• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Storm warnings issued for Philadelphia, NYC, Boston Wed night through Thurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Didn't see a thread.

6hkZfYX.jpg

Fgys7ge.jpg

2stUAmm.jpg

Winter Storm Niko will bring heavy snow to a sizable swath of the Interstate 95 Northeast corridor Wednesday night through Thursday. Many areas will pick up 6-12 inches of snow during this quick-hitting storm, with snowfall rates topping one inch per hour at times.

The snow will make for difficult road travel and will likely trigger significant flight delays Thursday in Boston, New York City, and Philadelphia.

Winter storm warnings are in effect for all of southern New England, southward into eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and parts of northern Delaware and northern Maryland. This includes the Boston, Providence, Hartford, New York City and Philadelphia.

A blizzard warning has been issued for Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket in Massachusetts as well as eastern Long Island in New York.

Winter storm watches extend into southern New Hampshire and coastal Maine. Winter weather advisories, for the potential of lighter snow accumulations, are posted in parts of Maryland, northern Virginia, central Pennsylvania and New York State, including Baltimore and Albany, New York.

Wednesday Night
  • Snow spreads from the Ohio Valley and Appalachians into the parts of the Mid-Atlantic states.
  • The line separating rain from snow is still somewhat uncertain, but looks to set up generally along I-95 near the Washington D.C. and Baltimore metro areas.
  • At least some snow is most likely overnight north of Interstate 95, including Philadelphia, the New York City Tri-State area and southern New England before dawn Thursday.

Thursday

• Snow, heavy for some, will linger in parts of the mid-Atlantic states as far north as New York City through the morning before tapering off/ending by early afternoon.
  • Farther north, snow, heavy at times, will persist much of the day in New England, especially in southern and eastern New England.
  • Snow will gradually taper off in far eastern New England Thursday night. They will be most persistent in Cape Cod (ocean-effect bands) and in Downeast Maine.
  • Winds will intensify quickly along the northeast coast Thursday, with gusts over 50 mph possible in far southeast New England, capable of some downed tree limbs and wires. Some minor coastal flooding is also possible in eastern Massachusetts.
  • Blizzard conditions are possible in coastal southeast Massachusetts and eastern Long Island.
  • Thursday AM commute impact: Philadelphia, Harrisburg, New York City, possibly parts of Baltimore and Washington D.C. metros; Flight delays likely.
  • Thursday PM commute impact: Boston, Hartford, New York City; Lingering flight delays possible as far south as Philadelphia.

How Much Snow?

• In general, heavy accumulations of a half-foot or more are possible from eastern
  • Pennsylvania and much of New Jersey into southern and eastern New England, including the Boston metro area, New York City Tri-State area and Philadelphia metro area.
  • Parts of Long Island, southeast New England and Downeast Maine could see up to a foot of snow.
  • Lighter amounts are forecast farther south into the mid-Atlantic region, including the Baltimore and Washington D.C. metros.
  • Blowing and drifting snow is likely, at times, in far southeastern Massachusetts, including Cape Cod, Nantucket Island and Martha's Vineyard, with whiteout conditions possible, Thursday and Thursday night.

vypek

Probably working from home tomorrow. Seems weird since it's been in the 60s today in the Philly area

Mesoian

My office is closed for tomorrow. Good one fashion snow day. Sanitation better still come around though, we have mad trash since the super bowl.

About damn time... What fun is winter when there's no snow. Haven't had shit all season so far, I'm ready for some damn snow!

Getting 12-14" supposedly in Massachusetts. Going to work from home tomorrow.
The commute this morning was a nightmare because of ice, dunno if anybody got caught in that 50 car pileup on 128 this morning.

Hexa

lol wat? Its 70 degrees right now. So even if it does snow, it probably won't really stick, right?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Thursday is my drive into the office and work day. Glad it is snowing so I can just stay home and work.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Most likely off tomorrow if it is bad. Going to the bar for trivia tonight now so my luck it won't be to bad.

tbm24

it's been 65 + degrees in nyc all day

what even is this storm
It's been pretty hilarious honestly. Today sweating on my commute to and from work, tomorrow braving the morning snow because my position can't be done from home..........😥.

gdt

Yeah I'm prepared here in PA. Work put me up in a hotel but I hope I can get home okay tomorrow afternoon.

dohdough

Putting my snow tires to work tomorrow!

The commute this morning was a nightmare because of ice, dunno if anybody got caught in that 50 car pileup on 128 this morning.

93 was snarled up pretty bad too.

Yeah this one isn't going to be fun. I work in logistics and everyone is getting their 2nd and 3rd backup plans ready for stockouts. Several major markets are going to get hit.

Stay safe out there.

dkeane

This morning was a shit show.
Office is already closed tomorrow - working from home.

Going to thank you guys in advance for when this crosses the gulf to us in the UK too and pray it lands in France instead this time.

In all seriousness though stay safe.

It's 67 degrees here in Southern NJ.

I don't think temps are going to crash fast enough for this storm.

The pavement will take longer to freeze than the grass will. Will probably just be a lawn-storm.

<sigh> Not exactly what I want to wake up to tomorrow morning. I should have more than enough salt and I have my trusty shovel. Hopefully it won't be so bad in NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom