• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does no one block in the Rocky films?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boxing wouldn't be on the decline as it is today if all the fights were like rocky balboa fights. They would just have to find more fighter two or three fights in they'd be eating out of a straw

Yeah it's infuriating to me, which is why I don't enjoy it as much. Everyone is wide open and the swings are massive, even the jabs aren't compact.

Hard to appreciate it when there's nothing to get out of it skill wise other than whose skull was the most surgerized to withstand bomb after bomb.

This is coming from a guy who likes Hajime No Ippo. While it's unrealistic and defense is usually put on the back burner, there's way more to it.

crpav

Who would really want to watch a 12 round, split decision hug fest? It's about being exciting and drama not real boxing.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Dolph Lundgren was probably the only one starring in that series who had legitimate boxing skills. I'm sure Stallone trained a lot more than the typical Hollywood celebrity parachuting into a role these days but it looks like he spent a lot more time working out than actually learning how to move like a boxer.

Not that realism is the mark to aim for. Some of the best fighting scenes in movies are completely unrealistic. It's probably possible to pin down what's wrong with those fights just as a reflection of stunt work without referring to what is or is not good boxing. Fight scenes in movies tell a story and the ones in the Rocky movies are maybe a little too dumb in their progression and craft.

Keep in mind when the first movie came out the action in Asian cinema was still using a really choppy looking tempo. The first movie doesn't look that bad in comparison to other 70s action. A lot of the quality stunts/action didn't come out of Hollywood until the mid to late 80s

Bishop89

Because we, the audience, do not want to be bored out of our minds.

If real life boxing was like rocky boxing, it might actually be a watchable and entertaining sport.

Seriously, watch this fight. Nigel Benn takes one hell of a beating, even goes through a first round knockout, to come back towards the end and win the fight. I think he was knocked down 3 times in total before coming back to win the fight. Real life rocky fight. lol

Gerald McClellan - 31 wins and 3 losses with 29 wins by knockout. Rated as one of the greatest punchers in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_McClellan

Nigel Benn was the clear underdog in that fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k

I should point out that this was McClellan's last fight. McClellan had to have emergency surgery after the fight to remove a blood clot from his brain. He lost his eyesight, his ability to walk and became 80% death. It was an amazing fight, but it came at a really bad cost. :(
Yeah, that kinda puts a damper on the fight. I just googled McClellan and apparently he had his colon removed in 2012...

Cousteau

The older I get the more dumb these movies get. No way the ref would let these fights continue with multiple blows to the face over n over. Really lazy and ignorant fight scenes. Why didnt he make it at least SOMEWHAT believable? Its like a cartoon fight come to life

because Stallone wanted to make boxing films that were more animated and entertaining than a realistic boxing film (ala Raging Bull)...?

That's all I can guess.

This is the real answer actually. During production they had a famous (in the industry) fight choreographer on set for the fight scene and Sly laid out how he wanted the fight to go and this choreographer was straight up insulted. He was all like "that's not how its done" and Sly was all "thats how i want it" so the dude quit.

its part of this documentary, but im not sure if its in part 1 or 2

amnesiac

image.php

Which one is which?

I chuckled.

OP have you ever even boxed? I was boxing quite a much in my teenage years and early 20's and I never ever blocked. Ever. It was actually encouraged to not to block: taking pain gives you adrenaline and makes you punch harder. And getting few punches to drop the other boxer faster is nothing: only thing I ever had was a mild concussion, no brain damagabkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkfdgäpk opkgokkkkkpaoekw wopkpaoksdpokokfvvg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggoooooooooooooo cheesecake sandwich

I just want you to know that I literally laughed out loud.

HiResDes

Seriously, watch this fight. Nigel Benn takes one hell of a beating, even goes through a first round knockout, to come back towards the end and win the fight. I think he was knocked down 3 times in total before coming back to win the fight. Real life rocky fight. lol

Gerald McClellan - 31 wins and 3 losses with 29 wins by knockout. Rated as one of the greatest punchers in history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_McClellan

Nigel Benn was the clear underdog in that fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMr24cH--0k

I should point out that this was McClellan's last fight. McClellan had to have emergency surgery after the fight to remove a blood clot from his brain. He lost his eyesight, his ability to walk and became 80% death. It was an amazing fight, but it came at a really bad cost. :(

You're missing something:

McClellan moved up in weight to challenge WBC super middleweight champion Nigel Benn in London on February 25, 1995. The fight was watched by an estimated 17 million people on television and 10,300 paying spectators.

...He was not an underdog at all, he moved up to fight a champion in a higher weight class.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Because Rocky, along with every other boxer in the movie(s), are awesome. It's that simple.

Also, movie.

You're missing something:

McClellan moved up in weight to challenge WBC super middleweight champion Nigel Benn in London on February 25, 1995. The fight was watched by an estimated 17 million people on television and 10,300 paying spectators.

...He was not an underdog at all, he moved up to fight a champion in a higher weight class.
I think the odds were 3:1 against Benn. Most people thought McClellan would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom