• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Metal Gear is getting a Classic Collection that comprises MGS1, 2, and 3.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You’re entitled to like what you like. I hate that version because tonally it turns a serious story with ridiculous elements into a comical story with even more ridiculous elements. To say nothing of the gameplay imbalances, the music changes, the voice acting quality, and the fact that you had to use a Gamecube controller.

GameCube_controller.png

I mean what the fuck even is that
A great controller is what it is.

Killer8

no, it simply has a lot of PS3 based jokes in it and is designed for the system, while also being a pretty big title.

so porting wouldn't be easy, and they would not only need to port, but also remove or replace a lot of jokes and easterggs.

like you can change the controller port during the Mantis fight, and if you do that there's a whole codec call where they tell you that this isn't MGS1, and that this doesn't work here.

or as you go down the stairs in Shadow Moses, where on PS1 there was a disc change, Otacon will call you and tell you to switch discs, until he remembers that you're playing on a PS3 which uses Blu-ray technology 🤣

there are other smaller and bigger things with PlayStation eastereggs and PS3 specific jokes and homages.

the controls would also need slight adjustments, like shaking the Dualshock 3 would change your camo quickly.

then the dialog would need to be rerecorded for button promts, because characters will literally tell you to press certain Dualshock 3 buttons if I remember correctly.

so in short, the issue with MGS4 is 1: it's a game designed for the exotic CPU of the PS3 and 2: it is full of PS3 system specific jokes, eastereggs and spoken dialog

I think a lot of this could be solved just by putting a screen at the start of the game saying that any references to other systems were how the game was originally designed. Similarly to how Disney have a warning at the start of some films saying they were a product of the time.

The controls could probably be reworked relatively easily. For example MGS2 and 3 relied heavily on pressure sensitive buttons, yet the HD Collection for X360 is still more than playable thanks to clever control changes. You basically had a d-pad button dedicated to lowering the gun, which in some ways almost worked out better because you made less accidental shots.

Thabass

Ah, so they are just being lazy then
Ehh, no, it would be an actual challenge to port that over to modern hardware. That's why it hasn't been at all and why it's only been on cloud streaming services if you could play it at all.

Why all the hate for the GC MGS1? It was like super good! I played it on PS and GC but man i liked the later way better.
It made MGS1 way too easy (see: The Ocelot fight in first person) and then there were the ridiculous over the top cutscenes (even more over the top than usual).

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Ehh, no, it would be an actual challenge to port that over to modern hardware. That's why it hasn't been at all and why it's only been on cloud streaming services if you could play it at all.
Great, so they should put money and resources into solving that challenge

Neon Xenon

Given that multiple volumes of this Metal Gear Classic Collection are being considered, I also want to see Metal Gear Ac!d 1 & 2 get some love and be included.

RAIDEN1

I hope to god that MGS 4 is one of the games you can get if Sony’s rumored Ps3 emulator for PS5 is real
Don't hold your breath, we all know how half-arsed Sony are when it comes to their B.C titles, there are a TON of them from the PS-1 and 2 days that could be ported over to the PS5 with a fresh lick of paint but no.....that's why I am more appreciative of the efforts Microsoft did in bringing the likes of Burnout Revenge and Panzer Dragoon Orta to today's systems...(classic saying they don't make em like they used to and those 2 titles you can't find equivalent of today)

FingerBang

Fucking hell. Can't believe it's 2023, and MGS4 can only be played on PS3.

Seriously, why hasn't that game been remastered when everything else has been rereleased 12 times already.

Top Bottom