• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't controllers have power buttons?

Odoul

This is something that's irked me since this generation of supposed entertainment centers. Why is there no power buttons on either the pad or remote for any system? Is it too expensive or bulky?

There's nothing worse than finishing a game/movie and either having to get off the bed or try to sleep through a loud ass DVD drive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cue the x360. you can turn it on or off using the controller. but yeah, it took way too long to get this feature into the controllers

skip

I don't wanna accidentally hit the power button in the middle of a game. I'm just not that smart.

maybe they could have it to where just pressing it quickly doesnt turn it off but rather you need to hold it down for a couple seconds. that could prevent people from accidently turning their system off

black_13

Banned
Odoul said:
This is something that's irked me since this generation of supposed entertainment centers. Why is there no power buttons on either the pad or remote for any system? Is it too expensive or bulky?

There's nothing worse than finishing a game/movie and either having to get off the bed or try to sleep through a loud ass DVD drive.
why? so you would get off your fat a** every once in a while and do a little exercise.

I can already tell. The number of obese people in NA is going to up hugely next gen as the XB 360 controller has a power button.

Vormund

black_13 said:
why? so you would get off your fat a** every once in a while and do a little exercise.

I can already tell. The number of obese people in NA is going to up hugely next gen as the XB 360 controller has a power button.

Well they have to get up to change games right? (unless it's modded) :D

cvxfreak

Yes, this lack of feature has irked me since the PS2 came out. =/ It wouldn't and couldn't apply to the GC, but hopefully the PS3 and Rev have such a feature.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Quite a stupid question. The controller is not a self powered device, so how exactly is it going to send a signal to the console to turn it on? Magic? :lol

The 360 controllers are self powered, hence the capability, but really man use your brain.

Odoul

Schafer said:
Quite a stupid question. The controller is not a self powered device, so how exactly is it going to send a signal to the console to turn it on? Magic? :lol

The 360 controllers are self powered, hence the capability, but really man use your brain.
So I guess the I don't see a light on the controller when the PS2 is in sleep mode? I guess it's impossible for the same Xbox I have to reprogram the clock for everytime I unplug it to send some power to the controller?

Jesus does EVERYONE have to be a nutsac in the rush to look funny?

Bigfoot

Schafer said:
I'm guessing you have never heard of turning on your PC with your keyboard. If a console maker wanted too, it would be easy to let people turn on their consoles with corded controllers.

Zaptruder

Banned
Schafer said:

Why the hell does a controller need to be a self powered device?

It can easily designed so that the console sends a low power signal to the controller while on standby and plugged in and for the controller to send a power on signal to the console.

In fact, that's what ATX powerswitches are; they're just mounted inside the case.

I think it's funny that people consider getting up to change a game excersize. Somehow they think not having to do that will make them gain more weight.

"Oh no, now that these 4 seconds out of the day I would spend doing something barely mobile will be replaced with complete immobility...I'm going to have to diet in order to make up for the 3/10ths of a calorie I won't be burning off. I suppose I can spare to leave half a noddle on my plate of my spaghetti dinner."

Having a power button on a controller will not make you fat, it will not make your muscles atrophy, and liking the feature does not make you a loser, someone who hates excersize, or an inherently bad person. Don't worry.

EDIT-
Well, Zap, if it's wireless, it does have to be self powered unless you've found some way to shoot a stream of electrons out of the console to the controller in order to power it. If you're talking about corded controllers though you're absolutely right.

X360 turns on with the logo button in the center of the controller, but to turn it off you have to go to the GUI and select it IIRC. There shouldn't be accidental shut offs.

Pedigree Chum said:
X360 turns on with the logo button in the center of the controller, but to turn it off you have to go to the GUI and select it IIRC. There shouldn't be accidental shut offs.

I'm fairly sure this is correct. The button on the center isn't specifically a power button, it's the "live" button (I think that's what they call it atleast).

acoustix

your cookie montser avatar kicks f*ckin ass.

Anywho, I dont want a power button on my controller. Mainly because I leave my other controllers connected and lying on the floor. My dog through mastery of his fat paws will inveriably step right on the power button at some crucial gaming moment.

Quartet

power buton on the pad is no good idea!

every body that played a nintendo with a smart kid going "select" crazy know what i mean.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember if you wanted to pause a game for Master System, you had to get up and hit pause on the console... I hope I got that right.

Vormund

Schafer said:

I can turn on my PC using my wireless keyboard. :p

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I like the idea not because of laziness, but because it means I can go to bed and play a game without having to get up before I want to fall asleep. Like watching tv when you go to bed.

DJ_Tet

Banned
God's Hand said:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I remember if you wanted to pause a game for Master System, you had to get up and hit pause on the console... I hope I got that right.

Good call :) I had forgotten about that. What a useless place for a pause :lol

150ff.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
morbidaza said:
Well, Zap, if it's wireless, it does have to be self powered unless you've found some way to shoot a stream of electrons out of the console to the controller in order to power it. If you're talking about corded controllers though you're absolutely right.

Erm... you realise a wireless controller that isn't powered is a none working controller right?

fallout

skip said:
I don't wanna accidentally hit the power button in the middle of a game. I'm just not that smart.
This mentality always confused me. I've owned handhelds for over a decade now and I've never accidently shut one off. Same goes for the Wavebird, although I've only owned the for a few years.

Pellham

Banned

You can turn a computer off using a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, so stop with the bullshit.
There's no reason why shutting a console down has to be a HARDWARE switch. It can easily be done through software.

And wait, aren't all wireless devices self-powered? You do realize that all wireless devices use batteries, right?

ChrisReid

You've got him backwards. That's what he's saying, that self powered stuff easily triggers on/off. He's saying if it's not self powered it's impossible (which it evidently isn't, but that's a different subject).

Ponn

Banned
I have always loved the eject button remotes. Yay, it ejects the tray with the disc remotely, now what? I've tried tripping people walking by but its just not long enough or quick enough.

Top Bottom