• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2023 be a one off standout year or do you think the quality will continue into 2024?

is 2023 representative of a quality shift in gaming

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A great majority of people on the site can agree that 2023 is a great year for games. The best in a while, infact. We got 2 big amazing profile releases in Mario Wonder and Spiderman just today, and the year's still not over yet with more releases in october and november such as Mario RPG remake, Alan Wake 2, Ghostrunner 2, and Yakuza Infinite Wealth on the horizon, plus the potential of a Switch 2.

My question is, will the quality stay this way? Is this going to JUST be a nice year for games, or is this indicative of more, a sudden shift of quality in the gaming industry? vote!

ReBurn

Gold Member
It would be nice if the quality continued, but with so little information it's hard to be confident. I wish we knew more about what is coming next year.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
71g2Jy1B8IL.jpg
81hmWAdXP8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
vnLKX4r.png
81-pSXZ56tL.jpg
PONY_ST_PACKSHOT_PS5_X_US_RGB_562x700.png
eldenringerdtreedlcfjki23e89.jpg

may-god-have-mercy-on-us-all-michael-bryce.gif

Kings Field

I kind of hope it slows down next year. I'm so far behind my 2023 games its crazy.

I am looking forward to

Elden Ring DLC
Dragons Dogma 2
Switch 2 and maybe a PS5 PRO

Those are my standouts

Switch 2

Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Persona 3 Reload
Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
Unicorn Overlord
Metaphor ReFantazio
The Wolf Among Us 2
Another Code Recollection
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney Trilogy
Princess Peach Showtime!
Little Nightmares III
Luigi Mansion 2 HD
Paper Mario The Thousand-Year Door HD Remaster
Senua's Saga Hellblade II

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm hoping the rumours are false and Elden Ring DLC is not coming out in Feb 5th......they can't fucking do this!

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Currently the only 2024 release I plan on getting, regardless of reviews, is Hellblade. I just thoroughly enjoyed the first (helps I played most of the first with nice headphones + intoxicated, so the audio was truly immersive). If GTA6 launches next year I'll get that too, but nothing else that I'm aware of I'm actually excited for or already intend on getting day 1. Fair amount to keep my eye on, though. Hoping for some gems. I went into 2023 expecting to pass on BG3 entirely and now it's my GOTY, so maybe something else will surprise me like that in 2024. Oh also Elden Ring DLC.

Last edited:

Belthazar

2024 has FF7 Rebirth and a new Nintendo console... It will be full of bangers. Also, it was widely reported that Sony had multiple games delayed out of 2023, so they must have quite a few bangers cooking. I don't know if it'll be as strong as 2023, but it will be good.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m hoping Sony will deliver a similar year as Nintendo did this year with a flood of high quality exclusives. If that’s the case it could be close.

Otherwise I’m not very confident. This year has been bonkers.

Chastten

Banned
It'll be very hard to top for me personally, but if Switch 2 manages to launch in 2024 with a brand new Mario and Metroid Prime 4 it'll be very close at the least.

Also very excited about Paper Mario Remake, Princess Peach Showtime, Gran Blue Fantasy Relink, Unicorn Overlord and a ton of other 'smaller' games. And to be honest, the A and AA games market is much more important than the AAA market for me.

It's gonna be a while before we have another year like 2023. 2024 looks to have some really big releases though, and depending on your tastes it could be a better year (Elden Ring DLC, Silksong, FF7R2). I don't think it will match the quantity of 2023 though.

Woopah

I expect Capcom and SE to have great years like this year.

Sony was a bit off in 2023 but are starting 2024 better and they'll announce more things.

There's a good chance that Hellblade 2 and Avowed review better than any 2023 MS game.

Nintendo looks to be leaning heavily on old games until Switch 2 launches. So I expect their 2024 to be worse than their 2023 or 2022 (though of course they can always surprise).

Not really sure about Ubisoft or EA.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Hopefully 2024 will not be as heavy on releases like 2023 was and I will play some of the games that I missed this year, for a better price.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
2024 will be the official reveal of the Live Service era. There are so many juggernaut multiplayer games that will be released and / or revealed next year it's going to be absurd.

hold-on-to-your-butts-jurrasic-park.gif

Last edited:

Zannegan

I mean, IF Nintendo is holding some big projects for launch of Switch 2 like they did for Switch 1, Sony has a Ghost of Tsushima and/or inFamous sequel ready to roll, and Microsoft delivers 1-2 of those WRPGs we keep hearing about, it could be a very exciting 2024.

I won't hold my breath though. The industry seems to sandwich one or two mediocre years between its stacked years, and 2023 was pretty great.

Killer8

Next year is arguably looking even better.

Another Code: Recollection
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Tekken 8
Yakuza / Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Tomb Raider I-III Remastered
Unicorn Overlord
Still Wakes the Deep
Pacific Drive
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Earth Defense Force 6
Suikoden I&II HD Remaster: Gate Rune and Dunan Unification Wars
Picross S+
Shin-chan: Shiro of Coal Town
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Rise of the Ronin
SCHiM
Hotel Barcelona
Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024
Hellblade II: Senua's Saga
Metaphor: ReFantazio
The Last Exterminator
Star Wars Outlaws
System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition

Potentially:

Project 007
Routine
Stellar Blade
Phantom Blade Zero
Shadows of the Damned Remaster
Death Stranding 2
Marvel's Wolverine
Dragon's Dogma II
Crimson Desert
Half-Life 2 RTX
Stray Children
Animal Well
Metal Slug Tactics
Ratatan
Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake
Silent Hill f
Marathon

and:

PS5 Pro
Switch 2

I thought 2023 was a good year, but not a "standout year". Maybe that's just me.
agree. if tears of the kingdom just made you miss breath of the wild, if diablo 4 just made you miss diablo 3, if final fantasy xvi just made you miss final fantasy xii, if starfield just made you miss mass effect, & if you found hogwarts legacy more imaginative & enjoyable than all of them? if you're some kinda weird gaming crank like me, then, yeah, it was a good, but not great year...

Last edited:

Hudo

For me, 2024 might be awesome as well:

Homeworld 3
Age of Mythology: Retold (I assume it's 2024)
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door Remake
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Unicorn Overlord
Dragon's Dogma II
Persona 3 Reload
Dragon Quest III: HD-2D Remake (I mean, come on, it's been forever since the announcment. Surely 2024 is gonna be the year, right?)
Metaphor ReFantazio (I believe a 2024 release when it's actually happening... )

Last edited:
Top Bottom