• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Metal Gear is getting a Classic Collection that comprises MGS1, 2, and 3.

Draugoth

Gold Member
As an update to this (Remake), I've heard that in addition to Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake, there will also be a new Classic Collection that comprises MGS1, 2, and 3. It's likely being announced in June.

Update 2: Since a few people were asking me, I've heard that Metal Gear Solid 4 won't be included in any prospective Classic Collection re-releases. I don't know the exact reason, but I presume this is at least in part due to the game's unique structure as a native PS3 game. The Classic Collection may also come in volumes, based on what I've heard, with Metal Gear Rising, PeaceWalker, and other spin-offs like Portable Ops hitting as part of a "Vol. 2" Classic Collection. Some of the details on the Classic Collection are a bit murky, so take it with a grain of salt. MGS1-3 re-releases are almost certainly in, though.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Sister Act Reaction GIF

Pelao

The 4chan "leak" from last week also mentioned MGS4. A shame if that isn't the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dis

saintjules

that is kinda weird as mgs3 remake is around, seems like they may cannibalize each other?

I guess if there was a remake to the solid series, you'd start with 3 because of the timeline. I remember the initial solid 1 remake rumors. Was hoping for that as I wasn't a fan of 3 that much.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's almost like games take years to develop before getting announced or something...

At this point it's more about "when" it's announced and not "if"
It's so corny that they try and take credit for shit that has been rumored/leaked and talked about long before mUh tWeEt.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
4 must be in some sort of licensing hell
I believe the issue with 4 is that it was originally built for the PS3 - and it took full advantage of its custom architecture. Because of how different the PS3 is from, say, the PS4 and Xbone, that makes porting MGS4 a pretty sizeable endeavour. Because it hasn't been done before (no Xbox 360 version to base off of) and how old the PS3 is, I'd wager we're more likely to see it officailly emulated on some future generation of PlayStation before we see a full port to another platform.

This seems a bit of a stretch. Which version of MGS1 will they use? PSX or GC? If they use the GC, the purists will lose their shit.
I'm still playing the OG on my PS Vita for this very reason.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I think I have the MGS collection on PS3. I don't know what entries it consists of though. Or if I even have it. Maybe I dreamt that?

Why? Didn't Kojima do the cinematics?
No, they were directed by Ryuhei Kitamura. Kojima did give full blessing and said he liked them, but I'm fairly certain that is just because Kitamira is an established director and Kojima was being his normal hyper-positive self when it comes to anything movies. Also, you don't hire Kitamira in the first place unless you are expecting Matrix looking cutscenes.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I’m assuming this collection (unlike the MGS3 remake) will be just ports, possibly upscaled resolution if we’re lucky. Which is fine but doesn’t this take some of the shine away from the MGS3 remake? Just sounds illogical to release two versions of MGS3, unless the collection includes the remake and lower-effort ports of the first two games

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm curious how this is all going to be communicated if they have two versions of MGS3 coming out.

VinnyMac

Praise The Lord Applause GIF

Creators ruin their original works all the time. See George Lucas, Ridley Scott, and Francis Ford Coppola. The original always was, and always will be, better.
Kojima overlooked thee project and obviously approved the changes but he himself did not direct the trash that is the GameCube version

I think I have the MGS collection on PS3. I don't know what entries it consists of though. Or if I even have it. Maybe I dreamt that?
I dont get the hype for the collection. Is this not available on PS thru BC? I have MGS 1-3, Revengance and Peace Walker on Xbox. If not fully remade this collection will mirror what we already have thru BC. So again why the hype?

VulcanRaven

I just hope they haven't ruined the graphics somehow. MGS2 and 3 look great as they are. I'm worried they have done something to them to justify another collection.

Bry0

I dont get the hype for the collection. Is this not available on PS thru BC? I have MGS 1-3, Revengance and Peace Walker on Xbox. If not fully remade this collection will mirror what we already have thru BC. So again why the hype?
Because that collection is 720p and has been delisted for years and physical copies are like 40 bucks minimum

If we get a PS1 and PS2 collection of MGS 1-3 then idgaf about the MGS3 remake.

Though it begs the question, why? Or why not start the remakes with the original?

Mr Hyde

I don't hype for it. I've already played these games and MGS is not even my cup of tea. I just said I have the collection on PS3. Also, why are you assuming everyone owns the games and can play them through BC? Maybe there is a whole new generation of gamers who's never been able to play these games because they don't have an old PS3 or Xbox. Maybe think outside your narrow perspective?

All I really want is to play MGS 1-4 on my PS5.

Honestly I don't really care about a MGS3 remake because it isn't really MGS to me without Kojima or Hayter.

Reactions: Dis

Wooxsvan

iv gone back to these games and they control/play horribly by todays standards. hope those systems get revamped or i sleep.

The Stig

This seems a bit of a stretch. Which version of MGS1 will they use? PSX or GC? If they use the GC, the purists will lose their shit.
why not both?

also, despite having the HD collection on PS3 im really glad this is coming to PC (hopefully)

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Top Bottom