• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Expected To Make $1 Billion On Starfield

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Bethesda knew it would have a hit on its hands with Starfield when the game finally launched, and its revenue projections for the game showed that. According to documents leaked as part of the major Xbox leak last week, Bethesda expected to make almost $1 Billion in revenue on Starfield alone.

That estimate comes over a four-year span. In year one, the company projected $600 Million followed by $215 Million in year two. Years three and four see the numbers fall a bit as the game’s lifecycle moves on with projections of $50 million and $35 million, respectively.

Originally, the numbers started in FY21, which is when Starfield was first scheduled. However, we can simply push back the years but keep the numbers to get an idea of what the company was expecting.

As of publishing, Starfield has seen over 10 million players explore space. Based on that, it seems likely that Bethesda will hit those revenue expectations. Even if only half of the 10 million players purchased the base $70 version of the game, that’s still $350,000,000. With post-launch support and accounting for the deluxe editions of the game, it could be safe to assume the company will have no problem hitting the projects

Zones

good-luck-liam-neeson-taken-60am9yuh66dhn1mu.webp

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Starfield has seen over 10 million players explore space. Based on that, it seems likely that Bethesda will hit those revenue expectations. Even if only half of the 10 million players purchased the base $70 version of the game, that’s still $350,000,000. With post-launch support and accounting for the deluxe editions of the game, it could be safe to assume the company will have no problem hitting the projects.
dhNmPKq.gif

Are there microtransactions that I'm unaware of? I paid for the early access and bought the Starfield controller.
Is that enough to get to 1 Billion with a 'B'?

knguyen

If they made a game that represents everything they said in those honest and good guy interviews, then may be they'll make 1B out of it.

StueyDuck

This is not really much of anything... fudging projections is pretty common, especially in gaming.

Just look how great square Enix is at it

Completely conceivable given how many had early access, the fact Bethesda games sell over a long time and of course the DLC next year. Anyone saying otherwise is letting their emotions get the better of them. Yes for some reason people have become very emotional about Starfield 🤔😄

phant0m

How TF people are still incapable to understand a developer makes a fraction of the full retail price? I don’t even get into revenue vs. net profit.
In this case, it’s a big leg up that Bethesda is owned by the only platform owner their game is on.

Yes they’ll still have to give brick & mortar retailers and Steam a cut but I doubt the publisher (MS) and digital storefront (MS) on Xbox are taking their usual “cut”.

Also it’s revenue, not profit as you mentioned. Even f the ASP is only $60 you only need to sell 16.6M copies to get to a billion. FWIW, Skyrim has sold over 30M copies. Four years is probably a bit wishful though, especially with somewhat tepid post-launch reactions.

The biggest question is how they’re compensated through GamePass.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Completely conceivable given how many had early access, the fact Bethesda games sell over a long time and of course the DLC next year. Anyone saying otherwise is letting their emotions get the better of them. Yes for some reason people have become very emotional about Starfield 🤔😄
I think you're the one letting your emotions get the better of you. 10 million players doesn't equate to 10 million purchases. Starfield is not showing signs of having long legs the way Fallout 4 and Skyrim did especially without a PS5 release.

King Dazzar

They did try to monetise mods before. Maybe that and DLC and the inevitable special editions. But I'm guessing this is all very much based on them expecting this to be as timeless and classical as Skyrim and I just dont see it on the same level at all. Sooo, good luck n' all that!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seems logic is getting the better of some ppl thinking players equal sales that includes Game Pass.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
In this case, it’s a big leg up that Bethesda is owned by the only platform owner their game is on.

Yes they’ll still have to give brick & mortar retailers and Steam a cut but I doubt the publisher (MS) and digital storefront (MS) on Xbox are taking their usual “cut”.

Also it’s revenue, not profit as you mentioned. Even f the ASP is only $60 you only need to sell 16.6M copies to get to a billion. FWIW, Skyrim has sold over 30M copies. Four years is probably a bit wishful though, especially with somewhat tepid post-launch reactions.

The biggest question is how they’re compensated through GamePass.
FWIW, being released multiple times on multiple systems....not being released on PS5 is definitely going to cost this game revenue. I doubt Starfield has a prayers chance of making up that lost revenue with game pass subscriptions. It has been out for two weeks now. MS would be screaming through the rooftops if it resulted in a drastic increase is Gamepass subscriptions. So far, they are using metrics like "10 million players"

graywolf323

FWIW, being released multiple times on multiple systems....not being released on PS5 is definitely going to cost this game revenue. I doubt Starfield has a prayers chance of making up that lost revenue with game pass subscriptions. It has been out for two weeks now. MS would be screaming through the rooftops if it resulted in a drastic increase is Gamepass subscriptions. So far, they are using metrics like "10 million players"
there’s still some on here claiming Game Pass has hit 30 million subscribers and Xbox is just waiting for the right moment to announce it 🤷🏼‍♂️ 🙄

phant0m

Predicting that half of the players are purchasers seems insane.
I think it’s probably no far off.

I would venture that probably 80% of PC players purchased on Steam, just so they don’t have to use the mediocre at best MS Store/Xbox app.

Xbox consoles are probably 70/30 in favor of GP.

But I will say a Billy is waaaay more realistic if the game was on PS as well.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Skyrim did 1b in the first 30 days. I wouldn't be surprised if Starfield does 1b in its lifespan.

Top Bottom