• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Video Games adaptations replace super hero movies?

Will Video game adaptations become a trend to surpass super heroes?

• Yes

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • It will grow, but won't surpass

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No, not even close

Votes: 19 43.2%

• Total voters

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
So, i think everybody can see that super heroes shows and movies are already at a saturation point, and the industry is eager for a new trend to milk until dry again.

With the recent success of the last of us series, and the hype over super Mario movie. Do you think we are about to enter a new era of video game adaptations on tv and movies, to the point we will get more of those than super heroes movies?

Hopefully, the less superhero movies the better. They are mindless dumb garbage and the money/talent wasted on them could go to other interesting projects. Not necessarily video game adaptions...literally anything else that isn't marvel trash.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It reminds me, that long ago, it was considered a taboo to say that you were a fan of video games, because there was a lot of criticism, now people watch series like The last of us, Sometimes people don't know what they are saying. .. It's like girls, before they used to criticize a lot of videogames, now they "think they're gamers", which is seeing to believe that people are already interested in series or adaptations when they hated them before.

Doom85

Nah, they’ll just join superhero movies and there will be plenty of both coming out still, which is great for me especially when the supposed “better alternative” is a 3 hour film of blue people staring at sea life with a script that took over a decade in the making to be as perfectly mid as possible.

50 cent laughing GIF

I really hope not. When Hollywood gets done relentlessly milking Marvel/DC movies I wouldn’t be surprised if they start milking and ruining video game adaptations as well. They are creatively bankrupt.

Last edited:

Crayon

Never thought about it but maybe. Comics had their day before the movies took over. With games, the holder of the presumably relevant IP has motivation to not let it be damaged by a secondary business. Like Sony would have seen a whole list of money before handing off the sonyverse to Disney to fuck out.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
As much as I am burnt out with superhero movies, I wouldn't be too thrilled to see a bunch of movie adoptions of video games. Well there have some been okay ones recently, they're usually pretty terrible.

On top of that, most of the movies will be their own "universe" and not actually tie in to the canon of the video games they're adapting. A good case in point is like that Halo series where it has nothing to do with the video games and is like a separate universe.

In fact, I'm really worried about how they're going to adapt Warhammer 40,000. I know that's a tabletop game but has become very popular as a video game series as well. Warhammer 40,000 is really difficult to adapt into a live-action movie or series especially with all the craziness going on in that setting.

So to be honest, I'm not really interested in seeing movies adapted from video games. It's usually completely separate from the universe of the games themselves and they just end up sucking or at least mediocre.

Gametrek

Banned
The problem is when a game attempts to retell ( remake ) an origin story rather then making it an unlock-able or extra content to be added in.

Manga/Anime solves this problem in Japan. They just make an entirely new series/story-line that is self-contained. We do not need to know who the characters are unless
we opt for a tutorial. Take "Kirby" games that gives a small example that you kindly could skip or Lupin series.

Take "Star trek Klingons" ( whatever it was called on the PC ) or the "Dune" FMV games ( which was as about as accurate as you could get to "Macbeth" without ruining it.

With Trek they did there own thing, and had actors ( new random characters ).
With Dune they actually put you into the action with various outcomes ( not just the main story ).

I would like to see a Wolverine game where maybe you could go through his life and not have anything to do with "trumped up" origins of him being a rich kid, to him dying being flung around dimensions only to be saved by a little girl being left to die in the middle of nowhere like a joke.

Griffon

Yes.

Comics movies are on the way out. And video games IPs have more worldwide appeal.

Within the next two decades the biggest earners will all be game movies.

Last edited:
Lots of people are saying that, but it really makes no sense. The super hero movies rose to prominence with generally competent adaptions of beloved old stories. That's not what's happening anymore. Now that the good stories being properly adapted are gone suddenly everyone is "fatigued."

The same people making super hero movies suck would be the ones making game movies, which would therefore suck.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's funny because I was just thinking about this yesterday. Superhero movies are obviously on the decline (about damn time if you ask me) and everyone is primed and ready for a new fad to come in and replace it, but to be honest, video game movies seem like an unlikely candidate. They've been trying to make that happen since the 90s and the best it ever got was with the movies that weren't offensively bad, but weren't that great either. And the vast majority of them were just plain horrible and there's just too much stigma attached to this idea at this point.

Although maybe with the release of The Last of Us TV series, video game adaptations would finally get proper respect from the movie industry, but we may still have to wait for it to explode. Video game movies historically always failed mostly due to two major factors: interference from the studio or owners of the IP, or movie industry's lack of respect for the source material and their assumption that video games are stupid therefore it's up to them to "fix" the source material when translating it into screen. But TLoU showed what may happen when you let someone with an intimate knowledge and respect for the source material to do the job, so maybe it will help to open some eyes.

However, it also kinda shows that video game adaptations work better in a more lengthy format due to sheer amount of story that you have to work with. One of the other things that movie adaptations always struggled with too, was condensing dozens of hours of gameplay and story into a 2 hour movie, which could never be easy.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

They can add a little life to Superhero movies if each wasn't an identical structure. Origin story, mirror villian, big superhero decision/obstacle to end it.

Edgar Wright (before getting canned) had the right idea with Ant Man making it a heist movie.
People have been begging for years for a real "detective" batman like more with a who done it/film noire. A hulk/swamp thing mix horror movie like The Fly // Dr Jecal would be interesting. Superman has a great Spartacus like story which works with his character giving a whole planet hope with War World. Green Lantern could pull off a great Training Day/ Cop movie.

Superheros can work as characters . They don't need to be "superhero" movies and that mindset has created a massive pile of garbage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom