• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why doesn't games media crush a lack of ambition/creativity in todays games?

Where has the disgust for sameness gone?

• I'm with you OP. The lack of creativity and progress is a major issue today

• No OP, it is YOU who are wrong. If anything, the industry isn't focusing on reliable formula enough

Results are only viewable after voting.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I disagree here. The very foundation of humor is describing out of the ordinary situations. Todays best humor is like this comedy sketch: Yeh so I was walking into a store in the morning and the clerk said welcome. I did my groceries and when I paid the clerk said, thank you goodbye. “Waiting a second”, I know right?

Is this humor? No, is this what modern “humor” is, yes. Because it needs to be woke. And imagine even this situation offends people and needs to be cancelled because some person “not kidding here, it was in the news” felt offended entering a store because the clerk said welcome when he comes in. He got triggered by the word welcome!

Imagine, should the clerk be cancelled here? No, it’s the customer that choose to be offended by the word welcome. We are living in a crazy world now where the clerk needs to be fired because 1 person takes offense because of a completely stupid trigger.

The best humor is the most offensive in its very nature, and it’s not even really offensive, words are never offensive, it’s only people that choose to be offended.

Great comedies can not be made anymore because of this very reason, no more Austin Powers, no more The Interview, no more Tropic Thunder, not even something largely unoffensive like Seinfeld.
... we were talking about video games not comedies. and creative video games can be made while not being extremely offensive.

but if you wanna argue comedy, this key and peele skit is hilarious and is (mostly) non offensive

... we were talking about video games not comedies. and creative video games can be made while not being extremely offensive.

but if you wanna argue comedy, this key and peele skit is hilarious and is (mostly) non offensive

I was giving examples of why creativity goes out of the door completely nowadays, and it’s for both movies and games. Of course there can be some non offensive humor too, but in general it’s way less funny because of its inoffensive nature. There is a reason why the sentence “go woke, go broke” is a thing because it’s actually true in a majority of the cases.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I was giving examples of why creativity goes out of the door completely nowadays, and it’s for both movies and games. Of course there can be some non offensive humor too, but in general it’s way less funny because of its inoffensive nature. There is a reason why the sentence “go woke, go broke” is a thing because it’s actually true in a majority of the cases.
the thing is like... creative ideas don't necessarily have to be offensive. and most of the time, they aren't. I can't think of many franchises that are offensive to anyone who doesn't deserve it. South Park may seem offensive at first, but for the most part it isn't unless you're a redneck or a celebrity. some of the older episodes have aged like shit, but overall it's not that offensive. Blazing Saddles was offensive.... to racists. The Simpsons is just... not offensive. Unless you're a fat dumb lazy oaf, or an alcoholic, or an exploitative evil rich guy.

IDK, i don't watch very many comedies. But most creative and interesting ideas aren't very offensive. It's the execution of them that matters, and even that doesn't tend to be offensive unless you actually are intending to make it offensive.

like how many shows or movies or games can you name that on the surface of it are actually offending to one particular group? I can only really name one- Resident Evil 5. and that was a bad game anyways

Woopah

Old games and sequels can still be highly enjoyable to play. As long as they are fun to play they can still get high reviews.

Because it’s all about diversity and wokeness nowadays. You can not be creative anymore without hurting a single person on the world with anything, so instead of being courageous and execute a possible winning vision, companies bend the knee and cowardly follow the woke rule set that forbids anything that’s creative.

Look at comedy movies the past few years or any movie as well. They’re 100% hurt safe, which means they are as uncreative and unfunny as you can get.
I highly doubt that Metroid Prime remastered and Resident Evil 4 remake are getting good reviews because of "wokeness".

I Think You Should Leave

the thing is like... creative ideas don't necessarily have to be offensive. and most of the time, they aren't. I can't think of many franchises that are offensive to anyone who doesn't deserve it. South Park may seem offensive at first, but for the most part it isn't unless you're a redneck or a celebrity. some of the older episodes have aged like shit, but overall it's not that offensive. Blazing Saddles was offensive.... to racists. The Simpsons is just... not offensive. Unless you're a fat dumb lazy oaf, or an alcoholic, or an exploitative evil rich guy.

IDK, i don't watch very many comedies. But most creative and interesting ideas aren't very offensive. It's the execution of them that matters, and even that doesn't tend to be offensive unless you actually are intending to make it offensive.

like how many shows or movies or games can you name that on the surface of it are actually offending to one particular group? I can only really name one- Resident Evil 5. and that was a bad game anyways
You seem like a person that is not easily offended and that’s awesome. You can enjoy humor and that’s awesome. The problem is not you or I, but persons that are so intolerant to anything they start crusades to get their point.

And that’s what scares companies to be creative nowadays, because once you step on one of those peoples toes your product is doomed. Creating something awesome nowadays is like walking through a minefield of offended people, ready to explode for any misstep you make in their eyes. Their eyes I say, not actual missteps.

South Park is crazy offensive, well, not the last seasons anymore, but in the beginning it was. And nowadays you can’t make episodes like that anymore. South Park nowadays is not nearly as funny as old times, except for maybe the Harry and Meghan episode.

Old games and sequels can still be highly enjoyable to play. As long as they are fun to play they can still get high reviews.

I highly doubt that Metroid Prime remastered and Resident Evil 4 remake are getting good reviews because of "wokeness".
Don’t really see the wokeness in those games. They’re really good games, both of them. And yes they removed some cringe scenes, I wouldn’t call that woke. Creative they are not though since it’s just remakes of the old games and the thread is about why no one (aaa studios at least) creates creative games anymore nowadays.

Astral Dog

Not sure what are you talking about,thankfully i still find plenty of 'freshness' in gaming,alongside the outstanding sequels and remakes of classic games. maybe its about big western developers ,but that's nothing new

Generic

You seem like a person that is not easily offended and that’s awesome. You can enjoy humor and that’s awesome. The problem is not you or I, but persons that are so intolerant to anything they start crusades to get their point.

And that’s what scares companies to be creative nowadays, because once you step on one of those peoples toes your product is doomed. Creating something awesome nowadays is like walking through a minefield of offended people, ready to explode for any misstep you make in their eyes. Their eyes I say, not actual missteps.

South Park is crazy offensive, well, not the last seasons anymore, but in the beginning it was. And nowadays you can’t make episodes like that anymore. South Park nowadays is not nearly as funny as old times, except for maybe the Harry and Meghan episode.
IIRC the South Park creators apologized for doubting global warming.

While I disagree about gaas with op (I think live service is a plague to gaming), I will concede that there has been issues of not trying new things in gaming.

Look at thr ps1/n64 era. We had tons of cool new game types or trying out new things with the same franchise. Some worked, some didn't, some just needed more development.

Using Capcom as an example. Where is a new Megan man legends style game? Why hasn't there been a 3d or first person to behind camera fighting game? A 3d fighter with more than 1on 1. Like 4 on 4 in first person. Sure it may not work, but why not even go there? Hell we had a Dungeons and dragons Gothic setting 3d fighter with weapons. It had major issues but shit like that doesn't even happen today.

When diablo 3 was not out yet, I had invisoned more isometric overview with height and debth. We didn't get that, more of the same style (with many issues). They could of tried something else. Remember when Zelda wwnt from top down to side scrolling? Castlevania from timed arcade game to Simon's quest.

Or maybe they should keep the same gameplay for mainline games and just try new ideas on spinnoffs. Which is probably the right move there. Battlefield bad company rings a bell, but they don't make those type of side games any more, sadly.

Last edited:
is RE4 remake bad? I am seeing people blasting it in this thread
They probably haven't played it. It's amazing, I'm loving it. I was at first apprehensive about the knife durability as I lost it and ammo in the demo village area but full game makes other methods to use.

As for people saying it's pointless. Nah, those people just don't like remakes. They argue it takes away from new games but it doesn't as it's usually a different team making them. I personally love remakes ans ports of games to different systems. There is room for both.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
how so? I've watched pretty much every episode and while my memory of them is a bit hazy (i wouldn't become a fan until 2019-2020) i can't recall many moments in specific where south park was offensive to a group that didn't deserve it. there were the 2 global warming episodes (which the creators apologized for and admit were bad)

Super Best Friends depicted muhammad but the depiction of a god isn't exactly offensive in my eyes. There was the rainforest episode which i will concede, can be pretty offensive to people who like the planet- it's insensitive. It didn't stop me from laughing at the rainforest song though

There were plenty of episodes where Eric Cartman basically becomes a Nazi/does some pretty offensive shit, but in pretty much every one of them he never gets what he wants. Beat up, losing everything, etc. He's the punching bag of the show, too. He's never exhonorated or beloved. People find him ugly. He gets called fat all the time (because he is) He was so fucking stupid once he ended up in a pedo association. He got beat up because he made fun of breast cancer. Everytime he does something that can be considered awful he gets retribution for it. You're typically laughing at him for being a massive retard.

Token (or Tolkien, now) isn't even a black stereotype. He's a smart black kid who lives in a gigantic mansion with a big house and gets great grades in school. There was the one time in the pandemic episode where he was shot by a police officer... but that was making fun of the police, not token for being black. Chef was also another black character who was beloved and respectable. He was left in season 10 because reasons (something something scientology) but he's a good person despite all of that. Hell, even Mr. Garrison had a whole character arc about coming to accept the fact that he was gay. This is the show that's so offensive??

Last edited:
how so? I've watched pretty much every episode and while my memory of them is a bit hazy (i wouldn't become a fan until 2019-2020) i can't recall many moments in specific where south park was offensive to a group that didn't deserve it. there were the 2 global warming episodes (which the creators apologized for and admit were bad)

Super Best Friends depicted muhammad but the depiction of a god isn't exactly offensive in my eyes. There was the rainforest episode which i will concede, can be pretty offensive to people who like the planet- it's insensitive. It didn't stop me from laughing at the rainforest song though

There were plenty of episodes where Eric Cartman basically becomes a Nazi/does some pretty offensive shit, but in pretty much every one of them he never gets what he wants. Beat up, losing everything, etc. He's the punching bag of the show, too. He's never exhonorated or beloved. People find him ugly. He gets called fat all the time (because he is) He was so fucking stupid once he ended up in a pedo association. Everytime he does something that can be considered awful he gets retribution for it. You're typically laughing at him for being a massive retard.

Token (or Tolkien, now) isn't even a black stereotype. He's a smart black kid who lives in a gigantic mansion with a big house and gets great grades in school. There was the one time in the pandemic episode where he was shot by a police officer... but that was making fun of the police, not token for being black. Chef was also another black character who was beloved and respectable. He was left in season 10 because reasons (something something scientology) but he's a good person despite all of that. Hell, even Mr. Garrison had a whole character arc about coming to accept the fact that he was gay. This is the show that's so offensive??
As I said, maybe not offensive for you but there are a lot of people that can take offense with about almost everything in every episode. That’s the problem. Not you, but the always offended people. Yester year you would just not watch something if you don’t like it and let the people that do like it watch.

Every situation you described can not be made into episodes anymore current day because woke people will cancel it immediately and completely, as intolerant as they are. I agree with you they are hilarious though. I love me some good South Park episodes.

Generic

They probably haven't played it. It's amazing, I'm loving it. I was at first apprehensive about the knife durability as I lost it and ammo in the demo village area but full game makes other methods to use.

As for people saying it's pointless. Nah, those people just don't like remakes. They argue it takes away from new games but it doesn't as it's usually a different team making them. I personally love remakes ans ports of games to different systems. There is room for both.
I played the demo, it's worse than the original. Don't see the point of paying 70$ on it. Maybe I will get it for 10$ in the future.

kingyala

Banned
the reason why theres lack of innovation and creativity is 1. cancel culture... studios are afraid to experiment and innovate fresh stuff because they might get canceled unless the new stuff complies with current political norms like woke culture.. good example hogwarts!...

2. game production cost.. games have gotten bigger and ever ambitious games take more time to create if the goal is cinematic quality graphics and mechanics, even though game engines have gotten easier for much of the stuff but game assets have gotten larger.. back in the days you just had to hand draw textures and this days you have to motion capture animations, go out to mexico and photo everything from rocks to ants and go back to germany and record every car sounds in a track..

3. optimization budget, its hard enough to make a game to take advantage of ps5, series x and pc than focus on one of those platforms but making an ambitious game that has to fully push those platforms and also run intended on a series s, steam deck and sometimes ps4 and xbone... to put it simply the budget isnt there. so we get mediocre games instead... like ragnarok, forbiden west, re4 whatever cross gen crap thats in the market...

4. Lack of good artists, Most big companies have swallowed smaller companies and studios,, smaller companies tend to be original and ambitious, think of it like if it was you creating your game.. you would put all the passion and imagination into making that game... like minecraft a wonderful work of art developed passionately by one guy and now its swallowed by microsoft, tetris was also invented by a russian computer engineer and since then every company made a form of tetris instead of design their own unique games.. so basically big companies only care about profits, they dont care about your ambitions or passion. they just want that money, and they will do everything to secure their cash if that means introducing woke stuff to games, support some political cause or do some gambling service... you name it... i call this communistic capitalism..

5. My last one is the centralization of the video games industry... weve had stories/ games made by and from western europe mainly uk, japan and the us and a bit from eastern europe but not alot or good stories are made and told by africans, asians and the rest of the world.. the video game industry still remains monopolized by the west... the rest of the world will get there some day but itll take a while.. similar to how films are mainly from hollywood while music is everywhere..

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
5. My last one is the centralization of the video games industry... weve had stories/ games made by and from western europe mainly uk, japan and the us and a bit from eastern europe but not alot or good stories are made and told by africans, asians and the rest of the world.. the video game industry still remains monopolized by the west... the rest of the world will get there some day but itll take a while.. similar to how films are mainly from hollywood while music is everywhere..
this is an amazing point and one i feel like isnt addressed enough on the board. where's the singaporean video games, the nigerian video games, the vietnamese, carribean, indian, etc. These people can have a different approach and perspective to gaming thanks to their different cultures and locations.

There are many other parts of the world with different cultures that could really make a new and original video game but because they're so expensive, difficult and time consuming to make and those countries are so overexploited, no one over there can truly afford it... imagine how much diverse the indie game scene could be if it were millions of people around the world making video games and not mostly westerners and europeans

Last edited:

kingyala

Banned
this is an amazing point and one i feel like isnt addressed enough on the board. where's the south korean video games, the nigerian video games, the vietnamese, carribean, etc. These people can have a different approach and perspective to gaming thanks to their different cultures and locations.

There are many other parts of the world with different cultures that could really make a new and original video game but because they're so expensive, difficult and time consuming to make and those countries are so overexploited, no one over there can truly afford it... imagine how much diverse the indie game scene could be if it were millions of people around the world making video games and not mostly westerners and europeans
yep thats the problem.. video game is an expensive form of art... i grew up in africa and every pc game i had was pirated this includes whatever my friends where playing and also even my college teachers used pirated copies of windows, photoshop, maya and all so even college professors cant afford the software.. not only that out of all my friends i was the only one with a capable pc to even work with blender and maya... this was 2010.. not much has changed today though... a ps5 is 500£ in africa thats a professional teacher monthly salary or 2 months salary in some places, so imagine the barier to entry in making a studio pc to then make games

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Creativity this game.

bYWlb60.jpg

daveonezero

Banned
Because it’s all about diversity and wokeness nowadays. You can not be creative anymore without hurting a single person on the world with anything, so instead of being courageous and execute a possible winning vision, companies bend the knee and cowardly follow the woke rule set that forbids anything that’s creative.

Look at comedy movies the past few years or any movie as well. They’re 100% hurt safe, which means they are as uncreative and unfunny as you can get.
Yeah the media helped this happen and are complicite

Flabagast

I mean, 10 years old remakes that bring nothing to the table are the games which are the most praised nowadays, and if you look closely all the new recent IPs that came out the last 6 months, although flawed, were utterly crushed and despised by the common consensus. There is nothing to expect from gaming press and your average deadbrain neogaffer (several of whom already made an appearance in this thread) to move the medium forward, utterly nothing.

Last edited:

Generic

this is an amazing point and one i feel like isnt addressed enough on the board. where's the singaporean video games, the nigerian video games, the vietnamese, carribean, indian, etc. These people can have a different approach and perspective to gaming thanks to their different cultures and locations.

Different cultures are irrelevant when the game design is the same. Most brazillian indies just repeat what other major devs (USA, Europe, Japan) already did in the past. This isn't about cultures, most people simply don't crave for innovation and are fine with following tested and approved design choices.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Because most of us don't care about revolutionizing the industry each couple of months, as long as games are good we are good.

This trend of remastering and remaking everything have been an absolute bless to me that have missed so many great experiences on previous years, I don't care about pushing the medium forward as much as having it releasing good games.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Costs are higher, and so the risk is higher.

The seeking of safer investments was pretty much a given, and it will grow even more vast.

At the end of the day all I care about is if what I'm playing is fun in some way, not going over a list to see how new it is compared to other things.

Raonak

Banned
It's because the medium is old enough now where new genres and actually gameplay innovations are hard to come up with.
Even indie games are starting to slow down in terms of uniqueness.

or if you want a braindead take, blame it on wokeness or something.

The gaming industry definitely does have creativity issues undoubtedly, but it’s still better the movie industry with their butchered remakes, sequels and weekly Marvel/DC/comic book movies.
Yeah the movie studios are way worse today. We at least get some original ip, and our remakes aren't all race /gender swapped (not yet), to appease a "new modern audience", while it kicks the original fans to the curb.

I want to see more original good stories and ideas. We get them in indy games and a lot of Japanese and Eastern European AA/AAA and indie games. US and western Europe haven't been to great over the last 5 years. I blame consolidation
EA, microsoft, Sony buying studios out and forcing agendas to match Twitter weirdos.

daveonezero

Banned
At the end of the day all I care about is if what I'm playing is fun in some way, not going over a list to see how new it is compared to other things.
Exactly. There are so many games to play these days.

I’m playing remakes on switch and the rpgs are 100s of hours long and still fun.

Trails to Zero is in my list after Xenoblade DE and Neir.

All remakes of games I never played.

And from there I have more games to play that are similar

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So tired of this BS about lack of creativity/ambition...

Every time I hear about ambition, i picture a megalomaniac pretentious workaholic who thinks his game will cure humanity disease and demands it's team to work itself to death over shit that only excites the market department, but fall flat on people who actually know their gaming right. "This time, your decisions will totally affect the game". "The biggest world we ever created". Shut up with that shit.

Every time I hear about creativity, i know the person saying it only consumes mainstream shit and refuses to acknowledge more timid effort. It takes two won game of the year not too long ago, and you tell me media don't rewards creativity enough?
I really can't blame gaming sites for talking about shit that people actually know and eat up. They are not responsible for your entertainment choice, but the rethoric is true.

Gaming for those who live out of it is work. Remember that.

Pejo

There's not a group or collective of professionals I dislike more than gaming media.

I don't really have more to add, just wanted to get that out.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dead Space Remake
Metroid Prime Remastered
Resident Evil 4 Remake
...and now Diablo 4

Some of the highest rated games released in the last year are (essentially) from 1864. Does anyone else find this a bit problematic? Do we really think game design docs written by Johannes Guttenbergs peers are the pinnacle of the medium?
Wait, you mean to tell me amazing, best in class games remain amazing best in class games? Wow, who could have guessed!

Also Diablo IV is a brand new game. Not like the other 3 that you mentioned. At least have consistency.

If I'm not mistaken, critics used to crush timid artistic endeavors with descriptors such as "banal", "uninspired", "formulaic", "cliche ridden" etc... Why has the concept of rewarding ambition, creativity, progress and punishing sameness been completely surrendered over the years?\
Games Media/Gaming "Journalism" has been shit since 2010. Even before that it wasn't great.

I've heard 40+ year old games media members at large media companies say the following...

"I'm not a fighting game guy but I can't wait to play Street Fighter VI. It looks so good"

Um, it looks like all the other ones. All the other 2D fighters never grabbed you but your 43 year old *** is going to get into the new Street Fighter?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Men_in_Boxes, circa 2023
Then you are a clown. At least try a little harder with your trolling shtick.

Oof85

I'm soooo sick of seeing wokeness derided on here when you're using the word wrong.

So sick.

Like, it's as if DeSantis put a flash card on your desk and told you to use it in as many ways as possible, even if it doesn't make any goshdamn sense.

Wtf does wokeness even mean in this context?

The repeatedly bumbling inane braying of this word I see on Gaf, and it's always used wrongly.

Newsflash - Game developers aren't creative like that because game development costs too much to risk deviating from acceptable standards + your fellow gamers keep buying what they ship so it reinforces their design decisions.

Nothing that deals with awareness of social and political dynamics(hint, that's what woke has meant for the last several decades it's been a thing) even touches on that.

Your comment doesn't even hold up under scrutiny.

You do understand that having different people present can largely bring in different viewpoints and point out things that others too mired in convention might miss, correct?

It's why focus groups are a thing, as sometimes there's a huge hole that everyone else was too high minded to recognize actually is a hole.

Urgghhhh.

Last edited:
Japan has made remakes and enhanced editions since the dawn of time. The fire emblem 1 remake for the snes comes to mind as an example. But yes, I would like less remakes and more brand new IPs

Top Bottom