• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is steam big picture still terrible?

Hotspurr

Banned
Hi,
Just curious if it's me or it happens to others as well, but when I use steam big picture things are laggy, games often fail to launch, sometimes they randomly launch windowed, and the whole interface is generally just bad. It hasn't changed for the last 5 years as far as I can tell. (I'm wired via HDMI and with a very capable PC). Also steam in general seems to be a resource hog. I hope the epic games store lights a fire under their ass so they at least improve the user experience.

Do you have a preferred way of accessing your steam library on the TV (using controller)? I just want the experience to be less of a pain in the ass.

Graciaus

I wouldn't say it's terrible but I do prefer the normal view. I have a wireless mouse that I use from my couch to do everything then use a x1 controller in game. I just think it's faster that way.

Keihart

I have some games that work better for controller suport when launched through big picture, idk, i personally like it...but then again, i prefer consoles so...

sol_bad

Also steam in general seems to be a resource hog. I hope the epic games store lights a fire under their ass so they at least improve the user experience.

Do you have a preferred way of accessing your steam library on the TV (using controller)? I just want the experience to be less of a pain in the ass.

oh
I didn't know the Epic store had a TV mode. How does it look and function?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I always thought the concept was really cool, but yeah, I ran into issues pretty frequently. Would be nice to see a big picture mode from Galaxy 2.0, seeing how great the normal desktop interface is.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I comfy couch PC game in my living room but I just cant get down with big picture mode.

I really hate losing features and it feels clunky to me. Much easier to just have a wireless mouse to launch games then change over to a controller when the game does launch, as a poster above mentioned.

SCB3

It's awful with Steam link streaming as well, even in the same room I get lag and sometimes crashes

thelastword

Banned
Yes, performance in 1080p is bad, 720p is better, but really they need to optimize it and give higher rez options for the UI with improved performance.......1440p, 4k, 8k native options...….Sometimes that 720p don't scale too well on a 4k screen....

Shifty

In short, because Valve.

Their 'work on what you want to work on' company culture tends to result in stuff like BPM: Cool ideas that get a working implementation, then perpetually languish in unpolished bug hell because everyone decided to wheel their desks over to the VR lab this week.

I haven't seen all the bugs you mention OP, but I've definitely experienced my fair share. I try to keep away from it unless there's a feature that can't be accessed through the main UI, like forcing stream input on or off for a given game.

Top Bottom