• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Bourne Supremacy get bad reviews? (Rotten Tomatoes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's way to early to tell, but 3 of the first five reviews are rotten. The first movie was good, but quotes like "overedited headache" and "a cold, calculating, virtual redux of the bourne identity that leaves a bitter aftertaste in its wake. Audiences have seen this all before, many times over." make me a little concerned.

I will see it regardless, but shouldn't these critics be giving this bonus points since it's opening opposite Catwoman?:) Please tell me you are all going to check this out instead of Catwoman.:)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bourne_supremacy/

Seeing the Bourne Supremacy was pretty much a lock for me since I liked the first film, and the Ebert & Roeper two thumbs up only cemented that opinion (not for their inevitable rating, but for the reasons why they liked it).

Reading RT too early is like paying attention to the local newspaper for movie reviews. My local paper thinks Starsky & Hutch and "Dodgeball" are both so bad that they shouldn't even deserve a 1 star out of 5 rating, and then bends over backwards with weeklong coverage on Catwoman. Ugh.

aparisi2274

Well Ebert & Roper gave it 2 Thumbs up, and Entertainment Weekly said its Brilliant.

Anyway, I am still going to go see it.

Pattergen

The clip of the car chase they showed on the MTV special was pretty nauseating. They basically used all freehand camera work... and from what I saw it doesn't work too well.

I never saw the first one, but after seeing the trailer for Bourne Supremacy, I want to watch it. The car chace looks fantastic.

Lazy

Not that my sister has particularly good taste in movies, but she saw a sneak preview of it tonight and loved every second of it. She said it was much, much better than the first one.

I can't wait.

Ryu

Bought the Bourne Identity super special extended hyper edition and it came with two free tickets to Bourne Supremacy. Can't go wrong with that.

It should also be known that I will see Catwoman because I have a free ticket to that thanks to my Batman DVD's I finally recieved. Sigh. I felt violated when I opened the box and saw that... but a free ticket is a free ticket.

Seth C

Ryu said:
Bought the Bourne Identity super special extended hyper edition and it came with two free tickets to Bourne Supremacy. Can't go wrong with that.

It should also be known that I will see Catwoman because I have a free ticket to that thanks to my Batman DVD's I finally recieved. Sigh. I felt violated when I opened the box and saw that... but a free ticket is a free ticket.

Two free tickets? You got lucky. It was only supposed to have one in there. :)

Ristamar

Crazymoogle said:
Reading RT too early is like paying attention to the local newspaper for movie reviews. My local paper thinks Starsky & Hutch and "Dodgeball" are both so bad that they shouldn't even deserve a 1 star out of 5 rating...

Well, they may be close to right about one of them, and it isn't Dodgeball...

That being said, I think "Supremacy" will be merely decent at worst.

Firest0rm

I loved the scene in the first one when the dude jumped out the window. Man that was so random and the way he flipped was hilarious.

Drensch

I haven't seen Bourne Identity, but I saw the Supremacy Tuesday night. It kicked ass, especially in this crappy summer of movies.

SyNapSe

I saw Bourne Identity in the theatres knowning nothing about it. I didn't realize it was a set of books, or anything, however, I loved it. Very entertaining film, so naturally I can't wait for The Bourne Supremacy.

I don't like the crazy rushes on Friday nights though, so I'll probably go during the day on Sat. or Sun.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The books are great, from the looks of it this film doesnt follow the second book at all though, not a big supprise as the first film didnt really follow the first book very well either.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I kind of want to see it. The first movie would have been great if it had a plot, hopefully this one will. Though I've been thinking of going to see Collateral, Tom Cruise has been picking some good movies and it looked interesting from the trailer.

Ghost said:
The books are great, from the looks of it this film doesnt follow the second book at all though, not a big supprise as the first film didnt really follow the first book very well either.

The book was set 20 years ago when the USSR still existed and I was born, so I can't blame the script too much.

BioFan

Not sure if there is an official thread for this movie. Saw it today and LOVE IT!!
best movie of the year!!!

I saw it, really enjoyed the movie. I didn't think it was as good as the first one though, but it was definatly worth the price of admission, and the ability to mock anybody who came out of Catwoman.

I can only use one word:
FRANCHISE

aparisi2274

I saw it tonight. I loved it. My friend liked it alot as well, but since he read the books, he was a little annoyed because this movie has almost nothing intact from the books. Anyway, I still liked it alot. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

Phoenix

I loved the first movie so this one was a given. Talked to some people at work who has seen it last week (preview) and they loved it.

Leon

I saw it tonight too. The best way to put it is : It's the best of the old and tired movies of its kind.

suaveric

My only problem was the hand held camera action. Some times the "you are there" thing worked, but at times it was a bit too much (car chase). Overall though, it was good. I have no idea where they'll go with Ultimatum though, considering they've veered so far off the books' path.

Ryu

That handheld camera shit was annoying as all fuck. That one fight with the other agent could have been SO much better if they fixed that.

Otherwise, Bourne is a very cool character. These have been a very good pair of movies. :)

fart

Savant
this movie was so terrible. i went home and immediately puked

i'm not kidding. mouth -> vomit -> toilet.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Supremacy was much more slower paced than I remember Identity to be... there was definitely a good story there but the pacing just seemed so off... and WTF... we got a few pulled back fight scenes in the first movie and the occasional handheld close up camera fight scenes, and in this one... no pulled back fight scenes... that's disappointing.

For all those that don't know... there's one more book in this trilogy IIRC The Bourne Ultimatum. I own all 3 but haven't read them yet... but IIRC the books are very, VERY different than the movie... so there's some SERIOUS adaptation going on to even be able to call these things Bourne movies... I mean the plot of the 2nd book is very different(except for a small point), and there's a major plot point destroyed by this movie that again will result in some major revisionary history to get the 3 "book" on to the movie screen.

Seeing as the things was sold out all night, I think it's safe to say it'll be #1 this weekend.

yea the shaky cam bits were really annoying and useless considering the first movie was able to pull off the fight scenes without resorting to shaky cam.

just a poor choice by the Director.

great movie overall i enjoyed the pacing. It gave time to build tension and expose the motivations of the characters.

suaveric

DarienA said:
Supremacy was much more slower paced than I remember Identity to be... there was definitely a good story there but the pacing just seemed so off... and WTF... we got a few pulled back fight scenes in the first movie and the occasional handheld close up camera fight scenes, and in this one... no pulled back fight scenes... that's disappointing.

For all those that don't know... there's one more book in this trilogy IIRC The Bourne Ultimatum. I own all 3 but haven't read them yet... but IIRC the books are very, VERY different than the movie... so there's some SERIOUS adaptation going on to even be able to call these things Bourne movies... I mean the plot of the 2nd book is very different(except for a small point), and there's a major plot point destroyed by this movie that again will result in some major revisionary history to get the 3 "book" on to the movie screen.

Seeing as the things was sold out all night, I think it's safe to say it'll be #1 this weekend.

I have read the trilogy. They've gone so far of course in the first two movies that the only thing the thrid movie and book will have in common is the title and the character named Jason Bourne.

That said, I've enjoyed both movies and all three books. I just hope for Ultimatum that Doug Liman (directed Identity) agrees to direct it or whoever they get will not be morally opposed to using a steady cam every once in a while.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No, but seriously, I didn't enjoy it much. Felt too 'been there, done that.' And Julia Stiles? Yikes.

Still, way better than that crapity Afflek movie that came out at the same time. Sum of all Fears?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Bourne Supremacy ROCKED. Damon is the man, Julia Stiles has a weird face and should not be in movies.

Car chase? ROCKIN
Crappy cam during the fight scenes? SUCKAGE
OVERALL? GOOD STUFF

I'll see it again in another week or so. Thumbs up!

Azih

the shaky cam went into extreme on the final car chase though.

Thing I loved about the final car chase (aside from the cameraman suffering seizures) was that EVERYTHING was stacked completely against Bourne on that one.

Hah, Bourne had to do like 5 insanely clever things to get out of all the situations he found himself in.

AssMan

Banned
Does anyone know the name of the ending credits song from the movie? It was also from that mini movie, JFK Jr. and I was always looking for it. Can anyone help me out?

pestul

AssMan said:
Does anyone know the name of the ending credits song from the movie? It was also from that mini movie, JFK Jr. and I was always looking for it. Can anyone help me out?
Moby - Extreme Ways isn't it?

DarienA

Azih said:
the shaky cam went into extreme on the final car chase though.

Thing I loved about the final car chase (aside from the cameraman suffering seizures) was that EVERYTHING was stacked completely against Bourne on that one.

Hah, Bourne had to do like 5 insanely clever things to get out of all the situations he found himself in.

Yeah that final chase seen was definitely wild.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Just saw it. The Bourne Supremacy was quite riveting, and it kept you hooked right from the get-go since the pacing was fast. I was trying to remember the stuff that transpired from The Bourne Identity since I forgot most of the events that happened there, but it set in about midway through Supremacy...heh. The fight scenes and chases, although a handful, were knockouts to watch: The shaky cam and closeups made it sometimes difficult to keep track of who was hitting who and what was going on, but they were bearable and engrossing.

The plot was kinda heavy, but sorted itself out by the end of the film. I wonder what's going to transpire in The Bourne Ultimatum, if that ever comes around. I'll definitely be there for Jason Bourne the 3rd time around......this is the stuff Matt Damon excels at.

One of the better films this summer, Supremacy hooks, entertains, and intrigues all around. Thumbs up!

[That car chase through Moscow was crazy. And that cab Jason Bourne drives was quite......resilient! :p]

Ryu

[That car chase through Moscow was crazy. And that cab Jason Bourne drives was quite......resilient! :p]

Like the girl in your avatar... Always getting punched and punched and punched and punched... ;)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Ryu said:
Like the girl in your avatar... Always getting punched and punched and punched and punched... ;)

Heh.....exactly! How many times was Jason's teeny cab nailed by Mercedes Benzes' cars and SUVs? A whole lot! ^_^

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Saw it, liked it a lot, but not as good as the first IMO...

Hated the camera zoomed in and shakey during fights/chases...jesus the fighting in the first one was a big part of the draw.

Other annoying things that took away from surpassing the first...

- Same story?!? I felt at the end of number one, he had recovered his memories based on what had happened to him on that mission. Now again, he forgets what happened on a mission? Wish it was more than that.

- Same fighting?!? Ok in the first movie he manhandles some cops, and the guys at the embassy, and a agent in his apartment....in this one he manhandles some cops by their car, the guys at the airport security, and an agent in an apartment.

- Same action?!? First movie he escapes down a wall & pipe from embasy...this movie he escapes UP a wall/pipe. First movie he whips around town in that little car narrowly escaping the cops, this time he does it in a taxi...ok so that one is stretching it :p. First movie he sneaks into the enemies OWN building to comfront the "boss"...same thing here ending up with said boss dying, again.

Point is I was hoping for EXPANSION on the Jason Bourne character, not a review of his abilities and scenes from the first one. In the end, I liked it a lot...but it could have been sooooo much more.

So are the books better than the movie???

DarienA

Mr. Pockets
I don't know what Bourne Identity you saw but Jason did not recover from his amnesia at the end of the first movie.

suaveric

The books are much, much different than the movies. They take place over the late 70s-mid 80s, so they have a pretty big post Vietnam/Cold War slant to them. Also the Bourne character is much older in the books, he goes from his 40s to 50s over the course of the trilogy. Without giving anything away, there's also a major bad guy that runs throughout the books that has been completely cut from the movies. Basically the books and the movies share next to nothing of the same plots or even locations and characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom