• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Don't buy a PlayStation — Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead

reinking

Gold Member
...until these superior versions of the games are at a price point I feel they are worth
I am waiting for some games. Others I buy day one. Some I even preorder. I base this all on how much I feel they are worth. Your assumption that buying a day one release is based on being weak willed or FOMO is silly. We all have our own value threshold and budget for entertainment. It is okay that they are different.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
your assumption that buying a day one release is based on being weak willed or FOMO is silly.
Sure, but that's also not what I said.
I was referring to being incapable of waiting for a better version that you know will come, not just simply the act of buying games day one.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Wait for the PS6 remaster!!!
Mind Blown GIF

Zathalus

🤣 Then where are those Rift Apart PC sales? Or Returnal, for that matter? Even TLOU Remake underperformed on PC. And a lot of Microsoft's games aren't doing so hot on PC right now, such as Starfield and RedFall, or Forza Motorsport. Even releases like HiFi Rush, Pentiment, etc. didn't really light the charts up. Sea of Thieves does decently, but that's kind of it.

So yeah uh, very big money for Sony to chase there copying that I guess 😂
Neither Returnal nor Ratchet made massive sales on PS5 either. I doubt Returnal even cracked a million. The Last of Us Part 1 was a utter disaster of a launch on PC so no wonder it sold terribly. The mainline AAA games like Horizon or God of War have sold like 3-4million copies on Steam alone, which is not bad for several years old port jobs. Porting a game that didn't exactly set sales charts on fire to PC is not going to make it sell better compared to console.

Starfield is doing just fine on PC as well, estimates put it at around 3 million on Steam alone, so considering it is on Gamepass that is fine (although it pales in comparison to Elden Ring, Hogwarts, or BG3). Redfall is dogshit so no surprise there, and Pentiment and Hifi Rush are AA games that are available on Gamepass. Odd you didn't mention Forza Horizon 5 which is somewhere around 5-6 million copies sold on Steam.

So a port of an AAA several years old game for Sony can potentially make them around $120 million per release for what is basically peanuts to port it. That basically is enough to fund a whole other game that can be released on PS5 first. Obviously the calculation changes if this PC strategy impacts console revenue and sales, but it has been 3 years and the demand for PS5, PS5 exclusives has never been higher. Sony is currently also seeing record revenue. Sony has furthermore made zero promises to anyone so if the strategy starts to not work out for them they will just stop.

DrFigs

Neither Returnal nor Ratchet made massive sales on PS5 either. I doubt Returnal even cracked a million. The Last of Us Part 1 was a utter disaster of a launch on PC so no wonder it sold terribly. The mainline AAA games like Horizon or God of War have sold like 3-4million copies on Steam alone, which is not bad for several years old port jobs. Porting a game that didn't exactly set sales charts on fire to PC is not going to make it sell better compared to console.

Starfield is doing just fine on PC as well, estimates put it at around 3 million on Steam alone, so considering it is on Gamepass that is fine (although it pales in comparison to Elden Ring, Hogwarts, or BG3). Redfall is dogshit so no surprise there, and Pentiment and Hifi Rush are AA games that are available on Gamepass. Odd you didn't mention Forza Horizon 5 which is somewhere around 5-6 million copies sold on Steam.

So a port of an AAA several years old game for Sony can potentially make them around $120 million per release for what is basically peanuts to port it. That basically is enough to fund a whole other game that can be released on PS5 first. Obviously the calculation changes if this PC strategy impacts console revenue and sales, but it has been 3 years and the demand for PS5, PS5 exclusives has never been higher. Sony is currently also seeing record revenue. Sony has furthermore made zero promises to anyone so if the strategy starts to not work out for them they will just stop.
I'm hopeful that playstation is keeping a close eye out for how pc releases impact console sales. Them not releasing God of War Ragnarok on pc 1 year after launch is promising.

Wrt games like last of us and uncharted which sold well on console but not pc, i think the biggest reasons they fail is that most everyone already played it on ps4. These games sold 20+ million each and have been free to play on ps plus in the past. It's the same reason I think bloodborne would probably not do that well on pc either - it's been free on ps plus/ps now for years(?); i'm pretty sure anyone who's wanted to play it would have done it by now.

Last edited:
This is just bizarre to me. I'm thinking Sony is porting games like Uncharted, Sackboy, or Returnal to gauge interest and now that they failed hardcore, they know not to port them in the future. Games like GOT, Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are slam dunks but Sony is being coy with them. Very strange.

I don't get it honestly.

I gave up on there ever being a PC version of Ghost of Tsushima and picked the PS5 version up for $30 this BF

Same. I signed up for PS+ and it was the first game I played and I felt like I stole from Sony it was so good and I only paid like $50 for PS+. Add in all the other games I tried and or beat and it's been a great deal.

But is he totally wrong? If you have a powerful PC and you can wait 1 or 2 years I'd say it's a sound advice.

The fact Sony has yet to release Horizon Forbidden West on PC or announce Gran Turismo 7 means they will keep up with their 2 year gap for PC releases.

Yes...all you got to do is wait 2 years (i don't see where you found that 1 year waiting since it never happened) and then the game is finally released with god knows how many bugs. Then all you do is wait 6 extra months for it to be playable.

Seriously though, most people that play videogames on consoles don't care for PC gaming and do it because these games are thoughtout for these pieces of hardware specifically. Even when you buy day one releases on console you never have unplayable experiences or game breaking problems like PC gamers do. As long as console gaming does that for me i will never move out of Sony's ecosystem. I'm talking about Sony first party games but it also works for 3rd party games. If a 3rd party game is barely playable on Playstation then it's an even bigger mess on PC...and that's never changing because...get read for this...making a current game for a single piece of hardware will always be easier to optimize than a game that has to run in god knows how many graphic cards, CPUs, etc...

tmlDan

They're right, you should buy 4 gaming PC's for over 8 grand (incl. monitors, keyboards, mice, speakers and still being modest) for your family instead of 4 PS5's for 2 grand.

Its quick and basic maths

Elysium44

Banned
The fact Sony has yet to release Horizon Forbidden West on PC or announce Gran Turismo 7 means they will keep up with their 2 year gap for PC releases.

Yes...all you got to do is wait 2 years (i don't see where you found that 1 year waiting since it never happened) and then the game is finally released with god knows how many bugs. Then all you do is wait 6 extra months for it to be playable.

Seriously though, most people that play videogames on consoles don't care for PC gaming and do it because these games are thoughtout for these pieces of hardware specifically. Even when you buy day one releases on console you never have unplayable experiences or game breaking problems like PC gamers do. As long as console gaming does that for me i will never move out of Sony's ecosystem. I'm talking about Sony first party games but it also works for 3rd party games. If a 3rd party game is barely playable on Playstation then it's an even bigger mess on PC...and that's never changing because...get read for this...making a current game for a single piece of hardware will always be easier to optimize than a game that has to run in god knows how many graphic cards, CPUs, etc...

Lot of generalisations there, you are probably mostly right but there's a lot of exceptions. Cyberpunk ran so badly on PS4 it was removed from PSN for a while, remember? And the PC version was much better.

Days Gone wasn't great on release, was fixed a lot but still ran sub 30fps on PS4 at times and had huge loading times even on SSD. The PC port came a lot later but you got rapid loading and 60fps. Some games run better on PC, others on console. It doesn't have to be one way or the other, it's down to the developers.

PC games don't have to be written for each individual piece of hardware, we're not in the days of DOS any more.

Last edited:

MikeM

Lot of generalisations there, you are probably mostly right but there's a lot of exceptions. Cyberpunk ran so badly on PS4 it was removed from PSN for a while, remember? And the PC version was much better.

Days Gone wasn't great on release, was fixed a lot but still ran sub 30fps on PS4 at times and had huge loading times even on SSD. The PC port came a lot later but you got rapid loading and 60fps. Some games run better on PC, others on console. It doesn't have to be one way or the other, it's down to the developers.

PC games don't have to be written for each individual piece of hardware, we're not in the days of DOS any more.
Days Gone is 60fps on PS5 FYI

cireza

We've got "Xbox has no exclusive", "play the games on PC instead" for like 10 or 15 years now.

But suddenly, when its becomes true for PS as well, this argument becomes ridiculous or pathetic ? I don't see any difference, same situation.

Last edited:

Both of those games are probably the 2 exceptions you could find. Sony has NEVER removed a huge AAA title from their PS store since they got one and that was an exception. The only reason why Cyberpunk didn't run on PS4 was because it was never a last-gen title to begin with.

Days Gone was at 60fps since day one on PS5 as well. The PC version was released later.

Elysium44

Banned
Days Gone is 60fps on PS5 FYI

Yes, I know several PS4 games run better on PS5, Ace Combat 7 is another one which springs to mind, that I have on PS4 and doesn't have a very good framerate but runs flawlessly on PC.

And on the other hand, there are a lot of lazy PC ports, especially Japanese games I can think of where they don't even give you graphics options like vsync, so you have to force it in the driver, and games where the mouse pointer stays on screen all the time. Each game has to be judged on a case by case basis.

Resident Evil 5 is another one which springs to mind, the PS4 version can't maintain 60fps. (I already had this on PC from years back but I double dipped on PS4 as it has a better FOV, something the PC version never got patched in thanks to Capcom's laziness.)

Speaking of Resident Evil, I got Village on PC because it allows you to use a mod to change the FOV which is way too low on console, so there's another game which is better on PC even than it is on PS5, if FOV matters to you.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well that's great because the article is about the games actually available.
I get that, but you tried to paint a 1:1 picture and that's clearly not the case. It would make more sense for them to say "why buy an Xbox at all? Get the games day/date on PC and skip the middle man". Why is their first conclusion to thwart PlayStation sales? Because they clearly aren't the same situation. The exclusive is key on PS5.

Last edited:

Senua

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

cireza

I get that, but you tried to paint a 1:1 picture and that's clearly not the case. It would make more sense for them to say "why buy an Xbox at all? Get the games day/date on PC and skip the middle man". Why is their first conclusion to thwart PlayStation sales? Because they clearly aren't the same situation. The exclusive is key on PS5.
I am not painting anything. If you are interested in these games and already have a PC, buying the game alone will be less expensive than buying a PS5.

I understand that you do not like this, however you should brace yourself for more PC ports from Sony in the future.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I am not painting anything. If you are interested in these games and already have a PC, buying the game alone will be less expensive than buying a PS5.

I understand that you do not like this, however you should brace yourself for more PC ports from Sony in the future.
Don't like what? Having access to more games on my main platform? Some of y'all crack me up with this wArRiOr nonsense. Not everybody takes it that serious. I'm just saying your 1:1 call was off.

Last edited:

cireza

I'm just saying your 1:1 call was off.
Are you aware that not every Xbox exclusive is on PC ? Should we start counting ? Tendency is the big Sony exclusives are coming to PC now. They release only a handful every year, everything else is third party anyway and most of it is on PC.

Stop interpreting stuff maybe ? And enjoy having more games on your main platform.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Are you aware that not every Xbox exclusive is on PC ? Stop interpreting stuff maybe ? And enjoy having more games on your main platform.
I mean, it's a stretch. Any important games that launch on Xbox usually launch on PC day and date. A few stragglers maybe, but it doesn't go much beyond that. If I want to play most of XBGS' games, I don't need the console. If I want to play Spider-Man 2, or Ragnarök, or GT7, for example, I still need a PlayStation.

Last edited:
Not that I was going to get these games in particular anyway but I'm still stuck on a 2080. And with how expensive pc hardware is these days it's become cost prohibitive for me to upgrade and I don't see that changing any time soon.

graywolf323

Are you aware that not every Xbox exclusive is on PC ? Should we start counting ? Tendency is the big Sony exclusives are coming to PC now. They release only a handful every year, everything else is third party anyway and most of it is on PC.

Stop interpreting stuff maybe ? And enjoy having more games on your main platform.
what Xbox studios game is exclusive to Xbox this gen? 🤔

heck we can expand it even, what game period is exclusive to Xbox this gen? as in not released on PC/PS5/Switch

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

what Xbox studios game is exclusive to Xbox this gen? 🤔

heck we can expand it even, what game period is exclusive to Xbox this gen? as in not released on PC/PS5/Switch
Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN

cireza

You can narrow things to your advantage if you want.

What PS game will be exclusive next gen ? Before all Xbox games were PC games, it started with only a few ones, released at later dates etc... See a pattern here ?

Last edited:

graywolf323

You can narrow things to your advantage if you want.

What PS game will be exclusive next gen ? Before all Xbox games were PC games, it started with only a few ones, released at later dates etc... See a pattern here ?
you made a claim that not all Xbox games are on PC & even offered to start counting but when asked to do exactly that you move the goal posts

meanwhile there’s plenty of PlayStation games from Sony even from the past ~5 years that are still exclusive & haven‘t been ported to PC, so you’ve made it clear that you’re just here to deflect on behalf of Xbox & not have a serious discussion

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

So you want me to spend 4x as much on a PC that can handle these games the same way PS5 does? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

cireza

you made a claim that not all Xbox games are on PC & even offered to start counting but when asked to do exactly that you move the goal posts

meanwhile there’s plenty of PlayStation games from Sony even from the past ~5 years that are still exclusive & haven‘t been ported to PC, so you’ve made it clear that you’re just here to deflect on behalf of Xbox & not have a serious discussion
From the past 5 years sure, but I think you understood when I said "next gen". You know it will change.

Anyway I came in this thread because people were being outraged at what was said in the article OP, while this is a simple, factual truth. Don't need a PS5 to buy these games. Yet people find this pathetic ? Then the truth is pathetic, great, still that's the situation right now.

Last edited:
From the past 5 years sure, but I think you understood when I said "next gen". You know it will change.

Anyway I came in this thread because people were being outraged at what was said in the article OP, while this is a simple, factual truth. Don't need a PS5 to buy these games. Yet people find this pathetic ? Then the truth is pathetic, great, still that's the situation right now.

It's not simple factual truth though that's the problem. There are plenty of Sony exclusives that haven't released on PC and might never release. That's really my main issue with the article is it's misleading. At least mention that there are still big exclusives that haven't released and might never release on PC because Playstation have been very vague about their strategy.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The average PC can’t get anywhere near that either
The average PC isn't 4x the price of the PS5, that's a high-end PC that's obviously far more powerful which is what the post you quoted alluded to.

Top Bottom