• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Now Claims It's Actually Serious About Releasing Four First-Party Games Every Year

Good - and so they should. They’ve got a lot of studios who don’t tend to push things forward technologically speaking, so they should be able to get them out at a decent clip,

ms: 'as you've obviously noticed at this point, & despite the fact that we've periodically 'talked the talk', we've never really been serious about releasing several big titles a year. but, now? now, we're proud to announce that we're actually serious about doing so...'

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

Remember when Microsoft just naturally did this and you didn't need years of broken PR promises?

Uh what? Most of those are 3rd party. Also most of them would get shit on by gamers today. Why? Because they are mostly 8/10 games. Serviceable, fun, some stand-out moments, not perfectly polished, a bit experimental, execution not always working out, laying a foundation, memorable. But that's not fucking good enough anymore, right? We do have exactly that quality of output. I've been here seeing it every damn year, unable to get through everything I'm interested in and enjoy because there is just so damn much, but I just see people endlessly complaining. What gamers who complain like this need to ask themselves is when did they stop liking games?

It's awesome to see what Microsoft has brought together under the Xbox first party banner.
Good times ahead.
Yes they brought exactly zero games Xbox weren't already getting. Why? Because instead of coming up with new or expanding their own ips, they bought ones they were already getting.

Make that cringe statement when you see some new ips. Not when they release cod annually.

Yes they brought exactly zero games Xbox weren't already getting. Why? Because instead of coming up with new or expanding their own ips, they bought ones they were already getting.

Make that cringe statement when you see some new ips. Not when they release cod annually.
The same could be said of Sony. Every single studio they bought they were already getting games made by them.
By your logic, Sony and MS going back and making a new Killzone or Perfect Dark is a waste, hecause they were always going to have games of IPs they already own.
It's not a strong point of argument.

I will repeat, it's an awesome group of studios that Microsoft has brought together for the first party studios.
Good times ahead.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just looked over 2022. Supposedly a dogshit year to be stuck with an Xbox.

I mean if you only had Xbox these are the only pretty good looking games you got:

Feb 4 Dying Light 2 Stay Human
Feb 8 OlliOlli World
Feb 14 Cyberpunk 2077
Feb 17 King of Fighters XV
Feb 22 Destiny 2: The Witch Queen, Monster Crown
Feb 24 Assetto Corsa Competizione
Feb 25 Elden Ring, Grid Legends
Mar 1 Shadow Warrior 3, Far: Changing Tides
Mar 11 WWE 2K22
Mar 15 GTA5 next gen version
Mar 16 Paradise Killer, Tunic
Mar 18 Stranger of Paradise: FF Origin
Mar 25 Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Mar 29 Apex Legends, Crusader Kings III
Mar 31 Tropico 6
April 5 Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga, MLB the Show 2022, World War Z: Aftermath
April 7 Chinatown Detective Agency
April 18 Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
April 21 Moto GP 22
April 28 Rogue Legacy 2
May 5 Trek to Yomi
May 10 Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
May 13 Evil Dead
May 17 Umurangi Generation
May 26 Sniper Elite 5
May 27 Kao the Kangaroo
Jun 1 Lake
Jun 2 Souldiers
Jun 10 The Quarry
Jun 13 Next gen updates for RE2, 3, 7
Jun 16 TMNT Shredder's Revenge, Redout 2, Omori
Jun 21 ESO High Isle, Fall Guys, Shadowrun Trilogy
Jun 23 Deliver Us the Moon, Naraka: Bladepoint, Sonic Origins
Jun 24 Capcom Fighting Collection
Jun 29 Azure Striker Gunvolt
Jul 1 F1 22
Jul 8 Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series, AI: The Somnium Files – Nirvana Initiative
Jul 19 As Dusk Falls, FH5 Hot Wheels
Jul 29 RimWorld
Aug 9 Two Point Campus
Aug 11 Cult of the Lamb, Rumbleverse
Aug 18 Cursed to Golf
Aug 19 Madden NFL 23
Aug 23 Saints Row
Aug 25 SD Gundam Battle Alliance, Soul Hackers 2
Aug 30 Destroy All Humans! 2: Reprobed, Tinykin, Zero Escape
Sept 2 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle R
Sept 6 Biomutant, Temtem
Sept 8 Steelrising
Sept 9 NBA 2K23
Sept 15 Metal: Hellsinger, Outer Wilds
Sept 23 Prodeus
Sept 27 Grounded, Moonscars
Sept 29 Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
Sept 30 FIFA 23
Oct 11 Asterigos: Curse of the Stars, No More Heroes III
Oct 14 Scorn, NHL 23, PGA Tour 2K23
Oct 18 A Plague Tale: Requiem, Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed
Oct 21 Gotham Knights, New Tales from the Borderlands, Persona 5 Royale
Oct 25 Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Oct 26 Return to Monkey Island
Oct 27 Signalis
Oct 28 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
Nov 8 Sonic Frontiers, Football Manager 2023
Nov 10 Vampire Survivors
Nov 15 Pentiment, Somerville
Nov 18 The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me
Nov 21 Superliminal
Nov 22 Evil West, Gungrave G.O.R.E, Just Dance 2023
Nov 29 The Knight Witch
Dec 2 Midnight Suns, The Callisto Protocol, NFS Unbound
Dec 8 Chained Echoes
Dec 13 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion, High on Life
Dec 15 River City Girls 2

Damn, don't know how some people be starving like that. Absolutely nothing to play. Just waiting around. How do they live without a PS5, Switch, or gaming PC?

Last edited:
The equivalent of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

There's a reason why Nintendo and PlayStation continue to bend these guys over in terms of critically acclaimed first party titles.

There's no finesse, no nuiance. Just the old American way of trying to bulldoze/brute force their way to the top.

Oh and they never shut the fuck up about it and let the games do the talking.

Last edited:

There's a reason why Nintendo and PlayStation continue to bend these guys over in terms of critically acclaimed first party titles.

There's no finesse, no nuiance. Just the old American way of trying to bulldoze/brute force their way to the top.

There's way too much emotion in your post.

L*][*N*K

Banned

Please don’t put PlayStation and Nintendo in the same sentence, Sony threw one shit at a wall in 2013 and has been throwing it over and over and over again

ZehDon

Gold Member
They've spent billions to get to this point. 343i and Redfall embarrassed the hell out of them. It seems the time has finally arrived to see if God Emperor Spencer is completely full of shit.

if u want play all of them sure. I don't think rent is smart. Subscription services are good for companies if it was better for consumers they won't be doing.
Actually, subscription services work out in favour for customers easily enough. The reason they're run is to milk re-occurring revenue from whales, while providing an easy "drop in, drop out" service to capture the one offs. Microsoft learned this lesson years ago: it's hard to get people to fork out hundreds upfront for Office, but it's easy as pie to get them to fork out a few bucks for Office each month. This lowers the barrier to entry, allowing them to capture more revenue in total. As long as the purchase cost of the games you play on Game Pass - be they first or third party - in a given year exceeds the cost of your yearly subscription, Game Pass is a good deal. For me, it's a very good deal.

Last edited:

Rockman33

if u want play all of them sure. I don't think rent is smart. Subscription services are good for companies if it was better for consumers they won't be doing.
I used to love renting games. Beating them and then buying them when they get reduced in price.

Back then the people who ran xbox understood that games are the product.
Been saying it since forever. They'll never get back the 360 era with the people they currently have in charge.

It was the only time in their history where they genuinley had PS bent over. Nevermind the hardware issues, the 360 was flying off the shelves and the games catalog was lit. My first time I ever considered a console other than a Playstation.

They've spent billions to get to this point. 343i and Redfall embarrassed the hell out of them. It seems the time has finally arrived to see if God Emperor Spencer is completely full of shit.

Actually, subscription services work out in favour for customers easily enough. The reason they're run is to milk re-occurring revenue from whales, while providing an easy "drop in, drop out" service to capture the one offs. Microsoft learned this lesson years ago: it's hard to get people to fork out hundreds upfront for Office, but it's easy as pie to get them to fork out a few bucks for Office each month. This lowers the barrier to entry, allowing them to capture more revenue in total. As long as the purchase cost of the games you play on Game Pass - be they first or third party - in a given year exceeds the cost of your yearly subscription, Game Pass is a good deal. For me, it's a very good deal.
I think for Xbox and Microsoft, subscription works in two areas.
1. Microsoft has seen subscription services for music and movies take over the delivery method for consumption. Consumers have voted with their wallets, and there is no turning back.
It is only logical that gaming would be the next frontier for subscription services in the delivery of games, especially when games are so much more expensive compared with music or movies.

Internally, Microsoft has seen the demand and growth in subscription services for their own software like Office 365.
The requirement for a gaming subscription boils down to content, content and more content. Hence, the aquisitions from MS.

2. As Phil Spencer said in an interview, people have already invested in their digital libraries during the PS4/Xbone generation, so to get someone to move across from PS to Xbox in this day and age is difficult, because no one is going to walk away from the library to adopt a new one. The cost to then start buying new games to play on your new system is very cost prohibitive.
The beauty of Gamepass is that now a person just has to pay a small monthly fee of $15 and they have access to a massive digital library including all of Xboxs first party games day and date. This makes the move to Xbox from PS alot easier.

Are we not emotional creatures?
Sure, but there is so much emotion about a game box. Microsoft hasn't done anything to you personally. They haven't slept either your partner, they haven't called you names during high school. They are mearly a company that makes a game console and games.
I game on Xbox. I do so because my friends do, and I was coming from the One X and had a digital library already.
I think alot of what Sony does is wack. I think they are arrogant. I think they are hypocritical as well, but at the end of the day, I can differentiate between Sony the company and the Playstation console and their games.
I have no issue with getting a PS and playing the good games on it.
Think of it like music. You might think Warner Bros are cunts, but does that stop you listening to music from artists that are signed with them?
Same goes for movies. I think the Weinsteins are fuckheads, but I can still watch a movie that is made via their production company.

AmuroChan

They owned 16 studios in 2019 when they made those comments. They bought 8 more in 2020 and then 12 more last year.

if they cant release 4 games per year from 36 studios then we have some real problems. Even with 6 year dev times, they should be able to release 6 games a year.

And some of those studios have multiple teams. There's absolutely no excuse that they can't release 4 games a year.

Ozriel

M$FT

Ah yes. Famed third party IPs like Towerborne, MS Flight Sim, Fable, Forza, South of Midnight and Avowed.

Zero games indeed. Zero new games or studio expansions or publishing deals

If the purchase goes through, then yes, COD will be a multiplatform first party title.

SpiceRacz

Oh, now they're serious?

hlzZPN6.png

Riky

$MSFT
Already managed this year to achieve that, so looking forward it shouldn't be a problem. Even better lots of big single player content in the pipeline, the home of the western RPG.
I think we're approaching a period of 360 era like goodness.

They'll do it for next year for sure and maybe the year after, just by virtue of so many of their games now coming towards the end of the development
I can't see it happening every year mind

skyfall

I would love to be a fly on the wall and see what these people and studios do all day. I would love to be paid to be in an industry I like and barley have to do any actual work.

The same could be said of Sony. Every single studio they bought they were already getting games made by them.
By your logic, Sony and MS going back and making a new Killzone or Perfect Dark is a waste, hecause they were always going to have games of IPs they already own.
It's not a strong point of argument.

I will repeat, it's an awesome group of studios that Microsoft has brought together for the first party studios.
Good times ahead.
Reee Sony too reee Sony.
Are some of you incapable of discussing Xbox without bringing up Sony?
Ok how many publishers have Sony bought? Zero. They bought a few studios and mainly in response to Xbox buying up the industry.

What games were Sony getting before they decided to buy up every publisher. I'll wait for your answer. Yeah repeat your pat on the back to Phil for bringing you zero games you weren't already getting .

O Ozriel I know you love damage control bro but come on.. Forza and flight sim are the same ips ms have released for years and I don't even understand why you would even bring them up. Irrelevant to the point of cheering on Xbox buying ips Xbox they were already getting. Avowed yes is a new game that's being developed after a purchase I'll give you that one, but it's not even out yet or is fable (fable isn't new and Xbox were already getting it).
I said zero games Xbox weren't already getting from 3rd parties. I never said they weren't making zero games...

Montauk

Meh, you had 3 years. Im good.

I will prob sell my series X and get a PS5 pro at some point 🤷‍♂️

Random but I always feel the urge to say that the PS5 pad feels a whole generation ahead of the Series pad.

MS really flopped there. Damn the Xbox pad is really noisy and the rumble is super basic.

The PS5 pad feels so much better it’s ridiculous. I defy anyone to not play Astros Playroom and not be impressed.

Holy shit the haptic stuff is amazing man.

Last edited:

havoc00

Random but I always feel the urge to say that the PS5 pad feels a whole generation ahead of the Series pad.

MS really flopped there. Damn the Xbox pad is really noisy and the rumble is super basic.

The PS5 pad feels so much better it’s ridiculous. I defy anyone to not play Astros Playroom and not be impressed.

Holy shit the haptic stuff is amazing man.

Not enough games take advantage of it sadly

Top Bottom