• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does no one block in the Rocky films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught one of the Rocky films on cable recently, and what really stood out to me is the fact that no one keeps their hands up in any of the fights. Everyone just lets their opponents jab them in the face at will.

I've linked to videos of three of the major fights in the series.

Rocky vs Apollo Creed

Rocky vs Clubber Lang

Rocky vs Ivan Drago

You can see that almost no defense ever takes place. The only real defense in the entire series is when Rocky will start bobbing and weaving to make his opponent's punches miss. But he never puts his gloves up, basically leaving his opponents free to connect with his head at will.

The opponents are no better, constantly leaving themselves wide open for Rocky's attacks. All the fights seem to boil down to a back and forth see-saw match where the combatants take turns unleashing bukkakke-esque facial assaults on each other.

The only thing that seems to determine whether it's Rocky or the opponent who gets to jab the other guy in the face 20 consecutive times is what the script is calling for that particular point in the fight, along with musical cues.

I'm no great fighter, but I've done a fair bit of training in my time, in boxing and various martial arts, and there is no way any decent trainer would let any of these boxers get through a single day of training without fixing these glaring defensive holes.

This shit kind of ruins the movies for me.

It's so over the top I can't even stand it.

Watch Raging Bull or Cinderella Man if you want a more accurate portrayal of the sweet science, otherwise Rocky is just two guys throwing haymakers for a half hour.

Carbonox

It is a bit annoying when Rocky doesn't block. If he knew how to, his matches would be over in seconds.

But hey, it's a movie, it's fun watching these guys beat up on eachother and they're so damn good to watch.

because Stallone wanted to make boxing films that were more animated and entertaining than a realistic boxing film (ala Raging Bull)...?

That's all I can guess.

It's so over the top I can't even stand it.

Watch Raging Bull or Cinderella Man if you want a more accurate portrayal of the sweet science, otherwise Rocky is just two guys throwing haymakers for a half hour.

Whats this about Over The Top?

Overthetop.jpg

They're used to Street Fighter controls in the Rocky Universe, but the movies are set up with MK style block-buttons.

Makes for much more entertaining fights watching Rocky hold back all day and just eating fists with his chin.

Beardz

Really? I thought I was watching a real boxing match the whole time! NOW ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I WAS WATCHING A MOVIE?!

obin_gam

Real boxing is really really boring to watch. It was a good decision to make the fights entertaining in these films.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I think Rocky Balboa is the only film in which they try to attempt "realistic" boxing techniques (blocking).

Yeah, real boxing is surprisingly boring to watch.

Don't get me wrong- I appreciate a good light-weight bout when two wirey guys are just going at it & Tyson in his prime was fascinating as hell to watch... but a standard boxing match, especially with heavy weights, is pretty much all blocking (for protection obviously) and embracing (getting winded quickly).

Any of Rocky's major battles will have most people on their feet cheering the big lug on the entire time; exchanging massive hits, working past rope pins, crushing body shots (Stallone can fucking sell the shit out of a body shot), fist-pumping soundtrack, does he have anything left?... all of that.

I appreciate something like Raging Bull because it's an amazing drama based on a true story that happens to have boxing in it. It's realistic because it has to be.

I appreciate something like Rocky because it's like a comic book version of boxing- haymakers, fights that go hard for 12 rounds, stereotypical characters, and badass montages. ;)

OP have you ever even boxed? I was boxing quite a much in my teenage years and early 20's and I never ever blocked. Ever. It was actually encouraged to not to block: taking pain gives you adrenaline and makes you punch harder. And getting few punches to drop the other boxer faster is nothing: only thing I ever had was a mild concussion, no brain damagabkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkfdgäpk opkgokkkkkpaoekw wopkpaoksdpokokfvvg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggoooooooooooooo cheesecake sandwich

OP have you ever even boxed? I was boxing quite a much in my teenage years and early 20's and I never ever blocked. Ever. It was actually encouraged to not to block: taking pain gives you adrenaline and makes you punch harder. And getting few punches to drop the other boxer faster is nothing: only thing I ever had was a mild concussion, no brain damagabkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkfdgäpk opkgokkkkkpaoekw wopkpaoksdpokokfvvg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggoooooooooooooo cheesecake sandwich
a I scrolled down, I rolled my eyes then laughed. gg.

Speevy

Banned
They sort of addressed this by having a really spotty record for him in Rocky 6.

