• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

William & Kate Royal Wedding |OT| 2000 Guests, 8000 Media, Est.2Billion Watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

X26

Banned
CHEEZMO™ said:
Nope.

Just people being dicks and trying to stop people having a good time. Ignore them.

People being dicks? More like people living in a democratic society finding it offensive that they need to go out every day to work their often terrible job in order to survive while seeing an entire family of undeserving people get to live a life of worry free privileged thanks to an archaic concept you don't see anymore outside of a few highly represses middle east countries

The existence of the royal family is demeaning to many people, and I find it embarrassing that my country is part of the commonwealth

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think they're undeserving of their life style, there are many wealthy people, a lot of people are considerably better off than a typical British Prince. And they don't just get to sit around all day doing nothing, they do work.

Omikaru

StuBurns said:
I don't think they're undeserving of their life style, there are many wealthy people, a lot of people are considerably better off than a typical British Prince. And they don't just get to sit around all day doing nothing, they do work.
You mean, "work"; they're the biggest benefit scroungers this nation has. They just have the influence to frame it in their favour. Their position is indefensible when you actually think about it. Scum, the lot of them.

"Bu-but tourism!" Utter rubbish. That argument doesn't even hold any weight. I challenge anyone to show me hard evidence that the royal family -- the people, not their many buildings they inhabit -- bring in tourism and I'll accept. But I doubt anyone can.

Edit: And as for the work William does in search & rescue, it's a job of convenience. He can work that until the Queen dies, and then take on Prince Charles' role, which is merely that of being a patron of charities and attending official functions. If I could work until I was in my mid 30s (really, how much longer is she going to last?) and then spend the rest of my time shaking hands with the serfs, I'd consider it a relatively easy life.

But no, as a matter of fact, I have to wallow in unemployment until I can get hired, and then I'm expected to become a corporate slug until I'm too old, at which point I'll be retired on a shite pension and treated like garbage. And who knows when that'll be, since the pension age just keeps on going up.

X26 said:
People being dicks? More like people living in a democratic society finding it offensive that they need to go out every day to work their often terrible job in order to survive while seeing an entire family of undeserving people get to live a life of worry free privileged thanks to an archaic concept you don't see anymore outside of a few highly represses middle east countries

The existence of the royal family is demeaning to many people, and I find it embarrassing that my country is part of the commonwealth

So are the Simmons, and yet they continue to exist...

X26

Banned
Solo said:
Prince William actually has to work next week apparently.

photo-ops must be tough on him

shame harry isn't the older one, his military duty actually doesn't look nearly as pr manufactured as his brother, the guy seems like he'd be awesome to drink with, and he has hair

StuBurns

Banned
Omikaru said:
You mean, "work"; they're the biggest benefit scroungers this nation has. They just have the influence to frame it in their favour. Their position is indefensible when you actually think about it. Scum, the lot of them.

"Bu-but tourism!"

Edit: And as for the work William does in search & rescue, it's a job of convenience. He can work that until the Queen dies, and then take on Prince Charles' role, which is merely that of being a patron of charities and attending official functions.
Well I've seen the Queen opening places a number of times, while I was at college she came and opened a Church, when I was at uni she opened a campus. Just because you think being in a car driven around the country then waving at people isn't work doesn't make it so. Even the Queen has a job, and she's an icon, she has a lot to live up to, I don't think it's a stress free position.

I like the firm, they seem to be good people, very intelligent, very charming, quite funny. They're cool. I'm glad we have them.

X26

Banned
StuBurns said:
Well I've seen the Queen opening places a number of times, while I was at college she came and opened a Church, when I was at uni she opened a campus. Just because you don't think being in a car driven around the country then waving at people isn't work doesn't make it so. Even the Queen has a job, and she's an icon, she has a lot to live up to, I don't think it's a stress free position.

I like the firm, they seem to be good people, very intelligent, very charming, quite funny. They're cool. I'm glad we have them.

The royal family are nothing but glorified walmart greeters

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Safe Bet said:
as an irish-american, i thought william deciding to don the uniform of the irish guard for his wedding was a very classy move
Why did he do this anyway?

They deployed out in Afghanistan or something?

X26 said:
photo-ops must be tough on him

shame harry isn't the older one, his military duty actually doesn't look nearly as pr manufactured as his brother, the guy seems like he'd be awesome to drink with, and he has hair

? people with hair are more genuine and make better drinking buddies?!?

Omikaru

StuBurns said:
Well I've seen the Queen opening places I've a number of times, while I was at college she came and opened a Church, when I was at uni she opened a campus. Just because you don't think being in a car driven around the country then waving at people isn't work doesn't make it so. Even the Queen has a job, and she's an icon, she has a lot to live up to, I don't think it's a stress free position.

The Queen's job is hardly work. I'd do it if I earned as much as she did. But oh, no, I can't, because I don't have inbred genes.

Media, PR, spin. They're an elitist cabal of right wing scumfucks who steal our cash and look down on us as inferior beings. They embody the class divide of this country (the right wing belief that you can't get anywhere on merit, but only on who your parents are and how much money they have), and perpetuate the idea that rich people should be worshipped. They're neither charming, funny (in fact, I'd say Prince Philip is a racist piece of shit -- yet his bigoted views are qualified as him having a "glint in his eye") or very intelligent.

The reason people praise the royals is because the media forces them on us, and conveniently covers up much of the bad news about them. Once you can see through the media smoke screen, you can see them for what they are.

I would have their ankles in iron until they paid back every dime they robbed from us.

StuBurns

Banned
X26 said:
The royal family are nothing but glorified walmart greeters
So? People don't give a fuck about a walmart greeter, they care about the Royal Family. Isn't it up to the public? If no one cared, fine, but that's not the case. Berating them because they have a better life than some people is pretty sad. There are people at GSK who'll work two years and never work again a day in their lives, live like lords, never have to do any crowd waving. The Royal Family have good lives, but it's not as if they're top of the pile by any stretch.

Omikaru said:
The Queen's job is hardly work. I'd do it if I earned as much as she did. But oh, no, I can't, because I don't have inbred genes.

Media, PR, spin. They're an elitist cabal of right wing scumfucks who steal our cash and look down on us as inferior beings. They embody the class divide of this country (the right wing belief that you can't get anywhere on merit, but only on who your parents are and how much money they have), and perpetuate the idea that rich people should be worshipped. They're neither charming, funny (in fact, I'd say Prince Philip is a racist piece of shit -- yet his bigoted views are qualified as him having a "glint in his eye") or very intelligent.

The reason people praise the royals is because the media forces them on us, and conveniently covers up much of the bad news about them. Once you can see through the media smoke screen, you can see them for what they are.

I disagree with almost everything you just wrote.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
StuBurns said:
So? People don't give a fuck about a walmart greeter, they care about the Royal Family. Isn't it up to the public? If no one cared, fine, but that's not the case. Berating them because they have a better life than some people is pretty sad. There are people at GSK who'll work two years and never work again a day in their lives, live like lords, never have to do any crowd waving. The Royal Family have good lives, but it's not as if they're top of the pile by any stretch.
STOP HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN HIM!!!

Omikaru

StuBurns said:
I disagree with almost everything you just wrote.
So you're happy to look over racism because Philip is a royal? That Prince Harry and William's A Levels are deserving of the kinds of educational opportunities they received before and after? Happy to accept that the Queen's idea of work is travelling all over the country, living in luxury all to open a church or a new community centre, or University or something?

You disagree that they embody an archaic class system which has been used to trample on poor people for generations? How? How can you disagree? It's fact. There is so much inequality in this country, and so much hatred for another elitist group (the bankers and the political class) yet all it takes is some favourable news coverage from vested interests, fawning PR-driven "reports", and the BBC to throw its impartiality out of the window, and all of a sudden we get to worship these rich people. It's absurd. Completely absurd. And sickening too. Watching the zombies cheer these scumbags on is what makes it worse, because you've all been brainwashed.

And the worst crime of all is that we don't even get to choose these people as our representative head of state. I don't necessarily mind the job they do (the pay is another matter), but let us pick them. If the Windsors want to be on the ballot, fine. And if they win, fine. But let's not pretend that what's going on right now is in any way acceptable.

elseanio

Not wanting to spark a massive debate, just looking for a simple answer (understand if there isn't one)

What would happen to the Crown Estate, should the Royal Family be overthrown, or whatever people want. Would it just become privately owned? Isn't it the Queens by her inheritance? The government takes over?

StuBurns

Banned
Omikaru said:
So you're happy to look over racism because Philip is a royal? That Prince Harry and William's A Levels are deserving of the kinds of educational opportunities they received before and after? Happy to accept that the Queen's idea of work is travelling all over the country, living in luxury all to open a church or a new community centre, or University or something?

You disagree that they embody an archaic class system which has been used to trample on poor people for generations? How? How can you disagree? It's fact. There is so much inequality in this country, and so much hatred for another elitist group (the bankers and the political class) yet all it takes is some favourable news coverage from vested interests, fawning PR-driven "reports", and the BBC to throw its impartiality out of the window, and all of a sudden we get to worship these rich people. It's absurd. Completely absurd. And sickening too. Watching the zombies cheer these scumbags on is what makes it worse, because you've all been brainwashed.

And the worst crime of all is that we don't even get to choose these people as our representative head of state. I don't necessarily mind the job they do (the pay is another matter), but let us pick them. If the Windsors want to be on the ballot, fine. And if they win, fine. But let's not pretend that what's going on right now is in any way acceptable.
The racist Pip was one of the things I did agree with. The rest less so, to none at all.

You are the one displaying hatred of another class, not them.

If you find it unacceptable, don't accept it, leave. If you consider finding something unacceptable to be bitching on GAF, then I find that pretty sad.

Some of the responses in this thread really are embarrassing. Honestly, even if the Queen generated £100 million in extra tourism, THAT STILL WOULDN'T MAKE IT OKAY TO HAVE A MONARCHY.

It's like saying "Slavery should be allowed because it increases the GDP of the nation by 10%". Fuck that shit. This is a matter of principle, out and out.

Omikaru said:

I never knew how poorly they did in the A-Levels;

Harry: In June 2003, he completed his education at Eton with two A-Levels, obtaining a B in art, and a D in geography

William: sat for the entrance exam to Eton College and was admitted. There he studied geography, biology and history of art at A-Level, obtaining an A in geography, a C in biology and a B in history of art

NekoFever

Omikaru said:
Which media do you follow? They're all over them when anything bad happens.

Ripclawe

Banned
Did I miss the moment when the royals began to rule the UK again? This whining that the Royals are so bad when they are basically a tourist attraction at this point is stupid.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Your Excellency said:
Some of the responses in this thread really are embarrassing. Honestly, even if the Queen generated £100 million in extra tourism, THAT STILL WOULDN'T MAKE IT OKAY TO HAVE A MONARCHY.

It's like saying "Slavery should be allowed because it increases the GDP of the nation by 10%". Fuck that shit. This is a matter of principle, out and out.
People have principles that differ from yours.

Shocking, I know.

Ripclawe said:
Did I miss the moment when the royals began to rule the UK again? This whining that the Royals are so bad when they are basically a tourist attraction at this point is stupid.
Didn't you see the news? Britain's a despotic, Absolute Monarchy straight outta the Dark Ages.

Ripclawe said:
violence-inherent.png

help-help-demotivational-poster-1236184524.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Omikaru said:
No I shouldn't. I have a right to try and change things within the country I was born in.
But it won't happen, sure you have a right to try, but unless you're an idiot, and I think you're not, you know that the monarchy are staying, so you should accept that fact, and either decide to live in this country, or vacate it to one with a political climate that is closer to your own beliefs.

I actually believe you know they're staying, and you don't have the conviction to leave on principle but throw around words like unacceptable as if you do.

Omikaru

StuBurns said:
But it won't happen, sure you have a right to try, but unless you're an idiot, and I think you're not, you know that the monarchy are staying, so you should accept that fact, and either decide to live in this country, or vacate it to one with a political climate that is closer to your own beliefs.

I actually believe you know they're staying, and you don't have the conviction to leave on principle but throw around words like unacceptable as if you do.
That's a fallacious argument at best. How do you know they're not going? I'm not saying they will go either, but with apathy towards them on the rise there's plenty of opportunities to educate people on the merits of having a republic. It's not written in stone that they're staying forever, because historic things happen all the time, and the mood of the public can quickly shift.

And to say that you don't believe I have the conviction to leave is assuming something about me you couldn't possibly know. How do you know that I plan to live in this country all my life? And even so, just because I find something unacceptable, doesn't mean I should leave.

- If I find food in a restaurant unacceptable, I won't leave. I'll demand my money back.
- If I find the actions of the local or national government unacceptable, I won't just leave. I'll do my best to get them out of office at the next election by voting, and perhaps campaigning for another party if I strongly believe in their goals.
- And if I find the monarch unacceptable, I won't just leave, I'll campaign to get rid of them. There's nothing stupid about it. It's called democracy.

By your logic, political parties should just not bother because they're not popular. And that people should continue to eat at a bad restaurant even though the food's bad because that's just the way it is. And that America shouldn't have rebelled against British rule, or that the French, the Irish, the Russians and many other countries shouldn't have overthrown their monarchy.

Now I don't like to fling personal insults around, so I shalln't, but I'm not the idiot here.

CHEEZMO™ said:
Why did he do this anyway?

They deployed out in Afghanistan or something?

He holds an honorary rank in the Irish guards, which also happens to be his highest military rank, hence why he wore that particular uniform.

StuBurns

Banned
Omikaru said:
- And if I find the monarch unacceptable, I won't just leave, I'll campaign to get rid of them. There's nothing stupid about it. It's called democracy.
I'm glad you bring that up. What are you doing exactly? Besides posting on GAF about it I mean.

jdforge

Banned
Safe Bet said:
i took it as a gesture of respect and friendship

could be wrong though..
Possibly but I think it was more a nod to the fact that while Southern Ireland is a free republic, (as free as you can be owing billions) there are still very strong ties to Great Britain.

Obviously Northen Ireland remains part of the UK so they definitely made concerted efforts to include as many artifacts or symbols to the commonwealth states and all sections of the UK.

It's makes you wonder if Ireland was still united and part of the UK like Wales and Scotland how different things may have been!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Maleficence said:
He holds an honorary rank in the Irish guards, which also happens to be his highest military rank, hence why he wore that particular uniform.
Ah, well I learnt something today.

I could understand if he just wore the uniform of one of the Guards regiments, just curious as to why it was the Irish.

Omikaru

StuBurns said:
I'm glad you bring that up. What are you doing exactly? Besides posting on GAF about it I mean.
I am actually a member of Republic, donate to their cause and if the need arose, I'd be on the streets pushing hard to get rid of the monarchy. As it stands, campaigning in such a way is a wasted effort right now, since support for a republic is only at about 15-25% of the country. However, the number is rising every year. Right now the movement is about arguing against the royal family, and promoting the positive aspects of a republic. It's not about going on the streets, knocking on doors and so on.

So okay, I've been a bit more negative than positive, but the sycophancy is sickening, so I felt I needed to be a bit barbed. All the same, I'm doing my bit. There's only so much one person can do.

StuBurns said:

Too right:

Many years ago Farouk, the last King of Egypt, predicted that most monarchies would disappear by the turn of the century: By then there will be only five kings left in the world, he said. The king of hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades — and the King of England.

Solo

As a Canadian who never saw life under British rule, I love dat monarchy. I love history, I love spectacle, so naturally I am intrigued by a monarchy which has lasted many centuries. Combine that with the fact that despite having no real authority anymore they can command the world's attention with a spectacle like the Royal Wedding was, and yeah, I'm a fan of the British monarchy.

Solo said:
As a Canadian who never saw life under British rule, I love dat monarchy. I love history, I love spectacle, so naturally I am intrigued by a monarchy which has lasted many centuries. Combine that with the fact that despite having no real authority anymore they can command the world's attention with a spectacle like the Royal Wedding was, and yeah, I'm a fan of the British monarchy.

HMQ is the head of state and Queen of Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Her representative opens the Parliamentary session after each election I think...

Solo

zomgbbqftw said:
HMQ is the head of state and Queen of Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Her representative opens the Parliamentary session after each election I think...

You know what I meant.

Safe Bet

Banned
needlejuice said:
Possibly but I think it was more a nod to the fact that while Southern Ireland is a free republic, (as free as you can be owing billions) there are still very strong ties to Great Britain.

Obviously Northen Ireland remains part of the UK so they definitely made concerted efforts to include as many artifacts or symbols to the commonwealth states and all sections of the UK.
You said it better than I.

It may have simply protocol to wear his highest ranking uniform but I took it as a thoughtful gesture.

StuBurns

Banned
Superimposer said:
Guys Pippa looked great yesterday but Kate is still 10x better, Pippa generally looks pretty bad

http://i.imgur.com/kVGRp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
You can find an unflattering photo of anyone...

[IMG]http://www.sawf.org/Newsphotos/Hollywood/KateMiddletonPrinceWilliam21Aug2007.jpg

Pippa is better looking, fo sho.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Superimposer said:
Guys Pippa looked great yesterday but Kate is still 10x better, Pippa generally looks pretty bad

http://i.imgur.com/kVGRp.jpg

i can't say i've been privy to enough material to argue, but do you mean generally, or just in that one picture? because that's always posted when people say she doesn't look good. maybe it's just a bad picture?

luoapp

StuBurns said:
You can find an unflattering photo of anyone...

[/IMG]http://www.sawf.org/Newsphotos/Hollywood/KateMiddletonPrinceWilliam21Aug2007.jpg[/IMG]

Pippa is better looking, fo sho.

well, if that's the most unflattering picture you can find, I will say Kate is damn hot.

Koodo

Banned
Your Excellency said:

Horrible analogy. Principle about what? Since the royal family are nothing more than glorified socialites, their existence appears to have little or no impact on your life (slavery would obviously have an impact on the slaves, so there, your analogy was thrown out).

"But I'm unemployed and these people are born into luxury!" Again, would their continued existence or abolishment change anyone's circumstances? No, you'd still be unemployed. The existence of the monarchy (British one, at least) isn't a social repression nor would their abolishment be a social movement of any kind.

Given that the royal family represents tradition in the most superficial way, given that they unmistakably pull in hoards of tourism revenue (the wedding's popularity was due to them, not some decrepit building), and given that they provide me passing entertainment while at the check out counter in the supermarket, I am not convinced that (a) their existence is wrong out of principle, and (b) their abolishment would be justified by any improvement in anything.

StuBurns

Banned
luoapp said:
well, if that's the most unflattering picture you can find, I will say Kate is damn hot.
I didn't go out oh my way to find a bad picture, just first page of google images, and most the previews were too small to see her face well enough to see.

And she is damn hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom