• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did custom ringtones die?

Billbofet

Gold Member
I have the theme to Gremlins play when my wife calls and The Imperial March when my mom calls - it's from The Notebook....
But, my phone is almost always on silent mode.

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
after iPhones came out.

The image that Apple's phone gives off, having custom ringtones came off as uncool.

Renoir

i think its too complicated for people now. Especialy for Iphone users. On android you can easily make an mp3 clip. or have something like Zedge and have countless ring tones.
Iphones you have to use garage band and all to make some. If the ring tone isn't in the menu I doubt that many people go trough the process of making one.

22:22:22

Banned
I have a custom one of a girl shouting my name and accusing me of cheating.

next i decline the call and say "woman, right"

Or say sorry she's on her period.

Seinfeld Whatever GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
They didnt always, but yeah you have to buy a dedicated ringtone file for the music you want to use as ringtone.
That's mad, I'm just used to Android where they have actual RINGTONE and ALERT folders and any audio files you move to those can become a selectable option in settings.

Pigenator

Nobody calls anymore, and my phone is silent for the past ~7 years or so. I ain't missing all that shitty typing sound whatever

Susurrus

I use Final Fantasy VI battle theme as my ringtone, and the Final Fantasy VI blue mage cast tone as the message.

kunonabi

I never stopped using custom ringtone and notification sounds. Nothing beats when I had JBLs theme as my ringtone.

StueyDuck

When I was bartending way back In the long long ago at uni.

I had A-punk as my ringtone, very quickly it became a sense of dread because it would go off regularly with people trying to get me to cover or swap shifts because they wanted to party that night, Even though I'd had worked 4 nights that week already and needed a break.

So essentially that song because almost anger/panic inducing and even till this day the first sting of thar song still affects Me a little.

Needless to say I won't ruin a song for myself like that again.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I always keep my phone on vibrate. I can't think of a single time where I haven't found the sound of ringing phone to be annoying or disruptive.

My notification sound is the coin collection sound from Donkey Kong Country 2.

My ringtone is Dirt Of Your Shoulder by Jay Z.

My phone is on vibrate 95% of the day.

Last edited:

drganon

Gold Member
I used to have the back to the future theme as my ringtone,but now it's just the default. I rarely get calls anyway, just texts.

Vlodril

There's one annoying guy at my work that has really annyoing / stupid ones and his phone always set super loud. "I'M DONALD TRUMP AND I ARPPOVE THIS MESSAGE" "WARNING WARNING THIS IS YOUR WIFE IS CALLING" -- dumb ones like that.

Last one I had was probably 15 years ago, the Star Trek TNG door chime for texts.

I have the tng door one for notifications. I also have the mass effect 1 main theme as my ringtone.

Darchaos

I dont even have the sound on, i answer if i see someone call and feel to take take the call. I might call back later, or i dont.

I used to use Rock songs as ringtones, but at some point I switched to silent mode all the time unless I'm expecting an important call. Most of the time my phone is within reach and the screen turning on or the vibration is enough to alert me.

I just don't like when I'm with someone and I have to answer the call (including Whatsapp calls) because they heard the ringtone and will wonder why I don't answer if I choose not to. I want to keep control over whether I want to answer or not. You know those friends who might call at absolutely any time and keep you on the phone for 30 minutes if not an hour.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I just outgrew it I think. I just use a standard ringer these days.

And yes I'm very fun at parties. Why do you ask?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
my text notification has been the movie cranks ringtone for like 15 years now on every phone I’ve had. Love it. Everybody thinks my phone is dying.

I have had a yellow iPhone for like 5 years My ringtone is the sped up version of raffi’s banana phone. It gets some laughs.

Top Bottom