• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major snowstorm about to hit the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just means I will drive the speed limit and let go of the gas in a turn and drift. Having lived through ice storms in Quebec and Halifax it's not difficult to drive on ice if you're used to it, even with all-seasons.

This is what our ice storms look like.

How are your tires gripping the road on ice? Drive the speed limit? Are you telling me you are driving 45-70 mph on an ice rink? Sorry I don't believe that.

Not to mention that Atlanta is very hilly. But i guess you can drive up and down hills covered in ice with no problem either.

pa22word

Drove home from work while it was falling earlier (~3am ct) here in Oklahoma City, and was cruising fine until I got behind someone with Texas plates going 15 MPH down the highway. Local news truck behind me kept acting like he was going to pass, but never worked up the stones. Not that I blame him, because me in my little Honda was not about to brave those drifts either lol

Here in OK we generally do okay I guess with the snow. We kind of straddle the line between the south and the Midwest anyways, and as I grew up in North West Oklahoma got my fair share of snow in my lifetime. Never heard any of the "South freaks out from snow" phenomenon here, anyways.

Falchion

I'm in Virginia Beach and they are calling for up to 8 inches which would be wild. Last year we just got an inch or two and that was enough to cause all kinds of problems here.

Torokil

Live and work in Raleigh. Ready for our yearly tradition of Mad Max: 5 Inches of Snow edition.

(that infamous pic with the car on fire is in Raleigh)

Wait, are you saying that you think northern/winter cities don't get black ice? 🤔

I'm saying a confluence of factors make black ice here (or even regular ice) something that can't be appreciated in cities that are used to it or are more flat.

Shit cracks me up when these cities shut down for like 2 inches of snow.

(I understand the valid reasons, but still cracks me up)

Stay safe and warm everyone.

I know lol, being from montreal thats just another day for us.

How are your tires gripping the road on ice? Drive the speed limit? Are you telling me you are driving 45-70 mph on an ice rink? Sorry I don't believe that.

Not to mention that Atlanta is very hilly. But i guess you can drive up and down hills covered in ice with no problem either.

people generally just slow down below the limit. causes traffic galore but its doable.

Slayven

Snow has returned.
ZsuW4ky.jpg

Well, this time we're dead for sure. Make sure my belongings are buried with me, in accordance with my bullshit religion.
Can I have your stuff?

The raleigh-durham numbers are approaching disaster-grade amounts for the area but the real danger is that Sunday night it is going to get down near 0. Infrastructure and homes this far south aren't really built with temperatures that cold in mind and you can see some dangerous situations come about when it gets this cold. If you have people in need or the elderly living nearby, do go over and make sure they are safe after the snow stops falling.

I live in the dirty D and don't expect to be able to drive my car anywhere until Tuesday afternoon at the very earliest-secondary roads will be under more than a half foot of packed snow and cleared/melted main roads will stay refreeze and stay that way until Tuesday.

enewtabie

The raleigh-durham numbers are approaching disaster-grade amounts for the area but the real danger is that Sunday night it is going to get down near 0. Infrastructure and homes this far south aren't really built with temperatures that cold in mind and you can see some dangerous situations come about when it gets this cold. If you have people in need or the elderly living nearby, do go over and make sure they are safe after the snow stops falling.

I live in the dirty D and don't expect to be able to drive my car anywhere until Tuesday afternoon at the very earliest-secondary roads will be under more than a half foot of packed snow and cleared/melted main roads will stay refreeze and stay that way until Tuesday.

Yep, I'm close to you and the main interstate 85 might be ok but secondary will be trash.

Mathieran

Banned
Weekend ruined here in Raleigh. Hope this stuff doesn't stick around for long.

I'm in Durham and I've been here 3 winters now. Even 3 inches of snow debilitates this town for 2-3 days. I'm planning on missing work til at least Tuesday

It's looking warm later this week so hopefully it will melt by next weekend.

im in ATL. i don't think there will be much snow. but that doesn't really matter, even half an inch is too much for us in the south, we are usually woefully unprepared for any at all.

hom3land

Rdu forecast. 7 inches of snow, then 2 inches of sleet, followed aby another 2 to 3 inches. Damn need more beer. Not leaving the house til Monday afternoon

Yeah this is true. Was that on Glenwood Ave?

Yep right near the 540 interchange.

edit: This storm is one of the few times when it's actually less shitty to be in Holly Springs or one of the other southern wake co. white flight burbs than Durham. :/

I'm in Newport News VA and they are calling for almost a foot of snow now. I've only been living in the area for a few years but that's crazy for down here.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So, in from Alabama and I don't get the milk and bread jokes

People tend to load up on staples when they're expecting a lot of snow because they might not be able to get out of the house for a few days if things get bad enough. If you get to the grocery store in the midwest too late before a big winter storm you are going to have a hard time finding milk, eggs, bread, etc. I assume everyone stays cozy in their houses making loads of French toast.

I'm currently in FL on vacation. Me and my GF were planning on driving back home to NYC early tomorrow morning but now we're like ehh.

Stay safe, everyone!

hom3land

People tend to load up on staples when they're expecting a lot of snow because they might not be able to get out of the house for a few days if things get bad enough. If you get to the grocery store in the midwest too late before a big winter storm you are going to have a hard time finding milk, eggs, bread, etc. I assume everyone stays cozy in their houses making loads of French toast.

I haven't bought bread in a month.. But realized all my appliances are electric so if I lose power I'm screwed. Bought bread just in case I have to fall back to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

East ATL.

Stay safe, everyone.

Decided to wait in line for some pineapple & coconut juice. Not going through this weekend with 2 bottles of rum and no chase.

vegohead

I had a camping reservation that was just cancelled at Lake Anna in Virginia from Sunday to Tuesday.

This sucks, I was really looking forward to the trip. :(

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Sleet out here in Bremen and Carrollton, GA. Its starting about 3 hours earlier than the AM forecasts were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom