• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•02-04•17 - Amazon princess crowned box office Queen and saves DCEU

Wonder Woman has achieved a 1.98 multiplier in 10 days, while BvS only managed a 1.99 in the end.

I think it just bears repeating how different this run has been from other DCEU films.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wonder Woman has achieved a 1.98 multiplier in 10 days, while BvS only managed a 1.99 in the end.

I think it just bears repeating how different this run has been from other DCEU films.

Once again:

syNLuwC.jpg

witness

Slightly optimistic but realistic path for Wonder Woman

First weekend: $103M
First set of weekdays: $45M

Second Weekend: $57M (-45%)
Second set of weekdays: $25M (-44%)

Third Weekend: $34M (-40%)
Third set of weekdays: $14M (-44%. Lower drops during the start of the week. but Transformers 5 launches Wednesday)

Total after 3 weeks = 148 + 82 + 48 = $278M

With 45% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $48.5M, for $326M total. Maybe another $20M for the rest of its run.

With 50% drops in the following 3 weeks (weeks 4-6), you get another $42M, for a total of $320M. Rest of run from that would be $15-20.

Either way, I think that BvS is done unless WW gets hit harder than expected next weekend or the one after. $320M is probably the floor

After the reviews I had a feeling it would pass BvS domestically. What an incredible second weekend hold.

How much extra screen time are we predicting Wonder Woman to get in the next Justice League trailer?

Like I said if DC doesn't start just designing the entire DCU around her at this point they are making a massive error.

She's a FAR better character than what they've done with their version of Supes and Bats

I have yet to hear a positive thing about that movie. From the bait and switch marketing/title, to just not enjoying it. I was planning on seeing it but will pass.
If you're into arthouse horror films and won't be angry about an almost comically abrupt ending, I would give it a watch. It's got some incredibly tense scenes and I was gripping the armrests of my chair during most of the last 20 minutes.

3N16MA

Banned
That's an incredible hold. My optimistic DOM total of MoS numbers is going to be crushed.

I'm too lazy to look it up so I will wait for Kswiss to come up with the data on where this stands.

kswiston

Does Disney want to gamble that Bloom and Kiera returning will boost it back up again?

Or let it die for a decade or so, and reboot.

I'm going with the latter. A cheaper reboot in a decade.

I think that Pirates 5 will end in the black by an OK amount if Disney wasn't lying about the production budget my a large percentage.

However, we are really into diminishing returns at this point. Why risk an Ice Age 5 with the next film? Disney should quit while they are ahead with the Pirates franchise.

At the least the bright side with the Dark Universe, Warner Bros are going to be looking at the results there as motivation to make sure to not fuck up the film in the editing and final process. They must be putting all stops with this film to be a hit no matter what.

Would people agree that Justice League is WB most important film to be a critical hit in recent years?
That would be Wonder Woman.

If it bombed with an Oscar winning director behind the camera then DCEU would be on life support by the time JL came out.

Buuut the opposite happened and I think DC could absorb another 30% RT 600million movie.

Schlorgan

Man I felt optimistic with my 52 prediction for the weekend and it managed 57. Crazy. If this really passes BvS domestic that's insane. No one would have imagined such a thing being possible few years ago. A stand alone Wonder Woman beating the first on screen combo of Bats and Supes
Bet Warner is glad for Rotten Tomatoes now.

The reviews and WOM did this.

Not

Banned
That's rather true, especially the first actual female super hero that's a big hit and reaching a modern audience and getting universal appraisal. WB beat Marvel to the punch there, but I am going to be honest and say that DC has an incredible rich amount of female characters they have where Marvel is going to struggle with.

avengers%20big.jpg

Hmmm, you may be right actually

AndyVirus

Do we still get #6 or is this it?

If the 5th was regarded as good I'd say we'd definitely get a 6th, despite the box office being considerably down. But a negative reception for the third film in a row suggests it's unlikely to me. I don't know how they could turn the tide (heh) back towards the billion direction.

Man I felt optimistic with my 52 prediction for the weekend and it managed 57. Crazy. If this really passes BvS domestic that's insane. No one would have imagined such a thing being possible few years ago. A stand alone Wonder Woman beating the first on screen combo of Bats and Supes

Wonder Woman laughs at such competition.

I'm pretty sure all film studios, not just WB are stunned by WW. All the old "knowledge" of female directors/action heros not being lucrative just got toasted.

I have yet to hear a positive thing about that movie. From the bait and switch marketing/title, to just not enjoying it. I was planning on seeing it but will pass.
If you like intense thrillers and bleak disturbing atmosphere, check it out. It does a lot with so little, and isn't afraid to strip away the good-bad facade we usually see in post-apocalyptic movies

Top Bottom