• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 03•10-12•17 - Giant gorilla, just like in one of those old video games, king

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following May 2007 was fucking bonkers; those 3 were the biggest franchises Hollywood had at the time. It would be like if Universal for some reason decided to move up Jurassic World 2 to the same month as Avengers 3 and the Han Solo flick. Which, at the very least, would make for some very entertaining GAF threads.

I do think that month makes an interesting argument that a rising tide lifts all boats when it comes to summer blockbusters. Everyone's worried that people will get their profits eaten into, but that month seems to argue that the more phenomenons at the multiplex at the same time, the more people end up going to the theater.

Problem being studios don't like making deals with exhibitors where films only get a single week tops on the biggest/most screens in a theater.

mcfrank

It'll be interesting to watch Beauty and the Beast. I think word of mouth might be quite a bit better than some of the reviews indicate. My wife and her cousin just got back from the movie and they both loved it, and were saying Disney did an amazing job.

Film is gonna do some crazy business that's for sure.

My wife liked it a lot and I didn't hate it. That is probably a win in Disneys books. Was less crowded than I expected, but the theater I went to had a showing every 15 minutes all day today.

Deadline has updated Beast's Saturday number: $60-62M. At the high end it would definitely hit $170M for the weekend, and possibly near $175M.
I do think that month makes an interesting argument that a rising tide lifts all boats when it comes to summer blockbusters. Everyone's worried that people will get their profits eaten into, but that month seems to argue that the more phenomenons at the multiplex at the same time, the more people end up going to the theater.

Problem being studios don't like making deals with exhibitors where films only get a single week tops on the biggest/most screens in a theater.
Actually, all three films—but moreso Shrek and Pirates—had domestic runs that were considered disappointing. It's hard to say whether that result was due to competition or the fact that all three flicks were pretty damn terrible.

Some distributors are trying to cut release windows shorter and shorter, so it is possible that we see more and huge blockbusters near each other.

It's hard to say whether that result was due to competition or the fact that all three flicks were pretty damn terrible.

Some distributors are trying to cut release windows shorter and shorter, so it is possible that we see more and huge blockbusters near each other.

I'd be willing to bet it's more that the films were all ungreat to varying degrees more than anything else.

Spider-Man 3 was coming off of Spider-Man 2, so expectations were high.
Shrek 3 was coming off of Shrek 2, which made an ungodly amount of money for some reason.
Pirates 3 was the conclusion to the series and coming off of a cliffhanger ending to Dead Man's Chest.

All three were varying levels of crap. Hell, I can't even remember much of anything from Shrek 3 right now.

GhaleonEB

It actually has an impressive cast.

I remember thinking the trailer didn't look terrible, and it had a good cast. Wikipedia says it was hell to release because the studio went under:

The film was scheduled to be released on October 30, 2015, by Relativity Media. However, when Relativity filed for bankruptcy, producers had put the film back on the market. In September 2015, it was announced Open Road Films would distribute the film apart of an audit statement. In October 2015, Open Road set an April 1, 2016, release date for the film. It was then pushed back to August 19. In September 2016, it was pushed back to February 3, 2017. In January 2017, the film was pushed back to February 24, 2017.

Looks like it was in the can before Jones was even cast in Rogue One.

AndyVirus

If Beauty and the Beast has legs like Jungle Book, what numbers could we be talking at the end? I was sure it'd hit $1b, but with this opening and a strong hold, could it go as high as say, 1.3b?

Jacce

Banned
Is Kong considered a success? I am curious to see if did well enough to still go ahead with Godzilla vs. King Kong.

gamz

Is Kong considered a success? I am curious to see if did well enough to still go ahead with Godzilla vs. King Kong.

We aren't sure yet. It's only their second weekend. Japan and China is next weekend.

28M and a 53% drop is good this weekend.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) Beauty and the Beast - $170M (new March record)
2) Kong: Skull Island - $28.8M (-53%) - $110M total
3) Logan - $17.5M (-54%) - $184M total
4) Get Out - $14.2M (-36%) - $133M total
5) The Shack - $6.1M (-39%) - $43M total

Disney is being slow this weekend. Here is the rest of the top 5. Will update with BatB when available.

gamz

M. Night Shyamalan‏Verified account @MNightShyamalan

Want to thank everyone as #Split crosses 250million world wide. Astonishing. Crew and cast jumping up & down.

Good stuff!

3N16MA

Banned
Beast DOM total based on the multiplier from previous Disney animated to live action films:

Alice - 490M
Alice 2 - 488M
Cinderella - 503M
Maleficent - 593M
Jungle Book - 600M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom