• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Microsoft exploring bringing back catalog to Nintendo and PlayStation

Astray

Hifi Rush rated in Australia for PS4, Switch and Xbox One. Also some other Zenimax Media title got rated for PS4/5 Switch and XB1.

They always instilled a xbox is here to stay, we will throw money at this and stay the course attitude, that has started to erode a bit the last few months or so.
They play the long game. What they see is a post console future at some point. I think everyone does. What their strategy is, is how do we grow or maintain until we get there. I dont think they are looking for an out. They are looking for a bridge to connect to their future they are positioning for. Even if that takes 15 years. But who knows.

SonGoku

I think some poeple need to accept that we have maybe 2 more hardware generations after this one, and thats talking like 20 years into the future. I'll be very surprised if one, or both, Xbox and Playstation are not streaming only by then.
Nintendo live in their own dream world so who knows what they will do.

You just have to remember how bad internet was 20 years ago to how it is today, then think what the internet will be like in 20 years from now.

Imo both Xbox and Playstation will be streaming subsciption services that you play on pretty much any of your devices. So slowly bring exclusive games to new players over the coming years, well that could certainly give you a head start when everything goes streaming only.

Just my personnal take of course. Its part of the reson why i'm PC only as no one owns PC and PC gamers simply wont accept a streaming only future when hardware is such an important part of gaming to them. And obviosly the gpu and cpu makers wont be pushing for a streaming only future on PC when hardware is their main business.
How will 20 years fix cloud streaming limitations beyond internet speed? There are other factors at play beyond just more accesible good internet, to name a couple:

1. Game servers need to be located close to get good response times, even just focusing on the US/EU and ignoring all other markets, is this really feasible, to have enough server farms in every location to guarantee every user would get a good experience?
2. How will servers cope with 50+ million people gaming simultaneously? How will they cope with big game launches? They will either seriously degrade the quality/settings below console experience or add unbearable waiting times, not only the burden on bandwidth but on system resources will be massive.

I know the counter argument for this is technology will advance and servers will get stronger, but so will local hardware a console 20 years from now will get proportionally stronger, so whats changed from today? we are back to the same situation and besides the selling point of Cloud Gaming should be focused on offering better than console experience (settings, resolution and fps) if it wants to replace console so the burden on the servers would be even higher if they start targeting better than consoles settings.

If Cloud gaming will complement consoles/pc its entirely different to target that blue ocean audience that doesn't have consoles and just games from the browsers, phone. So the two can coexist

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The narrative shifts across the internet...

Go Dark Helmet GIF

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Fact that's not what you said, like I said.

Friends Moving GIF

Your words, and I paraphrase as cannot be bothered to find the page it was on is gamepass was the first subscription service.

When proven wrong, shock horror, goal posts got moved.

This thread was not about who was the first sub service. (also Sony wasn't the first sub service either) Nothing was moved at all, the whole point of the discussion I was having was about Microsofts effect on competition if they leave the console hardware space, to jump out and say "PS NOW was the first subscription service" even though it was streaming only and it was crap, doesn't affect this argument at all. You can live in denial I guess if you want. The fact is that MS pushed Sony over the past 15-20 years to change it's entire business plan. Wether it be PS+, streaming services, PSNOW, it's hardware, it's pricing, it's budgets, everything. You take MS away and it would be all different. It's really not rocket science, you and Ass Can don't need to be all sony fanboy defensive about it. Doesn't change that Sony made great choices to compete and has great games.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Starfield overall profitability must be in the bottom of the gutter (dozen of $millions of loss most probably as I doubt it drove any increase at all in gamepass subscriptions and Steam sales sure can not carry alone the budget of game) so I am not surprised, the other solution for MS would be to straigt up downsize Bethesda.

At one point you just cannot escape market reality. Xbox as a hardware seller had a good run I guess (but not really)

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Hifi Rush rated in Australia for PS4, Switch and Xbox One. Also some other Zenimax Media title got rated for PS4/5 Switch and XB1.

The other game is Doom.

I wonder if they're doing a Doom / Eternal double pack? Would that need a separate rating?

3liteDragon

You’re the one saying day one PC kills consoles.

Now you want to pretend that’s not what you’re saying?
Why the flying fuck would I need an Xbox console if their games are playable day one on PC? If PS does the exact same thing with their single-player games, I'll build myself a nice rig to play all of them in the best way possible. There's a reason why Sony's still doing 2-year ports for their SP games, they're not stupid.

Gamerguy84

Had Quest 2 on a little while ago and ran into an offer to try xbox gamepass via cloud of course. They are like a High school boy trying to get some and will put it anywhere.

It's flat screen and didn't try it but was surprised to see it there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Some in this thread have been suggesting it won't matter since everyone will just buy PC. But this is flawed, PC will never replace console.
There is a huge section of the market that has neither the time, patience, or know how to operate a PC for gaming. This gen for PS5/Series is going to see well over 100 million units sold, and Nintendo is likely to sell another 100 million of switch 2.
It's not going anywhere. So while it may be some people's preference to go PC, the mass casual gaming market doesn't care.

MAX PAYMENT

The point of producing them is brand perception and Game Pass subscriptions. With their own hardware, they don't have to worry about giving competing platform holders that huge 30% cut.

And also their repeated mantra of "Play Anywhere". They want the hurdle to subscribing to Game Pass or buying their games eliminated, which is why they're on PC, cloud/mobile, and Xbox hardware already. Microsoft abandoning Xbox as a platform would be a dire blow to their brand.

I will say though that I do see Microsoft de-prioritizing their hardware investment and no longer trying to compete in the cutting edge, "fastest console in the world" space. I think Xbox will become just another option rather than THE primary option to access Game Pass/Xbox Games Studios games.
This seems most accurate, to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why the flying fuck would I need an Xbox console if their games are playable day one on PC? If PS does the exact same thing with their single-player games, I'll build myself a nice rig to play all of them in the best way possible. There's a reason why Sony's still doing 2-year ports for their SP games, they're not stupid.

I would assume it’s because they’re a lot less money, and according to console players - plug and play?

Apparently not.

Last edited:
Some in this thread have been suggesting it won't matter since everyone will just buy PC. But this is flawed, PC will never replace console.
There is a huge section of the market that has neither the time, patience, or know how to operate a PC for gaming. This gen for PS5/Series is going to see well over 100 million units sold, and Nintendo is likely to sell another 100 million of switch 2.
It's not going anywhere. So while it may be some people's preference to go PC, the mass casual gaming market doesn't care.

100%. I have a gaming PC and I don't use it. Gaming on a PC is not that same. I gave up after having Xbox controller disconnects. Bought a new controller and adapter and it worked great for a month and then happened again. Took 25 mins to fix. Happened about a month later. Shutdown my PC and haven't been back.

I work in IT and do TSing all the time. Not trying to spend my time at home doing it as well just to play games.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Indeed.

Apple is coming for them and there is nothing they can do really other than... well, I guess buying publishers and hoping for the best lol

I think that Apple is capable of rolling the whole industry if they really wanted to, I'm just not sure what their "gaming" strategy is long term.
Their strategy is a slow burn. Capture people from Windows who while they want a Mac, they stay on Windows because of video games. One less barrier to entry to MACOSX and iPadOS.

I’m not being edgy. I’m just surprised that PC is so powerful that day and date ports render consoles pointless.

Apparently that’s why Xbox failed. I see it pretty often around here.

I think it's combination of that and just losing faith in the brand. MS hasn't been delivering for a long time now. It was only a matter of time until they felt the backlash from that.

I'm not quite sure what to make of all this, really.

I still don't expect Halo or anything(at this point) but I'm beginning to seriously wonder if Starfield will show up.

Fox Mulder

I still don't expect Halo or anything(at this point) but I'm beginning to seriously wonder if Starfield will show up.

Something old like the Master Chief Collection would sell well on the PlayStation and is just Gamepass catalog at this point.

I like the Xbox and have Gamepass, but they already put games on PC day one. Putting big franchises on the PlayStation isn’t that different and would add more people to play with and make money. Putting Forza Horizon on PlayStation would nuke stuff like NFS and The Crew.

Last edited:
Indeed.

Apple is coming for them and there is nothing they can do really other than... well, I guess buying publishers and hoping for the best lol

I think that Apple is capable of rolling the whole industry if they really wanted to, I'm just not sure what their "gaming" strategy is long term.

I heard something similar about Stadia. How did that turn out?

Mega corporations with zero gaming pedigree have no business in the gaming industry. That's reality. Microsoft has been around for 3 generations, they have more money than God and are still struggling. You need to produce great games and that takes time (plenty) and talent (even more). Throwing money left and right doesn't cut it.

The likes of Amazon, Netflix or Apple are no competition for Sony or Nintendo.

It keeps getting stated that sales of the hardware are weak. Ok. If that’s accurate then who is responsible for it failing behind the other consoles and to be in the position?

No fellow Xbox guys seem to be getting to the route of this.

The same people have failed so they go this route or something like that and the narrative is that Xbox as a console simply can’t compete and that’s that. But why?

Surely that should bring into question could a different leadership team and product management do a better job?

Flabagast

Could be witnessing a brand collapse in terms of the console side of things.

I have to say I have also seen Series S consoles for £100 for over a year now.

This is pretty ludicrous, £65. That’s less than a game.

Yeah the vanishing of Xbox hardware presence is now accelerating.

By EoY it will be in absolute shambles, nothing can stop it now.

Both All exclusives on PC day one as well as gamepass will be remembered as two of the most massive strategic failures of the tech industry in the years to come, and will be teached in business schools all over the world in lessons labelled akin to "How to devaluate your brand faster than light"

Last edited:
Top Bottom