It stands to reason that he'd lose more fights than he's win if he didn't block.

Because real boxing is not exciting to general non fans.

Poke poke, block block, duck, block poke punch poke block block man hugs, block poke man hugs.

The Cowboy

One thing to remember is, a round lasts 3 minutes and a match lasts between 12 and 16 rounds (dependant on film) - so anything from 36 to 48 minutes total. The exception is Rocky 3, but a very different tactic was being used in those fights.

Now think how much of the fights we see in the movies, and think how much fun it would be if a lot of that was blocking.

IIRC he blocks Clubba Lang's strong punches in the their second match. That's how he won.

I'm pretty sure he just takes them to the face and goads Lang into punching so much he tires himself out.

Forget a trainer, no boxing ref would let you stay in the ring longer than two minutes with no hands up.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Really? I thought I was watching a real boxing match the whole time! NOW ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I WAS WATCHING A MOVIE?!

I gotta say, the first time I watched a Rocky movie I was wincing. Not much longevity for a boxer who fights like that.

Yes it's a movie, but that is rough to watch if you know anything about the sport.

leadbelly

Banned
Because real boxing is not exciting to general non fans.

Poke poke, block block, duck, block poke punch poke block block man hugs, block poke man hugs.

It's also true that some people tend to overly simplify a sport they don't like or understand. It is true that some fights can be boring, but what do you really expect? Not every fight is going to be an absolute classic. It all depends on the quality of the boxer and how up for it they are.

I sometimes to watched a boxing show that used to be on late at night. It's one of those boxing programmes that shows classic boxing matches. Basically you were only watching the absolute best boxing matches on that show, When they're good, they're really good.

One of my favourites from that show I remember watching was a fight between Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan. I think Gerald McClellan was the favourite, and during the course of of the fight it looked for all the world McClellan was going to win it, but Benn came back in spectacular style.

There is another reason I mentioned that one. It's almost like a real life Rocky fight. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k

Slayven

I caught one of the Rocky films on cable recently, and what really stood out to me is the fact that no one keeps their hands up in any of the fights. Everyone just lets their opponents jab them in the face at will.

I've linked to videos of three of the major fights in the series.

Rocky vs Apollo Creed

Rocky vs Clubber Lang

Rocky vs Ivan Drago

You can see that almost no defense ever takes place. The only real defense in the entire series is when Rocky will start bobbing and weaving to make his opponent's punches miss. But he never puts his gloves up, basically leaving his opponents free to connect with his head at will.

The opponents are no better, constantly leaving themselves wide open for Rocky's attacks. All the fights seem to boil down to a back and forth see-saw match where the combatants take turns unleashing bukkakke-esque facial assaults on each other.

The only thing that seems to determine whether it's Rocky or the opponent who gets to jab the other guy in the face 20 consecutive times is what the script is calling for that particular point in the fight, along with musical cues.

I'm no great fighter, but I've done a fair bit of training in my time, in boxing and various martial arts, and there is no way any decent trainer would let any of these boxers get through a single day of training without fixing these glaring defensive holes.

This shit kind of ruins the movies for me.

I wish somebody would break down The Mighty Ducks like this.

Manu

I rewatched the whole series a few weeks ago, and Rocky Balboa is the only movie where the fight seems kinda realistic.

It is jarring to watch a heart felt and sometimes heart wrenching film about a down on his luck loan shark and a washed out old coach turn into a goofy comedy before your very eyes.

leadbelly

Banned
Seriously, watch this fight. Nigel Benn takes one hell of a beating, even goes through a first round knockout, to come back towards the end and win the fight. I think he was knocked down 3 times in total before coming back to win the fight. Real life rocky fight. lol

Gerald McClellan - 31 wins and 3 losses with 29 wins by knockout. Rated as one of the greatest punchers in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_McClellan

Nigel Benn was the clear underdog in that fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k

I should point out that this was McClellan's last fight. McClellan had to have emergency surgery after the fight to remove a blood clot from his brain. He lost his eyesight, his ability to walk and became 80% death. It was an amazing fight, but it came at a really bad cost. :(

Jado

Banned
They sort of addressed this by having a really spotty record for him in Rocky 6.

It stands to reason that he'd lose more fights than he's win if he didn't block.

The spotty record was always there. All of the losses except two (Creed, Lang) came from before his training with Mickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom