• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Did Aliens Colonial Marines Fail? How BAD Was It Really?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It was unrelenting wank, and the second biggest gaming disappointment for me after Mass Effect 3.
Not for me as I wasn't interested on it,but I can comprenhend you because the devs tried their best to put the hype of this game through the roof, saying things like "revolutionary" and "we love this saga". Also trying to make the game a direct sequel of the first movie was some of the boldest moves I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Not for me as I wasn't interested on it,but I can comprenhend you because the devs tried their best to put the hype of this game through the roof, saying things like "revolutionary" and "we love this saga". Also trying to make the game a direct sequel of the first movie was some of the boldest moves I've ever seen.
Yep, and I LOVE the Alien universe.

Like the video mentions, the trailers and demos for this game are incredible, even today, and bear only a passing resemblance to what we actually got.

Randy Pitchford is such a dickhead.

GrayFoxPL

I got it on ps3 digitally. It barely costed anything or was free with ps+, can't remember.

It wasn't so bad. I mean it wasn't good or anything but it wasn't unplayable.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
3EYTdbj.jpg

More fun.

It was alright on PC I guess so long as you did the tweaks, especially the one ini fix for a singular line of code which seemed to cause most of the goofy AI.

To be honest I feel sorry for the guys the game was farmed out to as Gearbox hyped the hell out of it.

wipeout364

Honestly it was just so mediocre. There was no tension or horror about it at all. The shooting was bland, the level design was bland. Alien needs some thought put into it to impress fans. If they had renamed it and released it as a new space FPS it would have gotten 5/10.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Pitchford and his half assed musical mocking of Gamergate sucks but I'll give him credit for Half-Life: Opposing Force which is imo the best HF expansion.

Kataploom

Gold Member
As bad as a typo in an essential line of your production branch codebase

Edit: I haven't play it lol

Last edited:

Desudzer10

The game was as average as average can be. What made it fail was the trailers and hype behind it. It was supposed to be this amazing and beautiful aliens game, but it was just generic looking generic game.

Plus people dont like Pitchford so it was easy to hate it more.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I want to see a Aliens RPG along the lines of Cyberpunk 2077

Ugh, you reminded me,

RAIDEN1

Ugh, you reminded me,

Yeah could have been some game....certainly better than Colonial marines..(in theory anyway..)

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Probably already stated but wasn't a majority of the AI fixed with a couple lines of code changed?

I actually interview this team back in the day and saw the now cancelled wii U port and they genuinely were super excited about this game. I have no idea what happened.

MiguelItUp

Man, what a mess this game was. I'm a huge Alien fan so I got it anyway, what a disappointment.

I actually have quite a few friends/old co-workers that worked at Timegate and were working on Colonial Marines. They have absolutely nothing positive to say about the experience, lmao. Can't say I'm surprised considering Gearbox basically did them dirty and they shuttered shortly after. Really sad.

Last edited:
Probably already stated but wasn't a majority of the AI fixed with a couple lines of code changed?

I actually interview this team back in the day and saw the now cancelled wii U port and they genuinely were super excited about this game. I have no idea what happened.

From what I remember when I last played a couple of years back, it was pretty much a single value that needed to be changed in an ini file. Instantly made the AI more aggressive & the aliens would use walls, ceilings etc to close the distance instead of moonwalking towards you like before the tweak.

Arkam

One (tiny) part of it was the lies they got during play tests. I participated in one they did in Orlando Florida (no clue why they were doing it there but fellow game dev invited me.) We tested the multiplayer and it was OK but very confusing. Other than myself and my friend people were hyperbolically praising it. I never played the final game so I have no idea if anything changed or not.

on the plus side they gave us dope rubber FaceSuckers which I still have to this day!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It was shit and a crushing disappointment.

Put it this way. Alien Trilogy and Alien Resurrection, both of which are PS1 FPS, are far superior to that POS Alien CM.

In fact, why the hell haven't we had a modern console port of the PS1 classics Alien Trilogy and Alien Resurrection?

While I agree that the game is horrible, I can’t stand how pessimistic and whiny that YouTuber is. I was subscribed for a little while, but gave up after realizing that he whines about the games he likes too. Just... be happy. Jeez.

Oh, and gearbox is to blame for the sorry state of Colonial Marines. Borderlands 1&2 were a fluke. Even though it’s awful, I love Colonial Marines, and I replay it often. The coop is just dumb fun.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They made a bad game, and they showed off a game that wasn’t the game they made. Then they made a bunch of excuses.

Blond

Banned
I got it on ps3 digitally. It barely costed anything or was free with ps+, can't remember.

It wasn't so bad. I mean it wasn't good or anything but it wasn't unplayable.

if you got it free by that point the game was already patched up to be playable. it was a complete shit show at launch and was basically rebuilt from a 4/10 game to a 6/10

GrayFoxPL

if you got it free by that point the game was already patched up to be playable. it was a complete shit show at launch and was basically rebuilt from a 4/10 game to a 6/10
I mean npcs and aliens still idiotically got stuck in corridors so dunno about the patch, but hey, you can get Hick's shotgun. ;]

MetalAlien

Banned
I used cheats on the PC just to see all the work they put in the set and environments but yea the game itself wasn't interesting.

aries_71

Pitchford is a pathological liar. I remember how they tricked me with the Brother in Arms 3 promo videos, just to find out that the real game was a pale joke in comparison.

Sejan

Wasn’t there a simple typo in a plaintext config file that broke the alien AI that no one bothered to fix?

If o recall, fixing the typo only marginally improved the game overall, but it’s still an embarrassment if it’s true.

Top Bottom