• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did custom ringtones die?

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Early cellphones just had a standard ringtone. Later the Nokia introduced the composer on the 3310 to make custom ringtones and there companies seeling ringtones. From there on custom ringdings became all the rage.

Europe ringdings, Van Halen ringdings, even Alien Ant Farm ringdings.

As the technology behind cellphones became better, we just started using audio files as a ringding.

In the later years I remember a friend having a shitty top 40 song as a ringding for when he had a text. Except it would play THE WHOLE FUCKING 4 minutes of the song. As a TEXT MESSAGE RINGDING.

That was the final fucking straw for me. Luckily I fogot about it until earlier today which pissed me off and reminded me of ringdings. That's when I realized I haven't seen a custom ringding in years - it's always just default Android or iPhone ringding.

Do you still encounter the idiots who use these? Or have they truly died?

T8SC

I used the Metal Gear Solid "Alert" noise as a message tone ... And kept it when I realised how annoyed people were with it.

51ux2EgYKZL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Huh? What was that noise.

There's one annoying guy at my work that has really annyoing / stupid ones and his phone always set super loud. "I'M DONALD TRUMP AND I ARPPOVE THIS MESSAGE" "WARNING WARNING THIS IS YOUR WIFE IS CALLING" -- dumb ones like that.

Last one I had was probably 15 years ago, the Star Trek TNG door chime for texts.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
There's one annoying guy at my work that has really annyoing / stupid ones and his phone always set super loud. "I'M DONALD TRUMP AND I ARPPOVE THIS MESSAGE" "WARNING WARNING THIS IS YOUR WIFE IS CALLING" -- dumb ones like that.

Last one I had was probably 15 years ago, the Star Trek TNG door chime for texts.
Cringe as fuck.

The "Woooo Woooo WARNING! WARNING! IT'S THE WIFE" was in the fucking 90s. It was cringe and tasteless then. Imagine some dull cunt actually using it now.

Thaedolus

The fact that Apple got rid of the silence on/off toggle switch on the side of their phones in favor of a button you can customize probably bolsters the idea nobody was using it

Nydius

Gold Member
They died? Could have fooled me. I make custom m4r ringtones for every contact from my vast music and midi/effects library. My current text tone, for example, is the Splatoon 3 tacticooler effect.

The irony, of course, is that I keep my phone on silent 90% of the time. 🙄

Last edited:

demigod

I use a custom ringtone on my iphone but man is it not as easy as back then. Had a Sony slider phone before and it was freakin easy to make ringtones and add to specific contacts. The ringtone I used for my mom calling me was one winged angel.

Eiknarf

I just make my own text tone and ringtone via GarageBand on the iPhone. It’s got a simple one-button press to import it as either

Cringe as fuck.

The "Woooo Woooo WARNING! WARNING! IT'S THE WIFE" was in the fucking 90s. It was cringe and tasteless then. Imagine some dull cunt actually using it now.

Oh yeah he's a weird middle-aged guy -- wandering around always (badly) singing whatever song is in his head, often blowing raspberry noises for some reason, he's got in HR trouble for saying stupid / offensive things (particularly to women) -- exactly who you'd expect to still be rocking something like that ringtone, lol.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Because at some point we all just switched to vibrate for calls. For messages I have some Streets of Rage SFX I cycle between however.

JBat

Gold Member
I had the metal gear ! alert sound as my text notification too. until I got a smart watch and started leaving my phone on silent 99.9% of the time. The best custom ringtone I had in high school was a midi version of rubber band man by T.I. that slapped as the kids say.

Who remembers these nightmares

The Hamster Foundation is much better anyway.
I used to own two hamsters. I named them hippity and hoppity. One day my beloved mother put them outside in their cage.

Hours pass and she forgets about them. It poured rain for an hour. I go outside to play and see hippity and hoppity floating in their cage dead. I run inside crying and said mom you let the hamsters drown! You left them outside in their cage!!

We gave them a proper burial in a shoebox in my backyard along with some hip hop CDs.

I cried my eyes out. How could this happen to 6 year old me.

To this day I still have hippity and hoppitys lifeless bodies haunt my nightmares.

I would like their names to be forever immortalized in the hamster foundation.

Tams

They died? Could have fooled me. I make custom m4r ringtones for every contact from my vast music and midi/effects library. My current text tone, for example, is the Splatoon 3 tacticooler effect.

The irony, of course, is that I keep my phone on silent 90% of the time. 🙄

Please do share where you got all these effects/midis.

So there was a day like 7-8 years ago... and I had a custom ringtone ringing out in public... and I was listening to it, and rocking out... and I thought to myself, "when was the last time I heard someone else with a ringtone of like an actual song?" It had been a hot minute to say the least. I surveyed the scene, the local taco shop, and nobody was willing to make eye contact with me. And at that moment I finally understood, and reset that shit to one of the default ringtones on the phone.

And that was it. I was the last one. After that it was gone.

Don't listen to that weirdo in this thread talking about making custom MIDI ringtones or whatever nonsense he's on about. He's a fucking LARPer
Ttrpg Presenting GIF by zoefannet

I have a custom ringtone on my s24u. Its a song from a game and i cut the part i wanted to. Default ones suck and the fact that nany use them means we as society have become far lazier than before.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have an instrumental I clipped as my ringtone. I like being able to quickly distinguish my ringer from other people's.

I don't really know many people who do this anymore though.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
This is legit my ring tone... unfortunately my phone is always on vibrate because I'm constantly get calls and texts

Also, this used to be my ring tone too, i might go back to it

Last edited:

Sinistar

Yeah, those custom ringtones were a blast. But thankfully, I haven't seen those super long, loud ones in ages. Most folks just stick with the defaults these days, which is probably for the best

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
ITT people afraid of interacting with another human beings in real time justify their insecurities.

Email = hours to get shit resolfed

Phone = 5 minutes

I take phone.

Last edited:

Mistake

I have a couple, but I rarely use regular calls. Most apps and iOS don't make it easy to change them either. It's stupid. I had an easier time doing it 20 years ago on a flip phone

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I think it has to do with phones being somewhat limited back then so when people had downtime they would mess around with anything they could do with thier phones but there was only so much you could so ringtones was a fun thing but now smartphones have so many options that rather than messing with ringtones people are watching YouTube or on social media. Also people receive fewer calls as well.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Back when I had my flip phone I paid 4 bucks to my provider to get Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" ringtone just to annoy my coworkers.

Now I have John Carpenter's Halloween ringtone.

Top Bottom