• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Bourne Supremacy get bad reviews? (Rotten Tomatoes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Best Movie of the summer so far, and I have read all 4 books - Very different, but still excellent movie.

suaveric

How's that 4th book? Can you tell its a different author? If they haven't changed things like how Bond never ages book to book, isn't Bourne pushing 60 by now in Legacy?

Mugen

Banned
Best movie so far? Did you guys only see two movies this summer (other one being Catwoman)?

Anyways, it's a good movie but most of the action I just couldn't see. Though the car chase scene was really good but would've been better if I could see most of the action.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm definitely not going to be able to watch this in a theater. I didn't even make it through Speed 2, another notorious shaky-cam movie, without puking. There were three other people puking in the restroom while I was in there.
BTW, I saw every wide release that year in a theater, and every one the year before too, except Fled.

Alucard

Banned
I so need to see this. Bourne Identity was great. And Matt Damon is seriously one of the best actors this generation. Ever since I saw him in Good Will Hunting, my opinion of him has remained consistent. (I am discounting Stuck on You)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Heh.....exactly! How many times was Jason's teeny cab nailed by Mercedes Benzes' cars and SUVs? A whole lot! ^_^
I thought the same thing at first...then I paid attention. The cab is ALSO a Mercedes Benz, you can see the logo on the trunk.

Eyes, people! They're not just for sticking fingers in!

Blacklion

Other than feeling sick after the over use of a free hand cam during some fight scenes. (waaay too hard to follow the combats line of action) I liked everything else.

Phoenix

I don't know what jack-ass thought that shakey cam was a good idea but it isn't. It doesn't make you feel 'more there' it just annoys the hell out of you because it becomes harder adn harder to get a reference point in the frame and follow the action. It doesn't provide anything other than annoyance and nausea.

SyNapSe

I thought it was really great, altho I agree.. the shaky cam didn't do anything for the film. Only made it more difficult to follow the action.. silly.

Saw it this weekend......for others who saw it, can you explain to me what the heck was going on in the underwater part? You know the part I mean. Just what was he trying to accomplish with that breathing? Better use spoiler blackout to respond, that part is definately a spoiler.

I thought it was a very good movie, except for the handheld camera making the action scenes hard to follow.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Saw it this weekend......for others who saw it, can you explain to me what the heck was going on in the underwater part? You know the part I mean. Just what was he trying to accomplish with that breathing?
It could be that he knew he couldn't surface with her (otherwise he'd be shot), so he was trying to perform CPR underwater.

Meier

You people are nuts. Shakey cam RULES -- I feel sorry (although perplexed) how it could make you queasy too. I just watched Identity again today after seeing Supremacy (bought the new DVD last week) and even though I loved the first one when I saw it back on opening day and loved it again on DVD, Supremacy trumps it in every way.

Anyway, Paul Greengrass is a master of the shakey cam and you all seriously need to see his previous masterpiece, Bloody Sunday.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Alucard said:
And Matt Damon is seriously one of the best actors this generation. Ever since I saw him in Good Will Hunting, my opinion of him has remained consistent. (I am discounting Stuck on You)

I completely agree.

Phoenix

Meier said:
You people are nuts. Shakey cam RULES -- I feel sorry (although perplexed) how it could make you queasy too.

Cool, well while you're reading the site or the next time you're watching something on TV - keep bouncing your head around over and over and see how enjoyable that is :)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
bishoptl said:
I thought the same thing at first...then I paid attention. The cab is ALSO a Mercedes Benz, you can see the logo on the trunk.

Eyes, people! They're not just for sticking fingers in!

Oh it was? See, I would have noticed if the camera didn't shake as much. :p Plus, it would have helped had I not sat up close to the screen (the theater was packed, and I ended up sitting up front....not the utmost front, but a couple of aisles back. Eww.).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
SyNapSe said:
I thought it was really great, altho I agree.. the shaky cam didn't do anything for the film. Only made it more difficult to follow the action.. silly.

IAWTP

Awesome film, the script especially was fantastic, the way it all came together wasnt really a twist but it was still really engrosing.

If they can keep coming up with stories like this, and car chases this good, Bourne should be the new Bond.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Oh it was? See, I would have noticed if the camera didn't shake as much. :p Plus, it would have helped had I not sat up close to the screen (the theater was packed, and I ended up sitting up front....not the utmost front, but a couple of aisles back. Eww.).
Oh man...that sucks, you should have just left and returned for a later showing if the only available seats were up at the front. I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from the 2nd aisle in and spent the entire movie whipping my head back and forth like Stevie Wonder trying to get all the action AND read the subtitles. Ridiculous. I had to go see it again a couple of weeks later to fill in what I'd missed. :(

Iceman

shaky cam only hurt the movie. I think they could have worked some of those raw visuals in the middle of the action scenes here and there to accentuate the intensity.. if that's what they were going for.. but shaky cam for an entire 5 minute car chase or a 2 minute mano a mano = no!

FnordChan

Meier said:
Shakey cam RULES

While I liked the Bourne Supremacy quite a bit, I must say that I am officially tired of the Shakey Cam(tm) aesthetic. I think it works well in the car chase sequences, but the fight sequence in the apartment was just plain terrible. I kept wanting to buy those folks a choreographer.

I recently had the pleasure of watching Takahasi Miike's remake of Graveyard of Honor, which has memorable fight scenes for two reasons: they're astoundingly violent, and they're entirely straight-forward. The main character just walks up and begins to beat the hell out of people and the camera just sits there and watches it. No cuts, no shaking, just filming the scene as it unfolds. This shouldn't have been as refreshing as it was, but there you have it.

Anyway, Paul Greengrass is a master of the shakey cam and you all seriously need to see his previous masterpiece, Bloody Sunday.

Bloody Sunday was excellent, but if had been any more cinema verite, I was going to puke. A friend and I sat up near the front for about a half-hour, at which point I had to ask that we move to the back of the theatre. I rarely get motion sick at the theatre - I enjoyed the Blair Witch Project without a hitch - but Bloody Sunday had me just shy of projectile vomiting.

FnordChan

I saw Bourne Supremacy in the theaters in Downtown Disney. I loved Bourne Identity and walked out of Supremacy...thinking it was the top or 2nd best movie of the year so far. The shakey cam frankly didn't work in the first 15 minutes of the movie. As soon as it calmed itself down which is right when Bourne is waiting in the room to be interrogated after using his passport, the movie found its feet and just kept me glued. All of the intrigue from there on out was excellent.

I really appreciated the feeling of realism throughout the film, much like Indentity had. I was amazing that every important cast member from the previous film returned even for the smallest little bit part. The same title treatment was used on the end credits as was the song. Had the shakey cam not been so prevalent early on and in some spots in between I would have had a hard time believing someone other than Doug Liman directed the film.

Here is to another Bourne movie!

carpal

I dunno, I really missed Liman on this one. The story was great, but anytime there was something interesting happening on the screen, it was completely obliterated by horrible camera work. The car chase at the end, IMO, was hurt the worst by this garbage. I'll watch it again on DVD, but I definitely came away disappointed.

siege

Banned
The shakey cam didn't really bother me at all. I've seen it twice already and can't wait for the DVD. Awesome series so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom