• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

God dammit this event sounds pretty cool. Of course, it's not exactly the kind of thing I could go to.

My local Japanese Centre is screening movies again, but this time it's just Naruto stuff. I can't really say that I'm excited for that.

cajunator

Banned
I need to watch more of berserk to find out what the fuck that egg thing is.
It creeps me out.
Or I could just watch it on wikipedia.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Berserk even had a cute pointless mascot character.

Jex

There was enough subtext as it was!

The 'subtext' became 'text' from the moment Guts took Griffith's sword into his mouth in episode 3. I hope I don't need to paint anyone a picture regarding what that might symbolize.
His sword is his hammer, if you know what I mean.

cajunator

Banned
that even Jex posted looks pretty interesting. A lot of older shows deserve more recognition.
Especially stuffl ike Memories. Yes even the last episode.
Also, I REALLY need to pick up tokyo godfathers one of these days before its impossible to get.

-Minsc-

mushishi.jpg

Look at them popped collars! Man, Umakoshi really loves that shit.

I approve of that image.

That they are.
BhqWC.jpg

Oh man, you just made my day. It's not normal I literally laugh out loud when I'm alone, even when I find something funny. That picture completely caught me off guard and I proceeded to laugh. I thank you.

Jex

that even Jex posted looks pretty interesting. A lot of older shows deserve more recognition.
Especially stuffl ike Memories. Yes even the last episode.
Also, I REALLY need to pick up tokyo godfathers one of these days before its impossible to get.

It's pretty hard not to admire an event that plan's to show these works:
- Classics like Akira, Roujin Z, Memories, Cowboy Bebop (the movie), Ghost in the Shell ...

- Some oldies like Toward the Terra, Cobra (film), Gen of Hiroshima, Horus Prince of the Sun ...

- Of more recent films like Tekkon Kinkreet, Mai Mai Miracle, Sword of the Stranger, Redline, Evangelion You Are (Not) Alone ...

- Films of great directors like Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika), Mamoru Hosoda (The Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars and even the sixth movie of One Piece), Keiichi Hara (Summer with Coo, Colorful) Makoto Shinkai (5cm Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Tower beyond the clouds), and of course Studio Ghibli (with a beautiful left hand to Takahata): Only Yesterday, Grave of the Fireflies, Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbors the Yamadas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come now, we all know the ambition that lurks behind that steely exterior!

Not at all, Mad Pierrot. I just don't see such activity as necessarily beneficial for the thread as a whole.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Episode 04

I've been falling behind! Curse you, ME3!

Wow, this show kind of keeps getting darker and darker. Normally, I wouldn't like episodes like this, but it felt like it was handled pretty well.

Sayaka's love interest has lost hope? UH OH, I WONDER WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT!

I was pretty surprised at my actual sense of urgency rising when Madoka was trying to stop them from the mass suicide stuff.

DANG, HOW DID I KNOW? Sayaka, you crazy girl! What have you done?!

That Kyoko girl looks like bad news bears. Scared Curious to see what happens next.

cajunator

Banned
The MC of the book I'm writing has a huge-ass popped-out lapel.

They're just that bad-ass yo!
I seriously need to repaint the girl...

You have mad talent.

Have you drawn a catgirl yet like I requested?
A catgirl in your particular style would be really hnnng.

But that picture in a way reminds me of Comedy.
I don't really know why.

-Minsc-

Ghostlighting is continuing his series of posts on Cowboy Bebop - currently he's at episode 18 (see here).

Now, while I may not agree with every aspect of his writing style or approach I feel that his carefully considered, episode-by-episode run down of the show is the write right (had to do it, now go pick apart my posts) approach when trying to tackle a series. Most importantly, he's examining a work long after it came out - he's not trying to dash out a quick impression of the show that came to him 2 minutes after he watched it. He's gone back, re-watched the material and approached more seriously.

I find this kind of writing far more useful and interesting than the 'here's my imageblog' approach of many anime fans.

Coincidently this was one of my favourite episodes of Cowboy Bebop. The scene of the Bebop crew watching the video had a very surreal feeling to it. In a sense, it felt as if you
were Faye watching it while having no recollection of the events on screen.
The shift in tone from earlier in the episode really helps drive things home.

I'll have to re-watch this episode to see how it stands up to my long term memory.

cajunator

Banned
I dont remember the exact number, but my favorite Cowboy Bebop episode has the song Space Lion in it. That episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not at all, Mad Pierrot. I just don't see such activity as necessarily beneficial for the thread as a whole.

It's commendable that you won't compromise your vision for AnimeGAF just to achieve more activity.
cajun will probably get us to OT3 anyway, so no reason to violate your own posting style.

I dont remember the exact number, but my favorite Cowboy Bebop episode has the song Space Lion in it. That episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever.

Guess my favorite episode of Bebop. Just guess.

DiGiKerot

This is comedy. Watch it. Its short, and it has cute in it. But also something else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGKyQuQwdTc

I thought you meant it was something amusing for a minute there, rather than the Studio 4c short of that name. I've actually got the Grasshoppa! DVD that was originally on lying around somewhere. Volume 3, I think. That volumes also got this really crazy live action Hideaki Anno short film in which a former rock-star salary man battles a sexy lady for the last seat on the rush hour train. Kind of amazing.

Coincidently this was one of my favourite episodes of Cowboy Bebop. The scene of the Bebop crew watching the video had a very surreal feeling to it. In a sense, it felt as if you

I'll have to re-watch this episode to see how it stands up to my long term memory.

Its my favorite episode too. I still tear up every time at the end. ;_;

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You have mad talent.

Have you drawn a catgirl yet like I requested?
A catgirl in your particular style would be really hnnng.

But that picture in a way reminds me of Comedy.
I don't really know why.

Thanks!

I haven't had a chance to draw it yet 'cause I just got my new Photoshop yesterday and am doing some work for a friend that I started back in Feb.

That looks cool! What genre?

Despite the look of that image, RomCom + Mystery (well, mystery in the Scooby Doo sense in that there really isn't much of a mystery at all. Think 10-15 as the target audience)

cajunator

Banned
I thought you meant it was something amusing for a minute there, rather than the Studio 4c short of that name. I've actually got the Grasshoppa! DVD that was originally on lying around somewhere. Volume 3, I think. That volumes also got this really crazy live action Hideaki Anno short film in which a former rock-star salary man battles a sexy lady for the last seat on the rush hour train. Kind of amazing.

Yes. Its pretty awesome. Most of Studio 4Cs work is really amazing.
Especially stuff like noiseman sound Insect, which Im pretty sure inspired Tweeny witches/Mahou Shoujo Tai : Arusu)

and then there's this fucking GEM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugxa2F2-fs8

Jex

I'm not quite in the camp that claims that every episode is some kind of unrivalled masterpiece. However, like yourself, I found that episode to be fairly effective. Which is especially surprising considering it's about, you know, Faye, the apparently the most ridiculous character in the whole show.

Aim for the Ace 17:
The power of teamwork. It was nice to see them coming together and working to beat their opponents with some actual technique going on. This feels like a good turning point for most of the main characters in the show in terms of their relationships.

Cwarrior

Honestly, it's not so much the designs that bothers me as it is the art style. I always thought the rugged and manly art style being at odds with the bishounen and feminine character designs was really something special. Now it just looks like a Magical Girl series with dudes.

Agree, saint seiya was already shoujo-y with it bishounens, but this new one might as well be a magical girl show with its art style. So far from what I seen the colour palette is ugly, main problem I have with it is the clothes they look like some fancy coloured in leotards and not big fabulous shiny fancy armor meant to compensate for something(like owning a big fancy car or jewellery).

saintseiya.jpg

how the armor should look like

IKKI-D~2.jpg

postive note I have a feeling bird hair guys going to be the ikki of the show

The Berserk anime even had Umakoshi character designs!

8SlkY.jpg

dear god what did he do to caska, this man must be stoped :(

arton68.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Not every episode of cowboy Bebop is even that great. there are some pretty weak episodes in the lot. but even those are fun to watch. The music helps you get through them anyway.

/XX/

Yes. Its pretty awesome. Most of Studio 4Cs work is really amazing.
Especially stuff like noiseman sound Insect, which Im pretty sure inspired Tweeny witches/Mahou Shoujo Tai : Arusu)

and then there's this fucking GEM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugxa2F2-fs8
The problem of those shorts comes when you (irrationally) want more of them, even with those being well rounded and complete on their own as a imaginative demonstration...

I'm talking about you, Global Astroliner!

Uchip

Banned
Too true. Popped collars are a double edged sword.

this idiom never made much sense to me :S
I understand that it 'cuts both ways', but a sword having two edges is neither uncommon or harmful.
the arabs had a sword bias towards cutlasses or something

Geneijin

Yes this too. The direction and writing were pretty weak and disjointed. Even I can see that and as I discussed a little earlier it lost sight of what could have made the hsow better.
The direction was fine. The writing was disjointed. And the show knew what it wanted to be. It just became an unmemorable show.

While my ability to do that is on a lesser level than yours I do that myself, however the problem I feel with Ano Hana is that you could cull 8 out of the 11 episodes and it wouldn't feel like you missed anything, and considering that it was one big contiunous show that's just piss poor.
Disagree. It was paced like a 20+ episode show when it never had that time to.

iavi

The problem of those shorts comes when you (irrationally) want more of them, even with those being well rounded and complete on their own as a imaginative demonstration...

I'm talking about you, Global Astroliner!

Global Astroliner is my favorite piece of animation ever. I think i might have even spammed it in here a few times. Like, if I was ever given the chance to write/offer creative input on an anime project, I'd shape it to be something like it: The silliness, the M flo, the gangs, the duo of protags, so good.

cajunator

Banned
Global Astroliner is my favorite piece of animation ever. I think i might have even spammed it in here a few times. Like, if I was ever given the chance to write/offer creative input on an anime project, I'd shape it to be something like it: The silliness, the M flo, the gangs, the duo of protags, so good.

Have you watched "the Table and the fish"?

Martian Successor Nadesico 01

I can feel that i'm going to love this show. It has all the elements present.

Knowing you, I would say absolutely. you're going to go apeshit for Ruri.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom