• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Starfield have Denuvo?

Denuvo

• Yes

Votes: 46 68.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters

Bernoulli

M2 slut
We are used to bethesda games not having Denuvo

but since the Microsoft acquisition Deathloop Ghostwire and Redfall all had Denuvo

Will starfield have denuvo too and does that affect mods? On steam i see that it needs to be online

Sybrix

EfRGrFFUcAAVoMo

Robb

Gold Member
Hopefully not. And hopefully you won’t have to sign in to that stupid Bethesda.net stuff to play the game like with Redfall either.

Laptop1991

Yes i believe so, Dishonored 2 had it, and i remember an update to Doom Eternal that introduced an anti cheat rootkit that caused a lot of backlash that had to be removed, so they haven't changed,

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I was already in like hundreds of times over before playing the demo, but holy shit, it's legitimate and unbiased first contender for GOTY so far which is not a remake (RE4) and it's without a doubt the best SP FF since XII. I can't even imagine what PC you'll need to run this thing even @1080p 60 FPS maxed, cuz even though the game on the PS5 looks great (if not amazing) in motion - all textures look great from stones, rock, leather, iron etc., character models look amazing, you can clearly see on the static screenshots that PS5 can only handle this game with a ton of vaseline the name of which is AMD FSR (or something equivalent) + chromatic aberration. It's a bit less noticable during gameplay, but far more so during in-engine cut-scenes.

TnGTMyP.jpg
jF3gSm1.jpg
mGloOry.jpg

But again, it looks great in motion, which is more important. That's in Fidelity/Graphics mode btw.

Last edited:

acm2000

steam, maybe, ms store, nope

no one should give a damn either way as its really not that big of a deal, stop getting your panties in a twist.

Last edited:

Sybrix

This thread is almost worth a 'What year is it?!' meme.

Seriously does Denuvo still get people angry?

It's so matter of fact now that it's the norm and nothing will change it.

Juza

I think there is a compatibility issue with Creation Engine 1 but I don't know about CE2. also Denuvo blocks many mods which will prevent a lot of community fixes.

So, probably won't.

Last edited:

Sophist

It has been proved again and again that Denuvo induces worst performances, especially for loading times. An outage of the servers once prevented people to play games for two days. Also, modders can't temper the game files anymore.

SeraphJan

Sucks for us who only want better performance and modding capability, but publisher will most likely to implement Denuvo for big titles, piracy on PC was always a huge issue

Last edited:
Yes i believe so, Dishonored 2 had it, and i remember an update to Doom Eternal that introduced an anti cheat rootkit that caused a lot of backlash that had to be removed, so they haven't changed,
I still haven't changed my doom eternal review to positive on steam, even though the dev left a comment on my review asking me to. If I could have refunded it I would.

Bethesda would be crazy to implement Denuvo if it would hamper modding. Modding is one of the main reasons so many of their games have the longevity they do.
Imagine if the empress version was the only one that can be modded. People's heads would explode.

T4keD0wN

Bethesda has published tons of games with it, but no Bethesda Game Studio had it yet and i dont think that is going to change.

It seems like they wanted to make a very mod friendly game, drm could make that a headache as it forces you to update in order to play which could break mods. It sucks to have updates constantly break the mods/games and wait days for mod updates only for another update to release and break them again few days later.

Be good like CDPR and give me freedom to play the game without steam forcing shitty gamebricking updates on me.

Last edited:

Beechos

They prob want to delay what is prob the biggest pc game release in recent memory from being cracked by a day or 2.

Daniel Bryan Yes GIF

YuLY

Sadly it will probably have it, I hope it is only for a limited time since it kinda affects modding. And Bethesda and mods have gone hand in hand for like 2 decades now.

amigastar

Sadly it will probably have it, I hope it is only for a limited time since it kinda affects modding. And Bethesda and mods have gone hand in hand for like 2 decades now.
Yeah, i wouldn't mind if it would be for like 3-4 months and then they remove denuvo to make modding easier.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Redfall, Doom Eternal and Deathloop have Denuvo.
So does Ghostwire Tokyo, as stated by Bernoulli.

With this track record, Starfield is very likely to also use it.
But a game like Starfield is so heavy on CPU, to put another CPU heavy dependant DRM on top of it would be really stupid.

YuLY

Probably yes and it will ruin modding. Just when I think we will probably have story mods with new planets added that have hand crafted content by modders, they will go with Denuvo.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Almost all the PC game mods that run on their games use script extender code in a fan made dll. If they use Denuvo to try to claw a pathetic handful of sale from pirates, the stink will be legendary, and many long term fans will probably go out of their way to only use pre-hacked pirate copies in response.

StereoVsn

Almost all the PC game mods that run on their games use script extender code in a fan made dll. If they use Denuvo to try to claw a pathetic handful of sale from pirates, the stink will be legendary, and many long term fans will probably go out of their way to only use pre-hacked pirate copies in response.
Yep, and yet most likely it will still have Denuvo. You can make a similar argument about AMD partnership on PC side... and yet here we are.

Which is why pre-ordering thai game on PC is not something that anyone should be doing.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah with regards to mods I cant imagine them going with Denuvo, considering Todd said its a modders dream.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Steam page doesn't say it has (and should already if it had) plus it would kill mod support.

Last edited:

MrA

I wonder what the ven diagram of people that hate drm and those that slobber over digital only future looks like

GymWolf

After the partnership with amd i expect the worse, they clearly don't care about their game running well.

MMaRsu

Banned

Wrong, Elden Ring launched without it and sold millions

As do many other games.

Top Bottom