• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why release a product that you know for a fact is garbage?

FMX

I was looking forward to Redfall honestly. But after seeing videos and reviews I am waiting for the inevitable patch. But I feel that we as gamers are disrespected when companies do this. Why is it so difficult to just cancel a game or not release it. Redfall is the latest example along with Jedi Survivor. I might understand if there is a day on patch but this is getting ridiculous. Another thing why not hold off on announcing a release date until the game is 80 percent done and you are sure you can make the date or better yet why not just wait to announce a release date until the game is completed and fully tested. These games are coming in hot too often and it's disrespectful to us a gamers.

T4keD0wN

But I feel that we as gamers are disrespected when companies do this.
Gamers when they pre-oder an unfinished product and get exactly what they have paid for, an unfinished product.
r2K8Txg.png

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
What is the worst thing to do, to release an undercooked game after having about 18 months with no Triple A first party or another delay or cancel? Xbox is still getting roasted for cancelling Scalebound when Platinum admitted they were the fuck up. This is the Kobayashi Maru

Foilz

Banned
Then don't buy them and ignore them. Do you honestly think any company is gonna spend millions upon millions to develop a game with the intention of releasing it broken on purpose. By releasing it and fixing it later at least they recoup some of the money and will take the PR hit. If you don't want to be "disrespected" then wait for the reviews so you don't waste your money then move on to another game. There's literally 60,000 games you can choose to play until the the broken one you want to play is fixed. This is what I did with no man sky

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Gamers being impatient.
Management trying to profit from sales.
Not having anytime for delays.
Unforseen mess.
Poor quality auditor's.
Poor quality reviews.
Not having an oversight on product management.
And lastly, certain games fail to hit the target.

kizito

In software development, optimization usually arrives late in the development. The problem is that when you have piled up a big stack of features, it would require too much work to rebuild everything in a proper way that would run great. So what do you do ? Delay for a few years and rebuild everything correctly with the gained knowledge, getting behind techology-wise and losing most of the marketing money spent ? Or you try to grab as much money as you can on what you have now and move on ?

If you look at Redfall it's because they were desperate to put out any software to fill the gap for Xbox and GamePass and because further delay might have caused more people to cancel their pre-orders, which we know was motivation since they had same-day embargo.

Sony did the same with Last of Us on PC. They knew it was a mess and even delayed it, but they needed to benefit from the show as much as possible. They wanted those early adopters who were going to buy it no matter what. They knew the delay wasn't enough time to fix the game, but they released it anyways.

ungalo

I think usually the dilemma is trying to get some minimal gains out of a disastrous development vs saving your reputation (even though in certain case you can redeem yourself after launch).

But what i think happened for Redfall specifically is : Microsoft not wanting to cancel a Bethesda game just after they bought Bethesda and assuming Bethesda believed in it in some way + Bethesda being overly relaxed after it was bought and there wasn't any high financial stakes anymore and thinking Xbox might want the game out as soon as possible without caring that much.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
because company care about sales, not reviews.

Last edited:
Consumers need to get smarter and they need to actively punish companies who do this.

People need to stop pre-ordering games. Especially digital games... for what a couple skins you won't use anyways?

Robb

Gold Member
I would think we’ve all had homework or some other deadline that we were expected to deliver on and just said ‘screw it, I won’t be able to finish but I’ll hand in what I’ve got.’

Seems like a pretty common thing.

Last edited:

Three

1. Panic.
2. Shareholder promises.
3, A reliance on a gullible audience who pre-order.
Consumers need to get smarter and they need to actively punish companies who do this.

People need to stop pre-ordering games. Especially digital games... for what a couple skins you won't use anyways?

Trust me, preorders were probably nothing to rely on for MS/Arkane. I'm not sure why people are concentrating on preorders for this game. I'd be surprised if it charted at all. It's a gamepass game. It was for gamepass subs.
It was obvious this was broken with the IGN preview that was weirdly cut together.

Last edited:

nush

Gamers being impatient.
Management trying to profit from sales.
Not having anytime for delays.
Unforseen mess.
Poor quality auditor's.
Poor quality reviews.
Not having an oversight on product management.
And lastly, certain games fail to hit the target.

When the orders go up 30% over forecast and then the extra couple of months you scheduled for were taken away so you had to start production early otherwise you'd never fulfill all the retailer orders. That would be bad, don't upset the retailers. Everybody wants to hit their targets for that month for those sweet bonuses. The games journalists are under the thumb not to say anything, if it's not too bad.

As for Redfall, in the Phil interview he said Redfall playtested to a double digit higher review score than what it actually got. At the time of the interview it was 62 I think. Which means he thought it would probably review around ~75ish meta.

Then there is the pressure to get games out there. Especially after it has already been delayed.

Last edited:
Trust me, preorders were probably nothing to rely on for MS/Arkane. I'm not sure why people are concentrating on preorders for this game. I'd be surprised if it charted at all. It's a gamepass game. It was for gamepass subs.
It was obvious this was broken with the IGN preview that was weirdly cut together.

Gotta disagree. GamePass subs wouldn't be impacted much by a review period. They actively placed the embargo for like 3 hours before launch because they wanted to maintain pre-orders. How would a week of reviews impact subs different from the game releasing to bad reviews?

They absolutely count on pre-orders still. Not everyone is on GamePass and B2P is still how individual games are going to make their operating costs back and reduce the cost of being on GamePass.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
MS didn't give them pressure and give them a window of release that couldn't be adjusted did they? Otherwise... Lmfao. It's anyones guess.

MS didn't give them pressure and give them a window of release that couldn't be adjusted did they? Otherwise... Lmfao. It's anyones guess.

This was definitely on Microsoft. If this was 3rd party, they would have delayed it. They already delayed it once because they weren't happy with it.

Microsoft wouldn't let them delay it again because they needed to put something out for Xbox and GamePass. The pressure to release games as 1st party when you have nothing else is really big. This is why Nintendo games generally aren't rushed except for GameFreak.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This was definitely on Microsoft. If this was 3rd party, they would have delayed it. They already delayed it once because they weren't happy with it.

Microsoft wouldn't let them delay it again because they needed to put something out for Xbox and GamePass. The pressure to release games as 1st party when you have nothing else is really big. This is why Nintendo games generally aren't rushed except for GameFreak.

I very much doubt it's a mistake Microsoft will make again. The bad publicity around having no games is still better than the bad publicity around releasing a completely broken jankfest of a game for $70.

Reactions: FMX
I very much doubt it's a mistake Microsoft will make again. The bad publicity around having no games is still better than the bad publicity around releasing a completely broken jankfest of a game for $70.

I doubt Starfield is in as bad a shape as Redfall, but if its in the 70s or even low 80s, it probably could have used a delay, yet there is no chance Microsoft delays Starfield this year. To have nothing for two holiday seasons in a row, they might as well pull xboxes off the shelves.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Sunk cost… this money isn’t coming back so just release it and try to minimize the loss. The point is to quantify how much brand damage a poor product will also bring.

Top Bottom