• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't games media crush a lack of ambition/creativity in todays games?

Where has the disgust for sameness gone?

• I'm with you OP. The lack of creativity and progress is a major issue today

• No OP, it is YOU who are wrong. If anything, the industry isn't focusing on reliable formula enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

Guilty_AI

I'm soooo sick of seeing wokeness derided on here when you're using the word wrong.

So sick.

Like, it's as if DeSantis put a flash card on your desk and told you to use it in as many ways as possible, even if it doesn't make any goshdamn sense.

Wtf does wokeness even mean in this context?

The repeatedly bumbling inane braying of this word I see on Gaf, and it's always used wrongly.

Newsflash - Game developers aren't creative like that because game development costs too much to risk deviating from acceptable standards + your fellow gamers keep buying what they ship so it reinforces their design decisions.

Nothing that deals with awareness of social and political dynamics(hint, that's what woke has meant for the last several decades it's been a thing) even touches on that.

Your comment doesn't even hold up under scrutiny.

You do understand that having different people present can largely bring in different viewpoints and point out things that others too mired in convention might miss, correct?

It's why focus groups are a thing, as sometimes there's a huge hole that everyone else was too high minded to recognize actually is a hole.

Urgghhhh.

929.gif

If every Street Fighter is basically the same game, then that can be applied to practically all games such as COD, Yakuza, Assassins Creed, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil, Dynasty Warriors, Tomb Raider, walking simulator, sports games, etc. As a matter of fact, I feel games like Street Fighter make more drastic changes to gameplay than most games and sequels these days that play almost the same as their predecessors.

DarthPutin

Because most of us don't care about revolutionizing the industry each couple of months, as long as games are good we are good.

This trend of remastering and remaking everything have been an absolute bless to me that have missed so many great experiences on previous years, I don't care about pushing the medium forward as much as having it releasing good games.
Same-ys. I haven't played those old classics and am glad to finally experience them with actually good graphics and controller of my choice.

I am also an odd one out in that I don't need particularly innovative and weird things (I am interested in them as someone who's interested in the medium's potential, less so as an actual player). Just give me better Witcher with more ways to approach missions, even move "live" world and more consequences and I am golden. You'd think we would be swimming in those, but nope. Usually a game does one thing very well but then something else will be off.

Wildebeest

Creativity and progress in the game industry means everyone chasing the same few trends and producing titles which are a soulless and indistinguishable mush. In the older days, there was more of a pioneering spirit where people just did things that they thought might be unique and appealing because they were different. Nobody could say they knew any better. Often they knocked these games out in a few months rather than 5+ years, so they were also less overproduced and stale on release. So in a way going back to the past can be more creative.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
Because most of us don't care about revolutionizing the industry each couple of months, as long as games are good we are good.
That's fine- only if the games aren't insipid stale garbage made for the lowest common denominator. But that's not the current industry.

Same-ys. I haven't played those old classics and am glad to finally experience them with actually good graphics and controller of my choice.
ugh

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Dead Space Remake
Metroid Prime Remastered
Resident Evil 4 Remake
...and now Diablo 4

Some of the highest rated games released in the last year are (essentially) from 1864. Does anyone else find this a bit problematic? Do we really think game design docs written by Johannes Guttenbergs peers are the pinnacle of the medium?

If I'm not mistaken, critics used to crush timid artistic endeavors with descriptors such as "banal", "uninspired", "formulaic", "cliche ridden" etc... Why has the concept of rewarding ambition, creativity, progress and punishing sameness been completely surrendered over the years?

I've heard 40+ year old games media members at large media companies say the following...

"I'm not a fighting game guy but I can't wait to play Street Fighter VI. It looks so good"

Um, it looks like all the other ones. All the other 2D fighters never grabbed you but your 43 year old *** is going to get into the new Street Fighter?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Men_in_Boxes, circa 2023

sf11.gif

street-fighter-v-image-7.jpg

822704121ecdb4ee2a71511f899ea2942595576d.gifv
I've been pounding this drum for years.

Most games are now sequels, ports, remasters, spinoffs or reboots.......companies don't want to take a risk in this day considering how much games cost to make.

Just look at all of the games coming out this year. Very few original games. As far as AAA games go, I don't think Nintendo or Sony have any new IP's.

Dead Space Remastered
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Metroid Prime Remastered
Octopath Traveler 2
Fire Emblem Engage
Advance Wars 1&2 Reboot
Dead Island 2
Zelda BOTW 2
Minecraft Legends
Diablo 4
Baldurs Gate 3
Spiderman 2
Forza 7
Star Wars Jedi Survivor (sequel to Jedi FO)
Darkest Dungeon 2
System Shock Remake
FF 16
Ghost Trick Remaster
Pikmin 4
Age of Empires 4
Alan Wake 2
Ark 2
Cities Skylines 2
Counterstrike 2
Like a Dragon Ishin (and Gaiden)
Lords of the Fallen
Disgaea 7
Stalker 2
Suidoden 1 & 2 Remaster

Plus a whole bunch of AA remakes and sequels

The only big new games out or coming out that are new IP's are:

Hogwarts Legacy
Starfield
Redfall
Suicide Squad
Crime Boss Rockay City
Deca Police

I know I've missed a lot here but my point is made.

You need new IPs to boost innovation and creativity. If you don't have new IP's now, you won't have sequels or spin offs later.

Too mush of a focus on sequels, remakes, remasters.....as well as GAAS and mobile crap. Plus that NFT nonsense.

EDIT: and another reason why publishers stick to these rehashes is that they are based on good games made by others...........they don't know HOW to make a good game now, as they are focused on the past.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

2 reasons. Games media get free copies of the games and have close relationships with the publishers. If ign couldn't get their day 1 review their entire business model would die

And the other reason is that these days you are more likely to get clicks out of moaning about diversity or moaning about spider-man having a police officer as a friend. You get both retards on both sides of political spectrum feeding and spreading your article like wildfire. Saying that redfall for example doesn't really bring a whole lot new to gaming won't garner huge clicks

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's fine- only if the games aren't insipid stale garbage made for the lowest common denominator. But that's not the current industry.

ugh
Even those are ok if people like them, I'm playing Quantum Break after spending 80+ hours with Sekiro and can definitely follow what you're saying, but these days gaming is so varied and diverse (in the good sense lol) that there's something for everyone, Industry is good for gamers imo

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Dead Space Remake
Metroid Prime Remastered
Resident Evil 4 Remake
...and now Diablo 4

Some of the highest rated games released in the last year are (essentially) from 1864. Does anyone else find this a bit problematic? Do we really think game design docs written by Johannes Guttenbergs peers are the pinnacle of the medium?

If I'm not mistaken, critics used to crush timid artistic endeavors with descriptors such as "banal", "uninspired", "formulaic", "cliche ridden" etc... Why has the concept of rewarding ambition, creativity, progress and punishing sameness been completely surrendered over the years?

I've heard 40+ year old games media members at large media companies say the following...

"I'm not a fighting game guy but I can't wait to play Street Fighter VI. It looks so good"

Um, it looks like all the other ones. All the other 2D fighters never grabbed you but your 43 year old *** is going to get into the new Street Fighter?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Men_in_Boxes, circa 2023

sf11.gif

street-fighter-v-image-7.jpg

822704121ecdb4ee2a71511f899ea2942595576d.gifv
Well I'm 51 and while I've been an MK fan since the first one, I've NEVER gotten into SF (closest was the SF2 Turbo-esque Ninja Turtle fighting game that was fantastic). But I am very interested in this new one. And it's for a few reasons:

#1- After reading a handful of interviews and previews, it sounds like there is a mid-range setting for Players who are not core fighting gamers but are also not noobs where you can still compete with a variety of other skilled Players. This describes me and I'd love to enjoy SF more than I've been capable of in the past.

#2- I genuinely want to get better at this specific style of fighter cause people rave about it. Perhaps this is the year I can actually get my head around it. Seems this version- with the single Player mode being semi robust and the addictive aspect of the lobby systems (you can gamble on fights, right?)- will aid in that.

Also, I was there playing KARATE CHAMP and YIE AR KUNG FU DAY ONE in the arcades and I've played the ORIGINAL Street Fighter with the MASSIVE BUTTONS when it first came out so back the fuck off cause I get a pass you FUCK!!!!! :)

JAFFE

Last edited:

mxbison

Because it’s all about diversity and wokeness nowadays. You can not be creative anymore without hurting a single person on the world with anything, so instead of being courageous and execute a possible winning vision, companies bend the knee and cowardly follow the woke rule set that forbids anything that’s creative.

Look at comedy movies the past few years or any movie as well. They’re 100% hurt safe, which means they are as uncreative and unfunny as you can get.

You think games have the same old copy & paste mechanics and design because of wokeness?

lol

DrFigs

This creative statis is the same thing we see in other types of media. Like the biggest movies now are all remakes or sequels. Even the billboard top 100 probably has less turnover rate than it used to. Probably a consequence of consolidation in these industries.

Last edited:

mxbison

Nope, that’s something completely else. I don’t know how you draw that conclusion. Seems you’re on a hate spree to me. Keep trying 🤣

Hate spree? Take off the tin foil hat.

I just think it's a silly statement and funny how everything and anything is a result of wokeness for some people.

If you take any of the generic AAA games and replace the woke character/story/theme with Duke Nukem, it's still a generic game with the same mechanics and game design as all the others.

Hate spree? Take off the tin foil hat.

I just think it's a silly statement and funny how everything and anything is a result of wokeness for some people.

If you take any of the generic AAA games and replace the woke character/story/theme with Duke Nukem, it's still a generic game with the same mechanics and game design as all the others.
Yes I also said somewhere later here that there are a lot of copies. Some of those games are good, but not original at all.

Dont like it- dont buy it.
There is room for everyone to eat.
You say that, but do you realize that if there weren't tens, or even hundreds of thousands of day one buyers for basically every game out there, this industry would collapse in on itself? That's why I say I appreciate the people who do that, but if it were dependent on people like me, it surely would fail.

CGNoire

I'm soooo sick of seeing wokeness derided on here when you're using the word wrong.

So sick.

Like, it's as if DeSantis put a flash card on your desk and told you to use it in as many ways as possible, even if it doesn't make any goshdamn sense.

Wtf does wokeness even mean in this context?

The repeatedly bumbling inane braying of this word I see on Gaf, and it's always used wrongly.

Newsflash - Game developers aren't creative like that because game development costs too much to risk deviating from acceptable standards + your fellow gamers keep buying what they ship so it reinforces their design decisions.

Nothing that deals with awareness of social and political dynamics(hint, that's what woke has meant for the last several decades it's been a thing) even touches on that.

Your comment doesn't even hold up under scrutiny.

You do understand that having different people present can largely bring in different viewpoints and point out things that others too mired in convention might miss, correct?

It's why focus groups are a thing, as sometimes there's a huge hole that everyone else was too high minded to recognize actually is a hole.

Urgghhhh.
Its because they feel hiring based on skin color and not on skills will rot the companys creative talent.
Is that some unreasonable assumption?.... Really?

Edellus

Maybe developers see the reaction of a franchise that likes to switch it up with every entry, such as Final Fantasy, where a very vocal section of the fanbase acts like they've been betrayed and say 1) "the last good final fantasy is..." 2) "not going to buy it, not interested anymore".

Saltiness aside, it's okay for people to prefer a certain type of games and be comfortable with improvements, rather than a complete reimagination for their favourite games' sequels. It's also major risk to do otherwise, for developers.

Personally, I only care if the game is entertaining (be it due to its gameplay, story, visuals, music, immersion, etc). I don't need or expect for them to reinvent things just for the sake of reinventing. That said, I do welcome it, as long as it works for me.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Basically all the best selling yearly releases are playing it extra derivative and extra safe.
And many of the non-yearly best-sellers are just as unoriginal - but they come out infrequently enough for people to think they're fresh all over again.

So apparently it's what the audiences want - for better or worse.

Oof85

Its because they feel hiring based on skin color and not on skills will rot the companys creative talent.
Is that some unreasonable assumption?.... Really?
There's a really ugly implication smack dab in the middle of your post that I'm gonna ignore because otherwise.... do you hear yourself?

People have failed upwards in every single industry known to man aside from maybe sports(not really though) but surely videogames are exempt.

Surely that's where the line is drawn.

Last edited:

CGNoire

There's a really ugly implication smack dab in the middle of your post that I'm gonna ignore because otherwise.... do you hear yourself?
If you dont think ideology leading them to hire based on skin color or LGBT association isnt hapening then just say so.
Because if someone else does it only makes sense they would come up with different opinions of the outcome. It doesnt matter how pure these peoples intent is. What there doing is wrong. Reverse Racism is Racism and giving a shit about it doesnt make one a racist.

Any implication your reading is 100% false and in your head.

CGNoire

People have failed upwards in every single industry known to man aside from maybe sports(not really though) but surely videogames are exempt.

Surely that's where the line is drawn.
Ok i see now why you read it that way. The fear isnt cause of precieved lack of skill in certain communitys its because woke ideologs dont care about art they cant turn into propoganda. If you think that then the next natural step is to be concerned how there implimentations of ideology in hiring effects quality.

If your cynical then you read it as "we dont think they have skills".
But its kinda choose your own adventure at that point.

Top Bottom