• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will 2023 be the year Microsoft's first party finally breaks the dreaded curse?

They’re not all on PS5 though, that‘s the point.
If they were all on PS5, then PS5 would have everything xbox does + Sony’s first party and other exclusive games, Playstation would have more than xbox.

However, xbox has more than playstation, both at 90+ and 80+ level. The only way xbox can have more 90+ and 80+ games than playstation on metacritic is if Microsofts first party and third party exclusives better what Sony get for Playstation, given multiplatform games are on both consoles.

Here’s the links again in case you missed them - Xbox and Playstation

And yet people insist that xbox has nothing and Sony are amazing. It’s not about the quality or quantity of games, people just hate xbox.

Lol two of those games rated above a 90 only got 6 reviews each

zzill3

Banned
Lol two of those games rated above a 90 only got 6 reviews each

So? Metacritic have a thing where reviews on one platform don’t always appear on others, even though it’s the same game. Just because a lot of the reviews are marked pc or switch instead of xbox doesn’t mean it doesn’t count for xbox.
It’s incredibly rare for a game on one platform to have massively different review scores than the same game on another platform.

Last edited:
So? Metacritic have a thing where reviews on one platform don’t always apply to others, even though it’s the same game. Just because a lot of the reviews are marked pc or switch instead of xbox doesn’t mean it doesn’t count for xbox.
It’s incredibly rare for a game on one platform to have massively different review scores than the same game on another platform.

All you have to do is look at opencritic to see thats not true

sainraja

If 90+ metacritic games are the mark of success MS have developed/published 3 of them with 10 games in total and Sony have developed/published 1 (2 if you count Demons Souls but that’s a bit tenuous) with 9 in total.

Yet we still have posts like this thinking MS aren’t releasing great games, xbox has nothing to play and Sony are besting them.
Your point about the number of games only stands because you are filtering out anything that is 80+.
People don't play scores (well, some do). If you are counting Deathloop for MS, then Destiny counts for Sony. Anyway, list wars are sooo pointless.

I am not saying it is right but people do look to first party games for stand out titles each system has to offer. What you are now complaining about for Xbox, was said about the PS3 and it was equally tiring. You can look up "PS3 has no games" memes.

Some of the games you might dismiss on the PS5 were late releases on the PS4 (e.g. Ghost of Tsushima) so people that haven't played that, have that to play on PS5. Sony has normally done that, even going from PS3 --> PS4, e.g. The Last of Us. Views can vary and the same is true for Xbox.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Lmfao. Whatever. Sorry to whatever mods feelings I hurt.

Post in thread 'TrueAchievements has created #MyYearOnXbox | Share your personalised Xbox stats for 2022' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/true...ed-xbox-stats-for-2022.1648149/post-267184667

Post in thread 'Your Playstation Wrap-Up 2022' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/your-playstation-wrap-up-2022.1647723/post-267185063
You played only 85 hours on PS all year, 40 hours was on the free version of FF14.

What is this supposed to prove exactly? That you are neutral? Everybody here knows you're not 🤣

zzill3

Banned
Your point about the number of games only stands because you are filtering out anything that is 80+.
People don't play scores (well, some do). If you are counting Deathloop for MS, then Destiny counts for Sony. Anyway, list wars are sooo pointless.

I am not saying it is right but people do look to first party games for stand out titles each system has to offer. What you are now complaining about for Xbox, was said about the PS3 and it was equally tiring. You can look up "PS3 has no games" memes.

Some of the games you might dismiss on the PS5 were late releases on the PS4 (e.g. Ghost of Tsushima) so people that haven't played that, have that to play on PS5. Sony has normally done that, even going from PS3 --> PS4, e.g. The Last of Us. Views can vary and the same is true for Xbox.

I’m happy to count Destiny as a Sony game, it honestly doesn’t matter to me, I don’t particularly care who has what, they’re both great developers. I used 80+ because it’s a round number and in most cases a game has to be pretty average or worse to score less than that.

My issue is with people saying MS/Xbox are deserving of the scorn for not having any games while heaping praise on Sony, when the reviews show the output of the two is very similar, if anything xbox has the advantage. It’s just console warring and pretty ridiculous.

Ghosts of Tsushima does have a PS5 entry in metacritic under the directors cut, though. I’m not dismissing that.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
If they were all on PS5, then PS5 would have everything xbox does + Sony’s first party and other exclusive games, Playstation would have more than xbox.

However, xbox has more than playstation, both at 90+ and 80+ level. The only way xbox can have more 90+ and 80+ games than playstation on metacritic is if Microsofts first party and third party exclusives better what Sony get for Playstation, given multiplatform games are on both consoles.

And yet people insist that xbox has nothing and Sony are amazing. It’s not about the quality or quantity of games, people just hate xbox.
How are you getting the conclusion that Xbox has more 80 and 90 scoring games? There's a lot of multiplatform games in these lists

sainraja

I’m happy to count Destiny as a Sony game, it honestly doesn’t matter to me, I don’t particularly care who has what, they’re both great developers. I used 80+ because it’s a round number and in most cases a game has to be pretty average or worse to score less than that.

My issue is with people saying MS/Xbox are deserving of the scorn for not having any games while heaping praise on Sony, when the reviews show the output of the two is very similar, if anything xbox has the advantage. It’s just console warring and pretty ridiculous.

Ghosts of Tsushima does have a PS5 entry in metacritic under the directors cut, though. I’m not dismissing that.
I meant filtering out anything below 90+ when 80+ should count too and that might show you why....but it basically comes down to consistency, the point Fredrik was making. Third-party games count for both systems anyway so if you are someone mostly interested in those, then it doesn't matter which system you go with, outside of the feature/console tech features that might interest you because the game itself isn't going to change based on where you are playing. This was common back in the SNES/Genesis days, where Aladdin and TMNT Tournament fighter games were different games, something that you don't see now at all, outside of maybe when Wii was Nintendo's main system.

Anyway, I am drifting from the point now so I will stop....but it's pointless to focus on people saying that. People will say what they will. They did with the PS3....and I suppose it has gone a little longer with the Xbox due to the XONE debacle even though many do acknowledge XONE had a good launch lineup. So, I mean, the landscape is pretty dynamic.

Last edited:
Eventually, most of the big exclusives should come out, but I’m more concerned about how good will they be and will they be embraced by the XBOX community. The silence snd prolonged development time do make me wonder what’s really going on over there.

Starfield should be good, maybe even very good, but I’m really not sure if it can live up to all the hype. I’m sort of getting Cyberpunk vibes from it where the core game will be good, but it will have certain elements holding it back from greatness. We’ll see.

Eventually, most of the big exclusives should come out, but I’m more concerned about how good will they be and will they be embraced by the XBOX community. The silence snd prolonged development time do make me wonder what’s really going on over there.

Starfield should be good, maybe even very good, but I’m really not sure if it can live up to all the hype. I’m sort of getting Cyberpunk vibes from it where the core game will be good, but it will have certain elements holding it back from greatness. We’ll see.

It will be as good as fallout 4 (which was just ‘good’) but it will probably be treated by the media and fans as a 90 game just because theres so much riding on it for Microsoft.

Unless it releases more broken then we are all expecting. Bethesda games have been on a downward trend since the end of the ps3 generation, which is probably why they were seeing a buyout to begin with.

Last edited:

Dutchy

I've been hearing Halo is dead now for years. Why is it the #10 most played game on Xbox series consoles worldwide? It's #4 on Game Pass in the US. #20 on Xbox consoles Something just doesn't compute. Halo has consistently remained one of the most played and popular games on Xbox consoles since release. Just because you may not play it doesn't mean it's dead lol.
How the mighty have fallen.

Xbox' mascotte First Person Online Shooter sitting comfortably between old(er) AC titles and EA Sports' games.

People like to neglect the fact Halo Infinite was the largest ever launch in franchise history. The next major Halo release is going to prove to be the same.
It launched for free on Game Pass. And counted everyone who did as much as even look at the game as an activer player. And even then it paled in comparison to the likes of Halo 2/3/R, which were able to retain tens of thousands of players several years after release.

Halo Infinite stooped to fucking 2.5k players at one point. Having less active players than MCC even.

This sugar coating is not going to do anyone any good. Not you or the franchise.

Last edited:

zzill3

Banned
How are you getting the conclusion that Xbox has more 80 and 90 scoring games? There's a lot of multiplatform games in these lists

Look at the list rank number for the lowest place 90 and 80 rated game, Xbox’s list for 90+ games goes to 10 and for 80+ games goes to 109, while PlayStation’s list for 90+ games goes to 9 and 80+ games goes to 105.

Xbox has more in both categories than playstation.

I meant filtering out anything below 90+ when 80+ should count too and that might show you why....but it basically comes down to consistency, the point Fredrik was making. Third-party games count for both systems anyway so if you are someone mostly interested in those, then it doesn't matter which system you go with, outside of the feature/console tech features that might interest you because the game itself isn't going to change based on where you are playing. This was common back in the SNES/Genesis days, where Aladdin and TMNT Tournament fighter games were different games, something that you don't see now at all, outside of maybe when Wii was Nintendo's main system.

Anyway, I am drifting from the point now so I will stop....but it's pointless to focus on people saying that. People will say what they will. They did with the PS3....and I suppose it has gone a little longer with the Xbox due to the XONE debacle even though many do acknowledge XONE had a good launch lineup. So, I mean, the landscape is pretty dynamic.

No problem - for clarification though I am including 80+ games as well. Xbox has more 90+ and 80+ games than playstation in those metacritic lists. I was filtering out anything below 80 because I think that’s a good cut off for most games to be good quality.

Hobbygaming

Look at the list rank number for the lowest place 90 and 80 rated game, Xbox’s list for 90+ games goes to 10 and for 80+ games goes to 109, while PlayStation’s list for 90+ games goes to 9 and 80+ games goes to 105.

No problem - for clarification though I am including 80+ games as well. Xbox has more 90+ and 80+ games than playstation in those metacritic lists. I was filtering out anything below 80 because I think that’s a good cut off for most games to be good quality.
This example is the reason why Xbox is showing more 80 rated games over PlayStation on metacritic

uvcmvyU.jpg

GhostOfTsu

Banned

What a ridiculous list. The metascore for those multiplatforms games (like Persona 5, Stanley Parable, Disco Elysium, Doki Doki, Cyberpunk) are higher on Xbox than PS5 (ex: because there's fewer reviews) but it's the same game. It doesn't mean Xbox has "better games".

It's the same game on both platforms but the Meta is different. You proved nothing with that list.

Riky

$MSFT
Looks like we're getting Hellblade 2 as well as Forza, Starfield and Redfall this year.
If that's the baseline then this is going to be one hell of a year, I'd expect to see gameplay for the likes of Avowed and Perfect Dark for 2024 also.
Spencer better make some room for more awards.

GymWolf

Looks like we're getting Hellblade 2 as well as Forza, Starfield and Redfall this year.
If that's the baseline then this is going to be one hell of a year, I'd expect to see gameplay for the likes of Avowed and Perfect Dark for 2024 also.
Spencer better make some room for more awards.
Is hellblade 2 confirmed for 2023?

zzill3

Banned
This example is the reason why Xbox is showing more 80 rated games over PlayStation on metacritic

And similarly, there are games on Playstation that fall in to the 80+ range and are missed on xbox, eg. Scarlet Nexus. It evens itself out when taken as a whole.

What a ridiculous list. The metascore for those multiplatforms games (like Persona 5, Stanley Parable, Disco Elysium, Doki Doki, Cyberpunk) are higher on Xbox than PS5 (ex: because there's fewer reviews) but it's the same game. It doesn't mean Xbox has "better games".

It's the same game on both platforms but the Meta is different. You proved nothing with that list.

My point isn’t that xbox has better games, my point is the criticism of Xbox and Microsoft for a lack of games is unwarranted, especially when people praising Sony for the games on Playstation, given both consoles are pretty equal.

Yet we have people insisting xbox has no games and Sony are amazing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Anything will be better than 2022...or at least I hope so.

But yes, 2023 better be the best year that MS has seen since the 360 days.

Or I'll be very very upset and I might say

"Ooooh damn you xbox ....grrrr....me so angey"

Then go play on my steam deck.

fallingdove

Maybe if you close your eyes and believe hard enough, these technicalities will become true.

Even still, I always get a chuckle out of your links and the fact that a Stanly Parable collection reviewed exclusively by a handful of Xbox outlets is what pushes the console to the top spot.

I feel like these “people” you speak of that insist Xbox has nothing and Sony is amazing are the very same people making the argument that Xbox has everything. The few die heads that are trying to convince themselves that Microsoft is effectively managing all of these studios they acquired, that 2021 was the greatest year of all time and 2022 never happened. All wonderland stuff.

I’ll be one of the first to pat Microsoft on the back when they start delivering on their promises. I really want the upcoming slew of WRPGs to be good — it’s one of the reasons I bought a series X. But no point in giving undue credit.

zzill3

Banned
Maybe if you close your eyes and believe hard enough, these technicalities will become true.

What is it that makes them false, to you? All I’ve done is tell you how metacritic are rating the games available on both platforms. If what I said was false you could prove it by going to the metacritic site, but when you do you’d see that I’m telling the truth. Why would you think me relating the metacritic scores to you is somehow a lie?

Even still, I always get a chuckle out of your links and the fact that a Stanly Parable collection reviewed exclusively by a handful of Xbox outlets is what pushes the console to the top spot.

I feel like these “people” you speak of that insist Xbox has nothing and Sony is amazing are the very same people making the argument that Xbox has everything. The few die heads that are trying to convince themselves that Microsoft is effectively managing all of these studios they acquired, that 2021 was the greatest year of all time and 2022 never happened. All wonderland stuff.

I’ll be one of the first to pat Microsoft on the back when they start delivering on their promises. I really want the upcoming slew of WRPGs to be good — it’s one of the reasons I bought a series X. But no point in giving undue credit.

Alright then, take Stanley Parable out of 90+ for xbox and we’re down to 9 vs 9 90+ games. Sony’s side has 2 first party (Bloodborne and God of War), Microsoft have 3 (Forza, Flight Sim and Ori).
Either way, this isn’t Sony providing a significantly better experience like the anti xbox trolls would want you to believe.

Microsoft may not have delivered on their promises in your opinion, but given Sony are not pulling away from them in quantity or quality, Sony must not be either.

Somehow, though, Sony seems exempt from this criticism.

Hobbygaming

What is it that makes them false, to you? All I’ve done is tell you how metacritic are rating the games available on both platforms. If what I said was false you could prove it by going to the metacritic site, but when you do you’d see that I’m telling the truth. Why would you think me relating the metacritic scores to you is somehow a lie?

Alright then, take Stanley Parable out of 90+ for xbox and we’re down to 9 vs 9 90+ games. Sony’s side has 2 first party (Bloodborne and God of War), Microsoft have 3 (Forza, Flight Sim and Ori).
Either way, this isn’t Sony providing a significantly better experience like the anti xbox trolls would want you to believe.

Microsoft may not have delivered on their promises in your opinion, but given Sony are not pulling away from them in quantity or quality, Sony must not be either.

If you're including last generation too

Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
TLOU Part II
God of War Ragnarok
Demon Souls
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War 2018
TLOU remastered

All scored 90+

zzill3

Banned
If you're including last generation too

Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
TLOU Part II
God of War Ragnarok
Demon Souls
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War 2018
TLOU remastered

All scored 90+

We weren’t but if you want, sure. You need to double check Ratchet and Clank, that’s an 80+ game, but there’s 9 there for Sony, and we add Forza Horizon 3 & 4, and Psychonauts 2 for Microsoft.

The first of all of these games, I believe, was TLOU remastered in 2014, which means over 9 years to now Sony have managed to release 3 more 90+ games for Playstation than Microsoft have for xbox.
Do you honestly believe this justifies the criticism Microsoft are getting in comparison to Sony?

Umbasaborne

Banned
Microsoft was already there in 2021 as far as I'm concerned, pulling off a year no other games publisher had ever achieved in terms of critical acclaim, using the same Metacritic score card some people seem to place so much weight on. I personally don't think very much of it, but when you see Xbox do so well on this thing everybody always uses to attack Xbox, it's only natural you're going to throw a little shade here or there. The reality is some will always push the year back for Xbox to suggest they still haven't met some bizarre threshold, that it still hasn't proven itself yet capable of releasing games people have fun with... despite all the games Xbox has that people have fun with. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So Xbox will never do anything right in the eyes of some, and that's perfectly fine because it doesn't really matter at the end of the day what everybody else thinks. It's about what you personally as an individual thinks.
People cling on to this like former highschool quarter backs cling on to their teenage years. There are A-LOT of caveats to 2021’s releases that people love to glance over before they vomit the same “2021 publisher of the year” shit.

Forza horizon 5: great new game no issues here
Flight sim: a late port but still quite good

But then here are the games with caveats….

Deathloop: a ps5 exclusive
Psychonauts 2: a multi platform game
Halo infinite: launched incomplete, a major step down content wise from previous games.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

We weren’t but if you want, sure. You need to double check Ratchet and Clank, that’s an 80+ game, but there’s 9 there for Sony, and we add Forza Horizon 3 & 4, and Psychonauts 2 for Microsoft.

The first of all of these games, I believe, was TLOU remastered in 2014, which means over 9 years to now Sony have managed to release 3 more 90+ games for Playstation than Microsoft have for xbox.
Do you honestly believe this justifies the criticism Microsoft are getting in comparison to Sony?
As some have mentioned it's also Sony's consistency and they have more 80+ exclusives overall along with those 90+ titles

I'm sure there are some that do blindly hate Xbox but the reasons they get criticized for their output are valid

People cling on to this like former highschool quarter backs cling on to their teenage years. There are A-LOT of caveats to 2021’s releases that people love to glance over before they vomit the same “2021 publisher of the year” shit.

Forza horizon 5: great new game no issues here
Flight sim: a late port but still quite good

But then here are the games with caveats….

Deathloop: a ps5 exclusive
Psychonauts 2: a multi platform game
Halo infinite: launched incomplete, a major step down content wise from previous games.

Also, the laughing face emoji? Come on, nothing screams “im insecure about my argument” like that emoji

Your first mistake is including Deathloop. That's from Bethesda. It wasn't even included as part of the 2021 best publisher list for Xbox Game Studios. They only counted 'Xbox Game Studios.' You calling Deathloop a PS5 exclusive holds zero relevance.

And what kind of fanboy nonsense is a response that says Psychonauts 2 is multi-platform game? Why exactly would any of that matter? It's still a top tier game developed by a Microsoft first party studio. The game collected multiple GOTY accolades. Still one of the best games released this gen. The studio has spoken extensively as to how much Xbox's support allowed them to make a better game than they would have without them.

Thought you would have nothing to say on Forza Horizon 5 except Halo Infinite is just as good.

Halo Infinite launched as one of the strongest games in the franchise's history, and the most ambitious Halo Campaign in history. Step down content wise from previous games you say?

A list of things in Halo Infinite content wise that prior Halo games do not have, or had to a far less significant degree.

1 - An actual fully explorable open world
2 - armor upgrades
3 - forward operating bases
4 - high value target assassination missions and dossiers
5 - outposts missions
6 - a tacmap
7 - vehicle and weapons requisitions at forward operating bases (we can also include the most weapon variants of any past Halo title also)
8 - grappleshot as well as the ability to literally reach just about ANY location in the entire environment. (Unprecedented for the franchise)
9 - the introduction of the shock or electric damage type.
10 - threat sensor
11 - ammo refill stations
12 - armor lockers
13 - marine distress calls
14 - random encounters
15 - the ability to observe from distance and properly plan out and approach encounters from any direction, even the sky.
16 - more boss fights than any prior Halo Campaign ever
17 - spartan cores
18 - by far optional objectives
19 - more audio log content than in any prior Halo game
20 - Almost forgot the game's valor system that allows you to unlock more advanced weapons, vehicles and marines at forward operating bases.
21 - the ability to grab and throw fusion coils.
22 - first halo with zero fall damage even from way up in the sky?
23 - multiple hidden caves, mountain entrances and underground areas with secrets.

It can't be a step down if Halo Infinite at launch had all of the above that was either totally absent in prior games or done in significantly smaller fashion.

Even the MP introduced totally new things such as a training mode with bots, weapon drills, academy etc.

Needless to say, Halo Infinite is the truest simulation for a Halo universe Spartan Super Soldier in the entire franchise and it has collected numerous GOTY awards as well as other big rewards reflecting how good a game it was.

Multiple GOTY awards, DICE Action Game of the Year Award, Gameinformer GOTY 2021, Game Awards Player Voice Award and countless others I have no time to list.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Not a lie. Read — technicality. You are using an imperfect system of subjective reviews to try and convince others that Xbox have delivered something more substantial than PlayStation have. As soon as you start digging into the games and reviews, your argument completely falls apart.

I don’t know what to tell you - if you think that…

- Forza
- Ori
- Flight Sim
- Sea of Thieves
- Bleeding Edge
- Pentiment
- Grounded
- Halo Infinite

are on par with the consistency, volume and quality of Sony’s first party output this gen…

- Last of Us PS5
- Ghost of Tsushima DC
- Death Stranding DC
- Ratchet and Clank
- Returnal
- Horizon Forbidden West
- God of War Ragnarok
- Sackboy Adventures
- Gran Turismo 7
- Demons Souls
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Nioh Collection
- Destruction All-Stars
- Astrobot

…then Microsoft is wasting a ton of money on these acquisitions. Little did they know, all they needed to do was feed the majority of their fanbase a gem and a couple mediocre titles every couple of years to create an offering equivalent to Sony and Nintendo. Magical.

Last edited:

Akuza89

Honestly at this point, i'm looking out for 3rd party game pass games dropping in either day 1 or after.
Any 1st party games are just a plus.
This is why you have multiple systems really.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Your first mistake is including Deathloop. That's from Bethesda. It wasn't even included as part of the 2021 best publisher list for Xbox Game Studios. They only counted 'Xbox Game Studios.' You calling Deathloop a PS5 exclusive holds zero relevance.

And what kind of fanboy nonsense is a response that says Psychonauts 2 is multi-platform game? Why exactly would any of that matter? It's still a top tier game developed by a Microsoft first party studio. The game collected multiple GOTY accolades. Still one of the best games released this gen. The studio has spoken extensively as to how much Xbox's support allowed them to make a better game than they would have without them.

Thought you would have nothing to say on Forza Horizon 5 except Halo Infinite is just as good.

Halo Infinite launched as one of the strongest games in the franchise's history, and the most ambitious Halo Campaign in history. Step down content wise from previous games you say?

A list of things in Halo Infinite content wise that prior Halo games do not have, or had to a far less significant degree.

1 - An actual fully explorable open world
2 - armor upgrades
3 - forward operating bases
4 - high value target assassination missions and dossiers
5 - outposts missions
6 - a tacmap
7 - vehicle and weapons requisitions at forward operating bases (we can also include the most weapon variants of any past Halo title also)
8 - grappleshot as well as the ability to literally reach just about ANY location in the entire environment. (Unprecedented for the franchise)
9 - the introduction of the shock or electric damage type.
10 - threat sensor
11 - ammo refill stations
12 - armor lockers
13 - marine distress calls
14 - random encounters
15 - the ability to observe from distance and properly plan out and approach encounters from any direction, even the sky.
16 - more boss fights than any prior Halo Campaign ever
17 - spartan cores
18 - by far optional objectives
19 - more audio log content than in any prior Halo game
20 - Almost forgot the game's valor system that allows you to unlock more advanced weapons, vehicles and marines at forward operating bases.
21 - the ability to grab and throw fusion coils.
22 - first halo with zero fall damage even from way up in the sky?
23 - multiple hidden caves, mountain entrances and underground areas with secrets.

It can't be a step down if Halo Infinite at launch had all of the above that was either totally absent in prior games or done in significantly smaller fashion.

Even the MP introduced totally new things such as a training mode with bots, weapon drills, academy etc.

Needless to say, Halo Infinite is the truest simulation for a Halo universe Spartan Super Soldier in the entire franchise and it has collected numerous GOTY awards as well as other big rewards reflecting how good a game it was.

Multiple GOTY awards, DICE Action Game of the Year Award, Gameinformer GOTY 2021, Game Awards Player Voice Award and countless others I have no time to list.
Ambitious campaign? Are you high? The campaign features the same copied and pasted green fields and metal hallways, and it took them 6 fucking years to release that. It sweeps the story they spent two games building under the rug in favor of a new arc that will go no where as well. Even halo 5 had more variety than halo infinite’s frankensteined together campaign. And as a life long halo fan, it doesnt matter that the gameplay was strong, it was missing key features for almost a full year. Halo infinite is in my opinion the most dissapointing game in the series, its reflective of the development hell and mismanagement that suffered. The release state was absolutely unacceptable and it some how, even after 6 years, really needed another delay for it to have launched as a full featured halo game. Compare halo infinite to the initial trailer from 2018, and you can see just how badly they overestimated what they would be able to ship. That trailer featured multiple biomes, weather, and wild life. The final game has some birds and rodents, one type of environment and no weather.

Last edited:
Ambitious campaign? Are you high? The campaign features the same copied and pasted green fields and metal hallways, and it took them 6 fucking years to release that. It sweeps the story they spent two games building under the rug in favor of a new arc that will go no where as well. Even halo 5 had more variety than halo infinite’s frankensteined together campaign. And as a life long halo fan, it doesnt matter that the gameplay was strong, it was missing key features for almost a full year. Halo infinite is in my opinion the most dissapointing game in the series, its reflective of the development hell and mismanagement that suffered. The release state was absolutely unacceptable and it some how, even after 6 years, really needed another delay for it to have launched as a full featured halo game. Compare halo infinite to the initial trailer from 2018, and you can see just how badly they overestimated what they would be able to ship. That trailer featured multiple biomes, weather, and wild life. The final game has some birds and rodents, one type of environment and no weather.

It's the most ambitious halo campaign in history. No prior Halo Campaign comes close to the offering presented. The fact you mention random animals like rodents and birds as somehow being relevant to the overall game makes me doubt whether or not I should take you seriously. You talk of development hell. With 98 reviews it has been reviewed as strongly as some of the best games in the industry.

72oe2Mc.jpg

Many publications awarded it a perfect score. It has won multiple GOTY awards and other major awards. And I don't want to hear any nonsense about "key features" for almost a full year. It had tons of brand new features no Halo game had ever had before it. You mention weather like all past Halo games have weather or something lol. Halo Infinite is the first game in the franchise that even has something like a dynamic fog system (which also counts as weather) and a full day-night cycle.

And did you seriously just type "And as a life long halo fan, it doesnt matter that the gameplay was strong"???

Sir, goodbye. We are done here.

Spongebob Squarepants Good Luck GIF

zzill3

Banned
Not a lie. Read — technicality. You are using an imperfect system of subjective reviews to try and convince others that Xbox have delivered something more substantial than PlayStation have. As soon as you start digging into the games and reviews, your argument completely falls apart.

List wars

Your exact words were ‘Maybe if you close your eyes and believe hard enough, these technicalities will become true.’ For something to become true if you believe hard enough, any reasonable person would think you’re saying it’s not true to begin with.

It’s interesting that your lists are missing a load of content released by Microsoft while you’re even adding in remakes and remasters the Sony list. I think if you find yourself doing that you know full well that your comment doesn’t hold any water. Pretty much proves my point that all the Microsoft hate is just console wars, and no amount of content they release is gonna make people think well of them.

If you want to hate xbox, that’s fine, just don’t pretend it’s because of a lack of games, when you’re just going to ignore the games they do release.

Umbasaborne

Banned
It's the most ambitious halo campaign in history. No prior Halo Campaign comes close to the offering presented. The fact you mention random animals like rodents and birds as somehow being relevant to the overall game makes me doubt whether or not I should take you seriously. You talk of development hell. With 98 reviews it has been reviewed as strongly as some of the best games in the industry.

72oe2Mc.jpg

Many publications awarded it a perfect score. It has won multiple GOTY awards and other major awards. And I don't want to hear any nonsense about "key features" for almost a full year. It had tons of brand new features no Halo game had ever had before it. You mention weather like all past Halo games have weather or something lol. Halo Infinite is the first game in the franchise that even has something like a dynamic fog system (which also counts as weather) and a full day-night cycle.

And did you seriously just type "And as a life long halo fan, it doesnt matter that the gameplay was strong"???

Sir, goodbye. We are done here.

Spongebob Squarepants Good Luck GIF
Lol okay, keep being fine with unfinished games and thats what youll continue to get.

fallingdove

Your exact words were ‘Maybe if you close your eyes and believe hard enough, these technicalities will become true.’ For something to become true if you believe hard enough, any reasonable person would think you’re saying it’s not true to begin with.

It’s interesting that your lists are missing a load of content released by Microsoft while you’re even adding in remakes and remasters the Sony list. I think if you find yourself doing that you know full well that your comment doesn’t hold any water. Pretty much proves my point that all the Microsoft hate is just console wars, and no amount of content they release is gonna make people think well of them.

If you want to hate xbox, that’s fine, just don’t pretend it’s because of a lack of games, when you’re just going to ignore the games they do release.
Yup - those were my exact words.

‘Maybe if you close your eyes and believe hard enough, these technicalities will become true.’

This would also apply to half-truths or fantasies.

I don’t think I remembered all of the first party PS5 titles either. What did I leave off of the SX list Gears 5, Gears Tactics and State of Decay 2? The point still stands - Gem and a couple of mediocre titles every couple of years.

I don’t hate Xbox. I actually really like my series X. I just wish I was playing more than indies and backwards compatible games on it.

Lol okay, keep being fine with unfinished games and thats what youll continue to get.

What was unfinished about it? My biggest priority was being able to play the campaign story start to finish to enjoy the gameplay and story. Was I somehow deprived of doing so? I wanted an awesome Master Chief story where I battled against the banished on Zeta Halo, I got just that. I wanted to see if a cool mystery was there to be discovered on Zeta Halo. It was that and then some. I fail to see how it can be classified as unfinished if was loaded with content and gameplay options that were simply never present in any past Halo Campaign.

And each time anybody brings up "environments" I'm puzzled for one reason: you can combine every single location in Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo 5, and even then you will find that the terrain and general topographic make up of the map layouts are significantly more unique and diverse in Halo Infinite. Don't let palette swaps fool you. Much of Halo 3, Halo 4 and Halo 5's locations playout less dynamically and with far less freedom and gameplay options than those present in Halo Infinite. I remember the opening "jungle" of Halo 3's opening and how limited your tactical options were. I remember the "flood" level and how limited your tactical options were. I remember Tsavo Highway and how much more limited your tactical options were. I can pick any single location across Halo Infinite's open world and the freedom and possibilities are near infinite in comparison to the practical preset turning of pages in prior Halo campaigns. Halo Infinite gives the player more agency, more ability to dictate how it all goes.

The game had a beginning, a middle, and an end with incredible gameplay (this can't be stressed enough, best gameplay in the franchise) and boss encounters throughout, and a very well executed story. It also had by far the best primary antagonist of the series in War Chief Escharum. Not a single prophet topped him. The Didact was cool, but Escharum was more impressive. Can't wait for future stories. Also very much enjoyed the tease that the Harbinger provided for what's to come.

Sleepwalker

Gears of war is the only MS IP I care about nowadays and thats because its mindless fun with the wife in local coop. I wanted Halo to be that but they made us wait 2 years and then showed us the finger so im done with that franchise.

The rest of their catalogue is frankly not appealing to me at all, there's better racers (or at least more interesting to me) than forza. GP is just a way to try some third party games.

This will change if actiblizzard deal goes thru as Diablo is cool and I like COD. Hopefully they revive guitar hero and some other dormant ips. (And get double fine to make brutal legend 2)

Dont care about bethesda, ive owned most of their games and havent finished a single one and dont like Doom either.

So no, it looks like MS 2023 wont be for me, but theres always 2024 and 2025 and 2026...

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

You'll be lying to yourself if you think their output has been similar to Sony's this generation. It also doesn't help the fact that they closed out the last 3-4 years of the generation with a lackluster lineup.

I expect RedFall to be meh, Starfield to feel archaic, Forza to be a lil worse than usual cause it’ll be more piecemeal, and hopefully Hellblade is a bigger scope than 6-8 hours with better gameplay. Hollow Knight Silksong is a great get for Gamepass though.

Top Bottom