• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are some sports fans so obnoxious?

Woggleman

On Christmas there was a game where the Giants vs Eagles were playing and some of the guys were for one team and some were for the other and it turned into a screaming match about who has worse fans. It got so annoying I went in the other to go and hang out with the women. Nothing wrong with enjoying the game but people just get so worked up about a bunch of rich players who wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Last edited:

Woggleman

Which team were you cheering for? The loser I’m guessing?
The Giants but I did not scream at the top of my lungs how all Eagles fans are scum and the worst people to ever walk the face of the earth. They were the losers but that is beside the point. At that point most of us had a few drinks so that was a part of it as well.

KrakenIPA

Yeah i have been hearing sooo much about how <insert team's> fans are the worst, to the point where I'm asked who I root for. I feel like preconceptions of a person that are not based on the simplest social cues might lead to misjudgement of that person.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think men have instincts to define boundaries, bring things within a space to order, protect it from threats. When everything is perfectly fine, these instincts have nowhere to apply and so they replace them with virtual forms. Sports are a very direct form of virtualized conflict over defined bounds and tribalism. Videogames do the same but in an actual virtual space. Politics send it back into real life but in conflict over the conceptual. Sciences take things deeper into real life and deeper into conceptual as well, yet back to the basics of man venturing beyond known bounds and setting order to nature. Soft studies such as history, sociology, and psychology start to bring this back into tribalism with competing schools of thought.

When people become too obnoxious about these things, it is likely because they are finding very little in their life where they are impactful, mastering a space or art and being acknowledged for it. Without this sense of identity and role, it is difficult to sort hierarchy of respects, which is another strong instinct. So then the virtualized form becomes more like a real measure of themselves rather than a mere game and if they perceive the other as not giving due credit, there is a sense that they themselves are being disrespected in the hierarchy of respects. Sports is where the stupidity of it is perhaps most apparent, yet people do the same when they are unable to discuss any meaningful topic with someone who disagrees without getting all worked up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Giants vs Eagles
first time GIF

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The Giants but I did not scream at the top of my lungs how all Eagles fans are scum and the worst people to ever walk the face of the earth. They were the losers but that is beside the point. At that point most of us had a few drinks so that was a part of it as well.
I’m just giving you a hard time. I completely agree when people go over the line and switch from cheering for theirs to running down the other

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You should see English football fans hurl abuse... Fucking hell, I've been too a right few matches where the only thing stopping an absolute bloodbath was a thin strip of police

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You should see English football fans hurl abuse... Fucking hell, I've been too a right few matches where the only thing stopping an absolute bloodbath was a thin strip of police

Yeah, American football fans are tame compared to English football (soccer) fans. England is the country that invented football hooliganism. It's in our DNA.

I've been to many away games where I've seen shit that made me question humanity. Some real, savage, unbelievable brutality.

DKehoe

Roughly once a week someone on this website gets banned because they get overzealous about a games console. It's not sports. Some people are just obnoxious. Sport is just one of many vehicles for that.

Yeah, American football fans are tame compared to English football (soccer) fans. England is the country that invented football hooliganism. It's in our DNA.

I've been to many away games where I've seen shit that made me question humanity. Some real, savage, unbelievable brutality.
It's still weird to me that home and away fans can sit together at American games.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Roughly once a week someone on this website gets banned because they get overzealous about a games console. It's not sports. Some people are just obnoxious. Sport is just one of many vehicles for that.

It's still weird to me that home and away fans can sit together at American games.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think that in the scenario you're describing along with most team based sports is that it's simply a matter of still present underlying tribalism consciously or unconsciously using their team (which can also be tied to a specific part of town etc) as an external conductor for those tendencies to manifest.

Some are proud of their team/hometown and their appreciation and hence expression will manifest depending on the person. One can be cheering, the other violent etc.

I'm sure someone can word my post much better but that's my take as far as I think.

Last edited:

Hrk69

I will never get tired of the dudes making wank gestures towards players in the Premier League

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
EQZMS6i.jpg

this meme sums up the situation.

I grew up in Northern New Jersey surrounded by Giants fans and they're really no different from Eagles fans lmao. But each one thinks of the other as subhuman.

MrA

Banned
There are people like that in every hobby
Probably be fun to do a proper study, I wonder if the same people that are jerks about their hobbies are the same people that are jerks to retail workers

INC

Because they're insecure beta males, who have nothing of worth in their lives.
And they can openly kiss and hug men of the same personality type, all in the name of sports

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Should we just all get along and cheer for rival teams?

Yay.

Fuck that, obnoxious sports hate is fun.

Not everything needs to be as tame as sipping tea. Lets not bring the sensitivity of the console wars to sports. Where if you simply criticize a game/console, or have a clear preference, you're called a fanboy.

Last edited:
There are fans, and then there are fanatics.

What separates the two is a lack of reasoning. Has nothing to do with sports - unreasonable people are obnoxious in all walks of life.

simpatico

He doesn't know about Eagles fans. Funny how most of us knew they would be at play here before opening the thread.

Last edited:
Just wait until you find out about moronic DJ Khaled fans fighting over a plastic box that has like 2% more total GPU versus the one that has less but runs it at a higher clock speed.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
"Some"? All sports fans are obnoxious in some way. They are all annoying. The only difference is the extent of the bias and the stamina of the schmuck in question.

I happily include myself in that demographic btw.

Top Bottom