for more than 15 years now. I'm pointing to avatars as the beginning of the downfall.

From a pure eco system perspective MS has contributed more to console gaming than any platform holder

-Achievements
- HDD
- Xbox Live
- online Store
- Video Streaming Services
- Integrated Social Media
- Enhanced BC
- Consile OS overlay

I’m sure there are more
Enhanced BC is something people gloss over because they haven't used it.

Putting in an old Xbox or 360 game and it running at 4K60fps with zero effort by me is amazing. Nintendo and Sony do this and charge you $60 for it. Nintendo even sets a time limit on some of those purchases!

Sega may had pioneered online console gaming (33.6 kbit/s outside of the US and Japan!), but Microsoft brought it home on the 360 with an actual ecosystem that still existed even when you weren't playing games. Sony took years to actually compete with Xbox LIVE and Nintendo are still using a what amounts to a string and can for their online services.

Sega.

The Sega CD pushed Nintendo to start developing the SNES CD which was the genesis of PlayStation.

Xbox was just one xenophobe's reactionary move to fight back against what he thought was a threat to his business.

simpatico

Microsoft set the standard for console online multiplayer. When I got out of my PS3 and Xbox 360, Sony wasn't even close to feature parity.

Top Bottom