• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why gaming companies require personal info for accounts?

angrod14

In view of the recent news about Sony being hacked again (I know this time the employees are the affected, but still), I wonder why do these companies bother to gather and "protect" (or at least, try to) personal information about their customers. Their TOS demand accurate, full, personal info, including address, name, etc. Why? That's such a huge liabiility for them. They even have the precedent of being wrecked by lawsuits for the major PSN leaks a decade ago, where personal info of users was precicely compromised.

Nintendo also requires the same in their TOS. Putting "false" or "innacurate" info, which might simply be done with the noble intention of protecting personal info, is a breach of the terms to them. Why not just let people create anonymous accounts? What about setting PSN cards as the only payment method? It's not like they're going to suit you for a breach of their TOS or something, they just ban you. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They sell the information to governments, that's why. How else are these tech startups surviving if allegedly don't profit for years?

Well, it doesn't matter as long as you have to purchase something, since you'd need to put payment details anyway.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
They sell the information to governments, that's why. How else are these tech startups surviving if allegedly don't profit for years?

Well, it doesn't matter as long as you have to purchase something, since you'd need to put payment details anyway.
The government doesn't need to buy your personal information. They already have it by virtue of you being a citizen. They can have judges force companies to hand it over for free.

Ev1L AuRoN

Platform holders are basically marketplaces and to do business they need your personal info. Why? Basically, they are compelled by governments for tax reasons. Also, cred card companies demand it as part of the identification of the transaction.

DragonNCM

Because your personal info is more valuable than your money
Yes
Based on your age, gaming habits, online play, your spending on games they can project their investments in next games.
You guys thinking they invest in games looking in tarot cards ?

Because of the risk of fraud, the requirement to take non-cash payment, and sales tax reporting. Why burden the user by asking them info just as they are about to access the store or make a purchase? That seems like a UI 101 no-no.

And if you are making exceptions with anonymous accounts, that might come back to bite you later. Do you store all of the info in the same way or in the same database? Even if they were contained in different databases, do you have any way of ensuring the appropriate data is being collected and accessed in accordance with each type of account’s data policy? There are serious regulations and since these companies are global businesses, they will design around and comply with the strictest common ground.

I understand your position, but as you can see it’s so much easier to avoid the problem altogether. And most people won’t care either way.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The government doesn't need to buy your personal information. They already have it by virtue of you being a citizen. They can have judges force companies to hand it over for free.
I mean, other governments and entities, including corporations, ONGs and whatnot. Also, there are lots of information a single entity cannot catch properly, like some specific behavior patterns or some internet aliases.

GrayDock

Some (most) countries require that by law if you want to make any transactions with money involved, and, in some rare cases, police and other forces might need it to get to you.

MarkMe2525

You think the government needs to buy your personal information? I don't believe big bro is monitoring me or anything (I'm irrelevant), but they could easily do so if they were motivated to.

X-Wing

In view of the recent news about Sony being hacked again (I know this time the employees are the affected, but still), I wonder why do these companies bother to gather and "protect" (or at least, try to) personal information about their customers. Their TOS demand accurate, full, personal info, including address, name, etc. Why? That's such a huge liabiility for them. They even have the precedent of being wrecked by lawsuits for the major PSN leaks a decade ago, where personal info of users was precicely compromised.

Nintendo also requires the same in their TOS. Putting "false" or "innacurate" info, which might simply be done with the noble intention of protecting personal info, is a breach of the terms to them. Why not just let people create anonymous accounts? What about setting PSN cards as the only payment method? It's not like they're going to suit you for a breach of their TOS or something, they just ban you. I don't get it.

If financial transactions are involved then they need this information and it's a far better practice (for user experience) to have this associated with your account than to ask you for this information every time you make a purchase.

It is also a way to make sure that you aren't evading taxes by purchasing things on other territories than the one you live in. It's also useful for age verification and can be useful to help you recover your account in case of account theft.

Wether you fill the forms with your real information or not is up to you, they have a limited ability to check if it is correct but if you provide false information and you later have issues with your account then they probably won't be able to help you.

Because your personal info is more valuable than your money

Because YOU are the product they sell, not the client.

Sinners You Need Jesus GIF

Last edited:

Drew1440

I believe credit card and payment companies require it as part of their fraud protection, which is why companies require your name and address.

Neither Sony nor Microsoft got my real name and data and there has never been problem with that. As long I buy my budget with cards from third party sellers, I don’t see a need to give them any more information.

Top Bottom