• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought the premise was interesting but it just didn't catch me for some reason.

Ah My Goddess OAV 05
mSuiA.jpg
Oh, young Belldandy.
Huh, even with all the depressing feeling this one started with, I really liked how it ended. I have no idea if it was an original ending or something from the manga, but even then I still felt it was cute and a nice way to end this.
Now, I get watch the Mini Goddess series. A total 180 in mood it seems.

Noirulus

Despite the look of that image, RomCom + Mystery (well, mystery in the Scooby Doo sense in that there really isn't much of a mystery at all. Think 10-15 as the target audience)

How do you plan on publishing it?

You gotta let us know when you're done with it, i'll buy a copy :)

/XX/

Global Astroliner is my favorite piece of animation ever. I think i might have even spammed it in here a few times. Like, if I was ever given the chance to write/offer creative input on an anime project, I'd shape it to be something like it: The silliness, the M flo, the gangs, the duo of protags, so good.
Yeah. The setting laid out is enough to make it amazing. Even if it works perfectly as it is, and a consistent full project based on it would be much more difficult to make, I can't resist the interest... wanting some more.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
How do you plan on publishing it?

You gotta let us know when you're done with it, i'll buy a copy :)

At this point the entire industry is going toward e-publishing. I'm just deciding whether I want to do it myself or try going to a publisher. Leaning toward the former.

And thanks! (=´∀`)人(´∀`=)

Jex

Otakus know what they want.

That's not really a good thing, though. Especially if all the want is more forgettable rubbish.

In general, I've found that there's very few shows clearly crafted for the current generation of otaku's that I really care about.

cajunator

Banned
Well Studio 4C is pretty dmaned busy at the moment with BErserk. Unfortunately the results of their work look rather offputting. SOmething about the way the CG tries to mesh with hand dran and just doesn't quite work.

cajunator

Banned
That's not really a good thing, though. Especially if all the want is more forgettable rubbish.

In general, I've found that there's very few shows clearly crafted for the current generation of otaku's that I really care about.

I'm pretty sure Otaku's dont mind if a show is well written either. Just so long as it has hnnng in it. At least that's my view of things. If it has ALL the elements then even better.

Clearly the solution is to invent a brainwashing device and then brainwash the horde of Japanese otaku to want exactly what you want.

Jex

Clearly the solution is to invent a brainwashing device and then brainwash the horde of Japanese otaku to want exactly what you want.

We all know there's no way to give people good taste. American researchers in the 60's experiment all kinds of drugs and other coercion devices, but to no avail.

cajunator

Banned
That sounds pretty awful if true. Not to mention that there is no set standard for what "good taste" is.
Probably its one of those urban legends.

Guilty Crown 20

Rj9wA.jpg

Shu and Souta: bros for life.

Flashback episode, so not much to say. Nice to know Mana has always been a twisted psychobitch even at the age of 5.

I'm glad Shu didn't
give everyone back their Voids.
Was worried there would be no more helicoptering.

Geneijin

I'm pretty sure Otaku's dont mind if a show is well written either. Just so long as it has hnnng in it. At least that's my view of things. If it has ALL the elements then even better.
If they did, they wouldn't support shows like Infinite Stratos, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, and Persona 4.

cajunator

Banned
If they did, they wouldn't support shows like Infinite Stratos, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, and Persona 4.

While true that those are certifiable trainwrecks (though fun oneS), I mean that a show with all the moe elements in it might actually be written fairly well on top of that. theres no law of otakus saying a hnng show has to be shit.

Geneijin

While true that those are certifiable trainwrecks (though fun oneS), I mean that a show with all the moe elements in it might actually be written fairly well on top of that. theres no law of otakus saying a hnng show has to be shit.
Except they don't sell as well as badly written ones. It's all about that drug-inducing hit. Name me a well written one that sold comparatively to the bad ones in the past few years.

cajunator

Banned
Except they don't sell as well as badly written ones. It's all about that drug-inducing hit. Name me a well written one that sold comparatively to the bad ones in the past few years.

Well, Madoka Magica sold pretty damned well and it was at least intelligently written. By a beloved psychopath no less.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Persona Cuatro: La Caricatura 22: Charlie Tunoku is the best oniichan in anime today. ;_; Charlie.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT BEELZEBUB
HOLY FUCKING SHIT KOHRYU
HOLY FUCKING SHIT Sraosha?

Also hey guys did you know this was based on a video game? Cause I didn't know this was based on a video game.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I still haven't seen the Oreimo OVAs, does
the protag end up with Kuroneko
? Because if not, I think we can safely put the show in the not well-written category.

Geneijin

The animation is largely abysmal, sure, but since when is the writing bad?
Each episode opens in the velvet room before the OP and is mostly filler and rarely insightful, Yu spamming Personas is nothing but fan titillation for those who've played the game, no explanation is given to why Yu can fuse personas and is ultimately a bailout story mechanic in the anime with nods from the cast as a reference joke, the lackadaisical, disjointed approach to the main story because they don't care about cohesiveness at all, Yu is just as bad of an audience insert as any regular harem protagonist, the handling of social links by cramming them into an offshoot episode like the festival or Yu gonna Yu episode, the lack of character development for anybody, the inconsistency and terribleness in establishing tone or atmosphere throughout most of the series, and so forth - it's just a very lazy adaptation.

Well, Madoka Magica sold pretty damned well and it was at least intelligently written. By a beloved psychopath no less.
I'm confused. Why would you say a show with moe elements is a hnng show when that wouldn't be the main intent of the show?

cajunator

Banned
Each episode opens in the velvet room before the OP and is mostly filler and rarely insightful, Yu spamming Personas is nothing but fan titillation for those who've played the game, no explanation is given to why Yu can fuse personas and is ultimately a bailout story mechanic in the anime with nods from the cast as a reference joke, the lackadaisical, disjointed approach to the main story because they don't care about cohesiveness at all, Yu is just as bad of an audience insert as any regular harem protagonist, the handling of social links by cramming them into an offshoot episode like the festival or Yu gonna Yu episode, the lack of character development for anybody, the inconsistency and terribleness in establishing tone or atmosphere throughout most of the series, and so forth - it's just a very lazy adaptation.

I'm confused. Why would you say a show with moe elements is a hnng show when that wouldn't be the main intent of the show?

Its not a "hnng show" its a show with hnnng in it.
They are not the same thing. An example of a show purely intended to hnnng and nothing else is Lucky Star. Madoka Magica is not just girls being cute for the sake of it it has a story to tell besides that.

Narag

G Gundam 18

Bless Rain's cynicism regarding Domon's traiining. Chibodee's crew looks better in action girl garb than their crew uniforms too. I guess Schwarz Bruder is a practitioner of German Ninjutsu. even his Gundam is a freaking ninja.

This comes across as so petty.
qiuIA.png

G Gundam 19

I'm surprised the Russian crew leader actually sees the Devil Gundam as the true threat. Bolt Gundam vs Dragon Gundam was one of the better fights yet though.

Gundam 00 S2 6

Well I got my wish and the pace slowed to a boring crawl. Setsuna vs Mr. Bushido looked fun. Too bad I have to wait until the next episode.

Kaiji 3

The addition of stuff like leaping the chasm and the flimsy bridge add so much to tension. I didn't even realize I'd watched a full episode I was so caught up in things.

Sailor Moon 2

The interaction between Usagi and Luna has me laughing more than expected especially when Usagi asked for her reward. This Tuxedo Mask seems like a shifty fellow just disappearing like that. Usagi would be wise to steer clear of him.

Shin Mazinger 8

It's nice to see my feelings of Ashura being a sort of sympathetic villian be vindicated. Didn't catch it in the first ep either but Viscount Pygman's form is actually Jim Mazinger from the Violence Jack manga.

aF31B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom