• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are black people so universally hated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Native americans are the true 'americans' by racial geographical diferentiation. British colonialists (after the spanish and french I think) would be historically the 'americans' per land estabilishment.
Ethnically, everyone that is born and can be identified by cultural traits of the country, is american.
EDIT: I think.

Yep. This is why terms like "African American" or "Asian American" have always bothered me in practice, because nobody ever says "European American." They have an important academic function (for conversations such as the one we are having right now), but they have always seemed out of place in the general cultural lexicon, at least in modern times. The only distinction that feels right to me is "Native American."

Feels like that might be a different thread, I guess.

Smellycat

I think Black people have the richest history of any other race, they had the best scholars, professors, astronomers.....

fast forward a few thousand years and they're slinging crack on the street.

Where did they go wrong?

haha, wtf

Onemic

I find myself more afraid of black people than white people. But only black people and others who behave a certain way. It's a cultural thing. We're told that black people are the face of crime, black people are dangerous, etc. And to make it worse, a lot of rapper tend to find it hilarious to promote that image of the "tough black guy" and people without any stability to begin with, gyrate to that.

There is nothing inherently bad about black people, but people have been made ot think that way. There is nothing inherently bad about the way a lot of black youth dress, talk or act; but people have been made to think that way. It is just a different kind of attack on black people.

And quite frnakly, a lot of black people are promoting that image as their own. When I'm walking at night, I'm wary of everyone! No lie. But during the day in an isolated area, I'll be more suspicious of someone if I see them wearing "gangsta" clothing. I'm sorry but it's the truth. The people I see wearing that type of dress style are A) Usually not very educated, B) Way too brazen C) Want to act tough. So I tend to cross the street or just ignore them. Here in Canada though, a lot of Asians and Native Americans/Indians dress like that, not just black people. So they all get the "Averting path" from me.

I find the way someone carries themselves to be the discerning factor for me. The way a lot of black people carry themselves in NA is typically very sloppy. I walk with a swag, a lot of my black friends walk with a swag. But we don't overdo it and dress like we just rolled out of bed. Note that this doesn't mean a suit and tie or form fitting clothing. Simply walking with some sense of urgency, not lazily waddling from side to side makes a BIG difference. It's about confidence and the way one promotes themself. And sadly enough, the way we promote ourselves is largely by the very famous people. Because they are the only black people they see or know. White people, Asian people; have it much easier because the vast majority of their famous people are scientists or from famous backgrounds.

So yeah, people love rap music, "black culture" whatever the F that means. But they don't like black people. I might love some heavy rap music, but I don't want to be around an actual gangster. This is sadly what a lot of black youth are failing to see. So when they say "Man! I wish I was black!" They're missing the point that being a black person, you have so much more to prove to begin with.

//Lastly. One last thing I want to touch on is the colour discussion. It is no falsehood that in European cultures, black was traditionally seen as the colour of death, evil, destruction. While in Africa and Japan as far as I know, White is seen as the colour of death. And then you have European civilizations taking power...So it is no coincidence that...we, "black people" got that label stuck to them. Because we were demonic and different. I know very few actual "black" people. And even then I wouldn't say they're outright pitch black. SO you see this terminology being thrown around all the time as a "Black and White" issue. That alone creates such a massive mental gap that one can't help but acknowledge the differences. The majority of "black people" in America are more cocoa and light brown than anything! Yet they are still labeled as being "black" or "African American" and not "American". So a question:

If there are African Americans, Asian American, American Indians. Who are the true Americans? When will those groups become actual Americans? Because it seems that only white people are true Americans. Not, White Americans.
Who are the true Americans?

Honestly, I understand some of what you're saying, but man have you driven so far into the paint that you've straight up fallen out of bounds and into the bleachers.

I know who the true Americans are.

My point is, in America. You guys always refer to everyone BUT white people as " X American". When it is Native Americans who are the actual Americans. But white people somehow are the "true" Americans. It's disgusting.

Honesty time!

You see a black man walking towards you in Jeans and a Tee. How do you react?

You see a black man walking towards you with overly bagging clothing, a loose fitting hat, lame $2 Jewels. How do you react?

Which of those two people are you going to be more wary of? This really has little to do with colour and much more to do with the way on carries them-self. It isn't even a "Black" people thing. Everyone knows the importance of dressing well, speaking politely and hell; even shaking hands firmly. And no, doing that does not make you a "White person". It makes you an approachable person. Sometimes you have to give a little in order to be accepted. Someone wearing a mask all the time for example, would not be liked by anyone! Dressing and moving with power portrays confidence and assuredness. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that the way a lot of people who idolize rap moguls dress portrays any of that? I see Jazy-Z when he's making deals, going out or business meetings, dressed sharply with a suit or high end clothing and speaking strongly. Yet when he's at a concert or whatever, he's sagging unbelievably.

It annoys me that people like him USE their "own people" to rise.

Quite possibly the biggest crock of shit I've read in a while.

Quite possibly the biggest crock of shit I've read in a while.

Yeah. Totally man. Let's not pretend that their is a very distinct gap here between black people who "make it" and how they view other black people. Those who "don't". And please, don't even pretend for a second that regardless of colour; the way people carry themselves is very important.

Edit: And for the sake of clarification: I am not saying that black people deserve to be treated badly, should change their dress, or act in a specific manner. But what I am saying is that rap and thug culture is very popular and it IS what a lot of black people around the world and in America specifically emulate. Yes, white people emulate it too, Asians do too. But the point is that whites and Asian do NOT make up the majority of rappers/hip-hop. So because out of ignorance, many people expect or believe that is how ALL black people behave and that the lyrics and imagery are truth. Now with no other real role-models, many black youth emulate that imagery without realizing that although people many find it cool and dangerously exciting. It IS NOT TRUTH and it does not mean that people will actually accept them! That is all I am saying. Black people do not deserve any worse for talking, acting, dressing however they want. But the truth is that they are treated worse because of that and many other factors. It is called a stereotype for a reason.

Notice how although rock and roll, punk and so forth are just as edgy and if not worse. They are "fine" for most parents to let their children listen too and many people are perfectly fine with it, but hate on rap/hip-hop. The imagery and "culture" of black America is one steeped in a very racist past and present, coupled with a major media presence. So you see how those two can go together hand in hand and paint a terrible image of black America? That is all I am arguing. It is one thing that black Americans have done very well, among others; and yet at the same time. It is a big problem. No, rap is not the specific problem plaguing those people. It is only a part of a much bigger picture. Rap/hip-hop is just music. But one that is very popular and ironically enough; that popularity is the only image of blaks that people see as truth.

So when you do see someone walking down the street dressed like that. It does evoke a certain feeling and response. This is a simple fact. Are you saying that isn't true? Do you not feel uneasy when you see a bunch of men in black suits walking behind you in big strides? What about late at night when someone approaches you, regardless of colour? What about when a car is following you? What about when you're alone in a new environment? What about if all your experiences of black people is from the biggest thing they are most represented in? Music? Sports? Your experiences(Or lack thereof), education, make you who you are. And I will be much less trustful of someone walking towards me dressed like that than someone walking towards me wearing a freaking diaper.

Black people have been set up as the universal other for many regions.

It's from Second Sex but it has value in this thread as well:

(negro is in use because it's old)

The category of the Other is as primordial as consciousness itself. In the most primitive societies, in the most ancient mythologies, one finds the expression of a duality – that of the Self and the Other. This duality was not originally attached to the division of the sexes; it was not dependent upon any empirical facts. It is revealed in such works as that of Granet on Chinese thought and those of Dumézil on the East Indies and Rome. The feminine element was at first no more involved in such pairs as Varuna-Mitra, Uranus-Zeus, Sun-Moon, and Day-Night than it was in the contrasts between Good and Evil, lucky and unlucky auspices, right and left, God and Lucifer. Otherness is a fundamental category of human thought.

Thus it is that no group ever sets itself up as the One without at once setting up the Other over against itself. If three travellers chance to occupy the same compartment, that is enough to make vaguely hostile ‘others’ out of all the rest of the passengers on the train. In small-town eyes all persons not belonging to the village are ‘strangers’ and suspect; to the native of a country all who inhabit other countries are ‘foreigners’; Jews are ‘different’ for the anti-Semite, Negroes are ‘inferior’ for American racists, aborigines are ‘natives’ for colonists, proletarians are the ‘lower class’ for the privileged.

Lévi-Strauss, at the end of a profound work on the various forms of primitive societies, reaches the following conclusion: ‘Passage from the state of Nature to the state of Culture is marked by man’s ability to view biological relations as a series of contrasts; duality, alternation, opposition, and symmetry, whether under definite or vague forms, constitute not so much phenomena to be explained as fundamental and immediately given data of social reality.’ These phenomena would be incomprehensible if in fact human society were simply a Mitsein or fellowship based on solidarity and friendliness. Things become clear, on the contrary, if, following Hegel, we find in consciousness itself a fundamental hostility towards every other consciousness; the subject can be posed only in being opposed – he sets himself up as the essential, as opposed to the other, the inessential, the object.

But the other consciousness, the other ego, sets up a reciprocal claim. The native travelling abroad is shocked to find himself in turn regarded as a ‘stranger’ by the natives of neighbouring countries. As a matter of fact, wars, festivals, trading, treaties, and contests among tribes, nations, and classes tend to deprive the concept Other of its absolute sense and to make manifest its relativity; willy-nilly, individuals and groups are forced to realize the reciprocity of their relations. How is it, then, that this reciprocity has not been recognised between the sexes, that one of the contrasting terms is set up as the sole essential, denying any relativity in regard to its correlative and defining the latter as pure otherness? Why is it that women do not dispute male sovereignty? No subject will readily volunteer to become the object, the inessential; it is not the Other who, in defining himself as the Other, establishes the One. The Other is posed as such by the One in defining himself as the One. But if the Other is not to regain the status of being the One, he must be submissive enough to accept this alien point of view. Whence comes this submission in the case of woman?

There are, to be sure, other cases in which a certain category has been able to dominate another completely for a time. Very often this privilege depends upon inequality of numbers – the majority imposes its rule upon the minority or persecutes it. But women are not a minority, like the American Negroes or the Jews; there are as many women as men on earth. Again, the two groups concerned have often been originally independent; they may have been formerly unaware of each other’s existence, or perhaps they recognised each other’s autonomy. But a historical event has resulted in the subjugation of the weaker by the stronger. The scattering of the Jews, the introduction of slavery into America, the conquests of imperialism are examples in point. In these cases the oppressed retained at least the memory of former days; they possessed in common a past, a tradition, sometimes a religion or a culture.

It could also have something to do with stereotypes based on presumed country of origin.

A white dude shows up in South Korea, and he's probably assumed to be a well-to-do tourist from Europe or America. The same probably isn't true for a black person.

waxer

What are the statistics like in the united states for crime? As a minority culture Maori people account for about half all prison inmates and only about 11% of the countries population.

Ovid

As a black guy, I'll say it like this. If you pay attention and absorb the ignorance, you can't get rid of it. But if you don't pay attention to it, then it doesn't exist.

My first best friend I had was white when I was about 5 years old. We were best buds, and many of my teachers were white. Nobody really cared. I didn't know about racism and such until I learned about it years later in middle and high school. I think if the school systems didn't put so much emphasis on the past history, slavery and such, although it's educational, it fuels people's backburners for hatred.
Interesting.

Yep. This is why terms like "African American" or "Asian American" have always bothered me in practice, because nobody ever says "European American." They have an important academic function (for conversations such as the one we are having right now), but they have always seemed out of place in the general cultural lexicon, at least in modern times. The only distinction that feels right to me is "Native American."

People say Irish-American and Italian-American all of the time. Not as frequently as african-american though.

bengraven

Black people hate me.

Edit: I actually do have a few black friends, but for some reason I do sense hostility occasionally.

What are the statistics like in the united states for crime? As a minority culture Maori people account for about half all prison inmates and only about 11% of the countries population.

THis is always such a sly argument.(Not direct at you personally). But many black people are in prison for drug related crimes, theft, burglary, robbery, etc. Yes, many, many. But Caucasians are in jail more for violent crime. Yet it`s black people that are seen as the most dangeorus ones. I bet you that if recreational drugs were legalized, the stats would plummet overnight. This so called `drug war`has been brutal on black family`s. Here in Canada, it`s the same thing with Indians/Native Americans. They are constantly being put through the wringer. So it makes sense that people worse off would turn to crime. I think we had a thread on here a while back regarding that issue and how often black people are harassed about that kind of stuff. Even if they are innocent. So yeah, more black people are in jail, but there is a...well, `system` that makes that happen.

Slayven

Hard to tell you would be in "other" on most reports.

Hard to tell you would be in "other" on most reports.

The 2010 FBI sheet is very telling of this "black people are evil" crap being blown out of proportion. That is the problem with hate, it's blind.

But it always goes back to "But it's disproportionate for black people..." Well yes. Maybe because more black people are in poverty than Caucasian? If you want to say things are disproportionate. Realize that there must be a reason why! And not one that comes down to "They're black". By that logic, since there are more white people than black. If I avoid white people altogether, I have a lesser chance of getting into trouble. Even better if I just avoid all poor people! :D When things go wrong, we always look to blame someone, something else that is not so close to home.

Yeah. Totally man. Let's not pretend that their is a very distinct gap here between black people who "make it" and how they view other black people. Those who "don't". And please, don't even pretend for a second that regardless of colour; the way people carry themselves is very important.

Edit: And for the sake of clarification: I am not saying that black people deserve to be treated badly, should change their dress, or act in a specific manner. But what I am saying is that rap and thug culture is very popular and it IS what a lot of black people around the world and in America specifically emulate. Yes, white people emulate it too, Asians do too. But the point is that whites and Asian do NOT make up the majority of rappers/hip-hop. So because out of ignorance, many people expect or believe that is how ALL black people behave and that the lyrics and imagery are truth. Now with no other real role-models, many black youth emulate that imagery without realizing that although people many find it cool and dangerously exciting. It IS NOT TRUTH and it does not mean that people will actually accept them! That is all I am saying. Black people do not deserve any worse for talking, acting, dressing however they want. But the truth is that they are treated worse because of that and many other factors. It is called a stereotype for a reason.

Notice how although rock and roll, punk and so forth are just as edgy and if not worse. They are "fine" for most parents to let their children listen too and many people are perfectly fine with it, but hate on rap/hip-hop. The imagery and "culture" of black America is one steeped in a very racist past and present, coupled with a major media presence. So you see how those two can go together hand in hand and paint a terrible image of black America? That is all I am arguing. It is one thing that black Americans have done very well, among others; and yet at the same time. It is a big problem. No, rap is not the specific problem plaguing those people. It is only a part of a much bigger picture. Rap/hip-hop is just music. But one that is very popular and ironically enough; that popularity is the only image of blaks that people see as truth.

So when you do see someone walking down the street dressed like that. It does evoke a certain feeling and response. This is a simple fact. Are you saying that isn't true? Do you not feel uneasy when you see a bunch of men in black suits walking behind you in big strides? What about late at night when someone approaches you, regardless of colour? What about when a car is following you? What about when you're alone in a new environment? What about if all your experiences of black people is from the biggest thing they are most represented in? Music? Sports? Your experiences(Or lack thereof), education, make you who you are. And I will be much less trustful of someone walking towards me dressed like that than someone walking towards me wearing a freaking diaper.
Tell the truth; the real reason for the fear of anything Black, is the guilt of your ancestors and what they did to us, no matter what the generation. The fear of retribution, the notion that all Black people hate White people, and given the chance, they will act upon that hatred towards any random White person they see. That's why you fear Black people approaching you in so called "gangsta dress", but don't fear White kids dressed in a similar fashion. This mindset is passed on consciously and subconsciously for generations.

Mr. Patch

Weren't black people considered docile and child-like during slavery? Then all of a sudden, the stereotype switched after slavery was abolished?

Kinda shows the mental gymnastics involved in racism.

I know who the true Americans are.

My point is, in America. You guys always refer to everyone BUT white people as " X American". When it is Native Americans who are the actual Americans. But white people somehow are the "true" Americans. It's disgusting.

Well, before being "discovered" by europeans, there was no estabilishment of the Americas (continents). And these continents only became densely populated after colonization. I'm no biologist (or anthropologist too) so I don't know if those 500 years or so of "past colony" period are enough to produce a whole specific genetic diferentiation, or if they go by region alone to classify but I'd guess this is the reason it is used "afro-americans" "indo-americans": 'racial clusters' that isolated themselves from their origin region.
And the confusion (I believe) stems from the country name. The United States of America (the continent duh!), left them with the smart choice to denominate its inhabitants: "americans" since Unitedstatians would sound weird :p. And those 'americans' by geopolitical division would happen to be the (white) descendants of the british colones with some minor mixtures. I don't believe slaves or other immigrants were considered.

So when someone thinks about "who is the true american", they may think "white people!" out of confusion or ignorance. And you know how bad geography and history classes are in the US. And when it meets with even more ignorance on racial aspects, it isn't surprising if someone 'rationalizes': First americans were white -> Non-white americans are immigrant descendants -> White americans are more americans!

Then it can be 'disgusting', but I think it is pretty fair to assume that a great share of the general populace of the world does not know the differences between races, ethnies and plain citizenship.

I dont support any black person going out of their way to avoid agitating racists and bigots. Respect the law, be polite (unless someone disrespects you first, then all bets are off) and be contributing member of society. I havnt worn oversized clothing in years, I get myself correct every time I go out and I still get a shitty size up every so often. Haters gunna hate. This argument is dangerously close to the Geraldo Rivero school of thought, of not wearing certain types of clothing to avoid being stereotyped. Look, I'd advise against ANYONE walking around with oversized tees and saggy pants, because that IS what dealers wear, but anything else should be fair game. You should be able to wear what you please (within reason) without being perceived as a criminal

And man, the number of brothers I see looking or dressing like bums is few and far between. Maybe some of dress LOUD, but that's not the same as dressing like a gattdamn bum with shoes falling apart, ripped up, dirty clothing, unkempt appearance.

waxer

THis is always such a sly argument.(Not direct at you personally). But many black people are in prison for drug related crimes, theft, burglary, robbery, etc. Yes, many, many.

I can get that. Are small crimes cultural based as well? Here things like drunk driving, drugs etc in my experience are more openly laughed off instead of taking it seriously.

I grew up in a primarily Maori area but am of European decent. A lot of what separation there is here is helped by government which I find frustrating as I view all people that live in New Zealand as New Zealanders. We are all human and deserve equal rights. Im not used to racism. It kind of blows my mind hearing stories about it because its just not that big a problem here on a large scale.

The worst I have ever had is dirty looks from the older generation when walking around with my Japanese girlfriend. But that is far and few between and not something anyone would act on any further than the look.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Why do people hate Black People and it's accompanying sub-topic, why do people hate Jewish people?

It mostly has to do with how people perceive intelligence.

People don't hate Black people, people think Black people are stupid. The hatred [today] comes from the socially liberal expectation that Black people be treated like anyone else despite the perception that they aren't as smart as everyone else - Social Darwinism is the scientific basis of this perception but there are other social cues that inform this perception. This perception manifests itself in many different ways but it is at the core of almost any racial discussion, and especially those involving Black people. Affirmative Action is the textbook example of this phenomenon in modern American politics, but it manifests itself in other ways too like in the discussion of why despite Black people's athletic accomplishments, there are relatively few successful Black coaches (it's a massive can of worms and this is just one example). I can go on and on with examples, but it labors the point. People just don't think black people are that smart.

Ironically, despite President Obama being generally perceived as an intelligent Black person, the fact that he is as much White as he is Black, doesn't help lessen the perception that real Black people are stupid and therefore inferior to mixed race Black people.

Ultimately, the question you should really be asking is why do people think Black people are stupid?

It doesn't matter what the actual facts are because the perception is more powerful than any objective evidence that might neutralize the question. If you understand how confirmation bias works (where people favor information that reinforces their beliefs), then you should understand why the social perception of Black people matters more than anything else.

Personally I believe, that the best way to lessen the power of racism in society is the development of sub-Saharan Africa. You can't really begin to challenge the negative perception that people have of Black people until poverty and all it's symptoms are eradicated from what people have come to recognize as Black countries. I don't even want to talk about South Africa because that is another massive can of endless worms.

Maybe some people just plain don't like the color of Black people's skin and perhaps a bit of ignorance is at play with people who simply haven't met many black people in real life but I believe the social perception of Black people ultimately has a much stronger influence on most people's opinion's of Black people.

Now when it comes to the related question of why people hate Jewish people and the reason I included it, the answer is almost the exact opposite. People hate Jewish people because despite their relatively small numbers in overall population they control a disproportionate amount of wealth in virtually any society they happen to be a part of. I'm sure you've heard Arabs lament and feel shame about the fact that 6 million Jews are able to dominate almost a 1 billion Muslims - it's not like Arabs/Muslims themselves are poor given that their countries control most of the world's oils supply. Thus, because of their relative strength despite their numbers, people perceive Jewish people to be smarter than other people - doesn't help any that Jewish people are overrepresented on the list of Nobel Prize winners either.

The perception of relative intelligence between different ethnicities is the foundation of racism.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Uh, Crush, I think you're showing more of your own insecurities or fears of black people than anyone on this thread.

As a black male, I've experienced both sides of the situation.

I'm light skinned, which some may view as being "safe" black. And yet that hasn't stopped me from being racially profiled and discriminated by those that simply don't care much for any people of color.

Also, you're supposed scenario of how people react when they see a black man dressed "plainly," and dressed, er "not so 'plainly'?"

Here's what I do in both scenarios:

Make eye contact, smile, say "Hello," or "What's up?" or "Hey."

Do you know what they do?

Smile back, say "Hello," "What's up," or "Hey." And then I go on my way.

I mean, WHAT is there to be afraid of? What do you think is going to happen? Why do you think it is going to happen, and why do you feel that each black person you meet is going to somehow harass or harm you? Based on how they dress? How they walk? Talk?

Do you ever think that perhaps approaching someone with that type of suspicion, fear, and apprehension will not inform how people will react to YOU?

Do you think it feels good, and makes black men feel great to have people make assumptions about them just by the way they dress?

Wouldn't that make YOU angry? Maybe just a little insecure and uncomfortable? As a black man, you should totally understand how other people's constant, and almost unceasing negative perceptions of us have caused us to be just a little bit annoyed (with many more than just a bit annoyed, probably in direct proportion to the level of discrimination they receive on a regular basis)?

I try, my very hardest, to not "scare" people. I'm not even an imposing black guy. I'm 5'3". And yet people have still been incredibly suspicious of me.

You know what I see when I see a black man, or a group of black men walking down the street? I see a black man, or a group of black men. I don't make any assumptions about people I don't know.

That's kind of part of the problem:

Blacks are perceived as being violent thugs and gangsters. Many people take that perception with them when they encounter a black person, either for the first time, or when that black person is a stranger.

As a result, it's kind of understandable to me why blacks would be annoyed and suspicious of people that they can see visibly bristle at their presence.

I can say from personal experience that, well, it kind of hurts my feelings. We can't all be strong like Sam Jackson...

Onemic

Why do people hate Black People and it's accompanying sub-topic, why do people hate Jewish people?

People don't hate Black people, people think Black people are stupid. The hatred [today] comes from the socially liberal expectation that Black people be treated like anyone else despite the perception that they aren't as smart as everyone else - Social Darwinism is the scientific basis of this perception but there are other social cues that inform this perception. This perception manifests itself in many different ways but it is at the core of almost any racial discussion, and especially those involving Black people. Affirmative Action is the textbook example of this phenomenon in modern American politics, but it manifests itself in other ways too like in the discussion of why despite Black people's athletic accomplishments, there are relatively few successful Black coaches (it's a massive can of worms and this is just one example). I can go on and on with examples, but it labors the point. People just don't think black people are that smart.

Ironically, despite President Obama being generally perceived as an intelligent Black person, the fact that he is as much White as he is Black, doesn't help lessen the perception that real Black people are stupid and therefore inferior to mixed race Black people.

Ultimately, the question you should really be asking is why do people think Black people are stupid?

It doesn't matter what the actual facts are because the perception is more powerful than any objective evidence that might neutralize the question. If you understand how confirmation bias works (where people favor information that reinforces their beliefs), then you should understand why the social perception of Black people matters more than anything else.

Personally I believe, that the best way to lessen the power of racism in society is the development of sub-Saharan Africa. You can't really begin to challenge the negative perception that people have of Black people until poverty and all it's symptoms are eradicated from what people have come to recognize as Black countries. I don't even want to talk about South Africa because that is another massive can of endless worms.

Maybe some people just plain don't like the color of Black people's skin and perhaps a bit of ignorance is at play with people who simply haven't met many black people in real life but I believe the social perception of Black people ultimately has a much stronger influence on most people's opinion's of Black people.

Now when it comes to the related question of why people hate Jewish people and the reason I included it, the answer is almost the exact opposite. People hate Jewish people because despite their relatively small numbers in overall population they control a disproportionate amount of wealth in virtually any society they happen to be a part of. I'm sure you've heard Arabs lament and feel shame about the fact that 6 million Jews are able to dominate almost a 1 billion Muslims - it's not like Arabs/Muslims themselves are poor given that their countries control most of the world's oils supply. Thus, because of their relative strength despite their numbers, people perceive Jewish people to be smarter than other people - doesn't help any that Jewish people are overrepresented on the list of Nobel Prize winners either.

The perception of relative intelligence between different ethnicities is the foundation of racism.

Pretty much every african american is mixed.

Just got back from class and figboy said what I wanted to say much better than I could.

Honesty time!

You see a black man walking towards you in Jeans and a Tee. How do you react?

You see a black man walking towards you with overly bagging clothing, a loose fitting hat, lame $2 Jewels. How do you react?
I act the same to both.

I'm not wary of either. Because I'm a grown mothafuckin man. You know what I do to both? I make eye contact like a fucking man to both and give them the universal sign of mutual respect: the head nod. Shirt & tie, After 5, Jeans and tee, saggin' khaki's & wife beater, shorts and jordans. Head nod to all. Like a man.

If you find yourself feeling any kind of other way as a black man around other black men...well...I believe you said you're not from the US, right? So perhaps it's all still foreign to you.

Pretty much every african american is mixed.
This!

I'm starting to feel that Hulk welling up inside me. Time for me to take a break from reading this thread already.

2real4tv

Why does this read like a racist rant.

Zizbuka

Banned
In middle school, in the 70's (yeah I'm old), my first girlfriend was black. I couldn't believe the comments I got.

Around here, I think a lot of it is they have a very 'in your face' attitude. And that's what I see a lot on TV.

Aristion

Banned
Everyone wants to be black. There's nothing more punk rock on Earth than being black. We stroll in, all muscle and sinew and cocoa, fucking the game up like dirty edge connectors. We laugh loud and speak bold and emit "I-just-don't-give-a-fuck" with every movement. We have been scrutinized and analyzed in every conceivable way, and still we are mysterious and exotic right down to the kink of our hair to those - surprising, still numerous - people who haven't been in contact with us before. We've created the rhythm and the blues, the rock and the roll, the hip and the hop. We brought in the noise and the funk. We put the soul in food, and pretty much everything else too. We built your pyramids, and we leap over them with our seemingly impossible collective athleticism, borne of mountains, jungles and plains that many of us still live in all across the world. Everyone wants to be black.

No one wants to be black. There's nothing more terrifying than the knowledge that we exist in every way but individually to everyone - even other black people. We can never be judged by our own merits; we carry the weight of the race's progression with every step into the future like Atlas, and even he shrugged...but we can't, because it's considered weak and selling out if we do. Every bit of slang, every bit of clothing that sits the wrong way, every head nod and hand gesture can and will be taken in the wrong way, a universal "there-goes-the-neighborhood" by everyone that can do so, which basically consists of everyone that doesn't want the social association with black people. That group, naturally, consists of everyone that is able to pass as "non-black". We live in a world where we were kings until we were cattle, and then we were weapons, and then we were like aphids, sprouting up where we weren't wanted, corrupting non-black youth, and the reason for everything from crime to lowered test scores or property value. Nobody wants to be black.

My blackness offends infinitely.
I want to be black.

Also, I'm just not going to address the topic. I'm just going to sit back and watch. I wouldn't say we are universally reviled; it just seems that way sometimes.

"Everybody wanna be a nigga but nobody wanna be a nigga."- Paul Mooney

KillGore

I don't have a problem with the skin color, but I do have a problem with what's stereotypically known as the "Black attitude", you know, the "Yo man, I'm a badass gangsta who can fuck you up in 2 seconds with my crew". Unfortunately a lot of black people have this attitude. I am aware that not all are like this and I'm also aware that a lot of white people have this attitude as well, which I HATE too. I just really hate that certain attitude, doesn't matter what skin color you are.

Enzom21

I'm not sure this is true...I know lots of people who are first gen Americans and aren't mixed.

I think he meant all descendants of slaves are mixed.

I love threads like this... gives me a nice long list of people to avoid on GAF.

Like this genius...
I don't have a problem with the skin color, but I do have a problem with what's stereotypically known as the "Black attitude", you know, the "Yo man, I'm a badass gangsta who can fuck you up in 2 seconds with my crew". Unfortunately a lot of black people have this attitude. I am aware that not all are like this and I'm also aware that a lot of white people have this attitude as well, which I HATE too. I just really hate that certain attitude, doesn't matter what skin color you are.

ZoddGutts

This thread is very close to being a ban trap, but my opinion anyway:

In racist communities, this might be related to the primitive fear of unfamiliar characteristics in people. It might be just a primitive envy though, let's see:

-Black people is bigger
-Black people is stronger
-Black people is well adapted to either cold or hot environments
-Black people created the most important music genres in the last 100 years or so.

Edit: With this, I'm just talking about the possible perspective of an openly racist group. With the regular population, I don't see blacks being "universally hated"

I don't know, just my point of view.

Water (swimming) is their only kryptonite.

KillGore

Like this genius...

Thanks for the compliment, it's my opinion, if you like every type of attitude in the world then that's your decision. I simply don't like the gangster attitude, regardless of ethnicity. Why the hell should I be okay with it? I guess you would be okay with stuck up bitches who think the world revolves around them too?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

You'd be very, very surprised at how few black people are actually like what you just described.

In truth, and from my experiences, that "thug life" black persona is a very small group of a very large whole.

Unfortunately, the bulk of black exposure in the media is exactly what you describe. And of course, there are certainly many blacks that behave that way, but it is a truly small percentage, especially when you realize that there are millions of black people in the United States alone.

"Hip hop culture," and "gangsta culture" is not Black Culture. Please don't get it confused.

The problem is that it's not just that small percentage that are being painted with that brush. It's ALL of us, and no matter how many of us work our damnedest to show everybody that we aren't all like what we see on TV, all it seems to take is that loud, vocal, and "thug life" few to have us right back at square one.

Some people simply look for any reason to justify believing that all of us are exactly like how they see us on Law & Order, and 90% of mainstream television and film.

It's frustrating, and disheartening, but we don't stop trying to change that perspective. It's unfortunate that that perception of us has become so ingrained and associated with "black people," that non-blacks think people like me, and the other black people in threads like this are the exception to the rule, and that's so, so far from the truth.

KillGore

You'd be very, very surprised at how few black people are actually like what you just described.

In truth, and from my experiences, that "thug life" black persona is a very small group of a very large whole.

Unfortunately, the bulk of black exposure in the media is exactly what you describe. And of course, there are certainly many blacks that behave that way, but it is a truly small percentage, especially when you realize that there are millions of black people in the United States alone.

"Hip hop culture," and "gangsta culture" is not Black Culture. Please don't get it confused.

The problem is that it's not just that small percentage that are being painted with that brush. It's ALL of us, and no matter how many of us work our damnedest to show everybody that we aren't all like what we see on TV, all it seems to take is that loud, vocal, and "thug life" few to have us right back at square one.

Some people simply look for any reason to justify believing that all of us are exactly like how they see us on Law & Order, and 90% of mainstream television and film.

It's frustrating, and disheartening, but we don't stop trying to change that perspective. It's unfortunate that that perception of us has become so ingrained and associated with "black people," that non-blacks think people like me, and the other black people in threads like this are the exception to the rule, and that's so, so far from the truth.

Yeah, I guess I should've been more clear. I don't believe that most black people are like this, but I have seen a lot of them be like this, especially in their teen years. I have a couple of "white" cousins who are 17-19 and basically act this way, and I really hate their attitude. I guess I'm misinformed, I don't believe that "gansta culture" is black culture but I do believe that this type of attitude came from black gangsters, but you could correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe white gansters started this attitude? sounds weird, but I could definitely be wrong. I'm hispanic so I don't know either race's (white + black) complete history. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone here, I was just trying to be honest. I truly do hate this gangster attitude, and I'm ashamed that a lot of people I know act this way (yes, hispanics also act like this, which was heavily influenced by american gangster attitude)

Edit: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=caco look at #5 lol that's what we call them here. (almost laughed my ass off at #4, it's 100% true too)

Reuenthal

Banned
I am not sure about universally hated but here is some explanation: Black people look different which awakes xenophobic feelings and they might be minority populations in many places that also intensifies this. And the African continent lagging behind other continents and regions also intensifies racist views.

Blacks arent hated universally. It just seems that way because the US is probably the most racist place on the planet.

What a terrible post.

I remember at my old job a customer got mad at me and said "Listen I'm not one of your hos!" She was this nice looking lady too, but since she assumed I'm young, that I follow the whole "all black dudes are playas" mentality, when in actuality she got mad at me because she thought something was on sale and wasn't.

But usually when I talk to women they either think I'm a) still in high school(I have a very young babyface, and I'm 25) or b)think I'm some type of playa and I just listen to rap music and "mack on hos" all day. It's really annoying, actually.

But that's what the mainstream media does to black guys. This is pretty much why I wear video game shirts all the time. To try and separate myself from that stuff(and also my love for gaming)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
They are universally hated?

What about Will Smith? Or Gordon Freeman?

But even if we're just talking about the "normal" people, talking how black people are hated everywhere and anywhere seems like a huge, huge exaggeration for me.

I remember at my old job a customer got mad at me and said "Listen I'm not one of your hos!" She was this nice looking lady too, but since she assumed I'm young, that I follow the whole "all black dudes are playas" mentality, when in actuality she got mad at me because she thought something was on sale and wasn't.

But usually when I talk to women they either think I'm a) still in high school(I have a very young babyface, and I'm 25) or b)think I'm some type of playa and I just listen to rap music and "mack on hos" all day. It's really annoying, actually.

Everywhere I go, someone hands me a mop or a broom, Iknowthefeeling.jpg. Joking, but yeah I actually think that what you described is very unique and I can only imagine how frustrating it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom