• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are legitimate gaming discussion topics getting locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Success

Mod edit - see below. We also have an understanding of users we are dealing with, and have previous warning data to call on.

1. The thread was locked because one existed:
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/play...xbox-1m-with-just-the-premium-edition.1660682

2. We don't believe this thread was a legitimate thread. Especially given the proximity and topic matter to the one that was closed and the users history as well.

3. This was not a legitimate thread either, but more spam after the user already had a warning on Saturday.

Starfield has exceeded 1 million concurrent players across all platforms (Xbox, Windows, Steam) - LOCKED

For all the improvements that No Man's Sky got over the years, you still have to spend excruciatingly large number of hours before it gets interesting - LOCKED

My last 12 threads are boring, and after that? A ban? - NOT LOCKED?!?!?!

Starfield hitting 1 million concurrent players across all platforms is BIG news yet we cannot discuss it. Yet an account suicide thread is still left open.

Somebody gives their opinion on No Man's Sky's progress over the years and yet that topic is also disallwoed.

As a community, is there something that I am missing here?

EDIT: Just for perspective, ResetEra is allowing the 1 million Starfield thread and it has more than 5 pages of posts.

EDIT 2: People are only focusing on the Starfield locked thread. The No Man's Sky thread also got locked while the account suicide thread is still up.

EDIT 3: Fixed second and third thread hyperlink.

Good analysis from Eotheod to what effects locking legitimate gaming threads has on the forum:
Not actually sure why the No Man's Sky thread got locked, that is definitely counter productive to gaming discussion. I can see some overflow of Starfield discussion naturally flowing into the thread, but for all intents and purposes it was NMS themed from the OP's point of view.

For something like that thread, the locking kind of instigates the feeling that no one can discuss any game relatively closely related to another soon after the other's launch. That's a weird spot to be in for a gaming forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Success

I think this one might have been locked because there's a more recent 6 million players thread active now.

No need to have 2 threads which discuss 99% the same thing.

The 1 million Starfield thread came before the 6 million thread.

And the 1 million thread was locked before the 6 million thread was even created.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

And the 1 million thread was locked before the 6 million thread was even created.

Didn't know that. Probably multiple post reports ? can only guess.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I love starfield.

You guys wanna talk about Todd’s vision ?

bender

What time is it?
Mods are people too.

0323353b-76ab-498f-8fce-fc8d4b1d07f0_text.gif

feynoob

Banned
Because some post create a war here.
And some post are childish, or there is no reason for them to be posted here.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anything that can be considered console warry will get locked.

Im tempted to start "The Console War |OT| Get It Off Your Chest" thread, would probably save a lot of bans :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Success

Anything that can be considered console warry will get locked.

Im tempted to start "The Console War |OT| Get It Off Your Chest" thread, would probably save a lot of bans :messenger_smirking:

Neither of these two threads fell into that category.

And the suicide thread is a literal bait thread.

Eotheod

Not actually sure why the No Man's Sky thread got locked, that is definitely counter productive to gaming discussion. I can see some overflow of Starfield discussion naturally flowing into the thread, but for all intents and purposes it was NMS themed from the OP's point of view.

For something like that thread, the locking kind of instigates the feeling that no one can discuss any game relatively closely related to another soon after the other's launch. That's a weird spot to be in for a gaming forum.

Erkuza

Banned
I think the most important question is why I have insufficient privileges to post threads.

Anyone know?

Astray

Gold Member
I think this one might have been locked because there's a more recent 6 million players thread active now.

No need to have 2 threads which discuss 99% the same thing.
I think mods should just merge the threads and update title.

NikuNashi

Because not everyone wants a full first page of repeated Starfield threads. They could all go in the same thread.

Topher

Gold Member
I personally do not think we need 10+ Starfield threads. The OT exists for a reason.

EDIT 2: People are only focusing on the Starfield locked thread. The No Man's Sky thread also got locked while the account suicide thread is still up.

That's not an account suicide thread. It was yet another Starfield thread but this time just a personal take. The thread title and poll were changed by mods, I'm guessing as a warning to the OP.

The NMS thread seemed like it was trying to feed off Starfield's energy.

I don't think this is as controversial as you think it is my man.

And I don't think Ree is the example this forum should follow at all. That's just me though.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Currently 86 metacritc, nothing to write home about.
Posts like this are why, OP. There's plenty to talk about with Starfield, but folks need to make absolutely sure the narrative is under control. So, we get ten threads that should've just been posts in the OT, and they end up filled with posts just like this one. It just clutters up the board. Post in the OT and be done with it.

Mr.Phoenix

In truth, the first one was some 3M thingy. That came before everything you are talking about.

See what the problem is?

The fact is that there are just too many dam Starfield threads. There are currently 9 on the front page right now. No way that is a good thing.

Success

In truth, the first one was some 3M thingy. That came before everything you are talking about.

See what the problem is?

The fact is that there are just too many dam Starfield threads. There are currently 9 on the front page right now. No way that is a good thing.

Starfield is literally a one-in-a-generation game.

Complaining that too many people are talking about it is crazy.

Why can ResetEra handle having so much Starfield discussion but on NeoGAF there is like a semi-gag order in place.

I thought NeoGAF is the place where we can have more free and open discussions without being concerned that you get penalised for voicing your opinion.

Raonak

Banned
Personally, I think all starfield threads should get locked.

Having to manually add them to the ignore thread list is tedious to say the least.

tmlDan

Add them to the OT, stop making threads that have no value or discussion.

It was fine before we had an OT, but with an OT these should all go there

Why can ResetEra handle having so much Starfield discussion but on NeoGAF there is like a semi-gag order in place.

I thought NeoGAF is the place where we can have more free and open discussions without being concerned that you get penalised for voicing your opinion.

Also, lol, relax, it's not even in this years GOTY discussions anymore. Go to Era then if you want to hang with those weirdos

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I always wondered how come there isn't a dedicated Console war group.
Have it separated from Gaming and Community.
Make threads, talk shit, have a great time. Just don't be a dick.

Mr.Phoenix

Please not this BS again. SF is a game. What makes it a one-in-a-generation game? The thing didn't even score in the 90s.

Everyone and their dog can talk about the game all they want, but they don't have to make a new thread for every single damn thing. There is an OT for this very reason. You are going on with this shit as if people are trying to gag starfeild discussions. No. No one is doing that, and you ought to try and be more reasonable. We are saying, there is no reason there should be 10+ threads on the front page about the same game. All talking about shit that could just as easily fit in the OT.

It actually does the game a disservice, wouldn't it be better to go to one place...or two at most and get all your SF information, as opposed to having 10 tabs open and having 10 smaller conversations?

Success

Please not this BS again. SF is a game. What makes it a one-in-a-generation game? The thing didn't even score in the 90s.

Everyone and their dog can talk about the game all they want, but they don't have to make a new thread for every single damn thing. There is an OT for this very reason. You are going on with this shit as if people are trying to gag starfeild discussions. No. No one is doing that, and you ought to try and be more reasonable. We are saying, there is no reason there should be 10+ threads on the front page about the same game. All talking about shit that could just as easily fit in the OT.

It actually does the game a disservice, wouldn't it be better to go to one place...or two at most and get all your SF information, as opposed to having 10 tabs open and having 10 smaller conversations?

"You are going on with this shit as if people are trying to gag starfeild discussions. No. No one is doing that"

I have provided evidence of two threads being locked.

You provided rhetoric, hyperbole, and anecdotes.

Thank you for your contribution.

Mr.Phoenix

"You are going on with this shit as if people are trying to gag starfeild discussions. No. No one is doing that"

I have provided evidence of two threads being locked.

You provided rhetoric, hyperbole, and anecdotes.

Thank you for your contribution.
So you are just saying you are ignorant and stubborn? Alright...got you. My bad. Carry on.

And if you want evidence... look at the bloody front page in the gaming forum and count how many starfield threads are there. If you had done that you would have figured out exactly why they were getting locked and maybe even saved us yet another SF thread being made. Cause thats what this is.... yet another SF thread.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
The NMS thread was funny, there was a guy who hated the game a little bit too much.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“I can see some overflow of Starfield discussion naturally flowing into the thread”

You answered yourself. Blame it on the astroturfers and warriors for trying to do “organic marketing” / “spreading word of mouth” of that game and wrecking threads…

Success

UPDATE:

The mods responded and gave further context. The key line is:
"We also have an understanding of users we are dealing with, and have previous warning data to call on."

Since I did not consider the actual users' posting history, it means that the mods have more context of the situation.

Thank you for giving more details mods.

Success

2nd Update:

It would be nice for mods to comment on the locked thread by explaining why the thread is being locked to provide more transparency and understanding to the users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom