• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is it so hard for devs to make good fps aim with a controller?

soulbait

Don't blame the game; blame your thumbs.

Seriously. PC games do aim differently and react differently to a mouse, but you are able to more quickly adapt to that, because you have more precise control over a mouse due to the use of your wrist and entire hand to control the mouse, along with no limits on the space you can move the mouse (besides your desk size). Controller? Just your thumb with a lot smaller space to move.

the aiming on controller in them is pretty terrible tho. if you played all the games you listed above without aim assist you would quickly know why I say that 😬

If they are designed for aim assist, they wouldn't play well without them.

And designing a good feeling aim assist isn't easy either, few games get it right.

I don't consider aim assist inherently bad. It just make them casual friendly. Would rather play Halo than something like Animal Crossing.

TrebleShot

What? WASD and space bar is a contortion?

Have you actually spent much time doing this or just watched gamers fingers clacking away at a keyboard and felt intimidated?

You can actually hold the left side of a controller with your left hand while using a mouse so that you have analog movement and map some buttons. But I don't think it's that worth it, the keyboard is totally sufficient.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: No I wasn't intimidated, I used to main PC for BF1942 through to BF3 then lost interest so I know fully well you can get used to it but it isn't an analogue process and were talking about movement in a computer game, its not intimidating is it.

An analogue stick will always be superior to binary keys and far more accurate. But no one in here is a competitive gamer making hundreds of thousands in competitions so its not that important or deep.

Banned
Don't blame the game; blame your thumbs.

Seriously. PC games do aim differently and react differently to a mouse, but you are able to more quickly adapt to that, because you have more precise control over a mouse due to the use of your wrist and entire hand to control the mouse, along with no limits on the space you can move the mouse (besides your desk size). Controller? Just your thumb with a lot smaller space to move.

you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

also while mouse aiming does feel a little different in each game, the differences are almost completely irrelevant and if a game feels really different it's usually due to activated mouse acceleration, which you should always turn off...
some shooters on PC in the last don't let you turn mouse acceleration off, which is comparable to games with bad aiming on a controller like Halo Infinite or even worse stuff like Deathloop

Roberts

I usually don't have problems with aiming in any of the games mentioned here, but I tried Back 4 Blood when it came out and couldn't aim for shit. Fiddled around with settings. Got even worse before it got better, but I never really nailed it. Did any of you have the same issue with the game?

Banned
If they are designed for aim assist, they wouldn't play well without them.

And designing a good feeling aim assist isn't easy either, few games get it right.

I don't consider aim assist inherently bad. It just make them casual friendly. Would rather play Halo than something like Animal Crossing.

it's not about aim assist being bad or if a game is designed around it or not.
simply the act of moving the right stick to aim has to feel good imo, and it simply doesn't feel good at all in Halo Infinite or Destiny.

that's why they have that massive amount of aim assist in the first place. for real, in Halo Infinite you can take the Battle Rifle and aim very clearly above the head of your enemy and still get a headshot. I'm talking ~1.5x the diameter of your reticle above...

there's 1 weapon that is different tho, the Commando.
the Commando in Halo Infinite is hated by many, a lot of people call it just a worse version of the Battle Rifle.
the reality of it on the other hand is that the Commando is in fact objectively the better gun. it's more precise at a distance and has a faster Time To Kill than the Battle Rifle.

so why does everyone think it's the worse gun when in fact it's objectively better?
simple, it doesn't have as much aim assist as the Battle Rifle, and because the aiming in Halo Infinite is so shit, people can't hit shots with it on a controller, which is how the majority of players play the game.

In Halo Infinite, just to make it fair for Mouse players, even on a Mouse you have aim assist (because you could literally not compete on mouse if you didn't have that) so even Mouse players prefer the Battle Rifle because they have a shitload of aim assist on top of having the benefits of mouse aiming

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I usually don't have problems with aiming in any of the games mentioned here, but I tried Back 4 Blood when it came out and couldn't aim for shit. Fiddled around with settings. Got even worse before it got better, but I never really nailed it. Did any of you have the same issue with the game?
Yeah. It's a damn shame Redfall wont have gyro, or Deathloop, because they look like they could be pretty fun at high speed.

it's not about aim assist being bad or if a game is designed around it or not.
simply the act of moving the right stick to aim has to feel good imo, and it simply doesn't feel good at all in Halo Infinite or Destiny.

that's why they have that massive amount of aim assist in the first place. for real, in Halo Infinite you can take the Battle Rifle and aim very clearly above the head of your enemy and still get a headshot. I'm talking ~1.5x the diameter of your reticle above...

there's 1 weapon that is different tho, the Commando.
the Commando in Halo Infinite is hated by many, a lot of people call it just a worse version of the Battle Rifle.
the reality of it on the other hand is that the Commando is in fact objectively the better gun. it's more precise at a distance and has a faster Time To Kill than the Battle Rifle.

so why does everyone think it's the worse gun when in fact it's objectively better?
simple, it doesn't have as much aim assist as the Battle Rifle, and because the aiming in Halo Infinite is so shit, people can't hit shots with it on a controller, which is how the majority of players play the game.

In Halo Infinite, just to make it fair for Mouse players, even on a Mouse you have aim assist (because you could literally not compete on mouse if you didn't have that) so even Mouse players prefer the Battle Rifle because they have a shitload of aim assist on top of having the benefits of mouse aiming

OOygPGe.gif

That's some serious belittling of GAF goty that won it based on gameplay.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I turn aim assist off for any game I can when using a controller and have no issue.

Siege has some of the best FPS aiming on any game imo. Titanfall 2 and Apex Legends was also really good. Battlefield V is another one.

Some games just had bad aiming feel or some weird aim acceleration that you can't turn off.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Have to say mouse is king for aim with Gyro very very close behind, but the whole thing is killed when you have to use a keyboard for movement, its fucking backwards ass way of doing things.

On one hand you have a precise 1-1 tool in the other you have binary off/on clunky keys where you have to distort your natural hand position and grip to even do basic manoeuvres.

Amazed in 2022 someone hasn't been able to comfortably combine controller type movement and action buttons with precision of a mouse.
You are doing it extremely wrong if you distort your hand.

BlackTron

:messenger_tears_of_joy: No I wasn't intimidated, I used to main PC for BF1942 through to BF3 then lost interest so I know fully well you can get used to it but it isn't an analogue process and were talking about movement in a computer game, its not intimidating is it.

An analogue stick will always be superior to binary keys and far more accurate. But no one in here is a competitive gamer making hundreds of thousands in competitions so its not that important or deep.

I think keyboard pairs with mouse better than analog. While using the mouse, I find it feels better to have the binary 4 directions. You still have infinite diagonals by using it in conjunction with the mouse. It allows you to focus on your main tool (the mouse) while you get keys on the left hand that create the same movement/speed/crosshair movement EVERY TIME. In this way it's similar to the benefit of C buttons in Goldeneye, you always strafe at the same reliable speed, with no up/down movement, because it's a button.

So instead of measuring the degree of pressure on the stick AND the mouse at the same time, you can focus entirely on mouse control while your left hand creates the same dependable movement with muscle memory that can pair with the mouse action the same way, every time its executed.

TLDR keyboard is probably preferred both because it's easier for new players AND more precise in its own way for competitive.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

More accurate how?

You'd think aim-assist would be on the wane given recent controllers have much tighter analogs then what we had just a couple of generations ago with PS3/X360 and earlier. BF4 on PC is a good use case if anyone wants to try a game without aim assist on a controller - its controller implementation is so half baked the button icons don't even change from keyboard. You may be surprised if using something like a Series X controller once settings are dialled in

With mouse you have it on a surface making consistent and "still" movements. With a wimote you hands makes too inconsistent movements on the air aiming the pointer. Worse if you have some "shaking hands", like me. And to turn you have to take the crosshair off the screen on Wii games, making turn slow and a pain because you lose the crosshair on the screen while turning.
I see your point, but I think it mainly comes down to how you use it and have it setup. With the PS Move I didn't really use it as a pointer per se and played sat down with my arms resting on my knees - that way all aiming is done with small wrist movements. Turning was dealt with by suitably increasing sensitivity or the zone so then it became a simple flick of the wrist and using strafe to track enemies instead of turning makes it easier still.

With the setup tuned this way I never really had the issues you mentioned and was as close to playing with a mouse on console back then, which is why I view it the way I do. To be honest some developers probably viewed it similarly and tried balancing things on PS3, I distinctly remember MAG at least having increased bullet spread when using the Move over a controller.

Shifty

What? WASD and space bar is a contortion?
Solution for those affected: Use ESDF instead and free up the A key for your pinky instead of having to hover it over left shift. Not only is it more comfortable (and keeps you in proper touch-typing pose, which is general good KB practice), but you also gain some more usable keys for other functions.

Playing Doom 2016 like this with weapons mapped to QWRTAGZXVB is borderline game breaking with the quick switching combos you can pull off.

due to a similar post in another thread I did a little experiment.
I went into Splitgate which I hadn't played on controller for more than 9 months (I only played it on controller for about 2 weeks after the game launched on consoles) and then turned off Aim Assist and queued up into a Gun Game match.

Splitgate has almost no aiming settings either, only speed and deadzones can be adjusted, and it doesn't have reaction curve settings, so all in all not very optimal for my tastes, but it's not bad overall, so I gave it a try

here's the result of playing Splitgate on controller for the first time in months and queuing in without aim assist...
it was also the first game I played after a patch came out, meaning UE4 being UE4, there are some shader stutters

the actual match starts about 2min in and before that you can see me warm up in the pre match lobby

(Zielhilfe Stärke = Aim Assist strength)

and here after roughly an hour of playing without aim assist, a Swat Pistols match... not a fan of Swat Pistols because the pistol in Splitgate has random spread, meaning aiming someone dead on the head can still result in the bullet missing or hitting the body hitbox instead

(I had to mute the audio because I had Spotify on in the background and YouTube didn't like that)

So based on this, what conclusion do you draw? I'm not very familiar with Splitgate, so I don't have many inferences to make outside of recognizing the big #1 at the end.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You'd think aim-assist would be on the wane given recent controllers have much tighter analogs then what we had just a couple of generations ago with PS3/X360 and earlier. BF4 on PC is a good use case if anyone wants to try a game without aim assist on a controller - its controller implementation is so half baked the button icons don't even change from keyboard. You may be surprised if using something like a Series X controller once settings are dialled in

I see your point, but I think it mainly comes down to how you use it and have it setup. With the PS Move I didn't really use it as a pointer per se and played sat down with my arms resting on my knees - that way all aiming is done with small wrist movements. Turning was dealt with by suitably increasing sensitivity or the zone so then it became a simple flick of the wrist and using strafe to track enemies instead of turning makes it easier still.

With the setup tuned this way I never really had the issues you mentioned and was as close to playing with a mouse on console back then, which is why I view it the way I do. To be honest some developers probably viewed it similarly and tried balancing things on PS3, I distinctly remember MAG at least having increased bullet spread when using the Move over a controller.
What game, for example?

What game, for example?

Online shooters like Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Socom and MAG were the main ones I played using the Move back then. Each one could be setup in the same way I described above. To be fair most games I played using the move could be done in the same way, from Resi 5 to a strategy like Ruse, only time I used it in a more traditional 'pointer' sense would be when I got a discounted Sharpshooter from a Game store closing down - but it got boxed back up after a couple of missions on Killzone 3 as it wasn't as good to play that way.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Online shooters like Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Socom and MAG were the main ones I played using the Move back then. Each one could be setup in the same way I described above. To be fair most games I played using the move could be done in the same way, from Resi 5 to a strategy like Ruse, only time I used it in a more traditional 'pointer' sense would be when I got a discounted Sharpshooter from a Game store closing down - but it got boxed back up after a couple of missions on Killzone 3 as it wasn't as good to play that way.
Is there some video showing this gameplay?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because controllers suck for aiming.

That’s why games have to take the reticule and magnetize it to what you’re struggling to aim at.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I am on page 2 of this thread and literally gobsmacked it's mentioned but not nearly enough

How many of you fuckers have played this?

kOyof2N.jpg

Literally the best shooting controls in gaming with ZERO auto aim bullshit...

Microsoft due to not including a gyro has gimmped their console for anouther generation but Sony have no excuse... literally the best full player control experience you have complete control over where your shooting, general area with the thumbstick, exact pinpoint shooting with the gyro motion...

People think I'm joking but go boot it up and think about it, imagine if instead of having the game aim for you past a point your slight hand movements nailed that shot instead, that's exactly what splatoon brings to the table.

Someone copy it for Christ's sake it's right there for the taking PlayStation, JUST DO IT!

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Uhm....they are not dragging something like a computer mouse on a flat service either.
The principle is this. Thumb is one level of control, then you add fingers and you have an additional level of control, then you add the wrist for another, then the elbow, then the shoulder. With just the thumb, your control is very small and restricted in smoothness and subtlety.

I have not had issues with FPS even when playing the N64 (though it takes a little getting used to going back to that stick); most games are perfectly fine after 5 mins. Aside from psx stick placement (though that is hardly game breaking either), a different feel between titles isn't necessarily a bad thing; we also get spoiled with settings to adjust too.

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Pretty much every console shooter gives you X and Y sensitivity options, some even give you the ability to adjust the deadzone. You're free to adjust those settings y'know 😂

But yes, it can be frustrating and mkb is a million times better. Fortunately more and more games on console are offering mouse and keyboard support. But hey, at least recent fps games haven't felt as fucking horrid as Killzone 2 and 3 😁

coffinbirth

If a game has shitty controller implementation, use kb&m and vice versa when fine tuning of sens and accel fail.

That being said, in a multiplayer setting the skill gap & ceiling and game are directly related to controller and kb&m relevance. For example, a game like CoD the skill gap and ceiling are so low that a really good player can be competitive with either. But a game like CSGO has such a high skill ceiling it boils down to twitch movements that require a kb&m to compete at a high level.

If you're talking about console games and their limitations in this regard, that's usually a pretty hard thing to fine tune/correct without robust options.

Banned
What? Destiny's controller aiming feels great.

no it doesn't, at least last time I played it, which was admittedly before the first DLC released.
try making a perfect circular motion... I'll wait

also the max sensitivity is ridiculously slow and the response curve feels slughish as hell.

I can't remember if Destiny 2 lets you turn off aim acceleration, but I think it doesn't, at leasr last time I played it. and aim acceleration is one of the cardinal sins of controller aiming

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
WTF are you smoking, OP?!?

Destiny 2 is the best-feeling FPS game on console. It's not even close.
I'm not smoking, but pass me your blunt so I can't feel the clunkiness like you.

Play Titanfall 2 or a modern cod. Then you realise destiny 2 is pretty bad.

The same reason its hard to make good third person swordplay action combat with mouse and keyboard.
In short, the original design mechanics and ideas were made specifically with the type of controller they had, so despite all the current evolution in these mechanics at their core there is still some bias towards the OG controller/style.
This also applies to RTS or Isometric RPGs as well.
Try fighting games with Keyboard, it worked for me eventually but at the end of the day, controller and arcade is the best way to play fighting games and the reason for that is because the OG fighting games mechanics were made for those in mind.

So its hard because the fundamentals are pretty much rooted in these core design mechanics and its going to take real effort into changing that.

Fighting games are much easier on a keyboard than controllers for executing dial combos.

Banned
So based on this, what conclusion do you draw? I'm not very familiar with Splitgate, so I don't have many inferences to make outside of recognizing the big #1 at the end.

in Splitgate due to the high framerate I played it at (144fps) and the relatively good controller aiming out of the box, I had issues at first, but quickly adapted to the game without assist.

my flick shots with the sniper weren't perfect yet but I bet if I played the game exclusively like this for a few weeks I wouldn't even think about it anymore.

my issue is that, as a Bumper Jumper user, controller in this game isn't really an option for my main input device, because my bindings get weird as hell real fast.

also while Splitgate's default aiming controls are good, they lack in depth settings like I'm used to in Apex Legends for example, and without these it's harder for me to get into the groove as the response curve is a bit too linear for me, and I can't add "bonus" speed when hitting the edge of the stick's range. I usually have a moderate sensitivity in the inner stick range but add bonus speed as soon as I hit the edge to have really fast turn speeds and still relatively fine aim for the rest of the area of the stick

Last edited:

soulbait

you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

also while mouse aiming does feel a little different in each game, the differences are almost completely irrelevant and if a game feels really different it's usually due to activated mouse acceleration, which you should always turn off...
some shooters on PC in the last don't let you turn mouse acceleration off, which is comparable to games with bad aiming on a controller like Halo Infinite or even worse stuff like Deathloop

No, I do know what I am talking about, but I was being a little "tongue in cheek" about blaming your thumbs. But that is the difference, the level of movement and the precision you can get with your thumbs moving a stick versus the precision of movement you can get from moving a mouse with your wrist/hand. The precision difference is why is harder to make aiming good from a controller input base system versus a mouse. But sure, just discount what I said and try to claim I do not know what I am talking about when you have no clue who I am.

Banned
No, I do know what I am talking about, but I was being a little "tongue in cheek" about blaming your thumbs. But that is the difference, the level of movement and the precision you can get with your thumbs moving a stick versus the precision of movement you can get from moving a mouse with your wrist/hand. The precision difference is why is harder to make aiming good from a controller input base system versus a mouse. But sure, just discount what I said and try to claim I do not know what I am talking about when you have no clue who I am.

because you are wrong, that's why I am discounting what you said.

it's perfectly easy to make good aiming on a controller... you can literally do it yourself on PC by literally emulating a mouse on your right stick.

yes I'm using the word literally here a lot maybe but it's literally the best way to do it.

that's what I did when playing the Halo Infinite beta because Halo Infinite natively has dogshit controller aiming.

so I saw someone post a config he made on Reddit, I Downloaded that config from within the Steam controller settings, adjusted my response curve a little bit and simply had to adjust the mouse sensitivity in-game to my liking.
the difference was night and day.

the simple mouse movement directly bound to the right stick felt absolutely perfect, very similar to good controller shooters like Titanfall, Apex or CoD.

it's ridiculously simple to make a shooter play well and feel good on a controller.
it's literally harder to make bad controller aiming, because the developers need to add artificial changes to the raw input the right analog stick sends to the console. like additional code that adds ramp up time, or additional code for the weird ass sensitivity curve Halo Infinite uses... that literally had to be coded in on top of the raw stick input which would have been better in every way

and there is zero correlation with how easy it is to use a mouse, that has nothing to do with people finding some games to play like shit on controller.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

After playing Splatoon 2, it really shouldn't be hard to have a satisfying aim with a controller. Gyro aiming should be standard or at least an option.

KXVXII9X

Yeah I don't feel this way at all. But I've bin using a controller for like 35 years now. I tried playing with mouse and keyboard on PC a while back and even though I know it's superior, in my hands it wasn't cause I just don't have the muscle memory like I do with decades of controller use 🤷‍♂️
I'm the same. It isn't intuitive for me. I prefer a controller with gyro aim or using VR. It is more natural feeling.

I'm not smoking, but pass me your blunt so I can't feel the clunkiness like you.

Play Titanfall 2 or a modern cod. Then you realise destiny 2 is pretty bad.

D2 is easily one of the best feeling FPS on the market, but only on PC and next gen. Last gen D2 was iffy.

Danknugz

You could always setup your own Sensitivity & Acceleration, but on PC for mouse its more unified, just choose specific DPI for your mouse. On console its a per game basis thing, 1 unit of slider in Halo might not equals to 1 unit of slider in Destiny. "Smooth aiming" is a subjective thing, some are ok with certain game but not the other and vice versa.

Mouse will always be the best input of choice for FPS, followed by Gyro (theoretically), and finally Analog
VR motion controls are easily the best. Mimicks holding a gun pretty well and just shoot where you aim. I've had more than a few amazing encounters with shooting someone with a handgun by angling my arm behind me after I ran out of ammo and rushed them, stuff like that is impossible with any kind of traditional controller.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's really crazy how big of a difference there is between fps aim with a controller in each game.

On pc you have a mouse, where any game feels identical no matter which mouse you have.

Then there's games like Halo and Destiny that's feels like ass and are heavily clunky, while games like Cod and Titanfall had spot on fluently aiming.

I don't get now that fps has been going on for so long on consoles, why smooth aiming from cod and Titanfall hasn't been an industry standard, and we still get shit clunky controls in a lot of other fps games?

(disclaimer - I know controller is shit compared to keyboard and mouse, but this is about using a controller in different games)
Destiny 2 dude and cod cold war

Both absolute GEMS

Fuck metro exodus 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Banned
-

I've played these two and didn't have too much of an issue with Ion Fury, but do remember Metro Exodus feeling terrible.

Ion Fury has really aggressive auto aim (even more aggressive than Halo and Destiny, which says a lot). you only have to aim close to an enemy and the bullets will automatically lock on directly to the nearest one.

if you turn that off you will throw your controller out the window real quick.

The_Mike The_Mike I feel like your sights should be aimed more at Sony and Microsoft for being scared to innovate beyond the right joystick for over 20 years at this point.

At least the Steam controller tried to do things better and differently, but everyone made fun of it for not being the same as every other console controller. Nintendo tried too but people just scoff at them and call them gimmicky.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ion Fury has really aggressive auto aim (even more aggressive than Halo and Destiny, which says a lot). you only have to aim close to an enemy and the bullets will automatically lock on directly to the nearest one.

if you turn that off you will throw your controller out the window real quick.
I played through it with auto-aim off lol

Banned
After playing Splatoon 2, it really shouldn't be hard to have a satisfying aim with a controller. Gyro aiming should be standard or at least an option.

the issue with gyro aiming is the controller itself.

gyro aiming is no issue on a controller like the Switch Pro where the triggers are very shallow buttons and not analog triggers that can be pressed deep into the controller.

what happens, especially on PS4 and PS5 controllers, is every time you press down L2 or R2 your controller will be pushed upwards without much you can do about it other than cramping up your hands trying to hold it steady.

you can rebind ADS and Fire to L1 and R1 respectively of course but here we then get the issue that it's uncomfortable to hold the controller witch your index fingers hovering above these 2 buttons all the time as the controllers are designed ergonomically to have your index fingers hovering above R2 and L2.

the Switch pro controller and the Wii U gamepad with their digital triggers don't have that much of an issue with that,
the Wii U gamepad especially was really good for gyro aiming due to the heft and size it had.

the weight helped with holding the pad steady while pressing buttons and the size helped with smaller angle changes (comparable to longer sticks that many shooter players use by either replacing their sticks for longer ones or having these plastic add-on nubs that extend the default stick)

Last edited:
Top Bottom